Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The all-encompassing Garbage Pail Kid Thread (All Eras)

The all-encompassing Garbage Pail Kid Thread (All Eras)

I certainly was. Who else was a fan of those gross but cool stickers? I just ran across some old one's I had as a kid. I'm not too sure what the allure was but it was there nonetheless. I always wanted Adam Bomb from the first series but could never find him. I also liked Cranky Frankie (named after me I'd always say) Fess up people, who was a fan and what were your stories?

I bought a few here and there, still have them somewhere. Remember the live action movie they made?
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I liked 'em as a kid and had lots of the cards. I stole a pack of cards from "the store out on the corner" my dad frequented mornings before he would start farming. I remember looking at 'em in my room and feeling overwhelmed with guilt that I stole them.

Guess Jiminy Cricket still does his job, lol.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

One night when I was an altair boy, counting down the time till Dad drove me to mindnight mass, I noticed our stockings had already been placed out. Sticking out of mine was a GPK card. I snuck my hand in and pulled out card after card, all the while making sure Dad's eyes didn't leave the TV.

That was a good Christmas.

I love these things! I still have a few of my old cards from my childhood, all from the 11th series and only one from the 10th. And not long ago I adquired the entire 10th series in very good condition (unlike my old cards).

I love GPK. I still collect them. I have all the 15 old sets and all 6 of the new series as well

GPK rocks!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    I love GPK. I still collect them. I have all the 15 old sets and all 6 of the new series as well

GPK rocks!
    Same here, did anyone else get the cartoon on dvd? I was so happy to see it finally released in the US and then laugh at how silly it was and how it was "banned" and super controversial at the time that it never really aired
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Same here, did anyone else get the cartoon on dvd? I was so happy to see it finally released in the US and then laugh at how silly it was and how it was "banned" and super controversial at the time that it never really aired

I saw it al walmart when it first hit the streets. i was tempted. i still have all my old stickers from back in the day. some people at work have picked some up on occassion for *****s and giggles. but i'm still a fan!

I still have all of mine from the 1st series and on!! I even have the big carded GPK's.
    Formerly known as wrestling fanatic

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    <=== Disgustin' Justin

Love em. I remember I had them stuck all over my door to my room, elementary school books, all kinds of stuff.

GPK are a great memory to me of a great time period.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like very much to put together sets of the first few series, as well as the giant set of series one cards.

maybe one day, when I own my own shop.

I highly recommend the cartoon, very interesting.

Those super sized gpk's are the bomb as well.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Loved these as a kid.

I've never seen the cartoon, but maybe now I will. How many episodes are there?

I had some too. I remember I had one that was shaving his face off...?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Loved these as a kid.

I've never seen the cartoon, but maybe now I will. How many episodes are there?
    There was 13 episodes. Paramount Home Entertainment released Garbage Pail Kids: The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1 on April 4,2006. Their is an episode posted on youtube. Read more on the cartoon here
    Formerly known as wrestling fanatic

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I wonder if there was ever any outcry against these, or attempted lawsuits or anything from the company behind Cabbage Patch Kids?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I wonder if there was ever any outcry against these, or attempted lawsuits or anything from the company behind Cabbage Patch Kids?
    Oh yes, there was massive outcry from parents (you should try and look up news about the cartoon, parents and family advocate groups just about crapped themselves even though the cartoon was campy and not gross in the least)

Also Topps did get sued for trademark infringement.
    As part of the out-of-court settlement, Topps agreed to modify the appearance of the Garbage Pail Kids to remove the resemblance between the characters
    But as you know that did not really happen, the line of cards died shortly thereafter (I think it was on series 15 or so)

Thankfully it was resurrected a few years back and has been great ever since

Has anyone visited the site of the original artist for GPK John Pound?

He has original card art as well as (he used to anyway) do commissions of GPK characters
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Remember them? I collect them lol! as for the movie I like to think its the one movie that represents the 80s(a movie based on stickers? the bad guy dressed like don johnson? a cindy lauper lookalike whats not to love?)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

my brother and i would spend our money on these things, but we distinctly remember our mom hating them. can't remember how our dad felt about them. anyway, there was a convenience store a few blocks away from our house that we'd get them from. there was one time when we had just come back from there with a few packs of them when we saw our mom coming (i think she was running errands or something). we were on the porch at the time and my brother had this bright idea to hide them in the flower bed. she would NEVER look there! of course, it wasn't too long before she started working in that same flower bed and discovered our new GPKs.

years later we were in high school and my parents were going through some things in their closet. they came across a shoe box full of confiscated GPKs. my mom didn't seem to think they were such a bad influence any more, so she let us have them finally. we still don't know exactly why she kept them. maybe it was because we'd spent what little change we could find on them. maybe she secretly thought they were funny. but when we found out she had saved them all this time, she became a lot cooler.

I can relate back in "the day" I use to spend my lunch money on them(maybe thats why I'm so thin now? lol!)they have the effect of being cute yet gross at the same time.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I had all the third series Garbage Pail Kids. I collected for awhile longer, but eventually the characters were just plain gross without any fun to them, so I stopped collecting.

I have the movie on DVD. I was majorly irked when the Garage Pail Kids cartoon didn't come out in the 80s like it was suppose to. I ended up getting the DVD of the series when it came out a couple years back. It is ok. There is a thread about it here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=130554

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Also Topps did get sued for trademark infringement.

Huh. I'd imagine that would be protected as a parody or satire, but maybe that law wasn't in effect back then.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s fanatic View Post
    There was 13 episodes. Paramount Home Entertainment released Garbage Pail Kids: The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1 on April 4,2006. Their is an episode posted on youtube. Read more on the cartoon here
    Watched the episode on YouTube. Creepy goodness. I'm ordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jester View Post
    Huh. I'd imagine that would be protected as a parody or satire, but maybe that law wasn't in effect back then.
    Yeah I am not sure how that worked in 1987-ish when the lawsuit was filled, I think Topps settled more to get it out of the way
    Watched the episode on YouTube. Creepy goodness. I'm ordering it.
    Yeah its really a quirky little show, its amazing how big the controversy was, if I remember the 1st episode never even aired only the commercials

For almost a decade the only way to see the show as a vhs fan compilation from the Netherlands where it aired

It's amazing that there are so many GPK fans still out there, I'm glad. I knew of the new series but haven't been following it, I think I will now. I don't think I ever saw the movie. Is the new series still ongoing or is it over?