Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Gardening Thread

2012 Gardening Thread

Well, it's that time of year again. Time to get out the tiller (or pots) and start planting. So, yesterday I got the tiller out and tilled up my garden area and let it dry. Today I added some compost and manure...then tilled it again before planting cold crops (cabbage, broccoli, red & white potatoes, onions, garlic, and lettuce).

After growing up on a 100-acre fruit & vegetable farm, I always LOVE this time of year!!! I have always had a big garden: (1) for growing fruits/ vegetables to eat fresh/ can, and (2) for growing fruits/ vegetables to display in the Kentucky State Fair. However, this year I am planting a smaller garden, but excited nonetheless.

Once May-June arrives I will plant my other vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, cucumbers, etc.)

So, what is everyone else planting this year?
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; July 18, 2012 at 08:50am.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Brassy Baroness
    Not as impressive of a spread as you that's for sure!!

I have my cold weather planted. Just direct seed since it's so nice outside and will be for a bit. This includes pak choi, collards, rainbow Swiss chard, spinach, and French breakfast radishes. I'm still hunting down Tuscan kale. My strawberries are already popping up and the same for the rhubarb. I do square foot gardening so while it looks like a lot, they are just small plots of each. I'm still trying to decide if I will plant a crop of rainbow carrots in the tomato plot before I plant the tomatoes.

Later I will plant lettuce and mescaline, tomatoes, borage, chervil, oregano, cilantro, savory, thyme, sweet basil, Thai basil, and jalapenos.

In short, I only plant $$ vegetables and herbs that don't drop in price even in the summer. Peppers, squash, corn, melon, cabbage, and cumbers are cheap in the summer. So they are not worth using up precious real estate for them.

Now if I had more space, I would.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Tomatoes in a Topsy Turvy. Does that count?
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Brassy Baroness
    Oh heck yeah! Tomatoes straight of the vine are far superior to anything from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Me to

And I don't even like tomatoes, in fact the taste of them induces projectile vomiting with me.

But everyone else in my family likes them

also have some Habenero and Cayenne Peppers that are growing nicely
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Not as impressive of a spread as you that's for sure!!

I have my cold weather planted. Just direct seed since it's so nice outside and will be for a bit. This includes pak choi, collards, rainbow Swiss chard, spinach, and French breakfast radishes. I'm still hunting down Tuscan kale. My strawberries are already popping up and the same for the rhubarb. I do square foot gardening so while it looks like a lot, they are just small plots of each. I'm still trying to decide if I will plant a crop of rainbow carrots in the tomato plot before I plant the tomatoes.

Later I will plant lettuce and mescaline, tomatoes, borage, chervil, oregano, cilantro, savory, thyme, sweet basil, Thai basil, and jalapenos.

In short, I only plant $$ vegetables and herbs that don't drop in price even in the summer. Peppers, squash, corn, melon, cabbage, and cumbers are cheap in the summer. So they are not worth using up precious real estate for them.

Now if I had more space, I would.
    You have quite the spread Judith! Love that you grow all of the leafy greens and herbs. I need to take more time to do that also.

I just picked my first asparagus sprouts a few days ago. YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    YES, of course it does! You can also use a topsy turvy for strawberries, cucumber, peppers, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Me to

And I don't even like tomatoes, in fact the taste of them induces projectile vomiting with me.

I often grow things I don't like either. Some things I grow simply because they are fun to grow or because they show well at the state fair.

I can't handle hot peppers though. I am a wuss. LOL.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    I have a row of planters around the outside of my deck, which I believe were intended for flowers that I'm going to plant cucumbers in. Two years ago, I rigged a fencing system (using plastic fencing) going from the floor to ceiling of my deck to let the cukes climb up as they grow. It worked like a charm, but I didn't use ALL the planters dangit. Big healthy cukes, and it was nice cuz when I wanted one for a sandwich or whatever, I just walked out my back door and grabbed one straight off the vine. Here's a pic:
    Cucumbers2010 002.jpg

(Had a couple chille pepper plants there to the left, hahaha!)

I'm going to try it again this year, this time using ALL the planters. Can't wait! I'll post pics of the progress, too.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    I have a row of planters around the outside of my deck, which I believe were intended for flowers that I'm going to plant cucumbers in. Two years ago, I rigged a fencing system (using plastic fencing) going from the floor to ceiling of my deck to let the cukes climb up as they grow. It worked like a charm, but I didn't use ALL the planters dangit. Big healthy cukes, and it was nice cuz when I wanted one for a sandwich or whatever, I just walked out my back door and grabbed one straight off the vine.

(Had a couple chille pepper plants there to the left, hahaha!)

I'm going to try it again this year, this time using ALL the planters. Can't wait! I'll post pics of the progress, too.
    LOVE cucumbers. Can't get enough of them! Great use of space TJRules!

Here is a pic of the asparagus I picked this week.

Attachment 74410

Brassy Baroness
    MOTU_Maniac, the asparagus looks so good! I love when it comes in season! I buy so much and one day when I buy a house I hope to plant it. How old is your asparagus roots? I hear they don't do well for a few years. Have you ever harvested them white?

TJRules, I wish I had that kind of trellis. I just do a Florida weave for my tomatoes, but that would be a better set up for tomatoes as well. What kind of cucumbers do you grow? I've never had success with them.

Tuscan kale and rainbow carrots also planted now! *excited*

MOTU_Maniac, the asparagus looks so good! I love when it comes in season! I buy so much and one day when I buy a house I hope to plant it. How old is your asparagus roots? I hear they don't do well for a few years. Have you ever harvested them white?

Tuscan kale and rainbow carrots also planted now! *excited*
    I planted 1 year old asparagus crowns in early spring 2009, making this the 4th year. The 1st year you don't harvest any of the spears and let the shoots "fern out". (This supplies food and nutrients to the roots all season so they can grow big and store enough food for the next growing season). The 2nd year you only harvest spears for 1-2 weeks then let the rest "fern out". The 3rd year you can harvest spears for 3-4 weeks and then let them "fern out". And finally in the 4th year (which I am in now) you can harvest ALL season! So, this will be the first year I can harvest spears for 6-8 weeks. YAY!!

I considered planting rainbow carrots this year for the fair, but decided to down-size. Can't wait to see some pictures!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    TJRules, I wish I had that kind of trellis. I just do a Florida weave for my tomatoes, but that would be a better set up for tomatoes as well. What kind of cucumbers do you grow? I've never had success with them.
    I don't use a trellis. I just use plastic fencing (like chicken wire stuff) and literally nail it into the deck and stretch it from top to bottom. You gotta help the cukes know where to go sometimes by keeping them on the fence, but it's the best way to grow them. I usually don't get one cuke less than 6 inches long, and they're beautiful and delicious.

I usually use what's called a hybrid "dasher" cuke. I go to the local nursery in town and buy them as plants. I've never had good luck growing them from seeds. I put grass clippings around the plants to keep the weeds out and the soil moist.

I've not tried tomatoes that way, but I bet you're right - that would be a good way to grow them.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    LOVE cucumbers. Can't get enough of them! Great use of space TJRules!
    Thanks!
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    I don't use a trellis. I just use plastic fencing (like chicken wire stuff) and literally nail it into the deck and stretch it from top to bottom. You gotta help the cukes know where to go sometimes by keeping them on the fence, but it's the best way to grow them. I usually don't get one cuke less than 6 inches long, and they're beautiful and delicious.

I usually use what's called a hybrid "dasher" cuke. I go to the local nursery in town and buy them as plants. I've never had good luck growing them from seeds. I put grass clippings around the plants to keep the weeds out and the soil moist.

I've not tried tomatoes that way, but I bet you're right - that would be a good way to grow them.

A trellis/ chicken wire is also good for Sugar Snap Peas (if you like them).

I've decided not to do it this year.

But good luck everyone. The weather will be an interesting factor. Wonder if it will be a hot warm one with little rain.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I want to garden, but I have no idea where to begin.! Well, I know I should start outside..

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I want to garden, but I have no idea where to begin.! Well, I know I should start outside..
    Well, the fact that you want to garden is a start.

Right now is the best time to plant cold crops (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, potatos, lettuce, carrots, and other leafy vegetables).

Also, you can always contact your local agriculture extension service and they can give you all kinds of pointers and probably even printouts on gardening.

**I also grew up on a 100-acre produce farm, so if you ever have any questions just PM me and I will do my best to help.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; March 29, 2012 at 09:37am.

Brassy Baroness
    Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    MOTU_Maniac, had some good suggestions. But what you may want to first do is figure out what you like. For instance, if you don't like tomatoes, suddenly planting a tomato bush will not change that.

Also there are high yielding plants that are more encouraging than some of the needier ones. For instance, rhubarb takes a few years to mature. Like asparagus, there was little or no yield the first and second year, but after that you will get a real crop. Where as for my kale, I planted it in April last year and had my last harvest in December. Several times a week, I had kale on the menu. Typically greens like lettuce, kale, chard, herbs, and cabbages are high yielding where as strawberries, some tomatoes, and squash will have a high yield during their season, but little before or after it.

When I first started out, I started out small. I love strawberries so I had a few strawberry pots and grew herbs on my front porch. They needed little tending, just some watering really. Perhaps a small container gardening would be a good place to start.

I am in the process of digging over the soil in my back yard / garden. The only problem is my soil is of the heavy clay variety and if anyone has had to dig through that they will know how much of a pain it is. The plus side is that clay soil is rich in nutrients (tho that means weeds like it a lot as well)

Master of New Adventures!
    Me to

Planting any wolfsbane, wolfy? It's said to keep werewolves sane and rational.

I am in the process of digging over the soil in my back yard / garden. The only problem is my soil is of the heavy clay variety and if anyone has had to dig through that they will know how much of a pain it is. The plus side is that clay soil is rich in nutrients (tho that means weeds like it a lot as well)
    Working up clay soil is a heavy burden and will take 1-3 years, but with enough work and organic material it can become very fertile and loamy.

The only cure for clay is to ADD organic material (grass clippings, straw (NOT hay as hay contains seeds), compost, leaves, saw dust, mulch, manure, coffee grounds, etc.) and then TILL, TILL, TILL.

Often people think adding fertilizer will cure clay or any ground problem. Fertilizer only cures a chemical deficiency in the ground (which can only be found by doing a soil sample test). Having hard, clay ground is a mechanical problem and can only be fixed with mechanical means = hard work/ tilling AND adding organic material which will allow air between dirt.

And you are right, weeds LOVE clay for some reason. lol.

or say "sod all this hard work" and just replace it all with concrete

My wife put together a nice flower / plant display last year. I helped a little.
    I'm not sure what she's planing this year, but I was wondering . . Is it important to remove last years dead plant material? She doesn't have a lot of gardening experience, so she doesn't know either.

or say "sod all this hard work" and just replace it all with concrete
    Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    My wife put together a nice flower / plant display last year. I helped a little.
    I'm not sure what she's planing this year, but I was wondering . . Is it important to remove last years dead plant material? She doesn't have a lot of gardening experience, so she doesn't know either.
    Yes, remove all dead plant material

--------------------------------------------------

UPDATES:

~Still getting LOTS of asparagus (which I eat about every other day)

~Green Onions are now coming up

~Potato plants are growing like crazy. I have hilled them 2x already

~Planted cucumbers

What about everyone else? What's the latest?
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; April 23, 2012 at 04:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Got some potatoes and asparagus going. Just planted some tomato plants. Going to actually have part of my yard tilled this year but haven't done anything other than put up the rabbit fence yet. Oh, and I also have peas growing.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; April 24, 2012 at 07:04am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Sister Edith is in the hospital this week. She is having trouble sleeping and has requested tapes of Pastor Dave's sermons..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Got some potatoes and asparagus going. Just planted some tomato plants. Going to actually have part of my yard tilled this year but haven't done anything other than put up the rabbit fence yet. Oh, and I also have peas growing.
    Awesome news (especially about the asparagus)! I love asparagus (but my wife hates it).

Mine is on it's 4th growing year and I have WAY TOO MUCH, so I eat a big helping of it every other day. Need a new recipe though since right now I just boil with salt, pepper, butter, and a little sugar added in

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Awesome news (especially about the asparagus)! I love asparagus (but my wife hates it).

Mine is on it's 4th growing year and I have WAY TOO MUCH, so I eat a big helping of it every other day. Need a new recipe though since right now I just boil with salt, pepper, butter, and a little sugar added in
    Mine is not that numerous yet. Second year growing it and it came up volunteer. Had one good batch of it so far. The wife and I both like it, usually just eat it boiled although sometimes with Bernaise sauce or cheese sauce. Those are both pretty good with it.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Sister Edith is in the hospital this week. She is having trouble sleeping and has requested tapes of Pastor Dave's sermons..."