Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After 23 years I'm finally watching the NA cartoon!

LOL. Yeah, I figured it wasn't something you had control over. But certainly something I would have tried to speak to the higher-ups about. After all, they could have simply put out a variant he-man with a shirt.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

My son has shown interest in the series from the previews on the He-Man Season 2 v.2 dvd but I hated it as a kid (it was too different looking and just not He-man to me) and never gave it another chance. Hoping it shows up on Netflix and then we'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll too be a convert someday.

I think you'll find you can get volume 1 on amazon very cheaply (If I can afford it, anyone can; frankly.) Volume 2 is far more costly, but you won't need to buy it if you don't like volume 1

I'm only through the first 2 discs in volume 1, so I'm hardly an expert on the subject. But basically, there's a lot of little things that are hurting it. He runs around with no shirt, and no one ever notices or comments on the fact that he is buff. Moreover, none of the other characters are interested in displaying their own wares. He looks as out of place as I would if I walked into Gold's Gym wearing a tuxedo

This is kind of supposed to be "He-man in space". He does have more of a Flash Gordon look to him, but then he goes around with his shirt off for some reason which isn't at all clear.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; May 2, 2012 at 02:14am.

Master of New Adventures!
    I don't believe I've ever heard anyone take issue with the fact that romance book cover model Fabio does the same thing.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...6FORM%3DIDFRIR

Fabio. LLLLLOOOOLLLLLL.

He fits pretty well into the MOTU mold with that physique and hair. He would make a great custom.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; May 2, 2012 at 03:07pm.

Forget NA...what do you think of She-Ra???

I don't have any She-ra comments to make. I looked into getting them, but they cost $70+ for the BCI release. Too costly.

Oh my mistake. I thought you'd said you'd picked up NA and She-Ra both on DVD...

When I was a kid, New Adventures came on at 5:00 am, which meant that I only saw it once, when my family was going out of town and we had to get up really early. But that one episode left a bad taste in my mouth. In fact, I was nearly traumatized from the experience! "How could they have done that to He-Man," I sobbed. I thought the whole thing was a bad dream until I came across some of the figures at Big Lots.

But now as an adult I'm watching the show objectively for the first time, and here's what I can say about it.

PROS: The animation is pretty good, better than Filmation. I like the writing overall. He-Man is voiced well.

CONS: The characterizations are pretty weak. The characters from Eternia have nothing in common with the way they were portrayed previously. They look ridiculous (especially Skeletor). Skeletor sounds like a cross between William Shatner and Adam West. Most of the other characters sound pretty bad as well. The token lame characters are annoying to the extreme. The space/future thing is so hackneyed that it's hard to disconnect from the feeling that "yes, this is actually the direction that they decided to go in" while viewing.

I'm only a few episodes in to the series, but it's getting really hard to continue on. I'm going to keep at it though.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

I'm actually finding that it gets more watchable as you kind of get used to it. It's just little things that bug me to death. He calls himself 'Adam of Grayskull' and then yells out 'By the Power of Eternia!'... Got that backwards don't ya pal?

I can't understand why they made an MOTUC figure for Optik. He doesn't do anything. I thought he was an important villain on this show. He's rarely ever seen!
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; May 6, 2012 at 02:08pm.

I made it to about the fifth episode... I can't go any further. The voice acting and the Scientists are the final nails in the coffin for me.

Can anyone recommend any of the later episodes that are notable or exceptionally well acted?

To quote Chris Berman, Chris Carter, Keyshawn Johnson, Mike Ditka, and Tom Jackson: Come On, Man!
    Stop whining; get in there, and finish episode 5. Then watch the next episode

I don't really mind the scientists; but Skeletor gets on my nerves with his very forced, 45-second laughs. I really don't sit here and watch these very intently. I usually put them on when I am doing something else. I have one eye on the show and the other on whatever it is I am doing. Seems to work pretty well that way. I'm up to disc four
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; May 8, 2012 at 10:25am.

Well, if you come across one that really knocks your socks off let me know.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Approach it as a test of an endurance. If you succeed, you will join the ranks of the few who have managed to watch the series to completion.

It's kind of unfortunate, but I probably won't be able to watch them all either. Twenty-something dollars is too much money for volume 2.

Maybe I can find somebody who will lend me their discs for a month or two.

I just tried watching the first episode on Youtube and couldn't make it through it. I'm glad some folks enjoy it but it just isn't for me.

It takes some getting used to. But if you persist, you can kind of get into a 'mode' where it actually becomes acceptable.

And really, you can't expect the first episode to be great. The first few episodes of a tv show or cartoon are often 'rough', as the creators are kind of getting a feel for what they are trying to create.

Quote Originally Posted by Robogeek1973:3019634
    I just tried watching the first episode on Youtube and couldn't make it through it. I'm glad some folks enjoy it but it just isn't for me.
    I watched the first three tonight on you tube as well. Great writing Jack but I can't get past the style and voices. My son thought it was cool but didn't like the new skeletor. If they ever come out with a comic that has the stories but makes he-man and skeletor look right again...I'll totally buy em! You ever think of getting into graphic novel writing jack?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I watched the first three tonight on you tube as well. Great writing Jack but I can't get past the style and voices. My son thought it was cool but didn't like the new skeletor. If they ever come out with a comic that has the stories but makes he-man and skeletor look right again...I'll totally buy em! You ever think of getting into graphic novel writing jack?
    Yeah...in my spare time.

Just joking, He-Dad, but at present my production company has three television series and two films in pre-production. Added to that I'm finishing up editing a non-fiction book I've written that will be published this winter and am one-quarter through writing a young adult novel I've been contracted for. And, lest I forget, I've three little ones and an Irish angel-of-a-wife that I love dearly and who deserve my attention.

I am, however, delighted to be going to The Power-Con convention this year and am looking forward to meeting MOTU fans in general and orgers in specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Yeah...in my spare time.

Just joking, He-Dad, but at present my production company has three television series and two films in pre-production. Added to that I'm finishing up editing a non-fiction book I've written that will be published this winter and am one-quarter through writing a young adult novel I've been contracted for. And, lest I forget, I've three little ones and an Irish angel-of-a-wife that I love dearly and who deserve my attention.

I am, however, delighted to be going to The Power-Con convention this year and am looking forward to meeting MOTU fans in general and orgers in specific.
    So I'll take that as a maybe......

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    So I'll take that as a maybe......
    You're perceptive.

I've learned to never say never. I actually did write a graphic novel for the film I wrote and was directing in India. It was a great deal of fun.

I'd be open to it, though I can't i9magine who would approach me on it. And, anway, the deal points would really need to be very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It takes some getting used to. But if you persist, you can kind of get into a 'mode' where it actually becomes acceptable.
    Yeeaahhh, if something doesn't grab me right away then I don't even bother with it. If a show needs to be watched for awhile just to become "acceptable" than it's really not worth the torture endured just for something mediocre at best. It's just not my cup of tea is all.

Speaking of the NA series, I still have not seen it, even though its been on DVD for a while, I just never bothered with it. I guess all the negative things I heard about it just stopped me from getting it. If I can get for real cheap, I may take a chance.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    I was just about to start a thread like this :-)

Me too!! I'm 30 and have NEVER watched it before, I'm on the second episode.

I heart Karatti!!
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Speaking of the NA series, I still have not seen it, even though its been on DVD for a while, I just never bothered with it. I guess all the negative things I heard about it just stopped me from getting it. If I can get for real cheap, I may take a chance.
    There are episodes on You Tube!