Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 191

Thread: King He-Man discussion thread

  1. #51
    For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Port Macquarie, Australia
    Posts
    2,577
    looks like the crown is battle damaged, its missing a ball on top, love that power swod, thank god its banged up.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    King ADAM is cool, but I don't like his chest armor... It just looks wrong to me. They should redesign it.

  3. #53
    Master of My Soul MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
    Posts
    9,122
    King He-Man was my 2nd favorite reveal behind Ram Man! I think he looks awesome!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

  4. #54
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    People care as much about this as watching your fingernails grow. Rules were meant to to broken. Artists do it often. There is no solid, 100% rule for anything, besides these are figures. Sure, some of the color combinations are childishly odd, but MOTU has always had odd color combinations.
    Did you care to actually read what I said? The heraldic "rule of tincture" is not something someone invented for the sake of making rules, it's something that arose naturally out of how our visual system works. The color combinations they've chosen for the King He-Man figure look odd and tasteless (and this has already been repeatedly pointed out by many others, it's not just my personal opinion). The rule of tincture is simply the explanation for why that choice of colors looks wrong to most people (because of lack of appropriate lightness contrast).

    If you choose to break some rule that arose naturally, because you feel that going "against rules" makes you feel better or because you find rules are "as boring as watching someone's fingernails grow", you should be aware of what consequences breaking that rule entails—otherwise you're just showing yourself as arrogantly ignorant. Some people choose to have their webpage in red text on blue background; well, that's their choice, but if someone remarks how unreadable their webpage looks and they reply that "I do not care what you say—nyah, nyah!—rules are tedious and meant to be broken", they're only making a childish fool of themselves.

    Good artists do not just break rules for the sake of breaking rules, they break them when they feel it necessary for some particular artistic expression (such as using dissonance in music to convey an atmosphere of distress, uneasiness, anxiety, etc.).* What befits King He-Man, as a regal heroic character, is an air of refinement, majesty and wisdom, not to be dressed in uncouth chromatic clumsiness.

    And no, I do not agree that "MOTU has always had odd color combinations", in the least. Most MOTU designs sport balanced, well thought-out chromatic schemes, with only the occasional eyesore oddball here and there (such as Faker's garish orange on blue).

    (*) Yes, I'm very well aware that some artists made a point of breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, but in that case their artistic expression goal was precisely to "start anew" and experiment with doing things differently (with very varying results that only occasionally ended up being felicitous); i.e., they still broke the rules for a reason, not just because they lacked knowledge of the rules.

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    787
    Im thinking he is king he-man and not king adam, because he cant transform back. He doesnt have his sword and he is using a damaged techno sword. What if his sword was taken.

  6. #56
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514


    "I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! I AM HE-MAN!"

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    He is an awesome design and he is exactly where the line should be headed. I am hoping the symbol and his son taking the He-Ro name are an homage rather than some crazy time loop deal. His details are so sic and that sword freakin rules. I eagerly await Skeletor's son and Dare. Oh and Queen Teela.

    P.S. what do you think became of She-Ra during this time?
    Yeah, I hope we get a Queen Teela too. That was one of the few things I actually liked about the concept behind the He-Ro/Dare idea. Not a fan of much else.

    Also, 'King He-man' confuses me. Is he supposed to actually be a King as He-man and forsaken his identity as Adam? Because that's a terrible idea. Not to mention like others have said He-man can't possibly take the throne. Though it could be that everyone knows he's He-man now and that's what people refer to him as.

    The figure looks nice though (could do with some colour tweaks and maybe has a bit too much symbols on the armour). Can't wait for the reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  8. #58
    Court Magician NotFadeAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    37
    I think he's King He-Man because of the NA mini comics, Adam transforms into He-Man and abandons the his secret identity. I'm assuming the MOTUC mythos is adopting this plot point.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  9. #59
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    "I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! I AM HE-MAN!"
    No, thanks. In my canon (and in Filmation's canon), He-Man is anything but a "ripper", "tearer", "slasher" and "gouger". Quite on the contrary, he's an admirable ethical role model that won't willingly harm anyone unless it's absolutely unavoidable, and in fact, will frequently go to great lengths to avoid harming others.

  10. #60
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,199
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    King He-Man: come and praise your one and true king!
    Sorry, v-ink. I got this trick knee that doesn't allow me to kneel.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
    I think he's King He-Man because of the NA mini comics, Adam transforms into He-Man and abandons the his secret identity. I'm assuming the MOTUC mythos is adopting this plot point.
    I never liked that either. I can understand Adam being stuck as He-man for some point (it feels like an inevitable storyline anyway), but abandoning his real identity out of choice is just silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Sorry, v-ink. I got this trick knee that doesn't allow me to kneel.
    Too much Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  12. #62
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,514
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    No, thanks. In my canon (and in Filmation's canon), He-Man is anything but a "ripper", "tearer", "slasher" and "gouger". Quite on the contrary, he's an admirable ethical role model that won't willingly harm anyone unless it's absolutely unavoidable, and in fact, will frequently go to great lengths to avoid harming others.
    His face reminds me of the movie I am quoting.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  13. #63
    Johan Eggink Eterniandreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,574
    I wish there was no blue on him.
    He should have a red cape like KG and He-ro where it all began

  14. #64
    Heroic Warrior Masamune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I wish there was no blue on him.
    He should have a red cape like KG and He-ro where it all began
    Actually, I wouldn't mind a red caped He-man at some point (like he's appeared in the comics... albeit briefly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

    In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

  15. #65
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Too much Skyrim.
    Nope. Too much defending Sparta from King Xerxes.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Posts
    618
    He's awesome! Love this reveal!

  17. #67
    Eternian Collector Asher99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    His face reminds me of the movie I am quoting.
    BEOWULF!!!
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

  18. #68
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,052
    He looks kingly AND still battle-ready! I like this a lot. Especially the furry hoody part of his cape I like the idea of him wielding his old sword as Dare takes the Power Sword in the future. Ties into Adam's early quests to unite both halves of the sword and all, where it first started for He-Man. It's a thoughtful touch!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Would you really put it past them lol?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshow View Post
    Maybe it's like Fry on Futurama, and King He-Man is now also "Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa" .

    HAHAH I LOVE THAT YOU WERE ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH OF WHERE I WAS GOING!

  20. #70
    Neutral Observer Alexxandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    847
    No offense, I hope. I actually see the merit for what you are saying.

    I would debate this, but the fact only you and I are writing about it sort of proves my point. Also, you when I wrote their color combinations have always been odd, I did not mean for every figure always, but you did give prime example, Faker. This happens in toys often as with Superman/Spider-Man wearing primary colors and many flags of coutries. Also notably, the weapons have also been weird colors in MOTU. That was my suggestion. Not saying I like or dislike it any more than you, just saying it happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Did you care to actually read what I said? The heraldic "rule of tincture" is not something someone invented for the sake of making rules, it's something that arose naturally out of how our visual system works. The color combinations they've chosen for the King He-Man figure look odd and tasteless (and this has already been repeatedly pointed out by many others, it's not just my personal opinion). The rule of tincture is simply the explanation for why that choice of colors looks wrong to most people (because of lack of appropriate lightness contrast).

    If you choose to break some rule that arose naturally, because you feel that going "against rules" makes you feel better or because you find rules are "as boring as watching someone's fingernails grow", you should be aware of what consequences breaking that rule entails—otherwise you're just showing yourself as arrogantly ignorant. Some people choose to have their webpage in red text on blue background; well, that's their choice, but if someone remarks how unreadable their webpage looks and they reply that "I do not care what you say—nyah, nyah!—rules are tedious and meant to be broken", they're only making a childish fool of themselves.

    Good artists do not just break rules for the sake of breaking rules, they break them when they feel it necessary for some particular artistic expression (such as using dissonance in music to convey an atmosphere of distress, uneasiness, anxiety, etc.).* What befits King He-Man, as a regal heroic character, is an air of refinement, majesty and wisdom, not to be dressed in uncouth chromatic clumsiness.

    And no, I do not agree that "MOTU has always had odd color combinations", in the least. Most MOTU designs sport balanced, well thought-out chromatic schemes, with only the occasional eyesore oddball here and there (such as Faker's garish orange on blue).

    (*) Yes, I'm very well aware that some artists made a point of breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, but in that case their artistic expression goal was precisely to "start anew" and experiment with doing things differently (with very varying results that only occasionally ended up being felicitous); i.e., they still broke the rules for a reason, not just because they lacked knowledge of the rules.

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I never liked that either. I can understand Adam being stuck as He-man for some point (it feels like an inevitable storyline anyway), but abandoning his real identity out of choice is just silly.



    Too much Skyrim.
    LOL the quote was perfect!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    No offense, I hope. I actually see the merit what you are saying.

    I would debate with this, but the fact only you and I are writing about it sort of proves my point. Also, you when I wrote their color combination have always been odd, I did not mean for every figure always, but you did give prime example, Faker. This happens in toys often as with superman wearing primary colors. Also notably, the weapons have also been weird colors in MOTU. That was my suggestion. Not saying I like or dislike it any more than you, just saying it happens.
    Coming from someone who has a background in design history as part of my BFA for Graphic Design, the idea the Tincture is the only hierarchical system for visual organization is riduclous- art and design as mediums dictate that style goes over rules in 99.9% of the case or in other words- LOOKS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN RULES IN VISUAL ART.

  22. #72
    Neutral Observer Alexxandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    LOL the quote was perfect!!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Coming from someone who has a background in design history as part of my BFA for Graphic Design, the idea the Tincture is the only hierarchical system for visual organization is riduclous- art and design as mediums dictate that style goes over rules in 99.9% of the case or in other words- LOOKS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN RULES IN VISUAL ART.
    As a former art gallery curator, I agree here. This is the point I was arguing. You just better articulated it.
    Last edited by Alexxandar; July 14, 2012 at 12:43pm. Reason: Additional words.

  23. #73
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,686
    I love this figure! I originally was meh but the more i look at him i got excited, the battle damaged sword is definitly a winner
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    2,307
    I think the figure looks great! It's the figure I never knew I wanted to have

  25. #75
    Evil Warrior Invicta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    755
    If he is the King, who is the Queen? He can't marry the sorceress Teela can he, is it Frosta then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •