Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: King He-Man discussion thread

The King is dead. Long live the King!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Coming from someone who has a background in design history as part of my BFA for Graphic Design, the idea the Tincture is the only hierarchical system for visual organization is riduclous- art and design as mediums dictate that style goes over rules in 99.9% of the case or in other words- LOOKS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN RULES IN VISUAL ART.
    So now, would you mind explaining to me why lots of people are commenting on how odd the colors of the King He-Man figure look? They are not saying: "Tsk tsk! These rebelious figure designers haven't adhered to the sacred rule of tincture, they should be punished for that!". They're saying: "Gosh, the colors on this figure look awful". It's the look of it that strikes them as odd, not the fact that painting a vivid blue symbol on a vivid red background breaks some color design rule they probably hadn't ever heard about.

I said and I repeat that the rule of tincture arose naturally from the mechanics of human color and shape perception, which relies on lightness contrasts for shape recognition (this is experimentally proven and you can easily prove it to yourself just by setting the foreground and background of some text or symbol to colors of similar lightness and then to colors of different lightness). The rule of tincture is simply a formal codification of this psychophysical fact of human visual perception, and thus merely the explanation underlying the fact that so many people (many of which I assume have no training or conscious awareness of color theory rules) are commenting on how the colors on this figure look to have been combined "wrongly", because to their eyes they simply look wrong (because their visual system is having an uncomfortably hard time trying to tell apart the foreground shapes from their backgrounds).

Sure, every rule-breaking visual effect has its appropriate use in certain exceptional cases (just like dissonance does have its place in music). M.C. Escher's masterful breaking of every rule our visual system relies on to perceive perspective and orientation, so as to create amazing optical illusions of impossible objects, sufficiently proves this. But I and many more people do not find the visual chromatic dissonance created by this figure's breaking of the tincture rule to result in anything but an inappropriate gaudiness unbefitting the should-be-majestic nature of the King He-Man character.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    If he is the King, who is the Queen? He can't marry the sorceress Teela can he, is it Frosta then?
    Well she is a Queen/Empress so it would work politically and she would get her wish for lusting after him for so long

I personally vote for Sweetbee!

But knowing He-Man he is single
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    I don't think they will be the same person as He'Ro's bio states he was sent through a magic vortex to Eternia. Notice that He-Man is using the techno sword to access the power of Grayskull. He must have already gave the Sword of Power away. He-Ro was given the sword by the Overlords of Trolla.

But yeah...love the figure and cant wait to display him with the Weapons Pack Techno-sword.
    Perhaps a magic time vortex. King He-Man could ultimately send his son on a quest to find the Overlords of Trolla where they give him the Sword of He. Perhaps a future mature version of Orko sits on that council.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    If he is the King, who is the Queen? He can't marry the sorceress Teela can he, is it Frosta then?
    If Grayskull could have Veena, then I don't see why Adam/He-man can have Teela as his queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Lotta blue capes this year. Randor (okay, he's got a coat--urg), Frosta, Netossa, Strobo, and King He-Man too. Actually I think he'd be better with a red cape--evoking the King Grayskull figure and his 87 movie appearance. Although there is something "heroic knight"-ish about his silver armor with a blue cape.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Lotta blue capes this year. Randor (okay, he's got a coat--urg), Frosta, Netossa, Strobo, and King He-Man too. Actually I think he'd be better with a red cape--evoking the King Grayskull figure and his 87 movie appearance. Although there is something "heroic knight"-ish about his silver armor with a blue cape.
    That's actually a really good design idea GB I just worry it's likely too late to change it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    So now, would you mind explaining to me why lots of people are commenting on how odd the colors of the King He-Man figure look? They are not saying: "Tsk tsk! These rebelious figure designers haven't adhered to the sacred rule of tincture, they should be punished for that!". They're saying: "Gosh, the colors on this figure look awful". It's the look of it that strikes them as odd, not the fact that painting a vivid blue symbol on a vivid red background breaks some color design rule they probably hadn't ever heard about.

I said and I repeat that the rule of tincture arose naturally from the mechanics of human color and shape perception, which relies on lightness contrasts for shape recognition (this is experimentally proven and you can easily prove it to yourself just by setting the foreground and background of some text or symbol to colors of similar lightness and then to colors of different lightness). The rule of tincture is simply a formal codification of this psychophysical fact of human visual perception, and thus merely the explanation underlying the fact that so many people (many of which I assume have no training or conscious awareness of color theory rules) are commenting on how the colors on this figure look to have been combined "wrongly", because to their eyes they simply look wrong (because their visual system is having an uncomfortably hard time trying to tell apart the foreground shapes from their backgrounds).

Sure, every rule-breaking visual effect has its appropriate use in certain exceptional cases (just like dissonance does have its place in music). M.C. Escher's masterful breaking of every rule our visual system relies on to perceive perspective and orientation, so as to create amazing optical illusions of impossible objects, sufficiently proves this. But I and many more people do not find the visual chromatic dissonance created by this figure's breaking of the tincture rule to result in anything but an inappropriate gaudiness unbefitting the should-be-majestic nature of the King He-Man character.
    That's the thing- audience dictates success or failure ultimately in a commercial environment and in this case the vast MAJORITY do like his appearance going by reactions on here, Matty, and Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    That's actually a really good design idea GB I just worry it's likely too late to change it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thing- audience dictates success or failure ultimately in a commercial environment and in this case the vast MAJORITY do like his appearance going by reactions on here, Matty, and Facebook.
    His appearance is why I bought 2 subs. He is an amazing design and I want a second sub based on his MOTU time frame. I will be so miffed if we don't get several people from that era in permanence, thanks TG for that new word :-).

This is an awesome figure!

AND for the ones that were complaining all these years about King Greyskull being bigger and looking cooler... Who looks like the most azz kicking King of the history???

Awesome figure King He-Man!!!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He Man 12 View Post
    This is an awesome figure!

AND for the ones that were complaining all these years about King Greyskull being bigger and looking cooler... Who looks like the most azz kicking King of the history???

Awesome figure King He-Man!!!
    Great point about prominence in the mythology!

I love this figure, but it seems too early to get it. MOTUC feels like a story being told though figure releases and bios. King He-man feels like a figure from the end of the story, a figure that should be either the last Club Exclusive or one of the very last monthly figures, thus having come full circle from where this line started with King Grayskull.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    This is a great figure and in my opinion a PERFECT club eternia exclusive. Although I LOVE Shadow Weaver, I personally feel that this figure is more of a "MUST HAVE" for a MOTU collector/fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    If Grayskull could have Veena, then I don't see why Adam/He-man can have Teela as his queen.
    Never thought of a Queen Teela figure, but I LOVE it!!!!!! Bring on Queen Teela

This is asuch a great figure and I am stoked to add him to my collection next year! As far as King He-Man vs King Adam, perhaps he took the name He-Man upon being crowned, ala Aragorn being crowned as Elessar in LoTR. Could be a way to honor the many battle fought and lives lost during the time leading up to his coronation.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    This is asuch a great figure and I am stoked to add him to my collection next year! As far as King He-Man vs King Adam, perhaps he took the name He-Man upon being crowned, ala Aragorn being crowned as Elessar in LoTR. Could be a way to honor the many battle fought and lives lost during the time leading up to his coronation.
    That is a really great way to look at it, he is not just about Adam, he is King He-Man as He-Man is the protector of everyone known in many places.

People around here act as if not using Adam is some snuff to who he is, but I think He-Man is being used more a name of Honor and respect.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post

I gotta, like, second that or something.

Honestly, if He-Man is to make Teela his queen.. Why not just take up in Castle Grayskull while Adora and her chosen suitor rule from Eternos Palace?

Heroic Warrior
    Nope... If he is Prince Adam, then he will one day be King Adam... Not King He-Man. Another fail in naming these figures.

May as well call him King Castle Grayskull Man.

I think he's a very cool idea for a sub exclusive. He looks great and I too want to know the deal with his sword. I'm guessing he handed the power sword down so he's using the techno sword, but it's getting old and dinged up from use.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Nope... If he is Prince Adam, then he will one day be King Adam... Not King He-Man. Another fail in naming these figures.

May as well call him King Castle Grayskull Man.
    Why can he not take a different name? You think King George VI was really named George?

What a marketable and awe-inspiring name "King Adam" would be.

Heroic Warrior
    All hail the king! I really like this figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    Why can he not take a different name? You think King George VI was really named George?
    No, I think he was named Albert.

Which is weird, because I was just reading something about his brother earlier today...

I've never read the NA mini comic but I think Prince Adam did choose to reveal his identity as He-Man to Randor and Marlena, but he had no choice when he was forced to transform into He-Man in front of Skeletor, and so there was no point in keeping up the Prince Adam facade. I like that idea, but I can also see why he should be called King Adam.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

He is the main reason why I'm getting the sub, that and the early access perk. He's truly a great looking figure...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I do like this figure and am intrigued by the idea although I also fear change
    so I'm a bit sad to see He-man all grown up.
    You know the evil warriors are going to be running in fear in case they get tetanus from that sword.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app