Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if Mattel DID come out with better versions of characters, why pass on them?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

if Mattel DID come out with better versions of characters, why pass on them?

OLD Black Widow Figure:

NEW Black Widow Figure:

I have a question for fans, in case you missed it way back in the 2016 thread...if Mattel DID come out with a better or superior version of a character that you already have, why would you pass on it? Wouldn't the new figure replace the older one?

I'm curious about this way of thinking. Some fans simply don't collect variants, so I'm not really talking about them.

Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

ML doesn't use the same buck for everything, so there are great improvements between versions they release. MOTUC uses the same buck so advancement is limited. If the new release is a great improvement then yes I would buy it, not just some new paint and an accessory.

Heroic Warrior
    It would depend upon what makes it a "better or superior" version.

For example, if they re-released He-Man with NA He-Man's wrists, tighter ankles and a scabbard for his sword, I would consider it a "better" version, but I wouldn't be inclined to replace my existing He-Man. Throw in a Filmation He-Man head and a true Filmation Power Sword, then I would be tempted, but would probably still pass since it would be like to cost more than $40 (including international shipping).

But, if they re-released She-Ra with toy-design bodice and skirt, multiple tiaras (original toy-design and Starburst), multiple capes (original toy-design in plastic like Jewelstar's cape and Starburst), original toy-design sword, Filmation "sword to shield" shield, a new Filmation She-Ra head (with closed lips) and an Imp transformation, then it would be a "must have" for me.

With these figures being nearly 40.00 after shipping I just don't want to buy another of the same character anymore. I'd rather put that money into my other collections or my family/house/etc.... as I am very satisfied with current Classics. They may be able to improve a few things on some characters, but I'm not sure they can make 40.00 worth of improvements to get me to buy it again.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I'd say it would greatly depend on how "better" was defined. I've no interest in Filmation versions if characters we already have, so if that's how some define it, I'd pass. More articulation would veer from the Classics aesthetic in some cases, so I'd often pass. Paint, sculpts, etc. are fine to me; I'm very happy with what we've gotten. Perhaps a whiter Frosta, Snout Spout with a sturdier nose, or even a Swiftwind that can become Spirit (ahem) would be "better" enough to me. My main priority is getting new things though-be they new characters or new variants (as in armors and costumes, but not as in source material).
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

There are several MOTUC figures that I would prefer to have a tight ankles version instead of the original floppy ankles version. That would be a drastic improvement.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Rocker ankles would be a must. Ok, the lone started in 07-08, but no rocker ankles in 2014 is pretty much unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I'd say it would greatly depend on how "better" was defined. I've no interest in Filmation versions if characters we already have, so if that's how some define it, I'd pass.
    Oh thank the Goddess, I thought that I was the only one.

The idea of a 2.0 that is "Filmation" irks me.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

As it stands right now, almost all my action figures are pretty much just standing at attention with at most moderate posing. I wouldn't mind at some point giving several some kind of distinctive pose, of course sometimes loose articulation or weight of figure hinders what you can do with them. part of another issue I have is space and the amount of figures I have picked up over the years, because of previously mentioned problems with weight and looseness/tightness of joints dynamic posing often requires frequent 'reapplication' of pose or you have figures who fall like to play dominoes.

Add to that cost, I replaced a Marvel Legends Black Cat because 20 bucks isn't too bad (had the sinister six version which I got for discount at wal-mart in the first place) . But as was said when you are looking at ~40bucks for a single figure I need more than some chances to articulation but some aesthetics and for me generally speaking I have little to no problem with the aesthetic look of these figures.

Improved articulation on some ankles, bobbleheads, maybe a waist swivel would be nice on some but cost.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I am very happy with MotUC. There are just so few figures that I would want to change, and I highly doubt they'll make the changes I want, because most of the changes people are clamoring for are changes I don't care about. I don't need new wrists or a new head for He-Man. I love the new heads coming with mini comic He-Man, but I probably won't use either of them to permanently replace the normal He-Man head. I can't think of many improvements to the body, either. One of the shoulders is backwards on my first release He-Man, but I just could not care any less than I have the entire time I've owned him. I even love the red around his eyes; the rerelease looks a little silly without it, to me.

I've tried to jump into the "what changes would you make" threads, but I'm rarely able to get much of a list going. Basic thing is that I'll have to see what "better" means, first. Your example, for instance, of Black Widow, is different, not better. The first one has a better head, to me. I like the first one's belt better, too. Perhaps if they painted the newer one's head a little better? Either way, I didn't end up getting either of those.

Point being: "better" is in the eye of the beholder.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Marvel Legends is a whole different bag. Some of their figures look just plain awful (first White Queen anyone?) and desperately need better versions. MOTUCs are, for the most part, excellent interpretations of the character, maybe even "the best." Can there be improvements? Maybe. It's always nice to get more, but sometimes more articulation, more heads, or a different sculpt/paint job won't necessarily be better. The MOTUC versions of most characters are pretty definitive. Sure, some people may want to see a more 200x or Filmation or vintage toy or whatever version of a character, but that's just DIFFERENT, and not necessarily better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    There are several MOTUC figures that I would prefer to have a tight ankles version instead of the original floppy ankles version. That would be a drastic improvement.
    It's pretty easy to fix the ankles. I use clear nail polish, some swear by floor polish, but if that's your only hang up, it's easy to get over.

I generally prefer the old style boots. The ankle rockers tend to be better, and I don't like the overly tight articulation on some new figures.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

For me unless it's an enormous improvement I can't really see replacing a figure I already have. I'm pretty happy with most everyone they've put out. Sure things like rocker ankles or something would be nice but they aren't something that is a must. Normally if a new version comes out I end up repurposing it as someone else if they look different enough like Battleground Teela.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Personally, any new version of a figure we already have would need to show a distinct improvement for me to want to buy it. A new He-man for example would need to look very different or come with more accessories such as filmation or other heads for example, not just some extra articulation like the wrists on the NA He-man (which I think looks aweful) as I'm perfectly happy with the articulation we have. To be honest I don't see where any improvements could really be made without seriously affecting the look of the figure, meaning it may not fit in with the rest of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I think that is the biggest thing right there!!

Everyone likes something different and who is to say the reissue is any better than the old version when it is all individual perception. Any for the record...I like the old Black Widow better.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziel443 View Post
    Personally, any new version of a figure we already have would need to show a distinct improvement for me to want to buy it. A new He-man for example would need to look very different or come with more accessories such as filmation or other heads for example, not just some extra articulation like the wrists on the NA He-man (which I think looks aweful) as I'm perfectly happy with the articulation we have. To be honest I don't see where any improvements could really be made without seriously affecting the look of the figure, meaning it may not fit in with the rest of the line.
    I feel much the same - I don't think there's a single figure to date that I personally feel is unacceptable or needs an upgrade. There are certainly a few figures that have been 'missing' accessories I'd have liked to see (unmasked head for Hydron, etc), but there would have to be significant value...probably in terms of new accessories...for me to want to repurchase a character I already own. (Especially at these prices! )
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

13 replies in and what I'm hearing is skepticism that the 2.0s would be sufficiently improved, rather than multiple posters saying they wouldn't buy 2.0s if they were sufficiently improved.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Your example, for instance, of Black Widow, is different, not better. The first one has a better head, to me. I like the first one's belt better, too. Perhaps if they painted the newer one's head a little better? Either way, I didn't end up getting either of those.
    That's arguable if "better" actually IS better...the old Black Widow is parts re-use galore...a Phoenix head that's been used before (Phoenix, Psylocke, Black Widow) on a standard female buck (also used for Phoenix, Psylocke and Black Widow) cast in black plastic. The new Widow actual has her own sculpted catsuit and her own unique head. In my eyes, the new version makes the old version look like crap, which was where I was going with my original post.

I can see your point. There are fans who like the uniformity or nostalgia of parts re-use, while other fans jump at the chance to get upgraded versions of those same characters.

I also see the point (although I don't necessarily agree*) of the fans who think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". How would one improve Vintage Skeletor? Was there a Vintage design element that the 4H missed? Including more detailed paint apps? More weapons? Make him more horrifying? New heads? Some characters are easier than others -- I've always been a fan of a slightly taller Beast Man with a more simian shape like the back of the Alcala Mini-Comics.

For the record, I also think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". The Vintage versions might be as good as the figures are going to get, unless the ball was dropped horribly*. I'm famously about getting 200X, Mini-Comic or Filmation variants of the main characters, but I would like a re-do of a character that didn't come out so well -- like Frosta or Failmation Hordak.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about improving the original designs, not outright making 200X, Mini-Comic or Filmation variants. I'm trying to avoid that topic, but I know how easily it could go there...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I feel much the same - I don't think there's a single figure to date that I personally feel is unacceptable or needs an upgrade. There are certainly a few figures that have been 'missing' accessories I'd have liked to see (unmasked head for Hydron, etc), but there would have to be significant value...probably in terms of new accessories...for me to want to repurchase a character I already own. (Especially at these prices! )
    Even FROSTA?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 24, 2014 at 02:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's arguable if "better" actually IS better...the old Black Widow is parts re-use galore...a Phoenix head that's been used before (Phoenix, Psylocke, Black Widow) on a standard female buck (also used for Phoenix, Psylocke and Black Widow) cast in black plastic. The new Widow actual has her own sculpted catsuit and her own unique head. In my eyes, the new version makes the old version look like crap, which was where I was going with my original post.

I can see your point. There are fans who like the uniformity or nostalgia of parts re-use, while other fans jump at the chance to get upgraded versions of those same characters.

I also see the point (although I don't necessarily agree) of the fans who think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". How would one improve Vintage Skeletor? Was there a Vintage design element that the 4H missed? Including more detailed paint apps? More weapons? Make him more horrifying? New heads? Some characters are easier than others -- I've always been a fan of a slightly taller Beast Man with a more simian shape like the back of the Alcala Mini-Comics.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about improving the original designs, not outright making 200X, Mini-Comic or Filmation variants. I'm trying to avoid that topic, but I know how easily it could go there...

- - - Updated - - -

Even FROSTA?
    How about Green Goddess, Snout Spout, or Roboto?
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    How about Green Goddess, Snout Spout, or Roboto?
    I updated my original post.

But hell, give me a non-translucent Green Goddess and a new Snout Spout with an additional 200X head and a non-foam trunk on both heads.

King Hsss or Stinkor didn't make your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Oh thank the Goddess, I thought that I was the only one.

The idea of a 2.0 that is "Filmation" irks me.
    I'm with you and Uki.

The lack of detail on most of the Filmation-inspired figures annoys me, especially for the POP gals. I would rather see some new designs than have more plain figures. I understand that cartoons, due to the nature of the medium, often had limited design in that era. However, if I'm plunking down as much money as I am for a Classics figure, I want it to look like some sculpting work went into it. Glimmer is my personal pet peeve - she's honestly a pretty boring figure, and she didn't need to be. Then I look at how much attention Light Hope got - that would be what I'd want in a 2.0. I like what they've done with NA She-Ra - that's more of what I'd buy.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    I like the figures how they are and see no need to improve or replace them. Just restock them.
    Made it through Cyber Monday with everything I wanted, well, almost.

Fair point, of course! The torso on the new one is TOTALLY better, but I just don't feel like either of them are cool enough for a buy. I got the Iron Man 2 version, and it does well enough for me. I'm just not a fan of the headsculpt on the new one, is all.

BUT, like you said, it still gets your point across. On the other hand, it gets MY point across as well. You change a few things, and it doesn't always equal better, which answers your question of why someone might not buy remakes. I know you specifically asked why we wouldn't buy "better" versions, of obviously the real question there is: "What do YOU think is 'better'?" The answer is that everyone has a different idea. So there's no real reason why someone wouldn't buy a better version! It all depends on what everyone considers to be better.

I also see the point (although I don't necessarily agree) of the fans who think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". How would one improve Vintage Skeletor? Was there a Vintage design element that the 4H missed? Including more detailed paint apps? More weapons? Make him more horrifying? New heads? Some characters are easier than others -- I've always been a fan of a slightly taller Beast Man with a more simian shape like the back of the Alcala Mini-Comics.

I understand. I wasn't really nostalgic about parts reuse, but I also didn't explain that I consider the torso to be an improvement (also that the repainted torso of the first one is just ugly overall).

And yes, everyone has a different opinion of "perfection." Some people don't see how you could improve vintage Skeletor, but...for me, I wasn't looking for an "improvement", I was looking for something different. The MotUC version is a whole new toy with vintage Skeletor details. I'm not gona get rid of my vintage Skeletor, is what I'm saying. For an example of what I'm talking about: Toy Biz Carnage and the recent Amazing Spider-Man 2 toyline's classic Carnage. I feel like that embodies what you're talking about: A total overall improvement. Better. I personally don't see why anyone would chose the old one over this new one....BUT...a friend of mine did just that. So there' no accounting for what people consider to be "better."

...I'm not really sure if I'm "arguing" or just trying to make my points clearer. At any rate, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on all points.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    I like the figures how they are and see no need to improve or replace them. Just restock them.
    Restock them will only make things worse ! At least improved versions will be made & sold with confidence by Mattel ! It will also interest some who "hates" now !!

And some people still thinks or doesn't gets that most of filmation variants fans wants their Filmation variants with MOTUC details ! This has been talked & talked &.......talked ! Yet..... again some still don't get it !!

That said, I really.... really can't wait for SDCC 2015 ! That will be the answer for all of our concerns & trust me.......... it will surely show us "ENTRY" & "EXIT" paths for all of us. I hope Mattel isn't stupid & dumb enough to leave He-Man 2.0 or Filmation Teela or Filmation Skeletor on despondos & goes on to make only figures like Kayo or Vultak on a Masters of The Universe branded line !!

Lets See Who's Winning............

"Original Powered" Masters Of The Universe Vs 300-400 Powered "New Characters Of The Universe" !
    Last edited by TUC138; November 24, 2014 at 03:46pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Restock them will only make things worse ! At least improved versions will be made & sold with confidence by Mattel ! It will also interest some who "hates" now !!
    Capricorn might think that you can't improve upon perfection, as far as the Vintage designs go. I would say that he's right except for some obvious do-overs. Frosta had a non-painted back, reversed forearms, was gray instead of white, didn't have a Filmation head and could have benefited from some ice accessories. She was all sorts of jacked up. I'm hardly a POP fan and this is glaring to me, so I can imagine a hardcore POP fan would be even more disappointed.

Do we still want a flocked Panthor or are we good now? Stinkor's arms were reversed...do we put out a new Stinkor that corrects the problem? Package him with Odiphus?

That said, I really.... really can't wait for SDCC 2015 ! That will be the answer for all of our concerns & trust me.......... it will surely show us "ENTRY" & "EXIT" paths for all of us. I hope Mattel isn't stupid & dumb enough to leave He-Man 2.0 or Filmation Teela or Filmation Skeletor on despondos & goes on to make only figures like Kayo or Vultak on a Masters of The Universe branded line !!

Lets See Who's Winning............

"Original Powered" Masters Of The Universe Vs 300-400 Powered "New Characters Of The Universe" !
    Why should it be a fight between the two? You need refreshes of the major characters (casual fans) to compensate for the lack of recognition of the obscure characters (hardcore fans). One camp helps out the other camp.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar

I also see the point (although I don't necessarily agree*) of the fans who think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". How would one improve Vintage Skeletor? Was there a Vintage design element that the 4H missed? Including more detailed paint apps? More weapons? Make him more horrifying? New heads? Some characters are easier than others -- I've always been a fan of a slightly taller Beast Man with a more simian shape like the back of the Alcala Mini-Comics.

For the record, I also think that it's hard to mess with "perfection". The Vintage versions might be as good as the figures are going to get, unless the ball was dropped horribly*. I'm famously about getting 200X, Mini-Comic or Filmation variants of the main characters, but I would like a re-do of a character that didn't come out so well -- like Frosta or Failmation Hordak.

- - - Updated - - -

Even FROSTA?
    Even Frosta. I've never understood the furor around her; the figure I have is perfectly sufficient for me. Could the head sculpt/paint have come out better? No doubt. Would a tweaked head-sculpt make me want to purchase the figure again? Absolutely not.

The closest I come to wanting a 're-do' is the Etheria Invasion Hordak head. My hope is that a more Filmation-y head makes its way into the line (Buzz-Saw Hordak). But I can live with what I have, without wanting to repurchase the figure.

Beyond a few reverse-shoulder issues, which, frankly, while an annoyance, are not a huge problem for me, there is no failing in any figure to date that FOR ME, anyway, could not be solved by a head pack or accessory pack, or by pack-ins with some other figure. Whether that can/will happen, who knows.

At these prices, the impetus to re-purchase a figure is nil. I have neither the money, space, or inclination, and overall I'm quite happy with what I've gotten to date.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."