Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ROBOTO cracks are getting worse

Heroic Podcaster
    I can't understand why Mattel wont just do another run of Robotos. They will sell, we all know that. Fix the problems, admit your mistakes and make a new batch. We all know they won't offer refunds or quality exchanges but they could actually make some money on this mistake by issuing a second run of QUALITY Robotos. Not nearly as satisfying a solution for the fans as getting him right in the first place but I'm surprised Mattel is leaving money on the table here, in their 'profits at all costs' mentality.
    ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Just checked mine...

He's busted pretty bad. I only really display my stuff so it's not play wear. What a bummer. 30 bucks not very well spent...
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scar1321 View Post
    Just checked mine...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...f/P1230634.jpg

He's busted pretty bad. I only really display my stuff so it's not play wear. What a bummer. 30 bucks not very well spent...
    So, If you don't mind me asking... That was on display(standing on a shelf perhaps) --- and that crack just happened out of nowhere?

Man! If mine ends up like that I will scream like a little *****.

Yep. Got it when it first came out, opened it, stood him on the shelf, and just checked it and he has a big ass crack.

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

I'm always adding stuff!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    So, If you don't mind me asking... That was on display(standing on a shelf perhaps) --- and that crack just happened out of nowhere?

Man! If mine ends up like that I will scream like a little bee-otch.
    Mine had a little crack at first (not perfect toy, but I got 2 Robotos, both with the same crack and I assume it), but now the crack is like the one pictured by scar1321...

I wonder if the 200X Robotos have the same problem or just the MOTUC ones...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    I wonder if the 200X Robotos have the same problem or just the MOTUC ones...
    My 200X fig is still perfect!

It was on the same shelf, but there a lot longer.

Plus it was cheaper, and a much better design!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

I'm always adding stuff!

So its clear, the problem is not the translucent plastic itself, its just a problem with the actual manufacturer...

Heroic Warrior
    The problem is probably cheap materials used instead of quality materials used --- it is meant to save Mattel money while they charge us premium prices.

I am really, really upset about seeing all these MOTUC Roboto's with cracked torsos... This is an outrage. If Mattel had any integrity they would remake Roboto the right way and sell him again with a warranty, that's the least they could do.

Technically in my perfect world, they should remake him the right way and give them away, but that's not realistic.

My 200X fig is still perfect!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...f/P1230637.jpg

It was on the same shelf, but there a lot longer.

Plus it was cheaper, and a much better design!
    ... which is exactly why I have begun to phase out MOTUC and focuss on completing my 200X and vintage collections again, I know I'll still be able to enjoy these in 10-20 years
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Just checked mine...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...f/P1230634.jpg

THat is a bad crack. Mine's not that bad, but I'm sure it will be some day soon.

It is weird to me that Mattel could reissue him and make money, but won't. It's like they just want to ignore their mistakes and reissuing him, even if they profitted from it, would draw attention.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    THat is a bad crack. Mine's not that bad, but I'm sure it will be some day soon.

It is weird to me that Mattel could reissue him and make money, but won't. It's like they just want to ignore their mistakes and reissuing him, even if they profitted from it, would draw attention.
    It would likely require using better grade plastic, which would cost more money, something Mattel would not be willing to do. Simply making another round of Robotos with the same cheap materials would accomplish nothing. Fixing the shoulders might help with the cracks there, but the big crack in the abdomen we're seeing can't be from that. I'm wondering if the clear plastic may have shrunk more than expected, so there is some strain where any male plug is going into the female opening in the torso (in which case fixing the shoulders wouldn't stop the cracking there).

And I don't want to hear TG and company mystified and pondering why sub sales are down this August...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I even bet that the vintage Robotos from 30 years ago have better plastic than MOTUC ones and they are still OK, can this be corroborated?

Well, my vintage Roboto looks fine, if that's what you mean. And that gentleman's 200X Roboto, upthread, is fine. So somehow, for a figure that TG said he put so much work into, apparently engineering or materials (or both) really let down the side.

Yeah, my vintage one is fine, too... I think the only issue with the vintage one I've heard of is yellowing... But that seems to be comon for all aging plastics.

It's stuff like this that's helping my decision to not do the sub next year. 30 bucks a pop is way too much for a line with so many quality issues.

I've been with the line since SDCC King Grayskull, but I think I'm pretty much finished. It's really a bummer.

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

I'm always adding stuff!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Cant wait to hear the infamous sonic welding excuse....

But from a bizz standpoint I can understand why mattel wont admit that MOTUC clear plastics are junk.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    My vintage AND 200X Roboto are PERFECT. I have a very tiny crack starting on my MOTUC Roboto right at the corner by his right shoulder. It is brand new, and was not there when purchased. However, I would not have even noticed it if I didnt check him due to this thread. Its very tiny NOW, I just hope this "Crack Epidemic" dosent spread from here.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    Stop throwing your toys around... mine ain't cracked... what the heck are you doing with it? Who the heck "checks' their Roboto anyway? Weird.
    LOLOL

So true. My figure is fine.

Also, if the suggestion is to call DR for a refund or replacement what's wrong with that? What do you want them to do? Send a team to your house?

Yes we would all like perfect everything, but it is what it is. Stuff happens.

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if another factor as to why they will never bring this line to retail (not that I want it to) is because they would HAVE to use higher quality materials. This way the figures would be more durable, less breakage, less kids swallowing broken plastic, less lawsuits. For an adult collector line, they figure they can get away with using CRAP plastic. and... It looks like they are getting away with it thanks to our devotion to the line.

I don't know, Just trying to figure out why the 200X line would have better plastics than this line...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Cant wait to hear the infamous sonic welding excuse....

But from a bizz standpoint I can understand why mattel wont admit that MOTUC clear plastics are junk.

Sorry some strange people entered the factory and caused chaos!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

My vintage Roboto is fine, no cracks. My vintage Hurricane Hordak has nice vac metal, no chipping. My vintage Moss Man still has all his flocking in place. My vintage Snout Spout has a crack free spout. All these figures were played with and have lasted 25-30 years and are all still in great shape. I wish I could say the same for the new figures I have purchased in the last year. How can a company loose it so badly, that they dont even use the same quality standards they have 30 years ago? Maybe that is the special 30th Ann surprise. All the figures turn to dust after 1 year now.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    Also, if the suggestion is to call DR for a refund or replacement what's wrong with that? What do you want them to do? Send a team to your house?
    Maybe produce the figures with materials that last at least a year or so?

Yes we would all like perfect everything, but it is what it is. Stuff happens.
    Stuff happens? So it's perfectly alright for toys only a couple years, or even a matter of months, old to start cracking apart when they aren't even touched? That may be perfectly acceptable to you and others, but some folks actually expect to get what they paid their 30 bucks for, namely a figure that isn't going to have pieces falling apart within a few years.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I wonder if another factor as to why they will never bring this line to retail (not that I want it to) is because they would HAVE to use higher quality materials. This way the figures would be more durable, less breakage, less kids swallowing broken plastic, less lawsuits. For an adult collector line, they figure they can get away with using CRAP plastic. and... It looks like they are getting away with it thanks to our devotion to the line.

I don't know, Just trying to figure out why the 200X line would have better plastics than this line...
    No they would still probably use the same materials, especially since retail would then take a chunk out of the profits. If they are using cheaper materials when they have cut out the middle man you would be absolutely naive to think they would then use higher quality with less money to be made.

As to why 200x had better, simple economics. During the 200x line there was a bigger budget and the price of things like plastic was far different for a variety of reasons. Its the same reasons things like tires cost more today then they did even 3 years ago, you are not getting any better tires (in some cases worse) but the materials went up for the production despite the lower quality.

Note I am not saying its right or a great thing, but it is what it is when it comes to what we get for our toys. Though as I have said whatever their clear plastic is reaches new levels of super crap lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I'm usually pretty tolerant to other opinions, but to say " it is what it is" with a carless attitude about the situation is so wrong in so many ways. But you know what... They are afterall "opinions" and I will continue to try and respect them --- I guess like Roboto's cheap plastic, your opinions are what they are.

I'm usually pretty tolerant to other opinions, but to say " it is what it is" with a carless attitude about the situation is so wrong in so many ways. But you know what... They are afterall "opinions" and I will continue to try and respect them --- I guess like Robot's cheap plastic, your opinions are what they are.
    No not careless, just realistic that at this point they won't change it. I mean if after The Goddess they did not then its just the way its going to be. Its been proven with Roboto and various Photog lenses

The realistic solutions at this point are don't buy them and vote with your wallet or accept it, I mean there is no other recourse on a line this small. If it makes you feel better to let everyone know your disgust for their production choices that is fine with me as well.

I respect your right to be upset and I understand your opinion that things should be changed, that does not stop me pointing out they won't though.

It is what it is
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I don't know if you see it, but that's the exact attitude that Mattel counts on to keep this line going. A shrug and saying "it is what it is."

I think that, ultimately, that's a very damaging attitude. If there is a problem, Mattel needs to hear about it. If there is a widespread problem, the REALLY need to hear about it.

I don't understand this mentality at all. it's only thru (constructive) criticism that they will change things.