Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: ROBOTO cracks are getting worse

It's no fun having a defective product, but WHY are people taking a figure KNOWN to be fragile, and doing things like sitting him in the windraider? And turning his torso all around? Take the argument of 'I should be able to' away. I agree you should be able to, but we know this figure is fragile. Why are you moving him all around?

Noboto.

I thought the paint was so ugly, the torso so disproportionate & the weapons so small & flimsy (about the same size & lower quality as the vintage), I swapped mine for something else.

Glad I did.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Mine cracked and I hate that it did. Personally I would rather have am improved Roboto over a ton of Filmation characters. That's just my opinion. Same for Snout Spout as well.

Hello people,
    I'm finally buying a Roboto. Now, assuming it arrives without cracks, what should I do??

Swapping the shoulders seems a very risky process to me (from the how-tos I've seen, it's not enough to heat and pop, you have to force the torso open, hoping it doesn't crack in your hands, and reglue it )

And we have at least one witness of cracks even with correct shoulders...

So, is it worth to try and swap the shoulders to try to avoid cracks??

I don't mind the wrong shoulders per se (it's barely visible), and I love to pose (i.e. play ) with my figures...
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

What's a fair price for Roboto MOC?

He is made of a very brittle plastic like the Goddess bodice (that sort of rhymes). I usually blow dry my Roboto on high heat to expand the plastic ever so often. I haven't got many scratches and cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post
    Hello people,
    I'm finally buying a Roboto. Now, assuming it arrives without cracks, what should I do??

Swapping the shoulders seems a very risky process to me (from the how-tos I've seen, it's not enough to heat and pop, you have to force the torso open, hoping it doesn't crack in your hands, and reglue it )

I don't mind the wrong shoulders per se (it's barely visible), and I love to pose (i.e. play ) with my figures...
    Yes, you have to risk it to fix the shoulders. Most of them used less glue since it's clear plastic. And it looks so much better when it's fixed.

(If you get it apart cleanly, don't re-glue it)

Hello people,

I don't know if you're talking about me or someone else, so maybe I'm a 2nd instance. But my Roboto came with correct shoulders and does in fact still have cracks. They weren't there initially, but have appeared and grown worse over time. I don't play or pose him. He hasn't moved other than me picking him up to look at the cracks maybe twice in the past year. The cracks are worst in his abdomen, so I doubt the shoulders have anything to do with it.

I'd leave it alone if I were you. That plastic is bad news.

No cracks after 30 years.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Yea' but his boots turned Purple.
    nothing that a little silver paint can't fix... Cracked torsos are harder to fix...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I must be one of the luckiest .orger`s around, my roboto has no cracks, my granamyr went together with ease and no broken parts, Goddess has taken a few tumbles on a 6 foot high bookshelf onto cement floor and is still perfect, my bronze King Grayskull has no broken feet, etc. The only figure I have that had any QC problems was the original King Grayskull, he suffers from the broken foot syndrome like most others but that`s it, I have had no problems at all with QC.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    nothing that a little silver paint can't fix... Cracked torsos are harder to fix...
    a little hard to paint gummy plastic tho
    Last edited by adam03; March 22, 2013 at 06:10pm.

My Roboto is still perfect too but after hearing stories about all of these cracks I decided not to change poses with mine. He's like a staction now. I only change out his weapon every once in awhile.

Yea' but his boots turned Purple.
    Purple is very fashionable on Eternia! (unless you're Spector)
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    yep, mine have gotten bad too. I'm going to need to buy another Roboto.
    maybe I will make a custom 200x Roboto. thats if I can buy a another at a decent price.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

My Roboto is still MOC and has several small cracks near both shoulders. Disappointing to say the least.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I have just checked my Cy-Chop. I never used him (he is in a lower shelf), but now it have cracks in the chest piece and never ever had any crack when I opened it...

I can´t do any pic, but the damage are:

CRACKS in abd zone

CRACKS in the back (arm zone)
    Last edited by Snake Hunter; March 22, 2013 at 09:20pm.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Thanks for all the answers, people!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    He is made of a very brittle plastic like the Goddess bodice (that sort of rhymes). I usually blow dry my Roboto on high heat to expand the plastic ever so often. I haven't got many scratches and cracks.
    That's surely an interesting approach! But wouldn't the repeated heating & cooling stress the brittle plastic even more??

(If you get it apart cleanly, don't re-glue it)
    That's also very interesting! The re-glue is a part that worries me a lot, I would avoid it gladly. But does it hold together decently without?

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    The cracks are worst in his abdomen, so I doubt the shoulders have anything to do with it.
    I'm very undecided, there's lot of evidence in both directions. Presumably the plastic is very brittle per se, the shoulders worsen it but are not the only cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    I have just checked my Cy-Chop. [...]
    And there goes any idea of a "transplant" between the two...
    (TRANS-plant... Ah! .... Geeeeh )

EDIT: Did someone talk about some sort of resin to "repair" the cracks?? Does that give a clean result?
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

My Cy-Chop came with small cracks in his back too. Scott can keep saying it was a machine problem all he wants with Roboto/Goddess until he's blue in the face, but I agree it's the cheap plastic being used. Too much evidence against it now.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    That's surely an interesting approach! But wouldn't the repeated heating & cooling stress the brittle plastic even more??
    Sirsniffy might be on to something here.

The basic problem is that the clear plastic used is poorly annealed as a result of being allowed to cool too rapidly after a thermal process (e.g. injection moulding, welding) during manufacture. This leaves residual stresses in the clear plastic that can cause cracking for no apparent reason. See my earlier posts on page 5 of this thread and/or Google the 'annealing of polycarbonate' and read the articles.

The solution for plastic and glass materials with high residual stresses is to re-heat the material/product to a specific temperature below its melting point for sufficient time that the residual stresses are relieved and without causing obvious degradation and distortion in the material/product. The process is called annealing.

Re-heating a plastic action figure may however lead to loss of colour and physical degradation (including fire) depending upon the plastics used, their exact chemical composition, the temperature they are subjected too and the length of time they are heated for. While I doubt using an electric drier or similar (as in sirsniffy's case) will generate sufficient heat for a long enough period to relieve the residual stresses from manufacture it might soften the plastic reducing existing stress concentrations (e.g. at joints or other contact points) that may initiate cracks thereby delaying the on-set of visible cracking.

Personally, I've taken the decision not to buy action figures with transparent plastic components until I see evidence that Mattel have had the manufacturer resolve the issue.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

I went through the process of changing shoulders. Still no cracks in my Roboto.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I'm surprised some people don't know this. But here's a tip that is very useful with your pink Roboto boots & your purple gummy Two Bad legs & feet.
    LIQUID WRENCH
    I bought mine at a local Ace Hardware store for less than $5. It comes as a spray. It takes the pink & purple right off. I spray it on those blue work towels & apply to the figures. And it also makes the figure look new.....glossy. You can virtually use it on every figure except on the Sorceress's chest,face & not on King Randors face.
    It ALSO get's any marks right off even those pesky black marks.
    So DON'T paint them either. Our job as collectors is to preserve. So try it. You'll be very pleased with the results.

Thanks Vican for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac Prime View Post
    Thanks Vican for the advice!
    No problem. I should mention that it does smell a bit. So do it in a ventilated area. On Roboto & Two Bads feet use the towel 1st then you'll probably need to use some Q-tips to get in those rivets. Good luck. I've even used it on some of my Classics figures that have spots on them.

Heroic Warrior Evil Lord of Destruction's Avatar
    I pretty much tortured mine for fun just now. Practically pried the torso apart. Then did Hunter's arm mod(great easy to follow man. I'd suggest caution for those that have never customized before.....at least on this guy.) Yeah.....toy is still in one piece. Heated him up for kicks to see if it will strengthen the plastic too. Great toy. got a few cracks on him but carefully put some glue on the cracks to re enforce them(cracks were already there before I messed with him and didn't get any bigger) To the people who broke theirs....what in God's name were you doing to him?????? He's pretty resilient.
    BESTIA PELUDA!!!!!<Skeletor dubbed in spanish
    At the center of the universe,at the border between the light
    and dark, stands castle greyskull.............