Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I get disappointed, yes... but I don't light torches and pitchforks.
    Tell me, how do you light a pitchfork?
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Out of curiosity, how many copies do you folks think each of these issues needs to sell in order to continue on after the last one? What are decent sales these days for a 6-issue series in this vein?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This was my first thought too.

It's been 10 years since their comic came out... I can understand disappointment, but I can't comprehend the rage involved in not bringing them back...

I'm more curious what happened with Dark Horse? Why did they get the contract for 3 mini comics.. but get passed over for the full comic??
    I wonder if Mattel is leery of having any artist/creator or company being too closely associated with He-man that it dilutes Mattel's perceived ownership of the brand. I think it could be argued, at least to the six year old still living in me, that Filmation was responsible for what made He-man cool, not Mattel. And even today, Classic Media has the rights to some of MOTU's most beloved characters.

So maybe they don't want Val and Emiliano or Dark Horse working on the new comic because they are trying to maintain total control over the brand, and letting anyone get too much creative input on that brand would dilute Mattel's control.

THis is more a theoretical guess than it is coming from any personal knowledge of what goes on behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    From the sounds of it, this isn't taking place in the MOTUC canon from the bios. It sounds like a completely original story.
    THANK GOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor View Post
    Tell me, how do you light a pitchfork?
    Lots of gasoline

Once again folks, I humbly request we don't turn the support of what MVCreations did into a negative. This is a new go at it. Let's give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Take a look at all the different Transformers comics, for example. Lots of different takes on the property, lots of different writers and artists over the years, multiple publishers, etc. Sure, some of it is better than the rest, but that can be said for any cartoon, comic, movie, etc.

We're getting a new MOTU comic, so that's something to be celebrated and I suggest reserving any criticisms about the book until we actually get it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilee4 View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Normally that wouldn't have been approached like that but Alex probably isn't an MOTU fan. I happen to be out of the office these past few days on a work trip or it would have been handled a little differently (I manage MTV Geek). But if you're familiar with the regular coverage of MOTU on the site you'll see that this was an aberration.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the above. What wilee4 and the crew there does is almost always positive, respectful and very well done. This was just one rare instance that's not indicative of MTV Geek and their love for MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    ...because they are trying to maintain total control over the brand, and letting anyone get too much creative input on that brand would dilute Mattel's control.
    Considering I have no control over the brand, nor have I ever, I'd say that theory is bunk. Only Mattel and Classic Media have control over the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by red laser View Post
    We don't need variant covers just a brand new series with a great story one thing though this same story idea was used to relaunch the Avengers after Heroes Reborn. But I'm hoping it's done in a way it's not the same old.
    I'm all for variants. People don't need to buy them if they don't want to, and it gives different artists a shot at doing their rendition of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many copies do you folks think each of these issues needs to sell in order to continue on after the last one? What are decent sales these days for a 6-issue series in this vein?
    That's a tough call. I'm sure if they get digital rights as well, then that will help. But, comic sales are pretty low these days. Licensed comics makes it even harder because a royalty has to be paid which cuts into the bottom line.

DC's budget for books doesn't necessarily operate around each title, but more for their publishing as a whole. Similar to Marvel. Still, each title usually does need to perform well to keep going in its current incarnation.

For some sort of benchmark, I'd look at the recent cancellations of the new "Men of War," "Mister Terrific," "O.M.A.C.," "Hawk and Dove," "Blackhawks" and "Static Shock." Sales estimates put those titles around 14,000 or less.

So, IMO, if the new 6 issue mini performs under that in sales estimates, I wouldn't predicate anything beyond those 6. but if it does better over the course of the series, that could be a positive turn for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Unless there's some leniency in his contract, that won't happen. Nord just became exclusive with Valiant Comics.
    Yeah I JUST read that after I posted, I wonder if those contracts generally prevent guys from doing covers too. I'd love to see him do something. TG if you read this look into it will ya!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'm so excited, I'm a big comic fan, so more MOTU comics the better. Plus, with it being DC, there's a better chance this could come into my local comic store in England than if it had been with an independant company!

Plus, the story sounds something similar to a story from the 80's UK comic, called the Reality Shaper, where Hordak took over Eternia by twisting reality (Oh, and Mr MTV Geek person, his plan after doing so? Invading 2 other planets!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Why would we assume Teela is the Sorceress?
    I'm not getting this either, surely the mysterious Sorceress is, erm, The Sorceress?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Since some folks are suggesting this is an 'Elseworlds' type of storyline (first time I'm hearing that term btw..sad, I know.), I think it would be pretty epic to eventually incorporate Jon's original legend for The Star Sisters; the one that has the celestial witch sending them on a collision course with Eternia "once upon a bygone eon", instead of Etheria, thereby causing the catastrophic impact that formed the subterranean Crystal Catacombs.

It would be kick-ass to have The Star Sisters be sort of like a diametric/heroic opposite of The Stygian Witches from Clash of the Titans. Perhaps the Sorceress could send He-Man on a perilous quest to the Crystal Catacombs to find and liberate this trio and attain some sort of knowledge or additional powers (perhaps via their Star Crystals) to help him defeat X enemy.

After freeing them, I'm picturing a scene where The Star Sisters are circling He-Man in fascination with each taking turns finishing the others' sentences in a deadpan sort of tone.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's a tough call. I'm sure if they get digital rights as well, then that will help. But, comic sales are pretty low these days. Licensed comics makes it even harder because a royalty has to be paid which cuts into the bottom line.

DC's budget for books doesn't necessarily operate around each title, but more for their publishing as a whole. Similar to Marvel. Still, each title usually does need to perform well to keep going in its current incarnation.

For some sort of benchmark, I'd look at the recent cancellations of the new "Men of War," "Mister Terrific," "O.M.A.C.," "Hawk and Dove," "Blackhawks" and "Static Shock." Sales estimates put those titles around 14,000 or less.

So, IMO, if the new 6 issue mini performs under that in sales estimates, I wouldn't predicate anything beyond those 6. but if it does better over the course of the series, that could be a positive turn for more.
    Thank you much for the explanation.

They haven't mentioned She-ra or POP at all. So I wouldn't count on any POP characters in this comic, unfortunately.
    Mattel may have POP in the new MOTUC, but that's because they can do toys. Licensing wise, I'm pretty sure CM still treats MOTU and POP as separate licenses. Hope I'm wrong, though! Of course, keep in mind you haven't seen POP art for the new styleguide either.

Why should it be elseworlds though? I mean look, if Skeletor won, and he got the power of Grayskull, he essentially has the power to do anything, so he messed up everyone on Eternia and made them think things were a certain way/re-wrote the truth etc. it's a great jumping off point IMO and skirts having a hard reset type situation (like thundercats) and we aren't subjected to a drawn out origin story as we get a reawakening story. for my money it's potentially a great way to go as we still get the hero's journey but we don't have to start at the beginning and waste 3 issues buiding up the character (might still happen but this is a clean way to avoid that)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I assume by the end of the story things are reset or continue on as normal so the story isn't mean to stay in some alternate continuity.

As for sales, I think if everyone that bought MOTUC bought the comic it'd probably be doing pretty well by today's industry standards.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar

So I guess the 200 of us better buy at least 70 copies each!

This is excellent news, I like the cover shown, Grayskull looks awsome, and am really looking forward to it If their doing time travel I hope Spector is not in it, would be great to see Gwildor though.
    I'm a little surprised it with DC after the mini's were done by DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    From the sounds of it, this isn't taking place in the MOTUC canon from the bios. It sounds like a completely original story. I'm surprised by that, but at the same time totally cool with it!
    IMO this can only be a good thing, hopefully they wont be using 'real' names

Quote Originally Posted by dtowells View Post
    Does anyone know of a website that ships comics worldwide?
    ebay has lots of comic shops that ship worldwide mate.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    I guess I'm the only one with enough guts to tell the truth-

1. He-Man looks like a bad cosplayer took some crappy Photoshop pictures using a green screen for Grayskull.

2. The anatomy is COMPLETELY all over the place from decent to horrible.

3. The cross hatch technique is done incorrectly like they had a high school comic creator do it who's never learned the proper technique.

4. The colors are dull and muted- the effects are a BIT more impressive but still nothing special.

5. Grayskull's perspective is totally incorrect.

6. The fact that they totally (figuratively speaking) spit in Val and Emiliano's face simultaneously and continue to do so is complete and utter ********.

7. Finally, Tan is nothing to write home about and Robinson is the definition of mediocre.

I wonder if Mattel even stopped to think whether having a comic running that has a completely different canon than the toy line you are running at the same time could possibly lead to confusion for the brand? The one totally positive thing about this is it will be another area of market visibility and Mattel will have no excuse now not to increase the budget for the line unless they want to look like total asses to the fan base. Also before anyone asks- yes I mad, I find it extremely disrespectful that they totally screw E and V over time and time again when they were nothing but professional and could have used this project as an olive branch. I'm assuming Mattel and DC are more content with their mutual admiration and would rather not have amazing inks and color by Emil and Val but whatever.
    Dunno about "guts" to tell the "truth," but I'm pretty sure I pointed out that I was unhappy to see Tan on this upthread. Just sayin'.

I personally like Philip Tan's work, and I think it will compliment the MOTU universe well. The writing, I'm a little less confident in.

Let's hope that they bring in other names for future arcs/series. I'd love to see Gray & Palmiotti's take on MOTU, as well as Val & Emiliano for old time's sake.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    So I guess the 200 of us better buy at least 70 copies each!
    Haha that was classic. Better make it 80.

Heroic Warrior
    They haven't mentioned She-ra or POP at all. So I wouldn't count on any POP characters in this comic, unfortunately.
    I'm okay with that

Mattel may have POP in the new MOTUC, but that's because they can do toys. Licensing wise, I'm pretty sure CM still treats MOTU and POP as separate licenses. Hope I'm wrong, though! Of course, keep in mind you haven't seen POP art for the new styleguide either.
    That's a good point Val, I hope that CM and Mattel are working on some new art for POP.

Would those here who are excited for this mini series be interested (and buy) a new POP mini series? I know I would.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Snappy Threader
    I'm glad we are getting a new comic, though I have to say I'm not real thrilled with the new story, BUT......a rehash of old stories probably wouldn't get a new comic so I'm game to give it a shot. I will get each issue for sure no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    That's a good point Val, I hope that CM and Mattel are working on some new art for POP.

Would those here who are excited for this mini series be interested (and buy) a new POP mini series? I know I would.
    Oh yeah, definitely. +2 sales... lol

It'd be neat to hear their thoughts on what the likelihood is of DC pursuing the POP license if this mini-series does well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    Dunno about "guts" to tell the "truth," but I'm pretty sure I pointed out that I was unhappy to see Tan on this upthread. Just sayin'.

I meant more that people seem to be afraid to tell the truth around here lately so as not to be labeled as "haters" or whatever else is the popular insult now a days.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post

No, sorry...

I'm actually surprised that IDW the 200x Dark Horse as such didn't snap up this after all they have Real GhostBusters, GI Joe and TransFormers and I think Voltron too. But it makes sense DC getting it I suppose. My remark about variant covers stems from a Chronicles podcast where someone said variant covers put down sales of the MV series I'm just eager for MOTU to succeed in one media at least. I'm still annoyed the original cartoon is discontinued in the UK on dvd.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    For those still being negative (I do see a lot of people who say they will support it regardless); think of it this way:

If you support this MOTU comic by creators you don't like the chances are ever so much higher that there will be more MOTU comics. Or other media. And that means you might get stuff by people you DO like.

If you DON'T support this, then you're telling Mattel that you'd rather see no MOTU at all on the shelves if you can't get (favorite MOTU version goes here).

I don't normally encourage people to buy crap, but that's just the situation we're in.

Essentially this lol.

I hope to hell the preview image was just a poorly chosen one and that the regular art will be much more impressive- Tan has shown he has a good mastery of a darker art style when given the chance which would reflect MOTU well. Robinson has shown with the JL run that he's a good to great writer (and not so great on certain other books ). Now I will say that regardless of the final result of the quality, it's vitally important that we support the comic. Believe me people when I say that even if it were a total crap sandwich; the results for other aspects of the property, (MOTUC, games, cartoon etc.) would all be helped by it's success.