Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Looking forward to this.

I wonder if He-Man’s appearances will be limited to the mini-series?

If not a one-shot with Batman or Superman set on Earth could be a good idea to raise the profile of He-Man among comic fans. And assuming She-Ra is available, she could team-up with Supergirl or Wonder Woman thereby raising her profile too. Each one-shot might have Skeletor as the villain with an intriguing story arc explaining why he’s on Earth and causing trouble.

Just thinking (and hoping) out loud……..
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    I haven't said this in forever but this is totally RAD!!!!!!! I can't wait for July. The art work looks awesome. Can't wait to get under the covers with this one.

Just because it's by DC doesn't mean Superman etc should appear I don't want to see DC characters in this. I know it was done before and even Marvel did it but it's been done so lets move on to fresh stories and ideas.

Not to sound snarky, but is Castle Grayskull self-destructing in the background?

I'm thrilled they are producing a new comic for MOTU. I...could be happier about who they collaborated with to make it, but I don't have much knowledge of these artists so I won't judge them until I see what they've done. It's about time the DC connection yielded something like this though.

It's interesting to me how often He-Man gets turned into a rebel whose home was conquered. MYP was going to do it in their third season, MOTUC is following that story, the '87 movie did it, NA did it for a while when the Mutants took over Primus, and even the Star comics ended with Adam in a bleak future where Skeletor had taken over. I guess it's always more interesting if he's an underdog rather than the top guy. Also Skeletor looks more competent if he actually takes over rather than just a wannabe conquerer. But still, it's not the only way to do it.

Finally , I wonder if Mattel is letting them create and add new characters to MOTU in the 6 issues. Not adding new characters was such a sticking point with the MVC comics and I wonder if that was ever resolved. I know it's a hard sell in a year with Spector and Laser-Lot, but the potential for new characters is still a reason I'd like to see new media in the first place. I still wish Illumina, Might Bite, and Waspor had all bee introduced to fans in an actual story. I think they'd be as in-demand now as the 200x Count Marzo (although I think Illumina did pretty well just for her one official appearance).

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    It's interesting to me how often He-Man gets turned into a rebel whose home was conquered. MYP was going to do it in their third season, MOTUC is following that story, the '87 movie did it, NA did it for a while when the Mutants took over Primus, and even the Star comics ended with Adam in a bleak future where Skeletor had taken over. I guess it's always more interesting if he's an underdog rather than the top guy. Also Skeletor looks more competent if he actually takes over rather than just a wannabe conquerer. But still, it's not the only way to do it.
    Yeah. It's like in pro-wrestling. It's always more entertaining when the baby face is on the chase.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Not to sound snarky, but is Castle Grayskull self-destructing in the background?

I'm thrilled they are producing a new comic for MOTU. I...could be happier about who they collaborated with to make it, but I don't have much knowledge of these artists so I won't judge them until I see what they've done. It's about time the DC connection yielded something like this though.

Finally , I wonder if Mattel is letting them create and add new characters to MOTU in the 6 issues. Not adding new characters was such a sticking point with the MVC comics and I wonder if that was ever resolved. I know it's a hard sell in a year with Spector and Laser-Lot, but the potential for new characters is still a reason I'd like to see new media in the first place. I still wish Illumina, Might Bite, and Waspor had all bee introduced to fans in an actual story. I think they'd be as in-demand now as the 200x Count Marzo (although I think Illumina did pretty well just for her one official appearance).
    My point exactly- there is just something..."off" about the initial image and in fairness, Tan is capable of a lot better work if you look up his DA account. I second your thoughts on Illumina, Might bite, and Waspor as it's really a shame we never got the chance to know them better.

So excited right now! I hope the art and story are good...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

It's interesting to me how often He-Man gets turned into a rebel whose home was conquered.
    wasn't that the entire plot-line of the pop cartoon?

I'm all for variant covers and I think DC typically does them for their other series. Variant covers provide new artwork for the brand which is probably my favorite part of any comics. I really enjoy the IDW TMNT series and how they handle the covers with 1:4 and 1:10 variants with the occasional 1:25 variant. As long as I like the artwork I would buy the additional issues.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Statements like this will never cease to amaze me. The truth is that withOUT the Filmation cartoon, MOTU probably wouldn't have HAD a long run. I'm all for a darkER take on MOTU than we've seen before, and I agree that it hasn't ever reached the potential* it has always had, but Filmation gave this property its heart and soul, which are the main things that cause nostalgia, which is mainly why MOTU still had the legions of fans that it does.
    Or maybe it was because the toyline was so damn good. We don't know how long MOTU would have lasted without Filmation, but the line was doing well before the period where cartoons sold action figures, which MOTU started. Filmation made an already successful toyline even more successful, but it isn't like MOTU was failing at retail or anything at the time.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

When it comes to the art, I'm just willing to wait before I get too judgmental. Though I certainly understand people reacting to the one piece we've got. I like the look of the figure and I like the sword. Like I said before, Grayskull looks weird in that pic. It has a forehead, for one thing, which just seems weird. And the perspective is wonky. It looks like he had a pose and then tried to squish Grayskull in so you could see enough to recognize it but had to distort it a lot to make that work. BUT, it's possible this is the first thing he drew and that it had to come together quickly for an announcement, and it might not be indicative of the quality of the work that will be in the comic.

When I look at samples of Tan's art, it seems to vary in quality somewhat but overall I think it could be a fresh take on the characters.

I'm most intrigued to see what the design work looks like in the comic. He-man looks pretty much straight-up vintage (with some Classics coloring.) But he's also the main character. I wonder what Prince Adam will look like. What about Eternos? Or Snake Mountain? I'm just intrigued to see whether those things look more vintage or have more 200X influences.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    This plot reminds me to this:

"Kulan Gath, transformed Manhattan into a likeness of his native time. Everyone trapped on the island believed that the transformed world was the true world, with the exceptions of his enemy Spider-Man and the modern-day Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange." From a great saga where the X-Men fought Kulan Gath a villain from Conan.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

The new comic looks promising and I think it's great that it's coming from a big name like DC. It may lead to more exposure and marketing for MOTUC. I hope it results in more sales for Mattel and encourage them to use a bigger budget in 2013...I want a Classics-styled Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain playset!

Thankfully, my local comic book store is right down the street. I haven't bought a comic for over 10 years but I'll be picking these up. I usually wait for the collected trade paperback but this time, I'll grab the single issues and show my support. I may even get the digital version, too!

I think the problem with Grayskull in that image is the fact that it looks like its leaning to one side. The perspective is all wrong. Having said that, I like the look of Grayskull itself. Very Filmation. Can't see the problem with He-Man, though. To me, it looks like He-Man, and the anatomy looks fine for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Or maybe it was because the toyline was so damn good. We don't know how long MOTU would have lasted without Filmation, but the line was doing well before the period where cartoons sold action figures, which MOTU started. Filmation made an already successful toyline even more successful, but it isn't like MOTU was failing at retail or anything at the time.
    Well, we KNOW from at least one territory where the toyline was a huge, HUGE success and where the Filmation cartoon was barely even noticed.

Yeah, hopefully they'll put some "Classics" ads in the damn comic.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Considering MOTU has had longer gaps between its eras than other popular toy franchises of the 80's like Transformers & G.I. Joe, this is pretty big that it's getting a comic from DC(one of comics' "Big 2") while every other one was released by smaller companies like Dreamwave, Devil's Due, or IDW. Even Thundercats, which is owned by DC's parent company, was released by Wildstorm instead.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    wasn't that the entire plot-line of the pop cartoon?
    What's you're point? It wasn't He-Man's plot line was mine. They keep giving him She-Ra's plot despite that being a distinction between him and She-Ra's shows.

What's you're point? It wasn't He-Man's plot line was mine. They keep giving him She-Ra's plot despite that being a distinction between him and She-Ra's shows.
    i'm just saying, it's not new to motu.

Quote Originally Posted by red laser View Post
    Just because it's by DC doesn't mean Superman etc should appear I don't want to see DC characters in this. I know it was done before and even Marvel did it but it's been done so lets move on to fresh stories and ideas.
    I completely agree with this.

While I like the MOTU vs DC figure 2 paks, I have no desire to see further intermingling of these universes in comics or on screen.

Let's show the comic producing world MOTU doesn't need Superman, Batman or some other franchise to sell our stories.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I completely agree with this.

While I like the MOTU vs DC figure 2 paks, I have no desire to see further intermingling of these universes in comics or on screen.

Let's show the comic producing world MOTU doesn't need Superman, Batman or some other franchise to sell our stories.
    I don't think that's going to be a problem. With DC's New 52 reboot and as editor driven as it is, I don't think they're going to be open to a MOTU crossover.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The Grayskull in the image, it's leaning that way as a artistic choice, it feels as though the artist was going for a motnage-esque effect, not a full on portrait style piece. its for dramatic and artistic effect. not one I think worked great but he tried something new. outside of that the grayskull looks good. we'll see how it goes i looked up some of tan's work his style isn't quite my favourite but i've seen worse.

As much as I like Emiliano's work, his actual He-Man fell flat for me (I also disliked the blonde eyebrows Val gave him ). not that it wasn't good wither I'm just REALLY picky with how he-man is rendered.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i'm just saying, it's not new to motu.
    I didn't say it was, in fact I pointed out it was becoming an oft-used (maybe overly so depending on preferences) alternative to his more familiar set up with a peaceful Eternia that Skeletor is still trying to conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Looking forward to this.

I wonder if He-Man’s appearances will be limited to the mini-series?

If not a one-shot with Batman or Superman set on Earth could be a good idea to raise the profile of He-Man among comic fans. And assuming She-Ra is available, she could team-up with Supergirl or Wonder Woman thereby raising her profile too. Each one-shot might have Skeletor as the villain with an intriguing story arc explaining why he’s on Earth and causing trouble.

Just thinking (and hoping) out loud……..

I'm hoping that Spector sends He-Man back in time so that he can take part in the greatest DC crossover event of all time:

1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! This is very exciting! The premise sounds awesome - a story that Masters really hasn't done before, and I like it! And the cover looks GREAT. And I LOVE that it will have the DC stamp. Can't wait!
    – No comment.