Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374
Results 1,826 to 1,834 of 1834

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Widget
    DC's going to do what they want. At least we're getting some published print. Reading all the posts it seems like we're going through the stages.

1. Denial (The comic is just a mini-series, it won't last...)
    2. Anger (It's stupid, I hope it gets cancelled)
    3. Bargaining (If only He-Man was the He-Man I want, just make a small change DC are you reading this?)
    4. Depression (Stops replying, keeps reading thread)
    5. Acceptance (Stops reading thread)

Quote Originally Posted by bootrix2 View Post
    DC's going to do what they want. At least we're getting some published print. Reading all the posts it seems like we're going through the stages.

1. Denial (The comic is just a mini-series, it won't last...)
    Wow. I never believed we wouldn't get a new comic or any kind of media for years.

2. Anger (It's stupid, I hope it gets cancelled)
    What!? Teela's Blonde? Why?

3. Bargaining (If only He-Man was the He-Man I want, just make a small change DC are you reading this?)
    If only they would make Teela a redhead again.... oh they did?

4. Depression (Stops replying, keeps reading thread)
    Someone mentioned 'in a movie year' again.

5. Acceptance (Stops reading thread)
    Well the movie does have a director attached and GI Joe 2 does look to be better than GI Joe 1. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    yep... Totally disagree with everything here.. Personally I HATE the popularity of the anti hero/vigilantes... At their best I find them boring, at their worst they're essentially villains themselves.

1)Heroes don't have the right to take the law into their own hands... Anyone who criticizes batman for not killing Joker... Needs to look JUST as hard at Arkham guard #3... or Gordan... or the mailman who sees him drive by... They ALL would have this 'heroic responsibility' to snap the clowns neck... or anyone else whos a danger for that matter...

2) If you kill the bad guys... you have no more bad guys. Or good guys for that matter... Death in stories like this... take more from the story then they give. EVERY one of the MOTU... good and Bad guys are AWESOME... They are not general mooks. or Sidekicks... or peasants.... They are 'heroic/evil masters of... Whatever. Whatever it is they are doing... they are the BEST at it.

The good guys are like the Expendables... All the greatest heroes of the land joining together to fight the evil....and the evil guys have assembled the greatest monsters from the universe to fight them.... Every ONE of them should have the skills and battle prowess to survive a fight.

Otherwise... you end up just replacing the dead guy with someone else that's less interesting. Teela-sorceress, SLL-Man at arms... Whoever takes over for Stratos... Random deaths are for horde troopers and no name palace guards.
    See now, I never said anything about anti-heroes. Anti-heroes do indeed take the law into their own hands but killing on a battlefield does not make someone an anti-hero. As a matter of fact, killing IS the law of the battlefield. I see He-Man and the Masters like a modern police/military force (with superpowers). They kill when they have to and subdue whenever possible. Just because someone kills doesn't make them an anti-hero.

Now in reference to #2- You speak the truth. This is the major reason heroes who wield swords and the like never kill- to keep the story going. However just because someone is "awesome" doesn't mean there isn't someone better. And while I can agree death for death's sake in stories can seem pointless it does bring a certain amount of realism to a battle. In battle many great people do die randomly. You can be the best swordsman on the planet, but that won't stop a sniper bullet that you never saw coming.

I find it funny that you say you hate anti-heroes and then compare the Masters to the Expendables- true anti-heroes who take the law into their own hands and kill anyone in their way.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe View Post
    I find it funny that you say you hate anti-heroes and then compare the Masters to the Expendables- true anti-heroes who take the law into their own hands and kill anyone in their way.
    My first example was going to be GiJoe... but I felt that would fall flat since so many people want MORE killing in the Joe universe

But yeah, i see the Joes, the Masters and Justice league as a 'What if... Rambo, Chuck Norris, John MClaine, and Conan joined a team....'

They all dodged (or took) bullets in their OWN adventures... Because they were the 'epic' level characters that they are... Why does joining a team turn them to fodder?

TriKlops... Trap Jaw... Merman?? These are all EPIC level villians. Ocean warlords... Feared Bounty hunters... Criminals that on their own are massive threats!! Joined togther under Skeletor??? Nearly unstoppable.

Stray laser blasts should not stop people as awesome as that. Its poor story telling. Personally I prefer my stories to be more Epic.. and less 'realistic'. Especially in fantasy. When I look at Masters of the universe, I take realism... put it in a box and set it on fire. I have no use for it. I want talking tigers and magic swords.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe View Post
    I find this argument ridiculous. It is okay for He-Man to kill creatures but not humans? Just because demons are demons doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. And hey, let's not forget what Skeletor is- 1/2 Demon, 1/4 Human, 1/4 Gar so by your math He-Man should be able to kill him.

What you are basically saying is on the battlefield it would be okay to kill Clawful, Beast-man, Mer-man, Trap-Jaw, Faker, and Whiplash just as long as he doesn't kill Evil-Lyn, Tri-Klops and Jitsu... right?

Keeping sociopaths alive who will repeatedly kill innocent people if given the chance isn't heroic. It is moronic. It is heroic to take on the burden of having to kill one person (or a few people) in order to save thousands. They key is for them not to kill excessively. It goes to show that when they do decide it is necessary to kill just how important that choice is. Is it really remarkable that He-Man doesn't kill in Shard? He never killed in the 200x series, so his choice not to kill is just an illusion.

A heroic warrior who is constantly in battle but never kills is very two dimensional if they don't deal with the consequences of that choice. Batman makes that choice and constantly deals with the consequences. That is what makes him interesting (okay, one of the things). The versions of He-Man you are speaking of for the most part just ignore that killing is even an option (Shard story not-withstanding) which isn't dealing with the consequences... it is living in a fantasy world (inside of another fantasy world! ).

‘What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature when he had a chance!’

‘Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began the ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.’

‘I am sorry,’ said Frodo. “I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum.’

‘You have not seen him,’ Gandalf broke in.

‘No, and I don’t want to,’ said Frodo, ‘He deserves death.’

‘Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when it comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.'

(Professor J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring (New York: Ballantine Books, 1994) pp 65-66.)
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 24, 2013 at 06:30pm.

Snappy Threader
    Ok question.....I did the sub for the comic, but I never received a confirmation or order number or anything......did anyone ordering a comic sub get anything back??

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Ok question.....I did the sub for the comic, but I never received a confirmation or order number or anything......did anyone ordering a comic sub get anything back??
    Yes, I got an order confirmation after subbing.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    ‘What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature when he had a chance!’

‘Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began the ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.’

‘I am sorry,’ said Frodo. “I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum.’

‘You have not seen him,’ Gandalf broke in.

‘No, and I don’t want to,’ said Frodo, ‘He deserves death.’

‘Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when it comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.'

(Professor J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring (New York: Ballantine Books, 1994) pp 65-66.)
    Frodo and Bilbo weren't warriors, so the idea of them killing is a bigger issue. Now if Gollum had encountered Aragorn, Gimli or Legolas things might have been very different.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Frodo and Bilbo weren't warriors, so the idea of them killing is a bigger issue. Now if Gollum had encountered Aragorn, Gimli or Legolas things might have been very different.

But Aragorn did encounter Gollum - he hunted him and brought him in after Gollum left Mordor and bound him and brought him to Gandalf; but he didn't kill him. Aragorn is man of Westernesse, of the high blood of Numenor, and a true king. Like He-Man he represents what is good and noble (and Anduril is also special - though not quite like the Sword of Power) and is an opponent that even Sauron fears - because he is far more than a brutal killer; many warriors are - it really isn't a question of one or the other. And why should it be?
    Elves, being immortal (though subject to death in battle) and therefore imbued with both wisdom and sorrow, also take life reluctantly - though not so with the Orcs, whom they see as utterly corrupted. They held Gollum imprisoned, but, far from killing him, out of their pity for his state they were so lenient in his imprisonment that they actually made it possible for him to escape them - with aid from the orcs of Dol Guldur. The Naugrim - Dwarves - have their own code - but it isn't without a high level of honour by any means.

In any case, I wasn't making a very direct comparison; Middle Earth and Eternia, like to Eternia and our own world, have different realities and operate along different lines. I was simply suggesting that the kind of crude black and white vigilantism evinced by some is not applicable to He-Man, who is too stong, skilled and endowed with Elder-inspired wisdom to need to or want to kill.

I just felt that Gandalf - as ever - put the essential philosophical issue of it rather well: Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment.

That is the way of wisdom; it does not necessarily make things easy, doing what is right; but that does not stop it being right. He-Man surely knows that to spare his enemies may well mean having to fight them all over again. Does this make him a moron, then? No; it makes him a character of genuine depth and strength, both moral as well as physical, possessed of a further dimension. Is it not far more ennobling to a character to live with the consequences of not submitting to the natural and primitive urge to seek revenge? For who knows the ends that mercy can turn to? Vengeance enacted - retribution - closes a great many doors - both the chance of reform and redemption, and of the extension of mercy. On that basis He-Man should not redeem Despera - he should decapitate her, as she has the innocent. Simple; but a touch draconian, perhaps?

It's also bad storytelling - and, after all, these are just that; stories. If they tell a gripping tale, then it works; if it has internal consistency and context, then it works. If it proves compelling and provokes debate - then likewise. That's what writers do - or are meant to! Wholesale slaughter of MotU characters is unlikely to make for good narrative, is it? In any case, I really don't think that simplistic tales of brutal revenge fit well into MotU; hence my dismay at the Sword of Power stained with the blood of those pathetic little tribesmen hired or ensorcelled by Evil-Lyn. So very unfitting to He-Man - an utter negation of all that he is and stands for. Thirty years of high ideals and restraint - all vitiated by an apparent massacre of people who could have done him no harm. Just bad, bad narrative, plainly not thought-through - and probably designed for a cheap shock effect. What a colossal error of writing and editorial judgement.

Narrative purposes - as well as those of good sense - dictate that there must be clear ground between good and evil; dilemmas, yes - but, at base, an essential and recognizable difference; or why should we even care who wins? Again - these are stories, fables - to some extent the antidote to reality.

The problem, for those enamoured of a killer He-Man, seems to stem from an inability or unwilingness to see that Eternia and Earth 2013 are just not the same, and that includes the intrinsic nature of reality. The created structure of Eternia will not stand the rigorous and brutal imposition of the kind of reality we face in the here and now; it was never designed for that purpose, and attempts to twist it in that direction are doomed to fail.

As I say, doing the right thing is hard - especially on the battlefield. Experto crede, veriter.
    But that doesn't stop it from being the right thing - even for those of us not imbued with the beneficent Power of the Elders.

I only wish that I had always been able to live up to such ideals myself.
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 25, 2013 at 01:32pm.