Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Yeah I JUST read that after I posted, I wonder if those contracts generally prevent guys from doing covers too. I'd love to see him do something. TG if you read this look into it will ya!
    Usually exclusives are a nice way of saying "if you work for Marvel, you can't work for DC"(or vice-versa). There have been several exceptions where exclusive talent can still work for independent companies or on creator owned books. Since Valiant is new(at least this version of the company), I'm not sure how their contracts will work.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    They haven't mentioned She-ra or POP at all. So I wouldn't count on any POP characters in this comic, unfortunately.
    Mattel may have POP in the new MOTUC, but that's because they can do toys. Licensing wise, I'm pretty sure CM still treats MOTU and POP as separate licenses. Hope I'm wrong, though! Of course, keep in mind you haven't seen POP art for the new styleguide either.
    To be honest, all I've ever cared about when it came to MOTU legalities was whether Mattel could make Filmation toys. Are you saying that Mattel can't make any POP comics at all even if they weren't done in the Filmation style?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 7, 2012 at 11:19am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Well, I hope it is good simply because I'm not sure we hardcore fans who would buy it no matter what would be enough to support it. So hopefully it'll be good in it's own right to attract more casual fans and comic book readers.

Whatever people may think personally of Robinson or Tan, the good news is that they are well thought of in the industry. It's not like DC stuck some lower-tier or untested creators on this just to get it done. So that's very encouraging as far as their level of commitment and I hope they keep it up. I actually like the idea of a series of mini-series if we can't get an ongoing that features different writers and artists, and certainly I'd love to have Val and Emiliano in that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    To be honest, all I've ever cared about when it came to MOTU legalities was whether Mattel could make Filmation toys. Are you saying that Mattel can't make any POP comics at all even if they weren't done in the Filmation style?
    I think what Val is saying is that Mattel might license out MOTU and POP separately. One important thing to note is that this comic is called "He-man and the Masters of the Universe" not "Masters of the Universe Classics" (which would be an odd thing to license out for entertainment, frankly) or something. So the license might not inherently include POP characters.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Lots of gasoline
    Lol, I guess so!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well, I hope it is good simply because I'm not sure we hardcore fans who would buy it no matter what would be enough to support it. So hopefully it'll be good in it's own right to attract more casual fans and comic book readers.

Whatever people may think personally of Robinson or Tan, the good news is that they are well thought of in the industry. It's not like DC stuck some lower-tier or untested creators on this just to get it done. So that's very encouraging as far as their level of commitment and I hope they keep it up. I actually like the idea of a series of mini-series if we can't get an ongoing that features different writers and artists, and certainly I'd love to have Val and Emiliano in that mix.

I think what Val is saying is that Mattel might license out MOTU and POP separately. One important thing to note is that this comic is called "He-man and the Masters of the Universe" not "Masters of the Universe Classics" (which would be an odd thing to license out for entertainment, frankly) or something. So the license might not inherently include POP characters.
    Who knows if it goes beyond #6 the creative team could change over time so you might get your wish.
    Man-At-Arms: That's very interesting, but silly.

WE WANT NEW ADVENTURES AND MYP ON REGION 2 DVD.

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I'm really happy with this news, it's long overdue. Not 100% happy with the new art but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Hopefully this will lead to more exposure for MOTU and that can only be a good thing.
    Take each day as it comes, but never take it for granted.

I just peed myself…
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Wow I can't wait
    Im Hopping to see variant covers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by red laser View Post
    I'm actually surprised that IDW the 200x Dark Horse as such didn't snap up this after all they have Real GhostBusters, GI Joe and TransFormers and I think Voltron too. But it makes sense DC getting it I suppose. My remark about variant covers stems from a Chronicles podcast where someone said variant covers put down sales of the MV series I'm just eager for MOTU to succeed in one media at least. I'm still annoyed the original cartoon is discontinued in the UK on dvd.
    I'm sure it has to do with the relationship between Mattel and DC. I've heard a lot of bad things about how IDW has handled it's books so I'm glad it's DC that has MOTU.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I just peed myself…
    Is that a positive or negative reaction?
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    That's wonderful and you're totally allowed to have that opinion- try reading the other posts where I point out that I WILL SUPPORT IT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT I LIKE IT. Also since when is a critique negative?
    ok you're right,I did not read your other posts, only this one from hundreds and I caught my attention.

the issue is I feel that some fans have the ability to turn good news into bad news in seconds, I don't know I feel like it's a day to celebrate and some want to spoil the party.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

" DC Comics is getting ready to launch a brand new take on the Masters of the Universe this July, in a six issue comic book series "

My god! I just nerdgasmed!

"(Skeletor) is terrifying. Period. The silly era is done and gone. Phillip and I are taking great pains to make Skeletor, who is after all a barbarian warrior with a skull face, into a horrifying and worthy foe for He-Man. "

I just nerdgasmed again!

Christ, if they give a us a minicomics Ram-Man & not a gentle-hearted giant-buffoon I'll be.... Happy.

When is this going to happen? When? When?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I'm certainly with most everyone else here: This is fantastic news and I'm very excited.

However, the way it was announced (a short, rather poor interview just three months prior to the release date) feels a bit strange, particularly when there were opportunities to make an announcement at two very recent large conventions (WonderCon, ECCC) which, for such a well known property, would seem a little more appropriate. I'm very curious to learn more about the genesis of the project. Is it possible that DC could be working off of the original license they had? I'm getting the impression that Mattel may have had little involvement here, but of course I really don't know.

Nevertheless, great news and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    He just made it seem like Classic Media owns POP. I know that they own the Filmation designs(I still find it asinine that another company can own the rights for something Mattel created), but I thought Mattel could do whatever they wanted with She-Ra otherwise.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Hmmm... post-CfJ Robinson and Philip Tan of "The Draco" fame. Can't call myself enthused, although the premise is interesting in isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Statements like this will never cease to amaze me. The truth is that withOUT the Filmation cartoon, MOTU probably wouldn't have HAD a long run. I'm all for a darkER take on MOTU than we've seen before, and I agree that it hasn't ever reached the potential* it has always had, but Filmation gave this property its heart and soul, which are the main things that cause nostalgia, which is mainly why MOTU still had the legions of fans that it does.
    Exactly.

*is glad someone else said it so he didn't have to*
    Last edited by Reboot; April 7, 2012 at 02:31pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor View Post
    Tell me, how do you light a pitchfork?
    It's a bit tricky... unless you want it to just burn right up immediately.

But FEW things make as awesome a statement as a burning pitchfork!!

totally stoked... should be really cool to check out. Don't know why folks are already down on this. I checked out a lot of Phillip Tan's work and he has some amazing stuff. Some I don't like, it will be interesting to see what direction this series takes, but I'm all about the barbarian aspect, great news. Does anyone know if you can order these or do you have to go to the comic store?
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I find this very exciting! The premise is an interesting new start for MOTU, and I think will play out well. It's actually similar to She-Ra's story. I wonder if in this "elseworlds" version, Adora will still be on Eternia and NOT kidnapped?

The one thing that has me a tiny bit concerned if this continues past 6 issues, is that the people involved do not seem very knowledgeable about MOTU as a whole (based on that interview). It just seemed like they only know a bit about the Filmation cartoon and nothing else. I mean, Skeletor wasn't "silly" in the mini-comics, DC series, Marvel series, 87 movie, MYP or MVC. That's a lot of non-silly Skeletor.

The "Universe" part of Masters of the Universe was also explained in various media. Not only has He-Man traveled to different planets, times and dimensions, but whomever controls Castle Grayskull has the power to take over the Universe. There's also, you know, that whole SERIES and TOYLINE where He-Man travels to the FUTURE to the planet PRIMUS and a bunch of other planets... It just kind of bothered me because, from that interview, it made it seem like MOTU is all fluffy bunnies and the Three Stooges with no real plot or mythology (and it totally has both!).

If this DOES continue after the 6 issues, it would be nice if the main staples/legends of Eternia and MOTU aren't 100% re-written and honour its legacy. I mean, people like MOTU for a reason. No need to make it completely different.

Other than that little bit of a scare I have, I am very excited about the 6 issues. I do like the art, too. It is strange they went with DC, rather than Dark Horse (MOTUC mini-comics). Maybe it was just cheaper for them to go with DC or Mattel figures DC is a "stronger name" than Dark Horse? The mini-comics are sold when you buy the figures, but standalone comics have to sell on their own merits. *shrugs*

If this gets past the 6 issues, I hope they get Val and Emiliano involved in some capacity (even if it's just explaining the mythology and importance of events, characters, places, etc. in MOTU). They are both an invaluable wealth of knowledge and talent. Someone earlier posted about Val and Emil doing a variant cover. I think that's an AMAZING idea! Toyguru said Mattel chose Geoff Johns to get his fans buying MOTUC, well a variant Val and Emil cover will get all their fans buying that issue and help advertise the new MOTU series.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    That's a good point Val, I hope that CM and Mattel are working on some new art for POP.

Would those here who are excited for this mini series be interested (and buy) a new POP mini series? I know I would.
    Absolutely, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely. +2 sales... lol

It'd be neat to hear their thoughts on what the likelihood is of DC pursuing the POP license if this mini-series does well.
    Agreed!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 7, 2012 at 04:11pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'm sure it has to do with the relationship between Mattel and DC. I've heard a lot of bad things about how IDW has handled it's books so I'm glad it's DC that has MOTU.
    I'm personally just glad that it's DC and not IDW due to quality issues. Not that "The New 52" is a masterpiece of modern storytelling, but pretty much everything that IDW comes out with (barring the Hama written GI Joe) has been pure garbage for the last several years. Such is the curse of building your empire on licensed properties, I suppose...
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

I hope that Mattel has the opportunity to plug mattycollector advertisements in EVERY issue

Is this story truly out of MOTUC continuity? Why can't it just be an adventure/storyline within??
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I'm personally just glad that it's DC and not IDW due to quality issues. Not that "The New 52" is a masterpiece of modern storytelling, but pretty much everything that IDW comes out with (barring the Hama written GI Joe) has been pure garbage for the last several years. Such is the curse of building your empire on licensed properties, I suppose...
    I agree. In the 80's, Marvel and, to a lesser extent, DC were the kings of licensed comics. These days, imo, it's Dark Horse & Dynamite(although I feel Dark Horse excels far more). Between the art in most of their books and the way the franchises are handled, IDW would be the last place I'd want to see MOTU. The only good thing about them is that they are pretty good about reprinting older material. I sure hope DC looks into that if the sales are good on this.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    ... pretty much everything that IDW comes out with (barring the Hama written GI Joe) has been pure garbage for the last several years. Such is the curse of building your empire on licensed properties, I suppose...
    I strongly disagree. The new TMNT and Ghostbusters ongoings are actually really, really good. They've done some good stuff with Star Trek, too. Haven't had a chance to read through the last several issues of Transformers, but it seems headed in the right direction. Between all of that and their reprint & hardcover collections (Transformers, 80s TMNT, D!ck Tracy, etc.), IDW is the publisher that gets most of my money these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    From the sounds of it, this isn't taking place in the MOTUC canon from the bios. It sounds like a completely original story. I'm surprised by that, but at the same time totally cool with it!
    See I dont see it that way at all. Along the timeline He-Man has had a ton of adventures, not all of which are ever told. All kinds of things can happen between here and there.

I'm not saying they are cannon specifically, in as much as the greater MOTUC is concerend, but that until we read it and know otherwise, it could easily fit somewhere in the timeline. Before He-Man regains his identity after Skeletor takes over and Randor is banished, for instance. Secret Sorceress could be Teela taken on her true identity.

Basically, much like why I like the MOTUC bios in the first place, which is because they try to link all stories in a unified way (to greater or lesser success) until I see a hard to ignore story point that we "know" inst true in MOTUC (like Duncan has been dead for 15 years, beast man is a Puma, ect) I can "fit it in" like I do everything else, and I almost will bet that is the idea Mattel is giving them.

Write a story, throw the whole world into flux. But leave it so that if we wanted to say it fit, it basically could. Or even the story will end in a place that fits in the bios already.

Remains to be seen.

I really like their Doctor Who comics IDW does too. So they're not all bad. Still, glad this is at DC.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    this is great news but honestly with history changing story if spector appears in any other role apart from being killed then its a farce
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook