Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Filmation DID have impact and importance, but people seem to forget that MOTU was a good idea and actual toyline before the cartoon existed. Filmation isn't the be-all and end-all of MOTU, especially to those fans who were collecting the line before the cartoon aired. Lou Schiemer didn't create the idea of He-Man keeping Skeletor from getting inside of Castle Grayskull to learn all of it's secrets.

Wrong Era War, Shokoti. It's the Pre-Filmation Era vs Filmation Era: The Vintage Era Consumes Itself Era War. Cartoon fans versus Toyline fans--whichever thing got you into MOTU or which aspect you like better.
    Oh MGM...WHAT are we gonna do with you?! Lol! I don't know how this became an era war cuz NO where in my post about Filmation did I say it was better than the initial toys or that those toys didn't do great on their own (I also had my first MOTU toys before the cartoon and I'm well aware of the history regarding MOTU and the FCC), I only said that the line grew due to receiving wider exposure from the show, just as anything grows from wider exposure, be that via a tv series, commercials, or a bad story in the news due to a faulty product or some kind of scandal. Yes Filmation is my favorite but I also loved the original mini-comics and I loved the crap out of the 200X cartoon and comic, just as I'm loving Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yeah for some reason people started up the elseworlds thing, but why would it be an elseworlds story when there hasn't been any major MOTU canon in DC since the early 80s and even then it wasn;t major. Elseworlds stories are deviations from DCs established continuity, this is a new limited miniseries.
    Exactly! This story can (and sounds like it does) take place in the same old Eternia we know and love. One day after all evil has been vanquished, He-Man and Duncan will be sharing ale and stories and they'll say "remember when Skeletor knocked down The Mystic Wall, and the time he found The Diamond Of Disappearance, and the time he rewrote reality, or the time he temed up with such-and-such villain to try to do such-and-such..."

This is just another adventure with these characters that we're learning about for the first time. They're not saying Adam was ALWAYS a farmer in this story, but that Skeletors made him think he has always been one with a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I can't really decide. I'm not a fan of the bios, but Robinson wrote Cry For Justice. It will be really easy to pick out the comic readers in that fight though.
    I enjoyed Cry For Justice--I didn't love it, but I more than liked it enough feel that my optimism about this MOTU comic is justified (no pun intended). Plus it had some GREAT character driven moments.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; April 9, 2012 at 04:52am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

master of hiphop
    I will be snagging these bad boys up for sure

it's so nice to see this line getting the attention it deserves with toys now comics... Movie?? keep em rolling!!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    I will be snagging these bad boys up for sure

it's so nice to see this line getting the attention it deserves with toys now comics... Movie?? keep em rolling!!
    Exactly, people complaining before we even get issue one need to realize there is at least some good here...the brand is EXPANDING! I'm not one who feels any exposure is good, I'd honestly rather have an awesome movie that flops a la John Carter vs a terrible movie that's a hit a la Transformers (all my personal opinion). but in a perfect world I'd rather an awesome movie that's a hit (for my money Dark Knight). Speaking of which, I'm a HUGE Batman fan, Nolan changed things but IMO remained true to the characters and it worked. He-Man is the one property I love more than Batman and I'm fine with changes so long as the characters are true to form and it's done well.

But for the time being, we have only positives here. THE BRAND IS EXPANDING! that is great news. everything else is speculative, it may be awesome it may suck (fact is it will be awesome for some and suck for others no matter what we get) the hope is it's awesome for the bulk of us and the pulblic at large. if this book is a hit, the movie will move much faster.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

master of hiphop
    agreed for the most part !!

the fact that the story line is a complete left field adaptation is great, because who knows.. maybe if a movie is ever released it will follow along another completely different story line.... MOTU is alive and well and lets embrace it and enjoy it.. because it wasn't that long ago that we had... NADA!! and look at it now

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Exactly, people complaining before we even get issue one need to realize there is at least some good here...the brand is EXPANDING! I'm not one who feels any exposure is good, I'd honestly rather have an awesome movie that flops a la John Carter vs a terrible movie that's a hit a la Transformers (all my personal opinion). but in a perfect world I'd rather an awesome movie that's a hit (for my money Dark Knight). Speaking of which, I'm a HUGE Batman fan, Nolan changed things but IMO remained true to the characters and it worked. He-Man is the one property I love more than Batman and I'm fine with changes so long as the characters are true to form and it's done well.

But for the time being, we have only positives here. THE BRAND IS EXPANDING! that is great news. everything else is speculative, it may be awesome it may suck (fact is it will be awesome for some and suck for others no matter what we get) the hope is it's awesome for the bulk of us and the pulblic at large. if this book is a hit, the movie will move much faster.
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Are all DC comic issues available at DC's digital service? Should we expect that this will be found there too?

I hope we see characters like Jitsu in this mini series instead of the same old guys

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    I hope we see characters like Jitsu in this mini series instead of the same old guys
    Good idea. A little variety is a good thing. It sounded like they might not even be planning to include Orko, so maybe we'll get a real roster shake-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Are all DC comic issues available at DC's digital service? Should we expect that this will be found there too?
    I would have to guess that there will be a very high chance of this being digitally released.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSpandex View Post
    As you'll see from my last paragraph, I have acknowledged it as such. I don't have the time to sift through 13 pages of posts to find the poster that originally suggested the parallel universe concept, but I am simply responding to that. Having a different "take" on a brand can open the door for the parallel universe continuity. I'm simply saying that I sincerely hope that isn't the case. I think it's weak and I'd rather a brand not attempt to explain continuity issues than use the parallel universe garbage. That, in my opinion, is what causes some of the negative feelings towards the MOTUC bios -- a need to explain continuity issues.
    I'm not arguing with you, you bring up a great point! When you use words like "parrell universe of Elseworlds" a lot of people assume it will be "He-Man as a pirate" or "Masters of the Universe in the old west", which simply isn't the case. I'm sure the comic will be a new story with elements of the classic Masters of the Universe "property". Man, it was really hard not to use the word continuity.

I would almost guarantee is 100%. They've gone day and date digital with just about all their titles. And even though I don't have a tablet of any sort, I'll still buy it on Comixology just to read it on the computer.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm suddenly hearing "Badstreet, USA" in my head for some reason...!

For my part, I'm interested enough to check this out, but not enough to buy it on blind faith, given the creative team and premise, so it's probably trade waiting for me. I saw an argument a few pages back about how you "have to" support this if you want more. Which is probably true... but I have found that while doing so may help the brand/property, it doesn't help you. If you like it, or you think it looks cool, buy it. If you're interested but are unsure, wait to buy it. If you're not into it, don't buy it. Easy peasy.

*And the creative team, who most likely do not have that deep level of knowledge
    Last edited by DJ_Convoy; April 9, 2012 at 12:03pm.

Well this sounds like exactly what all those Barbarian-era He-Man fans have been hoping for! A series that keeps Skeletor evil and frightening and He-Man a warrior. The big question is - will the "Sorceress" be the one we know from the Filmation series, or the Teela-esque Sorceress with the snake armor?

I'm not loving the art too much, and the premise sounds like it'll take all six issues for things to be recognizable, so I'll probably just flip through this.

I'm assuming it's just the Sorceress. I don't think the Sorceress is supposed to be mysterious to US, she's mysterious to Adam himself as he doesn't remember her.

Digital seems sensible for us in Europe. Lets hope there isn't any strange licensing deal preventing them to sell it online.

god, I suck at searches, couldn't find this thread before I started mine . will have to read that article. But I still think JVS3 and crew got a shaft deal from mattel.. wonder if DC will have more muscle power to work with them.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Well this sounds like exactly what all those Barbarian-era He-Man fans have been hoping for! A series that keeps Skeletor evil and frightening and He-Man a warrior. The big question is - will the "Sorceress" be the one we know from the Filmation series, or the Teela-esque Sorceress with the snake armor?
    Not quite...Prince Adam, transformations and Orko are still around. At least it won't be silly or cartoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    god, I suck at searches, couldn't find this thread before I started mine . will have to read that article. But I still think JVS3 and crew got a shaft deal from mattel.. wonder if DC will have more muscle power to work with them.
    I still think that Val and Emiliano could work on the title eventually. Val freelance works for DC NOW. I imagine that DC doesn't have the same hang-ups about working on MOTU that Mattel does. It's strange though...TG will let James Robinson have his own MOTU Canon, but he won't let Val publish the remaining sourcebook pages.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Why would you want comics digitally? You can't read them in the bathroom or on the bus.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I still think that Val and Emiliano could work on the title eventually. Val freelance works for DC NOW. I imagine that DC doesn't have the same hang-ups about working on MOTU that Mattel does. It's strange though...TG will let James Robinson have his own MOTU Canon, but he won't let Val publish the remaining sourcebook pages.
    May your optimism prove prophetic!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Why would you want comics digitally? You can't read them in the bathroom or on the bus.
    you can't?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    I love getting my comics on the Ipad2, I can carry 100 or more issues with me, where ever I go!

though for the new MOTU ones, I will want to buy both printed and digital
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I enjoyed Cry For Justice--I didn't love it, but I more than liked it enough feel that my optimism about this MOTU comic is justified (no pun intended). Plus it had some GREAT character driven moments.
    I'm not going to lie. I didn't hate Cry For Justice as much as some people seem to. It wasn't all bad. It's just that a lot of the bad parts(Hal bragging about having theeseomes with other heroes, Roy losing an arm, Lian getting killed off, etc.) were, imho, extremely bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    I'm not arguing with you, you bring up a great point!
    Stop arguing with people!

And even though I don't have a tablet of any sort, I'll still buy it on Comixology just to read it on the computer.
    Traitor! Print is dying because of you!!!
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 9, 2012 at 01:37pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'm not a comic afficianado, generally a story has to be complete horse crap before I go off about it, usually if i find enough elements to enjoy, I'm happy with a story. the Geoff Jones opening Justice League arc for example it wasn't garbage, but it played out aVERY hollywood summer movie-esque. lots of flair anf flash but not much substance and the end felt so cheesy to me. I enjoyed it enough but it was to me pretty forgetable overall. now that doesn't mean I hate Johns as a writer, (to be honest i'm not very familiar with his work) but for that arc, he fell flat.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    Someone doesn't wash their hands

Heroic Warrior
    This news made me really happy. I love the new take, and I think the promo art is fantastic. I am disappointed that we only got 4 pages in before the negativity took some really cool news and drove the thread negative. I for one will not just be buying this to support the line, but because it looks really cool. its a shame how every thread ultimately winds up in the same place. I feel bad for those that hate everything new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'm not going to lie. I didn't hate Cry For Justice as much as some people seem to. It wasn't all bad. It's just that a lot of the bad parts(Hal bragging about having theeseomes with other heroes, Roy losing an arm, Lian getting killed off, etc.) were, imho, extremely bad.

Stop arguing with people!

Traitor! Print is dying because of you!!!
    I guess I am just too old school! I can't grasp why someone would want to invest in a digital comic book over the print ( I can understand both for mobility). Isn't the whole point to collect the artwork? It just doesn't seem the same keeping them as files
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

STORY
    It seems to me they're trying to blend the Pre-Filmation and the Filmation worlds here...1) He's still prince Adam but 2) He comes from the forest to fight evil.

ART
    I'm not wowed by it. While it's a worms-eye perspective, his shoulders should never the less be bigger. MOTU anatomy is not real anatomy, it should be bordering on the absurd. As for styling, it looks very Filmation to me with the simplified chest armor, lack of bindings on the boots, the sword, and the hint of a dutch boy hairdo. Let's hope this piece was rushed and done from memory. I liked the new T-Shirt art we saw a few months ago much better.