Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Sketches would have nothing to do with it...

I or someone here will post the Diamond Number for this when it is solicited in Previews- then you can call your retailer with that info. If someone hasn't posted that info when the Previews with Masters hits, remind me and I'll flip thru Previews and post it-

Cheers mate.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

A Question

Wait a minute, so that amazing Skeletor illustration that was posted a few pages back, does that not have anything to do with the new comic? Was it just really good fan-art? I’m confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Wait a minute, so that amazing Skeletor illustration that was posted a few pages back, does that not have anything to do with the new comic? Was it just really good fan-art? I’m confused.
    that Skeletor is done by Dave Wilkins, the artist who is drawing the variant cover for issue one. technically it is fan art as he did it as a fan not for DC, it's just a sample of what he can do with MOTU so that we can imagine what his cover will look like.
    Last edited by krosfyah; April 12, 2012 at 10:08pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    that Skeletor is done by Dave Wilkins, the artist who is drawing the variant cover for issue one. technically it is fan art as he did it as a fan not for DC, it's just a sample of what he can do with MOTU so that we can imagine what his cover will look like.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Truly phenomenal work. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Hey, how are yous getting this pre-ordered?

I just called my local (Pheonix comics in Calgary) & they say that it isn't on the system & to call back once the sketches are out....

???
    Diamonds catalog hasn't been uploaded to there retailer site yet, when it is, I'll post the Diamond Code and that's what you give them when you call. I have NO clue what the comment about sketches meant.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Just read his Deviant Art comments section and he said he's working on Hordak now. Can't wait!

Pretty excited to be getting new comics. I'll pick this up for sure.
    Bill :: guitargod694

I like variant covers. It's a great opportunity to showcase a lot of different takes on the same characters.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

So... if this takes off, it'd be cool if DC considered producing some mini-comics for cross-promotional purposes to include in the quarterly figures...
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Attachment 74980

Skeletor by Dave Wilkins...

can't wait to see his cover!!

there is NOTHING cheesy about an image like this IMO, but to be fair, Skeletor isn't 16 and pregnant.
    Nice, but I really would like to see Skeletor with a more realistic skull. I.e. draw an actual freakin skull & put some red glowing dots in it.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Nice, but I really would like to see Skeletor with a more realistic skull. I.e. draw an actual freakin skull & put some red glowing dots in it.
    This.

I'm kind of amazed at how many people criticized the He-man pic based on anatomy or perspective, but applaud the skeletor one

I think the skull looks weird and misshapen myself. I'd hate for a series to have him look like that all the time.

Myself, i'll be getting the He-man/lightning cover

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think the skull looks weird and misshapen myself. I'd hate for a series to have him look like that all the time.
    I'm ok with the skull, it's more the hands and his legs that seem a bit off.
    The backdrop on the other hand is very impressive and I prefer the painterly style over the line-art.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Attachment 74980

Skeletor by Dave Wilkins...

can't wait to see his cover!!

there is NOTHING cheesy about an image like this IMO, but to be fair, Skeletor isn't 16 and pregnant.
    Finally taking at look at skeletor pic.

WOW o WOW o WOW

That's real nice.

I don't think the skull needs to be realistic, but I didn't like how huge the nasal cavity was. But that's VERY minor. I think the rest is pure awesome.

can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Pretty excited to be getting new comics. I'll pick this up for sure.
    You're retired? What the heck? Damn downsizing is affecting everyone in this economy!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    FWIW, I WILL be buying this book. I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Now on to the snarky sarcasm...
    Thank GOD we're getting some variant covers.
    We wouldn't want OUR favorite story to outgrow that played out publishing gimmick.

Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Quote Originally Posted by bigassbuzz View Post
    FWIW, I WILL be buying this book. I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Now on to the snarky sarcasm...
    Thank GOD we're getting some variant covers.
    We wouldn't want OUR favorite story to outgrow that played out publishing gimmick.
    Yeah, you expect that kind of crap from IDW but I honestly was expecting better from DC.

I hate variant covers. The general consensus among my comic buddies is that variant covers are lame, and are only purchased by weirdo completists. But retailers love them, because they can mark them up above cover price right out of the gate and these weirdo completists will snatch them up. Even though the publishers never see a dime of this markup, it encourages retailers to buy more copies to get the "chase" variant and so they end up with more profit in the long run.

I'm more of an exception to the rule. If a variant cover is a significant improvement over the standard cover AND it costs the same as the standard cover, I'll buy it. But otherwise, variant covers should have gone the way of all the other 90's gimmicks that almost killed the entire industry.

I say pick the best cover and run with it. If the guy who did the deviantart Skeletor ends up producing a better cover than Rob Liefield Jr., then make that the standard cover instead.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I say pick the best cover and run with it. If the guy who did the deviantart Skeletor ends up producing a better cover than Rob Liefield Jr., then make that the standard cover instead.
    theres the problem. I am a huge fan of cary nord's style but some people hated it, I could not for the life of me see why. but they did. that said one customer's opinion won't match the publisher and so forth, if the variant cover isn't a stupid gimmick and overdone why not have two to choose from? after you read the comic you may want to display it and you prefer the cover artist to the book artist. getting carried away sucks but having a variant isn't always bad
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I actually like variant covers. I pick the one I like best. Options are good. I like the variant cover best more often, it seems.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Variant covers are fine if you're standing in a shop looking at them thinking, "I like Y cover, but Z cover is funkier". Not so much fun when you have to order online, check "variant covers" thinking there'll be a bunch for issue 1 and then none after that, then get hit with a bill for almost forty quid because one of them's over a tenner by itself! I can buy a bloody graphic novel for that!

I don't mind a couple for the fist issue, but when there are 6 or more for issue 2 that's just taking the Mick (I'm looking at you Voltron!).

If DC are doing this series I'd like a couple of variants for issue 1 and then none after that. Honestly, if they're available for download to an Android device I'd be happy doing that. Note to comic companies: not everyone is a sheep, lots of people don't have an i-whatever! Stop making your comics i-only!

Heroic Warrior
    theres the problem. I am a huge fan of cary nord's style but some people hated it, I could not for the life of me see why. but they did. that said one customer's opinion won't match the publisher and so forth, if the variant cover isn't a stupid gimmick and overdone why not have two to choose from? after you read the comic you may want to display it and you prefer the cover artist to the book artist. getting carried away sucks but having a variant isn't always bad
    I also have a grudge against 'Cover Artists'

I consider it false advertising. The cover is the main advertisment that the consumer has to go on... and I have seen some AMAZINGLY awesome covers... only to get a book with sucky interior art

Quote Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
    Note to comic companies: not everyone is a sheep, lots of people don't have an i-whatever! Stop making your comics i-only!
    Sheep? It cracks me up when people try to get all righteous about not buying an iPad or something. As though it were some deep philosophical choice which tablet device they decide to buy. Same applies to phones. I can't imagine why anyone would care either way. Personally, there's a lot of other things I'd rather be defined by than my choice of electronics.

As for variant covers, they are some of the most innocuous gimmicks that linger from the comics boom. It stinks when a really cool piece of art is virtually unattainable, but sometimes they put the variants in the online file or trade. So it doesn't bother me too much. It looks like we're just getting one variant cover. I'll try for it, but if I don't get it no big whoop.

If someone is obsessed with getting all the variants, that's on their head more than the publisher, surely. Personally, when it comes to He-man stuff if I like the art I'll try to get it. I think I got pretty much every variant cover for the MVC Image #1 because they had some great artists working on it. I got a few of the variants from subsequent issues, but I made a choice that it was too much of a money drain.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm kind of amazed at how many people criticized the He-man pic based on anatomy or perspective, but applaud the skeletor one I think the skull looks weird and misshapen myself. I'd hate for a series to have him look like that all the time.
    These are some of my favourite takes on Skeletor:

skell.JPG

In these two below, it looks like he's got a thin layer of dead skin over his skull, NICE:

skeletor green.JPG

skel.JPG

Look, look, he looks like a skull!