Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

I don't get why he keeps on referencing the old Filmation series. There are so many different versions of MotU, why does he think the Filmation is the definitive one? If he wanted a more sophisticated storyline, why didn't he use the MYP series or the 200X comic as a starting point? In fact, the only mention he does make of 200X are the 4H's action figures.

And yet, the 200X Snake Mountain is present behind the Filmation Skeletor.

I like the Frank Frazzeta mention, but I am not sold on this series. But, I'll do what I always do in the comic store: I'll flip through it to see if I want to really spend my money on it. So far this is looking like a real "meh" to me.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I dig the Skeletor cover.
    Agreed you there, Val.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I don't get why he keeps on referencing the old Filmation series. There are so many different versions of MotU, why does he think the Filmation is the definitive one? If he wanted a more sophisticated storyline, why didn't he use the MYP series or the 200X comic as a starting point? In fact, the only mention he does make of 200X are the 4H's action figures.

And yet, the 200X Snake Mountain is present behind the Filmation Skeletor.

I like the Frank Frazzeta mention, but I am not sold on this series. But, I'll do what I always do in the comic store: I'll flip through it to see if I want to really spend my money on it. So far this is looking like a real "meh" to me.
    I think people might be reading the quote incorrectly, due to it's phrasing. Here it is:

Beast Man should be this scary, feral villain, but like you said, he was played for laughs too. They all were. But that was the nature of the series. If you look at the toy line from Four Horsemen, there was an attempt to make the characters look a bit more sophisticated.

I've taken that as part of my inspiration and am now making what I believe to be a story that is a nice sophistication of those old TV shows, which used the villains primarily for comic relief.
    It's slightly more serious but not without the same sense of wonder, excitement and fun the TV show provided to its fans.
    I believe what he is saying is:

A.) The 4H made the characters more sophisticated (I would be surprised if he's not talking about the MYP series here too, and just using the toyline as the main example of the look/feel of it)

B.) He's taking some of that attempt at making the villains sophisticated and then applying it to the old series. So, unlike the old series, the villains won't be played for laughs. So he's going for the best of both worlds between 200X and vintage, even if the phrasing he uses isn't exactly what we'd say because he's not a hard core fan.

I'm also curious to know if Skeletor knows that Adam is He-Man. I'd be okay with Adam having the title of He-Man, as in he is always He-Man, no secret identity, etc. I think it would give his "transformation" in this comic much more significance. When he finally discovers who he truly is, he holds aloft the Power Sword and "transforms" into He-Man, thereby regaining his and the Masters' lost memories, powers, etc. and going on to defeat Skeletor and eradicate his mind wipe plot. I could then see the final issue of this series showing us the Eternia that we've all known and loved over the years.

So when can we go to our local comic shop & ask for a pre-order for this new MOTU series??? I don't collect comics so I was hoping for anybody that knows to chime in on this. It's been a long time since I've bought a comic...200x comics awhile back so over 10yrs for me. THX THX

Great Skeletor cover! This image of Skeletor seems to be directly modeled after the MOTUC toy. The belt and the staff look identical to the figure. I love that kind of consistency!
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    So when can we go to our local comic shop & ask for a pre-order for this new MOTU series??? I don't collect comics so I was hoping for anybody that knows to chime in on this. It's been a long time since I've bought a comic...200x comics awhile back so over 10yrs for me. THX THX
    The comic was solicited in the most recent issue of the Diamond Previews catalogue. With that information, you should be able to go into your local comic book store now and have them pre-order it for you, unless the local shop has some sort of conditions you need to meet in order to have a pre-order file with them.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Thank you Kevenn. I've got 10 I need to preorder. I have 4 guys interested in the series who want them. Can they preorder the Variant cover or is that going to be Exclusive to a certain co. or what not????

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I dig the Skeletor cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Agreed you there, Val.
    I agree with ya both. Lovin' this! Diggin' this! Totally!
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

As I have made my peace with holding to any canon religiously, I'm a little hokey on the story but I will give it a shot. It's the only way to help support and push for He-Man to be explored into other forms of media. But I also come to realize that I've embraced all forms and tweaks of the canon (minus the NA but I will watch the series and try to) and have never felt it destroys what is the principle to me.... He-Man vs Skeletor! Everything else can be warped by my own mind if I really feel or believe that some of these new ideas are ridiculous, I simply ignore it or try to tweak it. And if some are cool, then so be it; but my point is I love MOTU and as long as I can get these figures I'm am behind it all!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Phil Tan?

Right now I'm listening to "Work (Phil Tan Radio Mix)" by The Saturdays.

I find the fact that Warner Bros. Is the company that approached DC about this project very interesting. I hope that means there is something larger in the future. I would be more than happy with a monthly comic, but a show or heaven forbid a movie would be stellar. But i will take what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think people might be reading the quote incorrectly, due to it's phrasing. Here it is:

I believe what he is saying is:

A.) The 4H made the characters more sophisticated (I would be surprised if he's not talking about the MYP series here too, and just using the toyline as the main example of the look/feel of it)

B.) He's taking some of that attempt at making the villains sophisticated and then applying it to the old series. So, unlike the old series, the villains won't be played for laughs. So he's going for the best of both worlds between 200X and vintage, even if the phrasing he uses isn't exactly what we'd say because he's not a hard core fan.
    Right, I also believe he keeps referencing the filmation toon because like it or not it IS the definitive version of the story. Meaning that it's the most widely remembered mythos, also the most widely parodied. Another thing I get from what he's saying here is "yes I'm going to be taking it more seriously, but don't worry, it will still be Eternia, as much as I'm amping up the characters and the threat, Orko won't be anyone's sex slave." and the like.

What I like about that idea is as mucha s I enjoyed the MYP series, it did lack the sense of wonder that filmation had. they threw out everything filmation did, both good and bad because people were so down about the bad. Even on this board you'll read people not giving filmation any credit if you look past the softness and the cheese, there are elements of great fantasy and storyt3lling in filmation that MYP missed many times.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Thank you Kevenn. I've got 10 I need to preorder. I have 4 guys interested in the series who want them. Can they preorder the Variant cover or is that going to be Exclusive to a certain co. or what not????
    It depends on the shop and how dedicated they are to providing customer service - AND it also depends on the requirements for the variant covers. Some variant covers only come 1 for every 10 or so comics of the regular version, hence the usual mark-up on variant covers. That's something I would ask about when you contact your local comic shop. It's good to specify how many regular covers you want and how many variant covers you want and ask if it's gonig to be do-able, or if there are any conditions or higher pricing for the variant covers.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think these interviews speak volumes on what the outside world thinks of MOTU. When many outsiders think of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, they think of the Filmation cartoon. While it's true that Filmation doesn't encompass all of MOTU, to complete laypeople off the street like Robinson, it does. The first obstacle that he might think of overcoming is Filmation's kiddified penchant for bungling villains, cartoon sidekicks, non-violent action.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I find the fact that Warner Bros. Is the company that approached DC about this project very interesting. I hope that means there is something larger in the future. I would be more than happy with a monthly comic, but a show or heaven forbid a movie would be stellar. But i will take what we get.
    Warner Brothers owns DC comics, so it's kind of like Ford Motor Company approaching Lincoln with the idea for a new car.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    It depends on the shop and how dedicated they are to providing customer service - AND it also depends on the requirements for the variant covers. Some variant covers only come 1 for every 10 or so comics of the regular version, hence the usual mark-up on variant covers. That's something I would ask about when you contact your local comic shop. It's good to specify how many regular covers you want and how many variant covers you want and ask if it's gonig to be do-able, or if there are any conditions or higher pricing for the variant covers.
    I thought I remember reading the variant cover would be 1/25?
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    I thought I remember reading the variant cover would be 1/25?
    You are correct sir. The cover will probably be marked up at least to somewhere between $20 & $30 dollars depending on the store you go to.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Love that new Skeletor variant cover.

Not crazy about the idea of memory wipe type tales, but I'll give it a shot. It's still a new He-Man story.

Also, from the interview, it seems like he responded well to the 200x series and some of its take on the characters.

We'll see. I hope this is good and that I like it.

Filmation is Masters of the Universe. He-Man wouldn't be remembered to day without it, in my opinion. I love the 200x/MYP version of He-Man, I wish classics followed it more closely in some of its design cues, but Filmation is still my definitive take on He-Man.

Always will be. I was born in 1981, the Filmation cartoons are some of the earliest things I can remember.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; May 9, 2012 at 02:04pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think these interviews speak volumes on what the outside world thinks of MOTU. When many outsiders think of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, they think of the Filmation cartoon. While it's true that Filmation doesn't encompass all of MOTU, to complete laypeople off the street like Robinson, it does. The first obstacle that he might think of overcoming is Filmation's kiddified penchant for bungling villains, cartoon sidekicks, non-violent action.
    This.

The real question I have, is why do so many people seem surprised by it?

130 episodes of Filmation He-man + 93 episodes of She-ra to support that vision...

and not counting New Adventures... THAT was the vision of He-man for over 19 years...

vs. 39 episodes of the MYP series?

I know that MYP had fans... and they took their story telling a bit more seriously... but why WOULD the general populace be acknowledging that series over filmation?

It's like getting upset that a new series/movie is based on GI Joe Real american Hero.... and not GI Joe extreme or Sigma 6?!?

YES... they are a part of the history... but between minicomics, Filmation, and MYP.... if they're trying to draw in the most unknown fans and spark the nostalgia bug... there's really only one source to go to.
    Last edited by phantom1592; May 9, 2012 at 06:49pm.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    You are correct sir. The cover will probably be marked up at least to somewhere between $20 & $30 dollars depending on the store you go to.
    Wow I bet you are right my friend. Just Saturday I found some MVC comics with alternate covers and the chase cover was trying to fetch 4 times the amount of the reg cover. Good thing I'm not a comic completist, but that Skeletor cover rocks.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Right, I also believe he keeps referencing the filmation toon because like it or not it IS the definitive version of the story. Meaning that it's the most widely remembered mythos, also the most widely parodied.
    Yep, exactly. Filmation is by far the most well-most known and fondly remembered iteration of the mythos. It also had an impact on subsequent mini-comics, Star Comics, UK Comics, the MYP and MVCreations' series, etc. It makes total sense that Robinson would use it as a point of reference in interviews.

I hope this turns into an ongoing series. I can't wait for this new comic!!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I called my local comic shop to pre-order today. He was very happy to receive my call about it, but told me to call back when it was closer to release date. He was afraid he'd lose my contact info, since this comes out July 4th.

Good news though, he said he was going to order a LOT of these! I'm not from a really big area too. So, hopefully this 6-issue series spans into something larger. I normally don't buy comics (because my "local" shop is a few towns over), but I really would like to see MOTU media again and the MVC comic was fantastic. I'm hopeful.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Court Magician
    I agree with you, Penny, especially in regard to those who are right around my age (29). My older brother had most of the original figures and Grayskull and Snake Mountain...but by the time I was 5 or so and took an interest in the toys and inherited them, the mini-comics were long gone (from toddler abuse), but the Filmation series still played in syndication. It was like this for most of the kids in my neighborhood around my age. I never knew the mini comics existed.

I'm so excited for this summer. The toys of June and the comic starting in July. It'll be a great summer for MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Yep, exactly. Filmation is by far the most well-most known and fondly remembered iteration of the mythos. It also had an impact on subsequent mini-comics, Star Comics, UK Comics, the MYP and MVCreations' series, etc. It makes total sense that Robinson would use it as a point of reference in interviews.

I hope this turns into an ongoing series. I can't wait for this new comic!!
    --Brent

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    Sony Pictures owns the movie rights. WB did once, but they let the rights lapse.