Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1834

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Yet no one has yet been successful in making a more dramatic rendition of He-Man. It isn't that it hasn't been tried, it's because the entertainment world at large still has a hard time looking past the image of the cartoon.

Even now, with the new DC comic series, some fans still seem to be having trouble accepting this new He-Man who lives in a Conan the Barbarian-esque world that is being portrayed in the new comic. I honestly think it is the right step to take He-Man and I honestly DO hope it works just as much as when Batman was finally liberated of the 60's goofball portrayal.
    for the general public it took a major blockbuster movie to do that for Batman, for He-Man, it will be a bit harder without the movie as for the fans Batman was a comic first, so changing the tone there was easier to get a foothold, with MOTU so many people hang so much on filmation (which I love for the record) they are unwilling to accept a darker vibe. Personally I'm torn, I'm not big on heroes who kill, but these characters carry SERIOUS weapons. Batman can be batman because his weapons aren't designed to kill. a He-man who kills might be really hard to accept. Someone wrote a fanfic where he-man DID kill but in the story he lamented when he did. he said he does his best not to and when he takes a life it pains him. the writer did a great job there I think. but it's still unsettling IMO seeing he-man kill.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    for the general public it took a major blockbuster movie to do that for Batman, for He-Man, it will be a bit harder without the movie as for the fans Batman was a comic first, so changing the tone there was easier to get a foothold, with MOTU so many people hang so much on filmation (which I love for the record) they are unwilling to accept a darker vibe. Personally I'm torn, I'm not big on heroes who kill, but these characters carry SERIOUS weapons. Batman can be batman because his weapons aren't designed to kill. a He-man who kills might be really hard to accept. Someone wrote a fanfic where he-man DID kill but in the story he lamented when he did. he said he does his best not to and when he takes a life it pains him. the writer did a great job there I think. but it's still unsettling IMO seeing he-man kill.
    I think the MOTU characters carry those weapons for a reason. I DO think you can have bloody and violent battles without established character death. The heroes usually escape from the villains before they are killed and the villians aren't getting killed by the heroes who prefer to see justice done. The MYP series, particularly the MVC comic did a good job of showing the violence level that I'd prefer for a movie.

Army builders would get killed off all the time, but established characters are too mighty to get killed off so easily. An established character should be extremely hard to kill though (which is why they are established). The main villain gets "killed" at the end of the picture, but always escapes death.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    established characters are too mighty to get killed off so easily. An established character should be extremely hard to kill though (which is why they are established).
    I tend to agree, but even the demi-gods of myth (e.g. Hercules) eventually get killed. Even He-Man shouldn't be invincible.

The 80s movie showed us Saurod being killed (& Skeletor, if you didn't watch the end credits). I wouldn't mind the odd "established character" death in a movie if done correctly.

Even the bios killed off characters (& I personally think the death of the Sorceress was fine for the purposes of plot - how else does Teela inherit the role?)
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I tend to agree, but even the demi-gods of myth (e.g. Hercules) eventually get killed. Even He-Man shouldn't be invincible.
    I agree. It should be difficult to kill established characters and definitely not X3 easy, where characters were getting killed by the Phoenix left and right or you kill off characters like Professor X and Cyclops for shock value.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Any word on when the next Digital First issue is coming out? Will it be this Saturday?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I agree. It should be difficult to kill established characters and definitely not X3 easy, where characters were getting killed by the Phoenix left and right or you kill off characters like Professor X and Cyclops for shock value.
    I'm not a big X-Men fan, so I didn't mind the killing of Cyclops - it illustrated that you couldn't be sure if the characters would all survive, regardless of their perceived importance.

But still, the element of that kind of surprise still feel quite short of your typical zombie movie
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Any word on when the next Digital First issue is coming out? Will it be this Saturday?
    Yep, there is a new digital first scheduled for this Saturday according to Comixology. I don't know who will be featured in it yet.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I'm not a big X-Men fan, so I didn't mind the killing of Cyclops - it illustrated that you couldn't be sure if the characters would all survive, regardless of their perceived importance.

I didn't mind the death either. Cyclops was a tool in all three movies, about as unlikeable as Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Actually, I don't like Deadpool in any media. He comes across to me like a cheap imitation of Spider-Man who uses deadly weapons.

I agree that a movie, done the right way, could possibly liberate He-Man of his overly roto-scoped animation cornball days, but I honestly don't see a good movie ever coming. The script re-writes, the changing of hands with studios, the leaked concept art that sucks, all foretell that a MOTU movie made now would be a complete suck fest.

The comic is the best try that I can see at making He-Man and MOTU a more adult geared property FINALLY. And it is REFRESHING to see the violence level go up. It makes a world that has supposedly been ravaged by numerous ancient wars and demi-gods a bit more believable when characters fight for their lives amidst chaotic villians.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

*sigh* It's not up yet.

Open open open.

I think they go up about 10ish.
    Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

It's up now on the DC app. Evil-Lyn issue.

That issue was a bit.............odd. I take it the black and white was supposed to make the story a bit film noirish. I still like the new direction the MOTU comic series seems to be taking and certainly INTERESTED in the more adult subject matter in this issue, but the story went here and there. Not terrible but not too incredible either. The black and white with occasional splashes of color was a bit too 'Sin City' for my tastes. And the Eternians having 'English' text on that holomonitor was a teeny bit outlandish.

Yeah, the people of Eternia(humans, trollans, gar, beast people, tigers, fish) all speak a version of the dialect, but considering Eternia is supposed to be an alien planet, I'd think all of the written texts and languages would be far different from what is on planet Earth.

Just a minor nitpick that isn't too much of a blemish. But, like I said, this Evil Lyn issue wasn't terrible or incredible. It seemed more like an experiment in writing styles from the writer to see if they could mingle with MOTU.
    Last edited by Hordak Alpha; September 2, 2012 at 02:59am.
    (Hordak Alpha))

I think these writers can do the stories very well, but what is needed is some in-depth look on how Eternian society works. I always viewed Eternia very advanced in technology but with very medieval ideals and culture. There would not be a news network, but some sort of strange hologram with a town crier in it at the middle of the street (something like what Skeletor uses in MOTU movie). There has previously been words like "good china" too, so I would hope there was one person as an overall editor to catch up these sort of stuff.

Heroic Warrior
    As I said in the Evil-Lyn thread, I finally signed up and d/l the comics. Love them all so far, as they give us a neat insight into each character. I even liked the SLL comic! Love the idea of the laser-mace and that he's haunted by his failure to protect Grayskull. Can't wait until the next issue! How often do they come out again? Once a week?

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    As I said in the Evil-Lyn thread, I finally signed up and d/l the comics. Love them all so far, as they give us a neat insight into each character. I even liked the SLL comic! Love the idea of the laser-mace and that he's haunted by his failure to protect Grayskull. Can't wait until the next issue! How often do they come out again? Once a week?
    Usually, every two weeks. This last one was three weeks.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    How many of these issues are they making in total?

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I think these writers can do the stories very well, but what is needed is some in-depth look on how Eternian society works. I always viewed Eternia very advanced in technology but with very medieval ideals and culture. There would not be a news network, but some sort of strange hologram with a town crier in it at the middle of the street (something like what Skeletor uses in MOTU movie). There has previously been words like "good china" too, so I would hope there was one person as an overall editor to catch up these sort of stuff.
    I agree. I just doesn't look as though they've decided what Eternia is. There’s no proper direction or aesthetic. Instead, its just a (messy) mix-match that doesn’t blend together to create anything. It’s almost as if they haven’t thought it through. I was quite dissapointed in this issue for that very reason. It looks as though the story could have taken place anywhere on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Exactly right. These new comics are missing the point.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    How many of these issues are they making in total?
    *crickets chirping*

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    *crickets chirping*

I don't think it’s been confirmed anywhere. Basically, no one knows.

Heroic Warrior
    Does anyone know if He-man and the Masters of the Universe issue #2 next week will have a variant cover? Thanks.

When is the release date for the 2nd issue of the DC comic?

It's supposed to be Sept. 12. Of course, for all we know they'll delay it even further. DC should go ahead and keep doing that if they want to kill the comic before it can build a fanbase.

For now, He-Man and the MOTU is supposed to be:

#2 on Sept. 12

#3 on Oct 17.

A one shot featuring Skeletor's origin (groan, not like we haven't already seen it before) on Oct 31.

Bear in mind all of those release dates can change at anytime should DC feel like it. I know they don't care about the readers, otherwise they wouldn't have destroyed the mainstream universe with the 'new 52' crap.
    (Hordak Alpha))

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    If they delay the comic again, I'm just going to drop it from my list and wait until the paperback comes out.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    If they delay the comic again, I'm just going to drop it from my list and wait until the paperback comes out.
    That strategy backfired on me with what should have been volume three of the MVC comics.