Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    I guess I'm the only one with enough guts to tell the truth-

1. He-Man looks like a bad cosplayer took some crappy Photoshop pictures using a green screen for Grayskull.

2. The anatomy is COMPLETELY all over the place from decent to horrible.

3. The cross hatch technique is done incorrectly like they had a high school comic creator do it who's never learned the proper technique.

4. The colors are dull and muted- the effects are a BIT more impressive but still nothing special.

5. Grayskull's perspective is totally incorrect.

6. The fact that they totally (figuratively speaking) spit in Val and Emiliano's face simultaneously and continue to do so is complete and utter ********.

7. Finally, Tan is nothing to write home about and Robinson is the definition of mediocre.

I wonder if Mattel even stopped to think whether having a comic running that has a completely different canon than the toy line you are running at the same time could possibly lead to confusion for the brand? The one totally positive thing about this is it will be another area of market visibility and Mattel will have no excuse now not to increase the budget for the line unless they want to look like total asses to the fan base. Also before anyone asks- yes I mad, I find it extremely disrespectful that they totally screw E and V over time and time again when they were nothing but professional and could have used this project as an olive branch. I'm assuming Mattel and DC are more content with their mutual admiration and would rather not have amazing inks and color by Emil and Val but whatever.

Seriously, dude...

Sometimes I feel like we're sharing a freaking brain.

Great post.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I wonder if Mattel even stopped to think whether having a comic running that has a completely different canon than the toy line you are running at the same time could possibly lead to confusion for the brand?
    i certainly don't recall the filmation cartoon having a negative affect on he-man toys (which as we know didn't look exactly like the characters in the toon) from the 80s.

star wars seems to have umpteenth different cannons and figures from toons, comics, and movies. same for joes.

Yeah I was admittedly a bit hasty in that rant and I will totally give it a chance- I'd buy it even if they end up sucking just to show Mattel the property is viable so yeah..
    This is my attitude.

I hate to be one of the "Well, I'm buying it because a crap sandwich is better than starving to death" crowd, but that's really where we are, isn't it?

I HOPE it will be better than the writer's most recent attempts at storytelling, and I will buy them to show DC/Matty that I comic is viable.

But I will ALWAYS be bitter that Val and Emiliano are forevermore being snubbed when they fart better MOTU stories than most of these DC clowns could ever craft.
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Well this is more like it. Finally some news to mark some kinda "celebration" of the 30th year at least.

Obligatory niggles first: Don't like the art style. It's okay for some franchises, not what MOTU needs imo, but then we've only seen early previews thus far. I always get very worried when soundbites (or is that textbytes?" such as "Let's just say I've come up with a series concept that introduces the line of characters to new readers in what I hope is a fresh, dynamic and compelling way while honoring what the series has been prior." are used. ...If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Then again, reading the plot concept, of memories being wiped... that has great potential. It kinda reminds me of the opening episode, "Rebirth", of the 'Futurama' revival in a way - a continuation, yet reintroducing the characters.

I really don't think things need to go totally "new generation" and "ultra modern" (i'm not even gonna utter 200x) ... in my view, all we need is a more epic, slightly more detailed continuation of th classic vintage second wave mini-comics in my opinion. Yes toughen then up, yes scope them out, but keep the design style, keep the boldness, keep the barbarian vibes!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I'd just like to see them at least buff He-Man up a bit as they seem to want to go the barbarian route- unless he's some new Vegan barbarian?
    Like Conan's producers did when they cast Jason Momomomomomomomomomomomomomomomo?!?

CAN'T WAIT!!

I'd say Emiliano will be pleased, after hearing what he said he wanted for the franchise in his TGR podcast interview (which was fresh takes and reboots similar to TF).
    But it is a shame Emil and Val weren't involved after all they've done for the brand.

Well 6 pages in so I am sure some are happy and some are upset. I am really looking forward to this mini-series and I hope it leads to more MOTU/POP minis.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

lol

I think it's great they are giving us a new comic!

I don't know about rushing to any judgement when we've seen one pic...

It always amazes me that people slam something without really knowing anything about it...then turn around and say "but I'll buy it".

Anyhow...

I'm gonna give it a chance...if I don't like I'll not continue to buy them. Instead of eatting a **** sandwhich...try a different resturant?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    lol

I think it's great they are giving us a new comic!

I don't know about rushing to any judgement when we've seen one pic...

It always amazes me that people slam something without really knowing anything about it...then turn around and say "but I'll buy it".

Anyhow...

I'm gonna give it a chance...if I don't like I'll not continue to buy them. Instead of eatting a **** sandwhich...try a different resturant?
    If you'd read the crap that he's put out recently, you'd get it.

We're buying to support the brand.

For now, it's the only restaurant in town serving MOTU, so your metaphor doesn't hold.

What's so difficult about that to grasp?

What MOTU needs right now is brand recognition.

Outside of small secluded collector communities like the org, people remember He-man and maybe Skeletor "from that corny cartoon" they watched as kids. And that's if you're lucky!

MOTUC isn't helping the brand with recognition since you don't know it exists unless you are already a collector.

Thus, any kind of media exposure is going to be good. Hell, even if this series is crap and bombs it's more than MOTU has had since the conclusion of the 2002 series, and a step in the right direction.

Hopefully it will be a whole new look or something....maybe gather enough steam to try to make a new TV debut or something.
    Then we'll have another whole new Comic vs TV debate that has nothing to do with Filmation.

Comics suck....no the Cartoon sucks!!!!....eh eh eh...uh uh uh....oh the happy days!!!!
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

If they announce a new cartoon, I'm going tear it down right away.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It's weird to see the (rather annoyingly dismissive) attitude that MTV Geek seems to have about He-man. I guess I didn't realize people thought He-man was that cheesy.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Normally that wouldn't have been approached like that but Alex probably isn't an MOTU fan. I happen to be out of the office these past few days on a work trip or it would have been handled a little differently (I manage MTV Geek). But if you're familiar with the regular coverage of MOTU on the site you'll see that this was an aberration.

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

Outside of small secluded collector communities like the org, people remember He-man and maybe Skeletor "from that corny cartoon" they watched as kids. And that's if you're lucky!

MOTUC isn't helping the brand with recognition since you don't know it exists unless you are already a collector.

Thus, any kind of media exposure is going to be good. Hell, even if this series is crap and bombs it's more than MOTU has had since the conclusion of the 2002 series, and a step in the right direction.
    Fantastic post. My thoughts exactly.

Also, to some saying that having a comic with a completely different continuity to the toy line will somehow cause confusion. First of all, I'm going to say Filmation. And second of all, no one knows the Classics line exists apart from MOTU fans (but mostly just diehards) and toy collectors. It doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    yup. same for a movie.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I hate to be one of the "Well, I'm buying it because a crap sandwich is better than starving to death" crowd, but that's really where we are, isn't it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just hope sales will be strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

Agreed.

blah blah blah 10 character blah blah.
    Last edited by midor; April 6, 2012 at 10:33pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    yup. same for a movie.
    I 2nd & 3rd this!!

BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the movie (it will come) will herald the end of the world. Especially when the fandom finds out that He-Man will be wearing armour throughout. Okay, I don't know that, I'm not some sort of "insider" or anything like that, but I genuinely think they will go down this route for a live-action film.

I am not too excited about the new interpretation with the rewritten history - but I give them the benefit of the doubt. I like the teaser art and am looking forward to hearing more about this new comic.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with them bringing in fresh talent in to take a shot at MOTU. Let's wait until the thing comes out before we start brandishing the torches, eh? There's nothing wrong with being loyal to Val and Emiliano, but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous. EVERY property ends up going through changes over the years... this is nothing new. No doubt Val and Emiliano would have produced a great new comic, but I'm also into what I've glimpsed from this news article and as a fan who wants something new I'm quite thrilled to give this new series a chance
    I love Emiliano's art & loved the Easter eggs Val would spread from past MOTU eras in their comics, but they are not the only people to have ever worked on a MOTU comic. What makes it odder is that not only were they not the first team to work on the franchise with a comic, they're not even the most recent. I guess Mattel has it in for Dark Horse Comics, Tim Seeley, Wellinton Alves & Eric Powell too. Let's also not forget Paul Kupperberg, Mark Texeira, J. Scott Campbell, Robert Kirkman...
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 6, 2012 at 11:21pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    You'd better! Otherwise you aren't telling the truth and just a sheep following the crowd and will accept anything that comes your way. Because we all know you couldn't be genuinely excited about something and willing to give it a chance.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    You know, the MOTUC bios could be still used here. Who is to say that this isn't an adventure during that same MOTUC timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I love Emiliano's art & loved the Easter eggs Val would spread from past MOTU eras in their comics, but they are not the only people to have ever worked on a MOTU comic. What makes it odder is that not only were they not the first team to work on the franchise with a comic, they're not even the most recent. I guess Mattel has it in for Dark Horse Comics, Tim Seeley, Wellinton Alves & Eric Powell too. Let's also not forget Paul Kupperberg, Mark Texeira, J. Scott Campbell, Robert Kirkman...
    They are all too busy/too expensive or remind Mattel of 200X!

When Mattel sees the name J. Scott Campbell, they see 200X.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the easter eggs and homages throughout the MVC comics. It was a great sign that the comic was in good hands. That bit about "If you can't bring water to the fire, then you can bring the fire to the water" was such a great nod.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I guess I'm the only one with enough guts to tell the truth-

1. He-Man looks like a bad cosplayer took some crappy Photoshop pictures using a green screen for Grayskull.

2. The anatomy is COMPLETELY all over the place from decent to horrible.

3. The cross hatch technique is done incorrectly like they had a high school comic creator do it who's never learned the proper technique.

4. The colors are dull and muted- the effects are a BIT more impressive but still nothing special.

5. Grayskull's perspective is totally incorrect.

6. The fact that they totally (figuratively speaking) spit in Val and Emiliano's face simultaneously and continue to do so is complete and utter ********.

7. Finally, Tan is nothing to write home about and Robinson is the definition of mediocre.

I wonder if Mattel even stopped to think whether having a comic running that has a completely different canon than the toy line you are running at the same time could possibly lead to confusion for the brand? The one totally positive thing about this is it will be another area of market visibility and Mattel will have no excuse now not to increase the budget for the line unless they want to look like total asses to the fan base. Also before anyone asks- yes I mad, I find it extremely disrespectful that they totally screw E and V over time and time again when they were nothing but professional and could have used this project as an olive branch. I'm assuming Mattel and DC are more content with their mutual admiration and would rather not have amazing inks and color by Emil and Val but whatever.
    this is one of the most overwhelmingly negative messages that I have ever read.

disagree in each of the points.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Well it' about time... FINALLY some new media!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I look forward to seeing how this will turn out! It's great that we'll have comics again. Wish it was an ongoing series instead of just 6 issues, and of course I have my preferences for which creators I'd like to see doing a comic book BUT I'm still excited for this! I hope it's good!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com