Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I love Emiliano's art & loved the Easter eggs Val would spread from past MOTU eras in their comics, but they are not the only people to have ever worked on a MOTU comic. What makes it odder is that not only were they not the first team to work on the franchise with a comic, they're not even the most recent. I guess Mattel has it in for Dark Horse Comics, Tim Seeley, Wellinton Alves & Eric Powell too. Let's also not forget Paul Kupperberg, Mark Texeira, J. Scott Campbell, Robert Kirkman...
    This was my first thought too.

It's been 10 years since their comic came out... I can understand disappointment, but I can't comprehend the rage involved in not bringing them back...

I'm more curious what happened with Dark Horse? Why did they get the contract for 3 mini comics.. but get passed over for the full comic??

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    this is one of the most overwhelmingly negative messages that I have ever read.

disagree in each of the points.
    That's wonderful and you're totally allowed to have that opinion- try reading the other posts where I point out that I WILL SUPPORT IT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT I LIKE IT. Also since when is a critique negative?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Things that blow my mind

1. The art looks classic, not some new He-Man for a new audience. That's how He-Man is meant to look.

2. Has nothing to do with Scott's MOTUC cannon.

3. It's by DC and coming out relatively soon.

4. They had the faith and budget for this. What else are they working on we don't know about?
    Animated feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    No. That was Len Wein the creator of Swamp Thing.
    Oh THANK GOD! I just did a little research and see that he wrote "Cry For Justice" which I did enjoy, so I'm feeling much more excited about this now!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

This is awesome news. I can't wait for this comic.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Yes, good news... But will they turn this new comic series into an abortion by incorperating The Mighty Spector??
    Please God no. I hope we never see Spector outside Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Shoot, it'd be cool if they made this part of MOTUC canon. It could fit, actually.
    I could not disagree more. Some of the MOTUC elements can be used, but I hope to never have to re-live MOTUC canon once the line finishes.

One of my greatest fears is that we will be stuck with Classics canon forever. I thought it was bad enough that we were stuck with Gwildor as a MOTU character, but he is more than welcome in comparison.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    This makes me very happy. Any new storytelling in MOTU makes me happy, no matter what.

But too bad Tim Seeley couldn't have written it. He's the best!

I also second the Tim Seeley nod- he's proven he understands the mythos and it's characters very well.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This was my first thought too.

It's been 10 years since their comic came out... I can understand disappointment, but I can't comprehend the rage involved in not bringing them back...

I'm more curious what happened with Dark Horse? Why did they get the contract for 3 mini comics.. but get passed over for the full comic??
    The reason myself and others are upset about MV Creations not being involved is partially due to what a caring and amazing job they did on the comic, but also because it is due to THEIR tireless efforts that this brand has had a fire blazing for fans to gather around, even (particularly) when Mattel wasn't producing anything MOTU related. I think it could be argued that without this site and everything they put into it, the 2002 relaunch wouldn't have happened, and if it did happen, it would have JUST been for kids. There wouldn't have been a 2001 SDCC Exclusive Statue to get things started off right, or probably even a presentation/announcement there; the reason this brand has had an adult collector audience all along is because of THIS site, period, and we'd like to see Mattel grow up and practice what He-Man preaches and mend whatever needs to be mended and let the two biggest fans MOTU has work on the brand they are so dedicated to.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Great news! Finally, new media for MOTU means that the franchise is expanding even more. I'm all for this mini-series and hope it succeeds to become a regular ongoing comic. Equally glad that it will not use the MOTUC bio storyline. I haven't read any DC titles in a long time or know of Robinson's track record but it seems like this will be a very interesting story as it starts off fresh, unlike an ongoing title like JLA that just continues forward after the previous writer parts.

New movie (live action* or animated) perhaps? Definitely looking forward to this happening!!

*(Just don't contact Michael Bay for it!!)
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    The reason myself and others are upset about MV Creations not being involved is partially due to what a caring and amazing job they did on the comic, but also because it is due to THEIR tireless efforts that this brand has had a fire blazing for fans to gather around, even (particularly) when Mattel wasn't producing anything MOTU related. I think it could be argued that without this site and everything they put into it, the 2002 relaunch wouldn't have happened, and if it did happen, it would have JUST been for kids. There wouldn't have been a 2001 SDCC Exclusive Statue to get things started off right, or probably even a presentation/announcement there; the reason this brand has had an adult collector audience all along is because of THIS site, period, and we'd like to see Mattel grow up and practice what He-Man preaches and mend whatever needs to be mended and let the two biggest fans MOTU has work on the brand they are so dedicated to.

None of which is disputed.

But I don't see it having any bearing on this situation. Creative teams come and go on comics all the time. There are LOTS of my favorite writers that I wish would come back to my favorite books... but it doesn't happen.

I get disappointed, yes... but I don't light torches and pitchforks.

Not getting a slot for the 30th anniversary line... THAT was pretty stupid. Mattel giving the Contract to arguably the biggest Comic company around instead of going back to a smaller one who had the license 10 years ago?

That's just good business sense. :-/

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Great! I just hope the new approach dosn't conflict to much with what we already have.
    such as 200x myp & mvc, motuc.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I didn't like the snarky tone of the person who did the interview, but I was really impressed with how James Robinson responded to the questions. I am very much looking forward to this comic series.

Yes! Yes! Yeeess! Great news.

At this point I don't really care if it's good or not, I'll buy every issue of the series in any case. I'll try to keep my expectations low and hopefully I'll be positively surprised. I didn't like the 200X-cartoon, but I'm still happy those stories exist. In my eyes having new MOTU-stories is just awesome, no matter how I personally like them. I biggest hope is that they are generally liked and that the series continues to go on for years to come!

So excited am I.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

For those still being negative (I do see a lot of people who say they will support it regardless); think of it this way:

If you support this MOTU comic by creators you don't like the chances are ever so much higher that there will be more MOTU comics. Or other media. And that means you might get stuff by people you DO like.

If you DON'T support this, then you're telling Mattel that you'd rather see no MOTU at all on the shelves if you can't get (favorite MOTU version goes here).

I don't normally encourage people to buy crap, but that's just the situation we're in.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Wow, really nice to wake up this morning, check the boards and read this news! I am not a comic expert and their writers, so I won't pass judgment on that topic. I agree with some that some aspects or storylines from other continuities (200X, MotUC...) could be used, but on the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever with a new story. This will fresh things up, without introducing too much new and possibly confusing/conflicting elements. Whether I will like the story as such... I'll just wait and see. For now, just a bit on the fence about the teaser we got (changing time and reality) but I'm definitely not judging yet. I'll buy and read them and then form a judgment. One thing is for sure: I hope it's any good, so that we might get even more mini comics!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

We don't need variant covers just a brand new series with a great story one thing though this same story idea was used to relaunch the Avengers after Heroes Reborn. But I'm hoping it's done in a way it's not the same old.

Wow! This is great news! I'm glad we're finally getting a comic book for Masters (even if it isn't ongoing). Hopefully this six part series is good enough to span an ongoing, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Props to you for bringing us this news, ccfenimore25.

Other than with MOTU/POP/NA/2002, I'm not really a comic book guy, so I have absolutely no idea who any of the folks are that are working on this 6-issue series. That said, I am super excited about this revelation and will show my support for these comics. *sigh* I do wish something like this would happen for She-Ra/PoP, though. That comic series is long overdue.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    WOW great news! I'm happy that its with DC (as I prefer DC comics to Marvel)

The direction sounds "interesting" not sure what to make of it yet - I do like the direction the Bios are going - but maybe this new take could happen in that timeline?

I'm just happy we're getting new MOTU stuff.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Obviously I wish they had gone back to Val & Emiliano, but that being said:
    Maybe Val and Emiliano CAN work on the book eventually. DC isn't Mattel and they ARE BOTH comic book professionals. Val colors Suicide Squad in the new 52!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

FINNALLY!!!

AS Man-at-arms would say BY THE SORCERESS!!!
    cant wait
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Woot!!

The premises seem good to me too!
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

I sort of like the art (as much as everyone pointed out the Castle's design) yet I am also slightly baffled on the transformation: where it starts of with lightning and leads into something like fire? This makes me wonder what style guides they are using (since there already 30th anniversary designs done) or did they allow for some freedoms to take place... (for more possible figure variants?)

As far as the Emiliano / Val controversy: I am sadly disappointed yet hopeful that with the overall results of what this comic will produce in the terms of feedback, continuous or additional 'minis'; let's not try to close that door on that by burning the book before it even hits print and encourage everyone to pick it up and give it a try!

Variants, can be cool and can also KILL a book; the content has to be better cause you don't want this book to have 10 variants; a well cooked meal will always look good but there's nothing better than taking that first bite!

In Uncanny X-Men: we had Chris Claremont and Dave Crockcum, then Byrne then Romita Jr. and then Lee... And there were plenty of times each person came back in one way or another, so as i said earlier I'm hopeful for Val and Emiliano to return in some shape or form, and most importantly it will be on their terms!
    Last edited by Nemisythe; April 7, 2012 at 08:11pm.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Court Magician
    I really hold V & E in high regard, and am saddened by their absence in this newest comic, though, I'm willing to embrace any new venture or story with open arms. I really do like the artwork. It definitely has something very comic-book-super-hero about it, especially with He-Man's eyes lighting up [something 200X touched upon with the Sorceress(I never did see all of the comics)].

I have noticed quite a few comments to the effect of "This had better not suck, but I fear it might"...

I was born in 1983, and for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of the mini comics. I do, though, remember several Golden Books and a few coloring books which had story lines parallel to those of the mini comics, and we (my brother was born in '81 and owned the majority of our MotU figures) quickly dismissed their version of the story (the split s mmhbuword, the sword opening gray skull, the absence of a sorceress, Teela's shake-armor as simply an expansion of the box-art, instead choosing to favor the Filmation cartoon which we recorded and played on a loop whenever we played with the toys.
    Those were the days when anything was possible...when the internet as we know it wasn't around, and you could hear the story about the kid who saw an episode of Masters of the Universe where Skeletor took off his hood and find it plausible. not only find it plausible, but also be excited.

My point is this: I really like MotU and, now, I also really like the mini comics...but I won't even attempt to deny that they're...not of the utmost quality. They seem like they were written and drawn in diametric corners of Russia during a five-year-long black-out. They're repetitive, contradictory, ambiguous, and characters change skin and hair color with the frequency I take out the trash. This will definitely be better.
    --Brent

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Hmm, interesting news. Intrigued to see where this goes.

Not so much a fan of the promo image, but I'll give it a chance.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I came in early on this thread before bed last night, and have woken up to be rather amazed at the sheer rage that Val and Emiliano not being involved in this new project. Sure, everyone has their own prefered idea of any new media, but I am actually totally staggered at the sheer anger on this subject.

Don't get me wrong, I love V & E for what they did (and I hope continue to do in whatever form) for the franchise, but just because they're not in on this one isn't the be all and end all for me. Although I'm not happy with the art style previewed (see below), personally I think it's surely a good thing that new life and new blood is being brought into the franchise to hopefully rejuvinate it a bit. With the greatest of respect for Val and Emiliano's work, I think if they were brought in, it would just appear as another 200x-style project (be that the true case or not); I think the franchise will really benefit from a new take, some fresh blood.
    I think we should try to look on this as "the possible dawn of a new era / phase", instead of sulking that - as many seem upset about - we're not back to 200x-era comics. As a poster many pages back (sorry whoever you are, it's a lot to wade back through), the Tim Burton 'Batman' films are great, but then, if they had continued, we wouldn't have the Christopher Nolan films.
    Kinda the same with MOTU ... just as back in 2002 many (and I confess myself) were hard to let go of some of the vintage elements, I do feel now that many are clutching onto 200x and wanting everything to be exactly like that - when the franchise would really benefit from another fresh take.

All that said, I really don't like the art style at all. I'd really want to see something in the vein of the vintage epic box art, with the boldness and style of the early mini-comics. I'm actually not overly happy with this new comic on several fronts (main being the artwork), but in a year where we're marking the 30th Anniversary, and many of us have been moaning there have been few if any real events as of yet, surely the release of a new comic book series is a thing to celebrate? At least lets not totally trash it until we see the end result.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...