Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Hybrid View

Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

So I found this article via twitter on MTV Geek...its about a new Masters of the Universe comic series starting in June..here is the link to the article.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/04/06/...=share_twitter

FINALLY!

I figured this was coming. Just had a feeling it had to happen eventually. Pretty exciting a company like DC is doing it, exposure wise. I'm really intrigued by the basic premise of the series too. Man I hope it's good. The art looked pretty cool in the article.

It's weird to see the (rather annoyingly dismissive) attitude that MTV Geek seems to have about He-man. I guess I didn't realize people thought He-man was that cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It's weird to see the (rather annoyingly dismissive) attitude that MTV Geek seems to have about He-man. I guess I didn't realize people thought He-man was that cheesy.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Normally that wouldn't have been approached like that but Alex probably isn't an MOTU fan. I happen to be out of the office these past few days on a work trip or it would have been handled a little differently (I manage MTV Geek). But if you're familiar with the regular coverage of MOTU on the site you'll see that this was an aberration.

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Quote Originally Posted by wilee4 View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Normally that wouldn't have been approached like that but Alex probably isn't an MOTU fan. I happen to be out of the office these past few days on a work trip or it would have been handled a little differently (I manage MTV Geek). But if you're familiar with the regular coverage of MOTU on the site you'll see that this was an aberration.
    That's cool. Would you guys be likely to see any previews of the comic when it's nearer release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    That's cool. Would you guys be likely to see any previews of the comic when it's nearer release?
    We have to work that out with DC but I feel safe going out on a limb and will say 'yes' Or at least, I'll be surprised if we don't, we've had a lot of exclusives from DC and tons of previews, and do more MOTU coverage than any other comic site.

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Heroic Warrior
    Quoted for truth- MTV Geek in the past has done extremely positive things for the brands featuring Val and Emil and several customizers as well as keeping the MOTU name out there all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I love Emiliano's art & loved the Easter eggs Val would spread from past MOTU eras in their comics, but they are not the only people to have ever worked on a MOTU comic. What makes it odder is that not only were they not the first team to work on the franchise with a comic, they're not even the most recent. I guess Mattel has it in for Dark Horse Comics, Tim Seeley, Wellinton Alves & Eric Powell too. Let's also not forget Paul Kupperberg, Mark Texeira, J. Scott Campbell, Robert Kirkman...
    Wellington screwed that up for himself when he sold work ahead of time that shouldn't have leaked- whether or not I own several of said pieces is irrelevant
    Last edited by vertigoink; April 7, 2012 at 04:10am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Great news! Finally, new media for MOTU means that the franchise is expanding even more. I'm all for this mini-series and hope it succeeds to become a regular ongoing comic. Equally glad that it will not use the MOTUC bio storyline. I haven't read any DC titles in a long time or know of Robinson's track record but it seems like this will be a very interesting story as it starts off fresh, unlike an ongoing title like JLA that just continues forward after the previous writer parts.

New movie (live action* or animated) perhaps? Definitely looking forward to this happening!!

*(Just don't contact Michael Bay for it!!)
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

We don't need variant covers just a brand new series with a great story one thing though this same story idea was used to relaunch the Avengers after Heroes Reborn. But I'm hoping it's done in a way it's not the same old.

Wow! This is great news! I'm glad we're finally getting a comic book for Masters (even if it isn't ongoing). Hopefully this six part series is good enough to span an ongoing, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    WOW great news! I'm happy that its with DC (as I prefer DC comics to Marvel)

The direction sounds "interesting" not sure what to make of it yet - I do like the direction the Bios are going - but maybe this new take could happen in that timeline?

I'm just happy we're getting new MOTU stuff.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Props to you for bringing us this news, ccfenimore25.

Other than with MOTU/POP/NA/2002, I'm not really a comic book guy, so I have absolutely no idea who any of the folks are that are working on this 6-issue series. That said, I am super excited about this revelation and will show my support for these comics. *sigh* I do wish something like this would happen for She-Ra/PoP, though. That comic series is long overdue.

Once again folks, I humbly request we don't turn the support of what MVCreations did into a negative. This is a new go at it. Let's give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Take a look at all the different Transformers comics, for example. Lots of different takes on the property, lots of different writers and artists over the years, multiple publishers, etc. Sure, some of it is better than the rest, but that can be said for any cartoon, comic, movie, etc.

We're getting a new MOTU comic, so that's something to be celebrated and I suggest reserving any criticisms about the book until we actually get it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. What wilee4 and the crew there does is almost always positive, respectful and very well done. This was just one rare instance that's not indicative of MTV Geek and their love for MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    ...because they are trying to maintain total control over the brand, and letting anyone get too much creative input on that brand would dilute Mattel's control.
    Considering I have no control over the brand, nor have I ever, I'd say that theory is bunk. Only Mattel and Classic Media have control over the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by red laser View Post
    We don't need variant covers just a brand new series with a great story one thing though this same story idea was used to relaunch the Avengers after Heroes Reborn. But I'm hoping it's done in a way it's not the same old.
    I'm all for variants. People don't need to buy them if they don't want to, and it gives different artists a shot at doing their rendition of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many copies do you folks think each of these issues needs to sell in order to continue on after the last one? What are decent sales these days for a 6-issue series in this vein?
    That's a tough call. I'm sure if they get digital rights as well, then that will help. But, comic sales are pretty low these days. Licensed comics makes it even harder because a royalty has to be paid which cuts into the bottom line.

DC's budget for books doesn't necessarily operate around each title, but more for their publishing as a whole. Similar to Marvel. Still, each title usually does need to perform well to keep going in its current incarnation.

For some sort of benchmark, I'd look at the recent cancellations of the new "Men of War," "Mister Terrific," "O.M.A.C.," "Hawk and Dove," "Blackhawks" and "Static Shock." Sales estimates put those titles around 14,000 or less.

So, IMO, if the new 6 issue mini performs under that in sales estimates, I wouldn't predicate anything beyond those 6. but if it does better over the course of the series, that could be a positive turn for more.

Since some folks are suggesting this is an 'Elseworlds' type of storyline (first time I'm hearing that term btw..sad, I know.), I think it would be pretty epic to eventually incorporate Jon's original legend for The Star Sisters; the one that has the celestial witch sending them on a collision course with Eternia "once upon a bygone eon", instead of Etheria, thereby causing the catastrophic impact that formed the subterranean Crystal Catacombs.

It would be kick-ass to have The Star Sisters be sort of like a diametric/heroic opposite of The Stygian Witches from Clash of the Titans. Perhaps the Sorceress could send He-Man on a perilous quest to the Crystal Catacombs to find and liberate this trio and attain some sort of knowledge or additional powers (perhaps via their Star Crystals) to help him defeat X enemy.

After freeing them, I'm picturing a scene where The Star Sisters are circling He-Man in fascination with each taking turns finishing the others' sentences in a deadpan sort of tone.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's a tough call. I'm sure if they get digital rights as well, then that will help. But, comic sales are pretty low these days. Licensed comics makes it even harder because a royalty has to be paid which cuts into the bottom line.

DC's budget for books doesn't necessarily operate around each title, but more for their publishing as a whole. Similar to Marvel. Still, each title usually does need to perform well to keep going in its current incarnation.

For some sort of benchmark, I'd look at the recent cancellations of the new "Men of War," "Mister Terrific," "O.M.A.C.," "Hawk and Dove," "Blackhawks" and "Static Shock." Sales estimates put those titles around 14,000 or less.

So, IMO, if the new 6 issue mini performs under that in sales estimates, I wouldn't predicate anything beyond those 6. but if it does better over the course of the series, that could be a positive turn for more.
    Thank you much for the explanation.

They haven't mentioned She-ra or POP at all. So I wouldn't count on any POP characters in this comic, unfortunately.
    Mattel may have POP in the new MOTUC, but that's because they can do toys. Licensing wise, I'm pretty sure CM still treats MOTU and POP as separate licenses. Hope I'm wrong, though! Of course, keep in mind you haven't seen POP art for the new styleguide either.

Why should it be elseworlds though? I mean look, if Skeletor won, and he got the power of Grayskull, he essentially has the power to do anything, so he messed up everyone on Eternia and made them think things were a certain way/re-wrote the truth etc. it's a great jumping off point IMO and skirts having a hard reset type situation (like thundercats) and we aren't subjected to a drawn out origin story as we get a reawakening story. for my money it's potentially a great way to go as we still get the hero's journey but we don't have to start at the beginning and waste 3 issues buiding up the character (might still happen but this is a clean way to avoid that)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

So I guess the 200 of us better buy at least 70 copies each!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    So I guess the 200 of us better buy at least 70 copies each!
    Haha that was classic. Better make it 80.

Interesting! Yay James Robinson, boo Phillip Tan. Where're Val and Emiliano when we need them...?

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    WOOT! This will be good. I think this bodes well for the line.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

It's about time! Hopefully this will kick start some other things!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

This is good to hear! I'm excited to pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    Where're Val and Emiliano when we need them...?
    200x baggage.

Love the premise.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Exciting! I think the idea for the book sounds fun, too!

But argh...I wish people would quit misspelling 'Grayskull!'
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Just noticed the top of Grayskull looks a bit weird in that pic though. I think He-man (and the sword!) look good.

WOW, great news overall!!

I'm not too sure I like where the story may be headed, but I'll hope for the best!!

It's also too bad that it's only slated to be a six issue series. I'd love to get an ongoing comic series that properly tells the MOTUC canon. There are lots of stuff in the MOTUC canon that I'm not fond of, but I still find the whole story interesting.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy