Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Mini-Series DC Comics Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm not so sure this is completely different from the bios/MOTUC story. It says "all-new take" on the story, but if Teela is that Sorceress figure . . .
    Why would we assume Teela is the Sorceress?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    This is exciting news! Another big positive surprise for the 30th Anniversary year.

While I love the early DC mini-comics (the 2nd series of mini-comics represent my favorite canon) I do have some fears about the way the modern DC will treat our product. I've been a long time (essentially) exclusive DC comic reader but am close to dropping my last few DC titles because the New 52 tanks at all levels. The characters are just not treated with love. I think the greedy, whinging, carping Justice League communicating with Steve Trevor in #7 may have been the final straw for me.

So I may be in the minority but (while I am not a fan of the bio-canon) I fervently hope Mattel does indeed retain some editorial control over DC like they seemed to exert back in 200x. I no longer trust DC writers and editors left to their own devices.

But enough of that ... YAY for a new MOTU Comic!
    1000% this- especially after seeing the...groan...New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    This is incredibly awesome news! Finally new media for the first time in a decade!

A list of reasons why this is fantastic for MOTU:

- Love that DC is doing it - that will assure greater exposure than using a smaller company, which could lead to a larger re-launch of the franchise in general (on-going comic series, cartoon, blockbuster movie, new action figures, etc)

- This will probably give MOTUC a boost, ensuring a few more years for us to get every last obscure character in figure form!

- Based on that teaser poster, there won't be any mis-guided attempts to re-invent the wheel. It's He-Man looking exactly the way he should, but with modern artwork. 200x mucked around with the character designs too much, so it's great that this looks like it will follow the classic look.

- By the sounds of it, DC will have a lot of creative freedom. In the past, MOTU was at its best when Mattel didn't interfere and try to micro manage everything. The story concept is a fresh, original take that, as someone else here already said, is a brilliant way to bring MOTU back into the mainstream without having to rehash the origin story yet again.

- The tone of the comic sounds like it will be DARK. I can't emphasize enough how important this is for MOTU overall to become viewed as a "cool" property. The interviewer is completely right when he says that it's mainly remembered as a cheesy cartoon in the 80's that was geared to little kids - Filmation is seen as a joke and did a lot of damage to the property in the long run, and a quality new comic series with a dark edge to it is the perfect way to undo that and finally realize the potential MOTU has had since the beginning.
    He-Man looks like an emaciated nancy boy- Alcala style is what He-Man should look like thank you
    Last edited by vertigoink; April 6, 2012 at 10:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It’s interesting that they’re going down the “good guys as rebels/bad guys ruling” route. When the MOTU film rights were at Warner Bros. the script painted He-Man and the other Masters as rebels trying to free Eternia from Skeletor, who was now ruler of the planet. Maybe Mattel like this angle and this is what direction Sony Pictures (who now have the movie rights) are working in, too?

I don't see why this story can not have relationship with motuc canon .
    this story could be related to the filmation canon , 200x or motuc as anti-eternia's history, only an adventure from hundreds
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    One of the reasons that I never get any news from MTV Geek. I've always viewed that site as an internet version of a hot chick who claims to be a geek since she knows what Luke Skywalker looks like.

I'd also say that Robinson & Tan are bigger names which could possibly draw in people who aren't MOTU fans or haven't thought about the franchise since they were kids. I'm bummed that the writer isn't Geoff Johns though. Not only is he currently more popular than Robinson, he's also acknowledged his love for MOTU in the past. Maybe he can write an arc or mini-series if this goes past 6 issues.

I'm surprised by this as well. Since licensing a comic wouldn't cost Mattel a penny, I figured the reason we never saw a comic was due to the possibility of it conflicting with the bios. Since the bios aren't being used(or at least they don't seem to be), there goes that theory.
    lol @ Tan and Robinson being bigger names...just...no- as for Johns being well known yes he is indeed well know...known for ****ing up DC with New 52 and his total fail with Sir Blues Clues so I'm fairly happy he isn't involved.

I don't see anything wrong with them bringing in fresh talent in to take a shot at MOTU. Let's wait until the thing comes out before we start brandishing the torches, eh? There's nothing wrong with being loyal to Val and Emiliano, but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous. EVERY property ends up going through changes over the years... this is nothing new. No doubt Val and Emiliano would have produced a great new comic, but I'm also into what I've glimpsed from this news article and as a fan who wants something new I'm quite thrilled to give this new series a chance

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    6. The fact that they totally (figuratively speaking) spit in Val and Emiliano's face simultaneously and continue to do so is complete and utter ********.
    I appreciate the support, but I ask that no one to turn support for what we all did almost 10 year ago into venom for this new series.
    This is a new comic series with a new approach. Some of us will love it, some of us will hate it, but let's give it a chance.

I think the idea sounds like a nice way to reinvent the series but still keeping it true to what it was (based on how it sounds) Skeletor 'rewrote' Eternia, so essentially what the heroes perceive as reality is all part of Skelly winning, it's fresh and new to the mythos, and instead of an origin story we get a discovery story. I like it. I really do, just hope it lives up to my anticipation.

=WAY better than the earth soldier transported to a world, tech vs magic etc. Adam thinks his adventures as he-man were just dreams. I like it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I appreciate the support, but I ask that no one to turn support for what we did almost 10 year ago into venom for this new series.
    This is a new comic series with a new approach. Some of us will love it, some of us will hate it, but let's give it a chance.
    Ok that's fair enough Val it just really freaking eats at me that you guys have done so much to keep the brand alive when Mattel didn't give two damns about it and they continue to overlook you- same thing with Rudy as well for example. I'll buy these anyway just on the principle of driving sales, plus Johns has no creative influence so we could get a compelling story.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    7. Finally, Tan is nothing to write home about and Robinson is the definition of mediocre.
    Justice League: Cry for Justice, eh?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with them bringing in fresh talent in to take a shot at MOTU. Let's wait until the thing comes out before we start brandishing the torches, eh? There's nothing wrong with being loyal to Val and Emiliano, but sometimes it gets a bit ridiculous. EVERY property ends up going through changes over the years... this is nothing new. No doubt Val and Emiliano would have produced a great new comic, but I'm also into what I've glimpsed from this news article and as a fan who wants something new I'm quite thrilled to give this new series a chance

Yeah I was admittedly a bit hasty in that rant and I will totally give it a chance- I'd buy it even if they end up sucking just to show Mattel the property is viable so yeah..

Personally I can't wait until we get previews and see how they're tackling the characters and world of Eternia. I really hope they do try and put their own spin on the looks and not simply redraw filmation (or even 200X).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Justice League: Cry for Justice, eh?
    The Coming of Atlas, eh? See I can pick out horrible work for every piece of exceptional work lol. Lol Krypto the super dog indeed!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I am super excited to hear about this! It's about time we get a decent shot at a comic book. DC Comics to boot too. I hope this is the start of better things to come.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Personally I can't wait until we get previews and see how they're tackling the characters and world of Eternia. I really hope they do try and put their own spin on the looks and not simply redraw filmation (or even 200X).
    I'd just like to see them at least buff He-Man up a bit as they seem to want to go the barbarian route- unless he's some new Vegan barbarian?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I am super excited to hear about this! It's about time we get a decent shot at a comic book. DC Comics to boot too. I hope this is the start of better things to come.
    Like REGULAR MINI-COMICS!!!!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Great news! Very excited for this!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Awesome news! I am very excited!!!
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

I'd just like to see them at least buff He-Man up a bit as they seem to want to go the barbarian route- unless he's some new Vegan barbarian?
    Lol, vegan barbarian. Isn't that just Moss Man?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I was a little shocked when I heard the news of a new comic. I'm glad to see that Mattel is working to get some more media out there for MOTU and I hope this does well so we can get more.

That said I'm a bit on the fence about the story. Part of me is mad that is will not be set in the "central" time period of MOTU, the one we all know from Filmation and 200X. But on the other side I'm excited to see a new take on the story if done with respect to what we know about the characters.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the MOTUC bio story will be used.

I'm very sad that Val and Emiliano are not a part of this new book seeing as how important they were and are to keeping the brand alive in the fan community. Even without them I think it's important that we support this new media outlet because it has to do well if we want to see more. Maybe if this mini series does well DC will do a monthly and bring Val and Emiliano in for that.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    Like Danel Bryan would, "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Speaking of the new image we got. I'm for some reason annoyed that his wrist bracers don't match his belt. It just sticks out to me. And JonWes mentioned something about CG in the background. For some reason it looks as if CG's eyes are squinting like he's constipated. Seriously...WTH. Otherwise I like the transformation w/ the awesome bolts like FILMATION. The fire is a nice touch around He-Man's body.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I definitely don't agree with that! I've always been of the opinion you can have an adult comic series for the older fans who want that, but have a childrens' cartoon/toyline as well. MOTU can multiple incarnations appealing to various age groups.
    Agreed. In the same way that you can have "Dark Knight Returns" graphic novel co-exist with the "Brave and the Bold" cartoon for Batman, there should be a possibility of the same for MOTU. For all popular pop culture icons, in fact.

i just wanted to chime in with my reaction to this news with a "holy freaking wakka-wa-HOO! yay yay YAY so excited... awesome can't wait yippee woo WOOOoooooo!"
    LOL.
    seriously though, i find this to be just about the most exciting thing to pop up since the dawn of classics, and certainly the biggest news so far for the 30th! (and, sadly, the fact that it would seem there is a lack of unanimous excitement and support from so many of you troubles me... i really do feel like too many of us are becoming too jaded as of late, and losing our love and excitement for all things He-man.) get excited people... this is happening! i hope we can set aside reservations, personal opinions about creative team, bios/story, etc etc etc... and just collectively recognize that this IS big and exciting news for the property as a whole! (which, we ALL love in some form or another, or why are we here... right?)

It doesn't sound like an Elseworlds story, just like a really cool idea to introduce the characters to new readers. Skeletor re-wrote history, so I am sure everything will be "normal" at the end of the mini-series. I really hope this sells well so they will make it an ongoing series.

Don't get me wrong, I really give props to Val and Emiliano for all their hard work for the 200X comic and keeping the brand alive. However, I don't get that people are upset that they aren't working on it. Stupid example: we'd never have the awesome Christopher Nolan Batman movies if Tim Burton made every single one. Its nice to see a fresh take on things.