Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate Baertsch's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Nate Baertsch's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd come back to my roots and post some of the design art I did for Masters of the Universe Classics!

Roton will soon be in the hands of the fans. For many, the last Mattycollector purchase... EVER. And what a way to go out huh?
    Here's what Eric Treadaway and I came up with, we both wanted to make the face of Roton more like something we might have seen Rudy Obrero do back in the 1980s early on in the original line, with the box art. It was a total guess on our part, but we had fun imagining it! I know many fans have embraced this change, Thank you!!! I also know many fans don't like the change, to you good folks, I'm sorry. I can respect the fact that this isn't the same as the original. I love how the final product came out. Joe Amaro did the sculpt originally. He even figured out the blade spinning mechanism! Enjoy, and let me know what you think! It's great to be back in the fan art forum again.

Roton Art.jpg

Also, a little story on how the canopy came to be. I don't remember exactly which Q and A it was, but I know Brandon was the designer at the time at Mattel, and someone asked if the canopy would come with the Roton. No one publicly knew the Roton was coming out. We were very much in the early sculpt phase and I was sketching these out. Brandon asked if we could implement the canopy, and BAM, this happened. All thanks to you guys, we got the canopy added to harken back to the old Roton Model kit. We love it! Thank you all! Fan input in action for the benefit of all.

Roton Canopy.jpg

I hope to post more in the coming weeks. I'll put one up a week at a time, and maybe move backwards on what all I was able to contribute to teh lien.

Good Journey!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Awesome!! Can't wait to see more. Between this thread and Axel's thread, it's like awesome art overload!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing such coolness, Nate! Love the canopy story and illustrations!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Awesome!! Can't wait to see more. Between this thread and Axel's thread, it's like awesome art overload!
    Totally! Bring it on!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing! Love what you did with Roton…never noticed that the spine motif continued onto the back of the canopy!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Did they keep the acid vial holder on the actual toy?

Unfortunately not. But easy detail to miss.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Reading "the last mattycollector purchase... Ever." made me a little misty eyed.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Unfortunately not. But easy detail to miss.
    Sadness. What a great detail it would have been! Very cool seeing it in the sketch though. Thanks for sharing!
    We need to let our new friends at Super 7 know that many of us are ALL IN COLLECTORS. We don't want products that are impossible for the average collector to have access to! If there is a He-man product, I want to buy it. Please no chases or con-only exclusives.

Make your voice heard! We DO want Snake Mountain!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Mighty awesome redesign Nate! Love the monster/machine fusion and sculptwise my favorite vehicle so far, cause i personally prefer the more organic look on some of its parts.
    If only the acid vial holder and the intestines would´ve made it to final product, but overall a very minor cutback.
    Will be hard to decide if i will pose it with or without canopy, but thats a nice problem to have

Nate, your art is always wonderful, and this is no exception. Thank you for sharing and I'm excited to see more!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Nice artworks!
    Also wanted to thank you for pulling these strong ideas out of the room. :

- Roton's face design
    - Condensing both vintage & Fimation Snake Mountain

Well that's to name a few i suppose, as i do not really know how much you contributed to the line so far...
    but i'm digging, always!
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; December 23, 2016 at 05:14am.
    Holy Grail of a lifetime:
    Mask Of Power - Lodar - Kex Queen - Krrylak - Quakke - Hoove - Staghorn - Shezar - Tataran - Kothos - Melog - Saryn (Evil Witch) - Dylamug -Slob-Boar - Ra-Jar - Odar - Garn (Mini-Comics) - Robowoman - Major Header - Saw-Tooth - Prince Dakon - Ever-Mean - Karg - Muck Man - Missile Toe

Thanks OnlyOneSkeletor!

Keep your eyes on this thread, because I think Snake Mountain art will be next!
    Posting once a week, you'll see just about everything I had a hand in. Although it's a small contribution, just some drawings to get things rolling.
    The Horsemen and others do the real work bringing my chicken-scratch to life!

Heroic Warrior
    :WOW!

I loved the updated Classic design of Roton, Nate! You are an amazing artist and always loved your artwork!

Can't wait for your Snake Mountain!

And thank you very much that you and Axel are officialy sharing your great artwork with us!

Great work Nate, really superb work on updating the Roton! I really like the organic spine that comes from the canopy down to the back and the real menacing face which gives it a more fearsome look while still maintaining the overall vintage look. A perfect blend.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Vote in this HatMOTU poll for Filmation characters not found in the "official" fan poll: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...20#post3607720

Keep your eyes on this thread, because I think Snake Mountain art will be next!
    Awesome, I'm really looking forward to that!! Thanks for making this thread and sharing your MOTUC art with us.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Oy! Sorry for the late reply here on this new post... Holidays have me in a fog!

Here's a look at some of the sheets I did for the Snake Mountain Playset!
    Most have seen just the front image shown, but many haven't seen the full B-sheet I prepared for the Horsemen and Mattel!

Please understand that this was the dreams of Eric and I put to paper. IF Super7 decides they want to do Snake Mountain, we can expect changes, exclusions and such from this B-Sheet. This was just the starting point as Eric and I tried to dream big, but somewhat realistically? We wanted to go crazy, but couldn't go too crazy.

Eric and I both loved the playability on the outside of the old play set, and wanted to just amp that up for this one. So there are a few more ledges and such that figures could stand on.
    As we all know by now, Joe Amaro did the main sculpt in 3D, while Eric took the 3D print and enhanced a lot of the textures on it by hand with clay, giving the prototype we've all seen by now. As to what will go on the inside in the end? Your guess is as good as mine!!!

Enjoy some more design art!

A look at the play set with figures all over it.
    IMG_1862.jpg

The B-Sheet.
    IMG_1867.jpg

A comparison to Grayskull.
    SM CG Size Compare.jpg

I'll try to post another on Saturday!

Hot diggity!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Nate! This is so incredibly amazing! I love all the detail and love that went into this. It just makes me want a Classics Snake Mountain all the more. Come on Super 7. Let's do this!
    Thanks for posting these awesome designs for all to see!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

The features and detail added to the interior of Snake Mountain are so freaking cool! Green energy whip, purple sword, tentacles, creature, shield clips, workstation, skeletor's table, etc etc! So much coolness hidden inside there!!!!

Now I need this playset to happen even more!
    We need to let our new friends at Super 7 know that many of us are ALL IN COLLECTORS. We don't want products that are impossible for the average collector to have access to! If there is a He-man product, I want to buy it. Please no chases or con-only exclusives.

Make your voice heard! We DO want Snake Mountain!

Wow, that's a jaw-dropper! I love the idea of ledges and stairs that the figures could conceivably be posed on (the Castle Grayskull ledge is kind of a sad example of this idea done poorly, as figures have a great deal of difficulty being put there without falling over). It's a feature I would hate to see go if Super 7 had to scale it down in any way. I love (absolutely LOVE) all of the vintage toy details that are both included and embellished upon from the classic toy. I can see a handful of things that are really cool but that ultimately I would cut from the plans in order to price it down or whatnot... things I would sacrifice in order to keep the intended size intact. Stuff like: breakaway wall feature, having the microphone be functional, bendy tentacles, Tri-Klops' work table, and some of the accessories. Even if Skeletor's bone throne had to be ommitted for the time being, it's not like Super 7 couldn't release an upgrade pak down the line. Heck, some fans would probably want a crack at the throne by itself because they don't have display space or the money for a full Snake Mountain. Things like Tri-Klops' table, the weapons, etc could all be part of a Weapons Pak.
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Should the famous monster sticker come alive this time again,
    i'd like seeing it going from prototype to final product.
    And i'm not talking about Grayskull's though being included here also.
    Congratulations, the lair is filled with villainous tresors!
    Holy Grail of a lifetime:
    Mask Of Power - Lodar - Kex Queen - Krrylak - Quakke - Hoove - Staghorn - Shezar - Tataran - Kothos - Melog - Saryn (Evil Witch) - Dylamug -Slob-Boar - Ra-Jar - Odar - Garn (Mini-Comics) - Robowoman - Major Header - Saw-Tooth - Prince Dakon - Ever-Mean - Karg - Muck Man - Missile Toe

Holy cow Snake Mountain looks amazing!!!! I love all the details and accessories!!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Please understand that this was the dreams of Eric and I put to paper. IF Super7 decides they want to do Snake Mountain, we can expect changes, exclusions and such from this B-Sheet. This was just the starting point as Eric and I tried to dream big, but somewhat realistically? We wanted to go crazy, but couldn't go too crazy.
    I love it. Keep on dreaming big! Even if costs prevent Super7 including it all, there's nothing to stop subsequent add-on sets being produced down the line.

That Snake Mountain design is super dope! Love your work, Baena

That's just amazing artwork, you have done incredibly well with Icon Heroes Nate and now this, Snake Mountain playset better be a reality sooner than later, especially for all the artifacts that might include such as the throne of bones, the interdimensional mirror etc)
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."