Thread: Star Wars Classics Action Figure Line-My Dream Toyline

Hybrid View

Star Wars Classics Action Figure Line-My Dream Toyline

My name is Thommy and I'm a Star Wars Fan. This is a great thing. Being a Star Wars Collector, on the other hand, has had its ups and downs. I own tons of this stuff and bought the action figure line religiously for years and years, until the inevitable day when I realized, completely burned out, that it had ceased being a fun hobby and had transformed into a job. (Happily, the excellent MOTUC line started soon after, and as a Fanboy and Figure Connoisseur, I had found my Happy Place.)

But again, I am still a Star Wars Fan. Enjoying the films and the cartoons and the music and the Way of Life that Being a Star Wars Fan brings is swell, but sometimes I pine for the excitement of tearing into a Brand New Toy bearing the likeness of the Heroes of the Rebellion or the Villains of the Galactic Empire.

Lately, even fans of the franchise who never left the Hasbro line (okay, I'm still a sucker for Ewoks) have been feeling the staleness of a decades old collection and style. I've spoken briefly (via The Internets) with Galactic Hunter's maestro, Adam Pawlus, regarding the notion of a FRESH take on Lucas' beloved series in the same vein as MOTUC, DCUC, or Marvel Legends. (Pawlus has made it no secret that he's enamored with the MOTUC line, lately.)

Imagine the awesomeness of a small line -perhaps 10-12 figures a year, made up of 6-7 inch figures of only the most crucial characters. (No ICMG here.) Just as the original Kenner line did one version of a character in a certain guide (as opposed to 20 Tatooine Luke's), this line would focus on the most important elements from all six movies, The Clone Wars, and possibly anything else Lucasfilm churns out in the future.

I imagine the style to be the modern equivalent of the Vintage line-likeness could be somewhat stylized as far as actors go, but not in a way that would age prematurely (as some would argue the 200X/anime style has). A timeless look akin to MOTUC would fit nicely.

Imagine a first wave of these figures to test the waters:

-Darth Vader
    -Chewbacca
    -Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
    -Han Solo (IV)

...followed by a wave a few months later of:

-Princess Leia (IV)
    -Ben Kenobi
    -Boba Fett
    -Stormtrooper

...and so on.

Vehicles and playsets would likely not happen, of course, but we've survived without a Batmobile for our DCUC Batman figures or a Fortress of Solitude for Supes. It would be a drastic change from the legendary Star Wars play pattern, but in a world where shelf-space is an epic battleground, that could be a plus. Hasbro could even attempt to "out-Matty" Mattel and launch this as an online-only collection. I'd love to sub for 12 SWClassics figures a year!

Toss me your ideas, thoughts, line-ups, designs, and support! Even if we're spinning our wheels in the muck of a massive daydream, this could be fun!

May the Force be with you!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    The thing that has always kept me from collecting Star Wars toys is that it doesn't appear reasonable to "get the whole collection." Between packaging varients, obscure characters, and multiple versions of the same varient (a la Tatooine Luke), it's just too much. If a 12-figure-per-year Star Wars line came out that was something totally new, I would at least look into it. Something MOTUC-ish would be hard to pass up.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Funny, becuase I was just talking with some folks on Twitter just last week about this very subject.

If a really nicely detailed, articulated 6"-scale Star Wars "Classics" or "Legends" line started, that would get me back in to buying Star Wars toys again.

Like you, I spent years and years buying up everything Kenner/Hasbro put out. It used to be the only thing I collected. I often refer to Star Wars as the "gateway drug" to figure collecting, because so many of us started with Star Wars.

But over the years, I just got burned out. There was just too much, and so much of the same, and it was hard to keep up with. I still cherry pick from time to time. The recent Vintage Collection has been great, but even with it I only buy the characters I really want. Otherwise, I've pretty much completely given up on Star Wars figure collecting.

But this...this would pull me back in. Just as you said, if it were a smalls election of figures, no variants of the same characters over and over again...jsut really nie, poseable figures. I'd be all in!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Star Wars Classics line.....I'd be one of the first to sign up! I'm another burnt out star wars collector who gave up. Just wasn't fun anymore. Branched out into Yoda collecting instead. Started MOTU collecting with my son and it was fun again! If I can have that with my first love....that would be a dream come true! I'm with Dan though....as long as it was a small election of figures and not 20 varients of the same character (though we can have a few...tatooine/dagobah/jedi luke doesn't bother me...nor would classic/endor/slavegirl leia)

Star Wars Classics is a very cool idea and I for one would love having a 6" scale highly detailed figures. But I would only want it to be a collection of the core characters. I'd be happy with just the original trilogy but Hasbro would not do that, the new trilogy and Clone Wars is their link to the kids market. There are just to many characters in the SW universe, which is why like Pixel Dan and He-Dad I've stopped collecting the majority of SW, now I only buy Princess Leia and Padme Amidala and a small collection of the female Jedi.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    As the resident Star Wars buff here I can say that I am pretty ambivalent towards a 6" Star Wars line. Personally, I think the 3 3/4" scale is the ideal one simply because of vehicles. The sentiment I'm reading is that people are burnt out on Star Wars. But wouldn't yet another Star Wars line just add to the glut? The key to avoid burnout is as people have already mentioned here: just collect what you like. If you try to collect everything in the Star Wars action figure line, you will burn yourself out unless you are just die hard. I just collect Imperial/bounty hunter/Cantina/Jabba Palace characters with the occasional Rebel figure. Same goes with the vehicles. It helps keep me interested. I would prefer they would concentrate on a Star Destroyer in the scale of the U.S.S. Flagg. Now that's something to dream about!
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 10, 2012 at 11:13am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

HD figures on youtube
    This would get me back into SW figures as well. I started collecting the Kotobukiya figures for this very reason.

This would get me back in. I'm a 6" convert at this point. I want GI Joe to follow suit as well.