Thread: Star Wars Classics Action Figure Line-My Dream Toyline

Star Wars Classics Action Figure Line-My Dream Toyline

My name is Thommy and I'm a Star Wars Fan. This is a great thing. Being a Star Wars Collector, on the other hand, has had its ups and downs. I own tons of this stuff and bought the action figure line religiously for years and years, until the inevitable day when I realized, completely burned out, that it had ceased being a fun hobby and had transformed into a job. (Happily, the excellent MOTUC line started soon after, and as a Fanboy and Figure Connoisseur, I had found my Happy Place.)

But again, I am still a Star Wars Fan. Enjoying the films and the cartoons and the music and the Way of Life that Being a Star Wars Fan brings is swell, but sometimes I pine for the excitement of tearing into a Brand New Toy bearing the likeness of the Heroes of the Rebellion or the Villains of the Galactic Empire.

Lately, even fans of the franchise who never left the Hasbro line (okay, I'm still a sucker for Ewoks) have been feeling the staleness of a decades old collection and style. I've spoken briefly (via The Internets) with Galactic Hunter's maestro, Adam Pawlus, regarding the notion of a FRESH take on Lucas' beloved series in the same vein as MOTUC, DCUC, or Marvel Legends. (Pawlus has made it no secret that he's enamored with the MOTUC line, lately.)

Imagine the awesomeness of a small line -perhaps 10-12 figures a year, made up of 6-7 inch figures of only the most crucial characters. (No ICMG here.) Just as the original Kenner line did one version of a character in a certain guide (as opposed to 20 Tatooine Luke's), this line would focus on the most important elements from all six movies, The Clone Wars, and possibly anything else Lucasfilm churns out in the future.

I imagine the style to be the modern equivalent of the Vintage line-likeness could be somewhat stylized as far as actors go, but not in a way that would age prematurely (as some would argue the 200X/anime style has). A timeless look akin to MOTUC would fit nicely.

Imagine a first wave of these figures to test the waters:

-Darth Vader
    -Chewbacca
    -Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)
    -Han Solo (IV)

...followed by a wave a few months later of:

-Princess Leia (IV)
    -Ben Kenobi
    -Boba Fett
    -Stormtrooper

...and so on.

Vehicles and playsets would likely not happen, of course, but we've survived without a Batmobile for our DCUC Batman figures or a Fortress of Solitude for Supes. It would be a drastic change from the legendary Star Wars play pattern, but in a world where shelf-space is an epic battleground, that could be a plus. Hasbro could even attempt to "out-Matty" Mattel and launch this as an online-only collection. I'd love to sub for 12 SWClassics figures a year!

Toss me your ideas, thoughts, line-ups, designs, and support! Even if we're spinning our wheels in the muck of a massive daydream, this could be fun!

May the Force be with you!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    The thing that has always kept me from collecting Star Wars toys is that it doesn't appear reasonable to "get the whole collection." Between packaging varients, obscure characters, and multiple versions of the same varient (a la Tatooine Luke), it's just too much. If a 12-figure-per-year Star Wars line came out that was something totally new, I would at least look into it. Something MOTUC-ish would be hard to pass up.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Funny, becuase I was just talking with some folks on Twitter just last week about this very subject.

If a really nicely detailed, articulated 6"-scale Star Wars "Classics" or "Legends" line started, that would get me back in to buying Star Wars toys again.

Like you, I spent years and years buying up everything Kenner/Hasbro put out. It used to be the only thing I collected. I often refer to Star Wars as the "gateway drug" to figure collecting, because so many of us started with Star Wars.

But over the years, I just got burned out. There was just too much, and so much of the same, and it was hard to keep up with. I still cherry pick from time to time. The recent Vintage Collection has been great, but even with it I only buy the characters I really want. Otherwise, I've pretty much completely given up on Star Wars figure collecting.

But this...this would pull me back in. Just as you said, if it were a smalls election of figures, no variants of the same characters over and over again...jsut really nie, poseable figures. I'd be all in!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Star Wars Classics line.....I'd be one of the first to sign up! I'm another burnt out star wars collector who gave up. Just wasn't fun anymore. Branched out into Yoda collecting instead. Started MOTU collecting with my son and it was fun again! If I can have that with my first love....that would be a dream come true! I'm with Dan though....as long as it was a small election of figures and not 20 varients of the same character (though we can have a few...tatooine/dagobah/jedi luke doesn't bother me...nor would classic/endor/slavegirl leia)

Star Wars Classics is a very cool idea and I for one would love having a 6" scale highly detailed figures. But I would only want it to be a collection of the core characters. I'd be happy with just the original trilogy but Hasbro would not do that, the new trilogy and Clone Wars is their link to the kids market. There are just to many characters in the SW universe, which is why like Pixel Dan and He-Dad I've stopped collecting the majority of SW, now I only buy Princess Leia and Padme Amidala and a small collection of the female Jedi.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    As the resident Star Wars buff here I can say that I am pretty ambivalent towards a 6" Star Wars line. Personally, I think the 3 3/4" scale is the ideal one simply because of vehicles. The sentiment I'm reading is that people are burnt out on Star Wars. But wouldn't yet another Star Wars line just add to the glut? The key to avoid burnout is as people have already mentioned here: just collect what you like. If you try to collect everything in the Star Wars action figure line, you will burn yourself out unless you are just die hard. I just collect Imperial/bounty hunter/Cantina/Jabba Palace characters with the occasional Rebel figure. Same goes with the vehicles. It helps keep me interested. I would prefer they would concentrate on a Star Destroyer in the scale of the U.S.S. Flagg. Now that's something to dream about!
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 10, 2012 at 11:13am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

HD figures on youtube
    This would get me back into SW figures as well. I started collecting the Kotobukiya figures for this very reason.

This would get me back in. I'm a 6" convert at this point. I want GI Joe to follow suit as well.

HD figures on youtube
    As the resident Star Wars buff here
    You are? Thought there was a lot of fans here...

i like the small figs, but can't they get better articulation? i'd buy a lot more of them if they had joe or mu articulation.

Yeah Uncle Benny-I think you'll catch some challenges for that title.

I get what you mean, but many of us it seems we're pretty diehard completists.

I'd love a line like this to cover the original lineup (plus some figures which I'd argue we're criminally overlooked such as Tarkin, Slave Leia, etc.) and an equivalent selection of prequel characters and some from The Clone Wars.

Imagine the SDCC Exclusive Spirits of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin! (With swappable Sebastian and Hayden heads!)

I'd love to hear Toyguru's thoughts-he's another of our resident Star Wars Fans.

I'd love to see everyone's ideas for figure execution, line ups, exclusives, and whatnot!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

All the obscure characters they put out and I'm still waiting for the rest of the Imperial Dignitaries.

Yeah, the "only essential" characters thing doesn't work for me. Of course seeing everyone but the characters I want appear as action figures doesn't either. I mean give me Mother Talzin, dammit!

I'd really like a line devoted to the Old Republic game and that doesn't waste all slots on variations of the stupid droids and arc troopers (or whatever the stormtrooper variations are). I want tons of Sith.

Talzin would be great ( in any line)!

Here's a link to the discussion at Galactic Hunter:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/sto...s#comment-2345

I'm up for Hermione's 3AM feeding...the idea of Collect-and-Connect Jabbas, Wampas, and such hit me...!
    Last edited by Uki; April 10, 2012 at 10:01am. Reason: Aha!

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    You are? Thought there was a lot of fans here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Yeah Uncle Benny-I think you'll catch some challenges for that title.
    True, Uki-yuki, but none with my style and dedication...to evil! Thus making me the best. Let the challenges come. I have never been defeated!

I get what you mean, but many of us it seems we're pretty diehard completists.
    Well, unless you got millions of dollars and years of free time, then you're pretty much setting yourself up for failure and disappointment with attempting to have a complete Star Wars line.

I'd love a line like this to cover the original lineup (plus some figures which I'd argue we're criminally overlooked such as Tarkin, Slave Leia, etc.) and an equivalent selection of prequel characters and some from The Clone Wars.
    Well, that sounds like the Gentle Giant line of 12" reproductions of the vintage Kenner action figures that come on their own cards!

They don't come with any greater points of articulation but it'll probably be the closest we'll get to a giant size selective line. That or the Sideshow 12" line of which I have a few of the figures.

Imagine the SDCC Exclusive Spirits of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin! (With swappable Sebastian and Hayden heads!)
    Actually, I would rather not think about a swappable Hayden head on a spirit Anakin. That scene made no sense to me from the film's standpoint. I'd be angry as hell if I were Yoda or Obi-Wan
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 10, 2012 at 09:12am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

All valid points and opinions. I'll concede that you are the best EVIL fan of SW...or anything, for that matter...

I like the 12" stuff, but we're talking essentially the Star Wars version of MOTUC! I'll post some of the ideas I had last night later on... We're running a gamut of Dr. visits this morning for Hermuone and her Mommy.

I got burned out on Star Wars a while ago. At some point, I realized I didnít need 300 different versions of the same exact figure. By now, weíre either getting new versions of existing figures or new figures of characters that only got 2 seconds of screen time. I donít need all of my figures to be super articulated. I just want them to look nice. I still buy a handful of figures each year. Iíve invested way too much in collecting the 3 ĺĒ line to start collecting a new line.

What would really get me excited about collecting Star Wars again would be to get figures in vintage Kenner colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Actually, I would rather not think about a swappable Hayden head on a spirit Anakin. That scene made no sense to me from the film's standpoint. I'd be angry as hell if I were Yoda or Obi-Wan
    Yeah, I couldnít make it out either. It would have made more sense to me if they had kept Sebastian Shaw but changed his clothes to reflect more of what Anakinís Jedi apparel looked like in Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith. Not that Iím suggesting the scene should have been changed at all. Iím just saying that if something just had to be changed, I think that would have made more sense.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

FakerII, If SWClassics looked like those examples you just posted (albeit at 6 inches, with the requisite articulation), I'd be in LOVE!

(As to the Spirit of Anakin debate-I "get" why Lucas did it and I'm sure he's decreed that Hasbro stick with the Hayden likeness, but I'd love the option of either.)

They could crank out some easy-peasy exclusives/mail-aways too: Spirits, holograms, and for Boba: Empire and Jedi looks.
    Last edited by Uki; April 10, 2012 at 10:41am.

All valid points and opinions. I'll concede that you are the best EVIL fan of SW...or anything, for that matter...
    Thanks! It took years of practice and being a jerk to get to the top of the garbage heap.

I like the 12" stuff, but we're talking essentially the Star Wars version of MOTUC!
    Yeah, I know. My point is that if a person gets burned out on the Star Wars stuff out there already (3 3/4" and 12"), then I don't think a 6" MOTUC style Star Wars line will allay the burn out syndrome any better. But, I could be wrong. I say that I won't buy a 6" Vader or Stormtrooper but I may change my mind when I see them. But for right now, the vintage card style 3 3/4" new releases are doing great for me.

Being a Sith, that phrase hurts, Uki-yuki! I'm much cooler than a regular Jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Yeah, I couldn’t make it out either. It would have made more sense to me if they had kept Sebastian Shaw but changed his clothes to reflect more of what Anakin’s Jedi apparel looked like in Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith. Not that I’m suggesting the scene should have been changed at all. I’m just saying that if something just had to be changed, I think that would have made more sense.
    Yeah, F-Deuce. Like Uki-yuki said, I "get" why Lucas did the change but it still makes no sense to me.

I definitely see the merits of Hasbro releasing a line like what Uki described. I have a ton of Star Wars figures, vehicles,and playsets, but I too have really declined in my Star Wars buying habits. Unless you are doing dioramas or displaying them with vehicles, 1/18th figures just don't display as well as figures in the 6-7 inch range. Having the Star Wars figures in this range with more detail (not that the 1/18th figures aren't already highly detailed) would definitely feel fresh. I think lots of people jumped into Marvel Universe when Hasbro dropped the Marvel figures into a 1/18th scale from the traditional 6-7inches. The same could happen for Star Wars. Here are a few pros and cons that come to my mind:

Con: Companies are starting to drop the scale of their figures to keep costs lower. This would definitely cost more.

Pro: A larger scale with a fresh start could mean a more manageable collection. I doubt there are many people who can be Star Wars completists. There is too much product, too many exclusives, and lots of expensive vehicles/ multip packs. A larger scale would seem to favor the more traditional 4-7 figures a wave, 3-4 waves a year plus a few exclusives.

Pros: It would be interesting, seeing how awesome Hasbro has done with likenesses, accessories, and articles of clothing/ armor in the 1/18th scale, to see how they do with the 6-7 inch scale. Honestly, I can imagine these being flat out amazing.

Pros: A-list and very toyetic characters only would definitely help to prevent pegwarmers. For universe building there would be the smaller scale still. It'll never go away. For the popular characters and super cool characters that would make good toys like Bossk and IG-88, a larger scale option would definitely encourage to rebuy these characters in a larger scale.

It is a cool idea and one that I'm always surprised Hasbro hasn't attempted yet. They did have the Force Battlers a few years back, but I think those were too toyish and stylized for collectors and older fans to take seriously.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Okay. Nevermind. I'm burned out just reading this thread.

The current Star Wars Vintage collection is already the ultimate Star Wars line. And I dislike the larger scale for a toyline that's always been about vehicles, creatures and army building. So we're all good right now, I think.

This wouldn't be about the vehicles, though. The appeal to so many is that it would be a fresh take on something we all love. You may be good, but many of us have gotten bored, burned out, and blasť toward their collections. I'm not suggesting Hasbro axe their (gradually scaling back) line which we all love; I only wish for a new, fresh take on figures of my very favorite characters!

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but dont mind us having some fun.

I'm imagining a Vader with lit and unlit sabers, packed with a mouse droid (I'd save the interrogation droid for the Princess), and a few swappable heads:
    -Helmeted
    -unmasked (3 parts!)
    -Dagobah Spirit blasted open to reveal Luke!

...and maybe swappable gloves and the ability to display his upper armor over or under his capes.

I'd happily plunk down $20-$30 dollars for that guy!
    Last edited by Uki; April 12, 2012 at 04:09am.

This wouldn't be about the vehicles, though. The appeal to so many is that it would be a fresh take on something we all love. You may be good, but many of us have gotten bored, burned out, and blasť toward their collections. I'm not suggesting Hasbro axe their (gradually scaling back) line which we all love; I only wish for a new, fresh take on figures of my very favorite characters!

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but dont mind us having some fun.

I'm imagining a Vader with lit and unlit sabers, packed with a mouse droid (I'd save the interrogation droid for the Princess), and a few swappable heads:
    -Helmeted
    -unmasked (3 parts!)
    -Dagobah Spirit blasted open to reveal Luke!

...and maybe swappable gloves and the ability to display his upper air over or under his capes.

I'd happily plunk down $20-$30 dollars for that guy!
    Sideshow already has you covered on the large-scale "ultimate" collector figures.

You are literally never going to get better, more screen-accurate ones with as many awesome accessories.

Apples and oranges-that's a vastly different price scale and figure size. Literally.