Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're all more and more annoyed... is it time for us to do something about it?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

So we're all more and more annoyed... is it time for us to do something about it?

Way back in the very early days of the Classics line, even pre-subs when we were all battling on-line ordering and RSOD each and every month, I suggested a "strike" where we wouldn't buy for a month. Course, it wasn't gonna happen (and I myself still attempted to buy the figures I was after!)
    But as time has gone on, the service has just got worse and worse, especially on DR's side of things.

...So is it time to agree on some kinda "strike"? Many sub holders in particular are annoyed - I myself am waiting for everything from my Demo-Man and BG Evil-Lyn from last year onwards to even arrive - so am one the verge of cancelling my one remaing sub (dropped my traditional second one as I just can't afford to pay out so much on items that might not even arrive).
    I know a number of other .orgers are sadly on the verge of similar action, instead going the ebay / independant site / whatever route for the figures they want.

Not sure how we'd work it, but maybe if we all took that action - cancelling subs, not ordering on the 15th, etc., - within a certain agreed week or time limit... would it finally hit Matty hard enough in the pocket to sit up and take notice? We could hopefully still get out figures via other means, which we are all slowly turning towards more and more anyway.

Cos when lifelong, hardcore MOTU fans such as myself and many others on this board are quitting the line (and not even wanting to!), surely it's finally time to take some kinda stand?

Thoughts? Ideas? Proposals? I think it's really time we finally made our voices heard now. With this latest ---- up of still awaiting five months orders, I pretty much feel like I've been robbed.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I don't think this will work. Subscribers are already buying the majority of monthly figures and I hardly think there are a lot of people that want to cancel at this point and deal with Matty every month for the rest of the year. People are still going to buy the figures they want and if a lot of people did stop buying figures Mattel would just cancel the line. It sucks that there's not a good solution to all the problems DR has created, but maybe Mattel will finally get that CS person on board after Toy Guru promising it for 2 months now.

I will strike, the sale page and order some toys. That's my strike.

I am upset with how Digital River and Mattel handle customer service as it pertains to the MOTU Classics line, HOWEVER I will NOT go on strike!

I absolutely LOVE the MOTU Classics figures!!! I never got to collect the vintage or 200X figures during their hayday. So, it is an absolute dream come true to be able to collect these figures.

I do believe, though, that Mattel and Digital River make the process MUCH MORE stressful than it should be.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; April 12, 2012 at 10:41am.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

You have to get offline and hit Mattel themselves. a letter campaign cc'ed to Mattel customer service (not digital river) the managers and the board as well as an open letter to Mattel shareholders. explain the points of concern, why digital river's incompetence can cost them money. if we stop buying MOTU, mattelw ill stop making MOTU and continue on busness as usual, the fans get hurt, mattel will move on. if you want mattel to listen you have to hit the people they will listen to.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

How could this possibly help things? Say a bunch of people agreed not to buy the figures (won't happen - you even said you went back on your earlier pledges to strike and tried to sneak in purchases), AND a bunch of people agreed to cancel their subs, AND Mattel notices.

What's the more likely outcome? Mattel's management takes it as statement from the fans and fixes 100% of all the issues ever raised (not possible), even though most of those issues are with DR or the manufacturers. Or, Mattel's management sees it as reason to put even less money and effort into the line. Yeah, it's the second one.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    I'm just gonna roll w/ the punches and keep getting my sub figs every month, I didn't get the 30th sub b/c I procrastinated, so I have to get those by other means.

No Strike for ME!!!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    is it time for a "strike"?
    Full-on tactical nuclear!

Or one low and inside...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    You have to get offline and hit Mattel themselves. a letter campaign cc'ed to Mattel customer service (not digital river) the managers and the board as well as an open letter to Mattel shareholders. explain the points of concern, why digital river's incompetence can cost them money. if we stop buying MOTU, mattelw ill stop making MOTU and continue on busness as usual, the fans get hurt, mattel will move on. if you want mattel to listen you have to hit the people they will listen to.

I've been communicating with Kilpin (Scott's "upper management") for a while now so I can tell you that they know.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Love this line with all my heart. Hate the QC issues, shipping issues and what have you not. But no, will not go on strike. I will go on a strike when they make a Spector variant...
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

You're not gona get nearly enough for a strike. There's just no way of telling the extent of the damage. Everyone having problems wants to believe they're in the majority, but how can you tell? I mean, the "Ask Matty" questions are full of "where's my product" questions, but seeing that is in no way an indication that it is happening across the board. You'd have to have an entire message board full of people without product or with broken product, and I'm honestly not seeing anything beyond normal problems when it comes to message boards - and that's considering that most message boards are talking about a toyline that is in stores!! You can check and see what your toy looks like in the store, so you can avoid the problem figures. You can't avoid the problems with this line, and yet the complaints just feel too similar to other toy forums. The only thing I see as ridiculous is Digital River and the crap they keep pulling, and yet STILL they don't add up to enough problems for a strike.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    I've been communicating with Kilpin (Scott's "upper management") for a while now so I can tell you that they know.
    I didn't know you had juice! but without a movement there isn't much threat. I can't say they don't care, but I'm just saying to get something done you have to get offline and direct the ire towards what matters to them.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Tell me more.

And...? Do they care? You have our attention.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I think it'd probably be a good idea, particularly with some kind of statement ("We are not buying anything this month because of the following") shown very publically to Mattel... but getting people to do it would be like herding cats. For all of the logic involved, there really are people that have had no problems and don't care, have had no problems and do care but just want their toys, have had problems and don't mind taking a risk, people who are reserved to having problems, people who think that they are "helpin teh lien," resellers buying a bunch at a time, etc. Realistically, if you could rally a couple of hundred people to not buy specifically to send them a message, that would be a major accomplishment... but not enough of one to scare Mattel. You would somehow need to corral thousands into not buying.
    TL;DR- sure, if you could get enough people to do it, but I doubt that you could.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    And...? Do they care? You have our attention.
    Yes, tell us more...
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    ...So is it time to agree on some kinda "strike"? Many sub holders in particular are annoyed
    You do whatever you want, my friend, but no... on the whole a "strike", as you propose, is not going to work. Mattel looks at numbers as the bottom line. With it already stated that the line in 2013 is being rolled back a bit, if we all would simply "not buy" for a month, that would hurt the numbers cumulatively. If they're not selling product, then stop making that product. Simple as that. Who loses out in the long-run? Us. No more MOTUC's for us to even scrutinize. Simply NO product. Then things go back into stasis, and we all sit around wishing we had an action figure line. It takes us to a place we all, I'm sure, don't want to be again.

I don't like some of the issues, especially the ones you're dealing with, and for that I am truly sorry... but this isn't the answer in my opinion.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    really?

P.S. -by the way... it's called a boycott. *grumble* *grumble* Are we in a He-Man Union? ...No.

Let it be known that I LOVE MOTUC and have every toy except the Star Sisters or She-Ra /Adora and have NEVER had a QC or shipping (other than a little long for the money) problem.
    Last edited by He-Dude; April 12, 2012 at 12:17pm.

Heroic Warrior
    lol... Good luck with this.

Too much fear that this will kill the line, But if you get some people to support this cause, count me in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor View Post
    I will go on a strike when they make a Spector variant...
    Well, they already did: Lt Spector in the Royal Guards two-pack.

(Who is also shown on the cross-sell cardback of Mighty Spector, to add insult to injury.)
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Spacedust's stirring the pot this month a little harder than usual Good luck with that mate
    10-15-2011 1:30pm Eastern
    The MOTUC line and all its fans were taken for the ass

Let us never forget.

My whole thing about going on strike over toys is let's not, but say we did.

Rather than a strike, what I suggest is you all organize a "contact DR and Mattel" day to voice your problems. We all talk about this stuff online and have done so for over 3 years and nothing has changed. No doubt Scott has pleaded his case but upper management hasn't pulled the trigger to the satisfaction of the customer base. So I suggest grouping together and making your case direct to them as a group.

If you want change, it's better to be proactive and plan a way to convey your concerns. And also let them know what you want, and what the consequences will be if change doesn't occur.

I don't mean light torches and brandish the pitchforks. I mean a constructive, well-thought-out plan where everyone takes time over the course of a scheduled period of days (perhaps a week) to send e-mails and make actual phone calls to both DR and Mattel to let them know you're a fan, but you'rr not happy and you want to see things improved so they'll keep getting your money for the foreseeable future.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Rather than a strike, what I suggest is you all organize a "contact DR and Mattel" day to voice your problems. We all talk about this stuff online and have done so for over 3 years and nothing has changed. No doubt Scott has pleaded his case but upper management hasn't pulled the trigger to the satisfaction of the customer base. So I suggest grouping together and making your case direct to them as a group.

If you want change, it's better to be proactive and plan a way to convey your concerns. And also let them know what you want, and what the consequences will be if change doesn't occur.

I don't mean light torches and brandish the pitchforks. I mean a constructive, well-thought-out plan where everyone takes time over the course of a scheduled period of days (perhaps a week) to send e-mails and make actual phone calls to both DR and Mattel to let them know your a fan, but your not happy and you want to see things improved so they'll keep getting your money for the foreseeable future.
    What a great idea!

That sounds proactive and more doable than a strike does, for sure.