Thread: MOTUC Display Backdrop: Filmation Castle Grayskull!

MOTUC Display Backdrop: Filmation Castle Grayskull! (Printout Added!)

Since Mattel doesn't have plans to make a MOTUC playset anytime soon, I decided to make my own backdrops for my Classics displays. Originally, I wanted to produce these as fully sculpted diorama/playsets but that's a huge project that will take time, money, and the help of a friend who's a lot better at sculpting than me. For now, I'm illustrating the backdrops on cardboard as a rough guide of the scale and look that I'd like to see for the Classics figures!

My first backdrop is Castle Grayskull. I went with the Filmation style that I remember most from my childhood but took into consideration some suggestions that fans here have requested. I included things like...

1. 8x11" Jawbridge so that He-Man can enter the castle while riding Battle Cat.
    2. A larger window opening so that you can see the Sorceress peeking through.
    3. Enough space on the towers for a figure to stand or even attach a Point Dread add-on.
    4. No electronics!

Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress. I'm planning on painting the castle details, and trimming down the excess cardboard around it, later on.

motuc-castle01.jpg

motuc-castle02.jpg

motuc-castle03a.jpg

motuc-collection01.jpg

Also, here's the Printable version:

Castle Grayskull Backdrop, Printable Version, 4MB

Well, I hope you enjoy the pics...I'm thinking of doing Snake Mountain, the Fright Zone, or the Crystal Castle next!
    Last edited by Micro-Man; April 14, 2012 at 09:21pm.

Snappy Threader
    Those are pretty cool for sure!!!

If you can let us get copies of it or bigger photos, please make all of them.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

NICE WORK!!! I love it!

Thanks, guys...I recently bought some new cardboard backings to use for the next set of backdrops! Right now, I'm working out the proper size for Snake Mountain and the Crystal Castle. Full scale versions would be ridiculously tall (Just imagine fitting a MOTUC figure in the snake's mouth or making the crystal opening large enough for She-Ra to fly through with Swiftwind!) so I'm going to go with a smaller "playset-scale".

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    If you can let us get copies of it or bigger photos, please make all of them.
    That sounds cool, I'm working on creating a clean lineart image of my Castle Grayskull backdrop in a printable format. It's a large illustration (About 29x27"), so it will require taking it to a specialty printing service. If it's something that members here would like to use, though, I'd be flattered to see my backdrops used in collection displays!

You can make one smaller for backgraund but you can make some parts like SM entrance, SM snake mouth etc, that way you would get many SM backgrounds for your collection.

Ok, I was able to clean up the image and make a printable version of my backdrop! Here it is...

Castle Grayskull Backdrop: 4 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    You can make one smaller for backgraund but you can make some parts like SM entrance, SM snake mouth etc, that way you would get many SM backgrounds for your collection.
    I'd like to work on some cool interior backdrops, like the Sorceress' room in Grayskull, Skeletor's throne room in Snake Mountain, or one of the main halls in the Royal Palace. Since I don't have individual display areas set aside for my figures yet, I'll focus on the big "playset" backdrops and go from there. I already started outlining Snake Mountain, it's around 35x40". Again, I'm using the Filmation design as a base...

Thanks for sharing it, if you don┤t mind I will color it and then I will send you the link.

That would be awesome, Ulisses...I really appreciate it! I was going to wait until I had a fully painted backdrop but right now, it will be a while before I can get that together. So instead, I want to keep working on new backdrops and post printable versions!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your color version of Castle Grayskull!

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Thank you so much for the printable version! I'm looking into getting a hot knife for sculpting foam, and I think, instead of working on props for cosplay, my first project will have to be turning your Castle Grayskull design into a 3D display piece.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

I finally had a chance to paint and finish my Castle Grayskull backdrop! While adding the final touches to the paint job, I had the sudden idea to make the window and towers into workable display areas. I used a couple of MOTUC white mailer boxes to make the platforms for the figures. It's cool to finally see the Sorceress peeking out of her window! Here are the final results...

I hope you like it, it was a fun project to work on. Hopefully, I can do a similar display for Snake Mountain, the Crystal Castle, or the Fright Zone!

That looks totally awesome!
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Such a simple concept but your Castle Grayskull looks great and i love the size!

The other three are more difficult as they would be at least three times the size when it should be FILMATION/200X accurate.... don┤t you think?

It's absolutely beautiful,this the best idea to display MOTUC figures for guys like me who don't have much space on the shelves.
    Where are they? Where are your friends now? Tell me about the loneliess of good, He-Man. Is it equal to the loneliness of evil?

Heroic Warrior
    That looks fantastic!