Thread: Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon?

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar

Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon?

Which do you think is better Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon? And why?
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

I do enjoy the Flash Gordon movie but I think Buck Rogers is better. Though I didn't like the tv show.

My experience with Buck Rogers XXVC was the TSR role playing game. It was a really interesting universe with some great art. I thought the rocket ships, worlds, and technology were intriguing. I also enjoyed the old EA game for the Sega Genesis.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Hmmm...well I'm going to be comparing this on 2 incarnations of each property that I enjoy: The Buck Rogers in the 25th Century television series and the Flash Gordon movie.

I really like both of them. I loved the tv show as a kid and even owned one of the playsets, the Starfighter Command Center, because as a dumb kid of 6 or 7 years old I though that the space ship and figures were included in the box. I even remember my parents telling me that they weren't and I didn't believe them because there they were pictured on the box! Boy, was I disappointed when I got home and opened it up.

I loved the show because I guess it reminded me of Star Wars back then. I love the show now because of it's cheesy portrayal of the future. It seemed like the 70's never ended even 500 years into the future with disco music, spandex, and roller skates still in widespread rotation.

Now, I liked the Flash Gordon movie also because of it's cheesiness but especially because of the Queen soundtrack. I loved it then and I still love it now. The costumes in the movie were also great.

I own both properties on dvd but if you twisted my arm and forced me to choose I'm going to say the Buck Rogers TV show. It just brings back so many memories of me being lost in my sci-fi fantasy world...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Buck Rogers = Erin Gray in tight spandex outfits = WIN!

For the record, I don't have anything against Ornella Muti.
    Last edited by Bonehead; March 6, 2014 at 10:57pm. Reason: spell check!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Though I liked the Buck Rogers 70's TV show, Gordon will always be my favorite. Our local paper carried the strip when I was a wee lad, and every Sunday my mother would read me that and the Phantom strips. The only really good version I've seen of the character outside the strip, though, was the Filmation series and movie from the 70's. A really great sci-fi movie is waiting here for someone to do right.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Here is my take on it:
    The Flash Gordon mythos is better. Mongo and the surrounding characters are more interesting. Ming is a much better villain than anything in the Buck Rogers universe. However, Buck Rogers, especially the comic book WWI vet, is a better good guy. And Wilma (Erin Gray!) is much better than Dale. I'm a fan of both and hope one of them get a movie or cartoon reboot soon.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

I didn't get the Gil Gerard show on DVD yet. It's on my TO-DO list.
    It would also be interesting to see the Flash Gordon movie again after so long.

But I'm going with Twinky.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I'm not sure really. I'm not familiar with either character in anything but their TV incarnations.
    In which case Erin Gray definitely has my undivided attention.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"