Thread: Queen Sumana of the Arcadians

Hybrid View

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar

Queen Sumana of the Arcadians

From Filmation's Season 1 Episode 39 Trouble in Arcadia: Queen Sumana rules the beautiful hidden city of Arcadia, where men are kept underground as slaves to mine arcalite, the mineral that fuels the invisible "power dome" force field that protects the city from outsiders, and only women are citizens allowed above ground.

I think her character looks great, and doesn't appear to be a difficult figure: a regular female body repaint, and a rare opportunity to reuse Queen Marlena's dress. I think the only new parts needed would be a new head and her characteristic dress sleeve extensions.

I think her throne is awesome too; too bad diorama accessories are out of the question.

A 2-pack of her together with Ananda (the slave master—the only man admitted above ground—and her future husband and king) could be a nice idea:

Regular Arcadians [see attachments] could make for a good and easy "army/population builder" 2-pack: a citizen/soldier woman and a slave miner (with two heads each for variation). And, just to complete the picture of characters that appear in this episode, there's also the Arcadian mistress of arms, who almost melted down He-Man's sword at Arcadia's foundry! Lastly, I've included a shot of an Arcadian airship, which has a simple design that, nonetheless, I've always thought looks pretty nice (again, too bad vehicles are also out of the question).
    Attached Images Attached Images

meh, nope.

No thanks. Her arrogance and her hatred of men really got on my nerves. Sending the crown prince to the slave pits is an act of war and she didn't seem to care. I'm passing this one.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    No thanks. Her arrogance and her hatred of men really got on my nerves. Sending the crown prince to the slave pits is an act of war and she didn't seem to care. I'm passing this one.
    Oh, well... Didn't Granamyr's arrogance and hatred of humans also get on your nerves, and his sending He-Man and Teela to cut down the Skytree just so the old dragon could appease his jelousy towards the only being older than himself and finally contemplate the oldest tree's wood burn in his fireplace?

Sorry, but I find your argument ridiculous. Sumana was supposed to be the "bad guy" of the story, in the first place. And in any case, the Arcadian women's prejudices against men were: (a) a way to highlight real-world gender inequalities, by completely turning the tables and placing women in the role men have played throughout most history, (b) not entirely wanton and gratuitous, in the sense that their attitudes served a "purpose" in Arcadian society (Sumana explains it in the episode—you may not like her explanation, but she didn't view Arcadian men as inferior out of pure "hatred", as you suggest). Plus she redeemed herself at the end of the episode, admitting that her previous views and prejudices were misguided.

Although, thankfully, I concede that at least you've tried to argue something—unlike baronterror's very thoughtful previous remark.

Besides, isn't it the rule in this section that comments are for support only, or has that changed?

I'd like to see this figure eventually.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!