Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Three Stooges Movie

New Three Stooges Movie

You guys going to see it? I'm a Stooge fanatic, so I plan on seeing it this weekend.

http://voices.yahoo.com/attention-th...-11205696.html
    Who has the Power?

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Yeah, I will probably watch it this weekend or next.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Same here, me an my son are HUGE fans of their classic shows.

Master of New Adventures!
    I wouldn't miss this for anything.

My twelve-year old Alex is a big Stooges fan and at first he said he wasn't interested in seeing it because it's not the real Stooges. Seeing the trailer changed all that for him and now he's pumped and so am I. I think it will be good for him to see a film in which violence is defined as a boink on the forehead and a couple of fingers poked in the eyes as opposed to offing Nazi zombies with rocket propelled grenades.

I cringe every time I see the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    What don't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I wouldn't miss this for anything.

My twelve-year old Alex is a big Stooges fan and at first he said he wasn't interested in seeing it because it's not the real Stooges.
    That's how I was at first. Now I can't wait.

The article linked above makes a good point about that.
    Last edited by Merman's Head; April 13, 2012 at 01:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Who has the Power?

same here.. i love the old stuff. but this just looks downright stupid.. and then to top it off.. snooki is in it also

just like a kardashian making some cameo.. UGH!
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

agreed...I LOVE LOVe LOVE the classic bits and shows ..but i hate movies where they take classic characters and thrust them into "modern times". Also not a fan of the Farrelly brothers either....
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

They're doing impressions of the Three Stooges out of context with modern pop culture. They just shoved them in there. And the jokes are horrible.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm with the cringers. Everytime I see the commercials for this movie it's like nails on the chalkboard. It really is just three guys doing bad impressions of them. They don't have the real Stooges' timing, wit, or charm. All this week AMC's been showing classic Stooges marathons late night and I've watched every night. If the studio that produced this movie really had an itch to make money off the Stooges' name they should've done us all a favor and just announced that they'd show the classic Stooges' shorts in theatres nationwide. They'd make more money off that than this junk they're releasing today. You can't just write bad jokes, slap the Stooges' brand on it, and call it comedy.

I'll give it a chance. The trailer were Moe slaps Ronnie from Jersey Shore was pretty funny. I like that Larry David is a nun at the orphanage. Sounds funny.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

The point you're all missing is that most orgers are no longer in the entertainment industry's target demographic sweet spot -- 12 to 25. If you doubt this, look at the top 10 2012 box office films: http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2011&p=.htm Six, maybe seven are aimed at 12 to 25. Same for 2010: http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2011&p=.htm

(Sorry, guys. Wait 'til you're my age. No one in Hollywood will even care if you're breathing. ) No studio exec cares a great deal whether 30 somethings (or -- HORRORS! -- 40 somethings) think the Stooges film -- or other films -- is a travesty and will stay away. Now granted there are a number of teens out there that have seen some of the classic Stooges on TV, but most are newbies and will give it a shot.

None of this is to say we shouldn't be voicing our opinion -- which I'll reserve until I see the film. I'm just saying it doesn't matter much except to us...and maybe that's good enough.

It will be interesting to see the box office revenues.

I don't see how this is the same demographic as the Twilight and Hunger Games crowd. This is another Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks type cash in, using an old popular idea today's 20 somethings have no idea about but inserting it with modern pop culture. Snookie is talking to Papa Smurf, I must see this movie!

It's more likely aimed at 30-40 something parents who will take their kids to see this because they saw it as kids.

You know, after an unscientific survey among Alex's friends, I take back what I said about children not knowing about the Stooges. He tells me they all know about the Stooges and are excited to see the film. Same for my nine-year old Zoe.

I think it's just that they're not purists, like a lot of us.

I agree with SCB on Twilight, but HG was definitely huge with Alex' twelve-year old friends. In addition, they devoured the novels.

Heroic Warrior
    Half the movies made for teens or tweens these days are stolen from old TV shows or movies, then they give it a 21st century spin, and in the commercials for it they always say "It's X for a new generation". I always take that as "Hey, anybody ever 25, FU!" I mean, seriously, if anybody in high school wants to see The Three Stooges or Footloose or The Karate Kid or anything else they steal from our generation, then go rent a DVD of it. But then Hollywood would be making the big bucks off of that. Hollywood doesn't want to appeal to anybody over a certain age, because when people get to a certain age they actually start to care about what they spend money on. They're more selective. Teens have all the disposable money that their parents give them, so they don't care. They'll go see any ol' junk. What do they care? Mom and dad will just give them more money to see something else. That's the real reason Hollywood loves them. I'm telling you, if parents all over the country stopped giving their kids money, Hollywood and a few dozen other industries would shut down. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Maybe we'd all be better off. That coming from the guy with a Curly avatar.

This.

Mostly what made my wife and I cringe was the reaction of the idiot kids behind us that were so amazed by that Snooki beast. YAY! Look! Today's popular thing! Cool!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    This.

Mostly what made my wife and I cringe was the reaction of the idiot kids behind us that were so amazed by that Snooki beast. YAY! Look! Today's popular thing! Cool!
    Not to get too far off thread, but last week I somehow managed to watch an entire eleven minutes of Jersey Shore without grabbing Kim's knitting needles and ramming them into my eyes.

It always ticks me off when I don't understand something and for a long time I haven't understood how or why Jersey Shore is so successful. I thought I'd vomit watching one of the guys -- his name (thankfully) escapes me -- sitting in mounds of junk in a bed I wouldn't allow my Yorkie to get near.

But then last night I heard a very interesting analysis. The commentator said she believes the reason these series are so popular is because of a very calculated move on the part of the producers: to paraphrase, "they take untalented, sleazeballs and make them into big stars with the idea that idiots sitting at home watching think 'If these sleazeballs can become big stars then maybe I can, too.'"

I hate to admit it, but it's a pretty clever idea and no one even went broke playing to the lowest common denominator.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    At least it can't be anywhere as bad as casting Cedric The Entertainer to play Ralph Kramden. Geez, did anyone watch that new Honeymooners film?

Quote Originally Posted by grinningidiot View Post
    Half the movies made for teens or tweens these days are stolen from old TV shows or movies, then they give it a 21st century spin, and in the commercials for it they always say "It's X for a new generation". I always take that as "Hey, anybody ever 25, FU!" I mean, seriously, if anybody in high school wants to see The Three Stooges or Footloose or The Karate Kid or anything else they steal from our generation, then go rent a DVD of it. But then Hollywood would be making the big bucks off of that. Hollywood doesn't want to appeal to anybody over a certain age, because when people get to a certain age they actually start to care about what they spend money on. They're more selective. Teens have all the disposable money that their parents give them, so they don't care. They'll go see any ol' junk. What do they care? Mom and dad will just give them more money to see something else. That's the real reason Hollywood loves them. I'm telling you, if parents all over the country stopped giving their kids money, Hollywood and a few dozen other industries would shut down. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Maybe we'd all be better off. That coming from the guy with a Curly avatar.
    That pretty much explains Hollywood's obsession with today's youth. Adopting the 'don't trust anyone over 30' mentality to who they cater to in media these days. (Of course, in some cases, they may aim lower than 30, but you get the idea.)

Sure Hunger Games is holding off the Stooges this weekend. She's got a bow and arrow. What have the Stooges got? A poke in the eye and a hammer on the head.

Saw It

Saw the movie yesterday. It wasn't Gone with the Wind but I enjoyed it very much. I'm as big a stooge fan as you can be and I really liked the movie.
    Who has the Power?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I don't see how this is the same demographic as the Twilight and Hunger Games crowd. This is another Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks type cash in, using an old popular idea today's 20 somethings have no idea about but inserting it with modern pop culture. Snookie is talking to Papa Smurf, I must see this movie!

It's more likely aimed at 30-40 something parents who will take their kids to see this because they saw it as kids.
    Latest stat is that 52% of the weekend audience was under 25. http://in.news.yahoo.com/hunger-game...164147234.html

I'm hearing some early Oscar buzz for this film.

I'm hearing some early Oscar buzz for this film.
    I'll respectfully offer my opinion that I didn't see anything Oscar-worthy in it. I'm thinking Oscar-wise it's Harry Potter-ish -- will make an absolute fortune and break a lot of box office records but will be Oscar-snubbed. It's true Potter received almost a dozen (nine, I think) nominations, but never got a win. I believe some of HP's nominations were deserved, but in what category would the nominations for HG be? Surely not its derivitive script? Surely no one will compare its direction to the brilliance of Cameron's AVATAR? Acting? Fair, but Oscar-grade? Come on...

I suppose someone could imagine a nomination for special effects but does anyone really believe a dress on fire and a couple of overgrown Rottweilers romping through a forest are going to walk away with the golden boy statuette? I don't think so. Kudos to its popularity and also for the book adding to young adults' interest in reading, which I highly applaud. But an Oscar?

Again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 16, 2012 at 01:35am.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'll respectfully offer my opinion that I didn't see anything Oscar-worthy in it. I'm thinking Oscar-wise it's Harry Potter-ish -- will make an absolute fortune and break a lot of box office records but will be Oscar-snubbed. It's true Potter received almost a dozen (nine, I think) nominations, but never got a win. I believe some of HP's nominations were deserved, but in what category would the nominations for HG be? Surely not its derivitive script? Surely no one will compare its direction to the brilliance of Cameron's AVATAR? Acting? Fair, but Oscar-grade? Come on...

I suppose someone could imagine a nomination for special effects but does anyone really believe a dress on fire and a couple of overgrown Rottweilers romping through a forest are going to walk away with the golden boy statuette? I don't think so. Kudos to its popularity and also for the book adding to young adults' interest in reading, which I highly applaud. But an Oscar?

Again, just my opinion.
    I'm inclined to agree. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit (as I did most of the Potter series), but I wouldn't really consider it Oscar-worthy - maybe for an Art Direction nom, but not best picture. And while I thought it was extremely well-cast, I don't see any of the roles really being award winners. Nothing against the movie, though.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."