Thread: Best Buy Begins to Downsize!!!

Best Buy Begins to Downsize!!!

Just got the word that Best Buy is going to trim the fat: approx. 42 stores will be closing and having some stock reallocated to nearby 'surviving' stores, but this also means some clearance and deep discounts! So check the link to see if there's a store near you and hope you all find some deals!!! PEACE!

http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=24...036&highlight=

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    ALl I can say is that it serves them right. After how they treated their staff and turned their back on customer loyalty, they deserve to go down in flames.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Do they really do clearance sales? I recently heard how they've been trying to discourage 'devil' customers who take advantage of discounts and such.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. They've been showing up on "Brands in Trouble" lists for about two years now. Amazon has been blowing them out of the water, and the debacle at Christmas didn't help public perception much.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

No bueno for me.

I love Best Buy. I spend way too much money there. I've been a Premiere Silver member there for the past couple years. Luckily, none of them in my area are closing.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I too am a Premiere Silver member for the second year in a row, I had NO problems at christmas...got some GREAT deals both from the site and the store and the best buy by me has great customer service and dare I say it, their staff actually knows a few things...which is amazing because I've been to a few elsewhere where the staff was clueless. Lucky for me, no closures in Wisconsin, although I do like me some deep discounts (ala the ones I got at Circuit City a couple years ago and Hollywood Video as well)

I've had good experiences with Best Buy, personally, and I'd sure miss it if I couldn't run there to get this or that when I needed it.

As for the Christmas thing, for those who didn't hear about it, Best Buy sold a lot of stuff at a deep discount and informed customers mere days before Christmas that they couldn't fulfill the orders.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I've had good experiences with Best Buy, personally, and I'd sure miss it if I couldn't run there to get this or that when I needed it.

As for the Christmas thing, for those who didn't hear about it, Best Buy sold a lot of stuff at a deep discount and informed customers mere days before Christmas that they couldn't fulfill the orders.
    That would explain why I had no problems at christmas.....I only bought in store pick up stuff and the store price matched the site so I did it that way. Hadn't heard about the shipping delays....that would be a PR nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by CreamCheeseAlchemy View Post
    Do they really do clearance sales? I recently heard how they've been trying to discourage 'devil' customers who take advantage of discounts and such.
    No, what they did was mark their items back up to the MSRP and then make them down from that. In fact, they aren't even really on sale, it is just movies and video games on sale, because the tvs and computers will be shipped to other stores. Oh, but Micro SD cards are on sale for $1 off.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    That would explain why I had no problems at christmas.....I only bought in store pick up stuff and the store price matched the site so I did it that way. Hadn't heard about the shipping delays....that would be a PR nightmare!
    They didn't even apologize over it, they just said this is what it is and that was all.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; April 17, 2012 at 02:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

HD figures on youtube
    Never shopped there In my life. But I can't help but feel sorry for the people that will be out of a job. That's always tough.

I heard about this on AOTS on G4 and lucky my store in my area is not closing so alls good. I see why they have to close some stores though.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Heroic Warrior
    Best Buy was ready to dance on Circuit City's grave, but soon Amazon and Walmart will be dancing on Best Buy's. And it doesn't really bother me. Their "sale" prices can always be found elsewhere, their stores are a mess, and the staff has always been pretty useless.

Their site-to-store ordering system rivals Digital River in awfulness. I used it 3 or 4 times and after being texted that my orders were ready for pick-up, I got to the store and they could not find my order every single time. Multiple store locations in different cities. Those "Must Die" parody bumper stickers are right.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I have no use for Best Buy anymore. I feel like I rarely find what I'm looking for, and when I do, it's overpriced. Most of my DVD/CD/game purchases in the past few years have been at Target, Amazon, or Gamestop (I used to be able to take advantage of a discount there, but not anymore.)

Stinks for people who rely on them/like them, but I can honestly say it won't make too much of a difference to me.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Never shopped there In my life. But I can't help but feel sorry for the people that will be out of a job. That's always tough.
    I don't. The signs were obvious of what was going on there. Plus, employees have the choice to either transfer or take a severance package, which pays them based on how many years they have been with the company.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I shop there every once in a while - bought most of my tech stuff there back when I actually had a budget but that was a bit longer ago than a couple years. Most stores of this type have moved out of my area long ago. South Kansas City is a dead zone when it comes to retail right now. I will be sorry to see them go if they don't turn it around.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

The Best Buys by me don't have near the selection they used to, so it doesn't surprise me.