Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision To Be Made Next Month Regarding Director?

Decision To Be Made Next Month Regarding Director?

This is from The Wrap (a legit entertainment trade):

He-Man Film ‘Masters of the Universe’ Director Short-List Includes ‘Lego Movie’ Editor (Exclusive)

Harald Zwart, Chris McKay and Mike Cahill (“Another Earth”) are in contention to direct the movie for Sony and Escape Artists

As Sony Pictures and Escape Artists scramble to get their He-Man movie “Masters of the Universe” off the ground, three directors have emerged as frontrunners for the high-profile job, including Mike Cahill, Chris McKay and Harald Zwart, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Jon M. Chu was previously attached to direct the film, which is based on the classic 1980s animated TV series. No deals are in place and a studio insider cautions that other directors are still in the mix.

Of the four mentioned above, Zwart makes the most sense for the gig, as he directed Sony’s reboot of “The Karate Kid,” which grossed an impressive $359 million worldwide. A studio favorite who previously directed Sony’s “Pink Panther 2,” Zwart also has experience making big-budget, VFX-heavy movies, having directed “Mortal Instruments: City of Bones” for Screen Gems, which is owned by Sony.

Cahill would be an intriguing choice, as he’s made his mark in Hollywood with low-budget, sci-fi-themed dramas such as “Another Earth” and “I Origins,” both of which were bought by Fox Searchlight out of Sundance. “Masters of the Universe” would represent a major leap for Cahill in terms of scope and budget, though he has proved he can create snazzy visuals with minimal funds.

McKay, believe it or not, has the most momentum despite the fact that he has yet to direct a studio movie. McKay served as the editor of “The Lego Movie,” as well as its animation supervisor/co-director. He is also one of the key creative forces behind Adult Swim’s hit series “Robot Chicken.”

Last month, a blog reported that the “Masters of the Universe” gig was between Joe Cornish, Rian Johnson, Andy Muschietti, “The Croods” directors Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders, and “The Lego Movie” directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Those names, which popped up on tracking boards across Hollywood, proved to be inaccurate.

Terry Rossio (“The Lone Ranger”) wrote the most recent draft of “Masters of the Universe,” which is being produced by Escape Artists principals Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch. Set on Eternia, the story follows a blond warrior named Prince Adam who turns into the heroic He-Man and battles a villain named Skeletor out to conquer Castle Grayskull.

Mattel is also involved with the movie, as its execs Julia Pistor and David Voss will executive produce on behalf of the company. Sony execs Hannah Minghella and DeVon Franklin will oversee the project for the studio, which is expected to make a decision next month.
    http://www.thewrap.com/man-film-mast...tor-exclusive/

We're getting very close, methinks.

EDIT: A guy from Variety has also just tweeted that Jeff Wadlow (Kick Ass 2) is on the list, too.

I would be happy with any of these, apart from the guy who directed Karate Kid, mostly because he also directed Pink Panther 2 and Mortal Instruments (which was a colossal failure in all aspects). But yeah, we should find out by next month. Then hopefully it’s full steam ahead.

EDIT #2: The Variety guy posted that a decision might come next week. At least I think he was referring to that.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 26, 2014 at 07:42pm.

I think this movie will finally happen lol , because i don't think any of These directors say "no", you can not understand Joe or Ryan or the Lego guys not accepting but these "New" directors are not able to refuse, They would be a really stupid guys if they say no.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I read an article yesterday posted on Variety about how Sony is too reliant on Spider-Man and needs more franchises of its own. Well, MOTU has got the potential, which I’m guessing is exactly how Sony sees it.

But yeah, amazingly, I think this is it. We're getting a new MOTU movie. Of course, now I've just jinxed it. I just hope that the Karate Kid director doesn't get the gig. I would be fine with any of the others.

It would be great for this to FINALLY become a reality. I just hope a movie can live up to all this built up anticipation.
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Peekablue, Perfuma
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation: Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    It will likely get rushed through.
    ..it will make money as long as it is called Masters of the Universe.

..but, OOH OOOHH, they could get Michael Bay to direct.
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; February 27, 2014 at 10:55pm.

This was also picked up on Dark Horizons. http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/310...-he-man-reboot
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I hope they make the right decision and choose the best director for the job not just whose the cheapest or whose diary is empty.

But we've been here before - many times. I'll only get excited once the movie gets green lit and we get an official press release with movie release date.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    I'll only get excited once I've seen it - and judged whether it was actually a MOTU movie - or just Thor without a beard......

I'm very happy to read this. i don't care who 's direct the movie : I only hope they do it right this time and i really hope they make it into a trilogy as lord of the rings or series of movies

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gucky View Post
    I'm very happy to read this. i don't care who 's direct the movie : I only hope they do it right this time and i really hope they make it into a trilogy as lord of the rings or series of movies
    Well you should care who sits in the directors chair. The director is the (metaphotical) guy who drives the car. Would you climb into a bus driven by someone who has no real idea where to go and what to do?
    Not to blame anyone but "Pink Panther 2", "City of Bones" and "Karate Kid Remake" are not movies i would classify as quality entertainment.
    Combined with a script from the "Lone Ranger" author, my expectations for this project are lower then ever...

I like the idea of the guy who’s done indie films (Mike Cahill) or the editor of The LEGO Movie and director of Robot Chicken episodes (Chris McKay). It’s interesting that the Wrap article says that McKay has the most momentum. I hope one of these two (or someone equally similar) get's the gig. I just don't like the idea of Harald Zwart (The Karate Kid, The Pink Panther 2 and Mortal Instruments) getting the job. He just seems like a typical "studio hack". Studios love them because they don't ask questions and just point and shoot. Mike Cahill and Chris McKay (especially this one) seem like they will (at least try to) put their own stamp on it. I much prefer directors like that, directors who have a voice of their own.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    None of these choices bold well for MOTU. The Karate Kid reboot made money, but it was an boring, predictable, unwatchable film. I think I fell asleep twice.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

True true, before he will direct the movie, he should i hope he will take a closer look at the toy/comic line big fan of not..... not what a director did with the 1ste g.i joe movie

I really don't understand how a director gets a name. I mean before "LOTR" only a reduced fandom was aware of Peter Jackson; before "Batman Begins" or "Dark Knight", not many people considered Christopher Nolan a genius filmmaker even though he directed "Memento", more a cult classic. WB & Legendary chose Gareth Edwards and entitled him to direct a multimillion dollar movie like the upcoming Godzilla with only an indie sci-fi film released with practically no box office. I feel quite sad for Jose Padilha having such a cold box office with Robocop remake.

I think that is not the same era where a director like Richard Donner, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas or James Cameron pushed the boundaries of practical or digital effects for the most efficient way to tell a story; with the proper amount of money and good supervision, any director can get spectacular on screen effects.
    The important part here is that director picks up script and wants to tell a story beyond the special effects expertise or on screen wonder. Audiences are now used to watch hyper detailed worlds destruction, super hero battles and giant transforming robots; a MOTU movie would be a success if may capture an audience by a compelling story.

Having said that, I wished that MOTU movie would have been directed by Gore Vervinsky, Sam Raimi, Alex Proyas, Guillermo Del Toro, Francis Lawerence or Rupert Wyatt.
    I must admit that I'm intrigued about Mike Cahill, since being an indie could use this movie as a method to then gain creativity freedom in his upcoming projects if MOTU movie ends up being a success. He has my vote from that list. He probably would cast Brit Marling in any role as well.

A few years ago I watched "Outlander", which I think that is a great B-movie from the 00's, and I always wanted to see more from his director, Howard McCain, but that was his last movie since 2008.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I really don't understand how a director gets a name. I mean before "LOTR" only a reduced fandom was aware of Peter Jackson; before "Batman Begins" or "Dark Knight", not many people considered Christopher Nolan a genius filmmaker even though he directed "Memento", more a cult classic. WB & Legendary chose Gareth Edwards and entitled him to direct a multimillion dollar movie like the upcoming Godzilla with only an indie sci-fi film released with practically no box office. I feel quite sad for Jose Padilha having such a cold box office with Robocop remake.
    Same here. A lot of people don't stop and think in the same way you just did.

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post

I think that is not the same era where a director like Richard Donner, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas or James Cameron pushed the boundaries of practical or digital effects for the most efficient way to tell a story; with the proper amount of money and good supervision, any director can get spectacular on screen effects.
    The important part here is that director picks up script and wants to tell a story beyond the special effects expertise or on screen wonder. Audiences are now used to watch hyper detailed worlds destruction, super hero battles and giant transforming robots; a MOTU movie would be a success if may capture an audience by a compelling story.

Having said that, I wished that MOTU movie would have been directed by Gore Vervinsky, Sam Raimi, Alex Proyas, Guillermo Del Toro, Francis Lawerence or Rupert Wyatt.
    I must admit that I'm intrigued about Mike Cahill, since being an indie could use this movie as a method to then gain creativity freedom in his upcoming projects if MOTU movie ends up being a success. He has my vote from that list. He probably would cast Brit Marling in any role as well.

A few years ago I watched "Outlander", which I think that is a great B-movie from the 00's, and I always wanted to see more from his director, Howard McCain, but that was his last movie since 2008.
    Completely agree with all this. You also forgot the guy who's directing Jurassic Park 4. He's literally directed one film, an indie film, and now he's taking on the reins of the newest instalment of one of the most beloved franchises. Studio thinking has (thankfully) changed in the last decade and a half, I would say. You’ll find that more often than not, it’s the directors who aren’t “studio directors” who are the most creative and unique. That's why I don't want Harald Zwart. He fits the studio mould perfectly, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up getting the job. He’s clearly got a very good relationship not only with Sony Pictures but also with Devon Franklin, as he also oversaw The Karate Kid.

I always look at the director first and foremost. Also, I actually really liked the new Robocop film more than I thought I would. You could tell right off the bat that the director and studio were fighting a lot, but the director still managed to get some of his own voice through. I think that's one of the reasons why I liked it. It wasn't just another soulless Hollywood remake, and that was because of the director.
    Last edited by Krueger; February 28, 2014 at 12:45pm.

Saw this on the Nerdist. Hopefully THIS TIME is finally OUR TIME!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Goddard would prolly charge less , anyway I found his directing good
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

I am looking forward to this, but am optimistically cautious. There are some things that will keep me from seeing it in a theater, but I will probably go simply because it's called "Masters of the Universe."
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I just have to say once again that I hope Harald Zwart is not named director. From the very beginning, a director like Zwart getting the job has always been my worst fear. A studio director, a safe choice who would deliver the film on time and on budget, but who has a very low ceiling. Honestly, I really, really hope he doesn’t get the gig. I would much rather an up and comer with some flair. We will get that with either Chris Mckay or Mike Cahill, but certainly not with Zwart.

Devon Franklin said recently on Twitter that we will get an announcement soon. My guess is they already have their director.

Wow… except for the Lego director, pretty mediocre choices…
    Oh well…
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Whomever the director I think we'll be pretty damn excited when they yell "Cut, and that's a wrap". At the end of the day we just want a movie lol.

Let's hope they find someone who is capable but they better make a movie that is true to the franchise.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Me-Han View Post
    Whomever the director I think we'll be pretty damn excited when they yell "Cut, and that's a wrap". At the end of the day we just want a movie lol.
    Speak for yourself. Thank you.

I want Hollywood to stop pumping out 'good enough to sell' movies.

I have dreamed about a masters movie a long time, to settle for no less.

McKay will be directing Lego 2. Not sure if this means he's out of the running. http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/312...e-lego-movie-2