Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Stinkor Video Review by Pixel Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    They should have cut the accessories altogether.

They should have just released the accessories with the highlights and cut the figure.

Widget
    I have to say, I am pretty excited!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    On the forearm issue: I just heard back from Scott. This is what he found out:

"I checked with design and it actually was not a mistake but a deliberate way to differentiate Stinkor due to the heavy use of shared parts. Design discussed as a team and found that you could swap the gloves to create a slightly different look. They wanted to give Stinkor something extra since he is basically Mer-Manís head on Beastmanís body and Mekaneckís armor (even though we havenít done Mek yet but you know what I mean!~). Much like painting Sorceressí wings blue this was one way of making the toy pop a bit and be different on shelf. For reference, we also did this on BG Evil Lynn to much success!"

So official word from Mattel is that this was intentional.

thanks for pointing that out (and for the review, of course)!

honestly, they don't look wrong, just different...and if i'm not wrong the two seams seem to run all over the arms, as actual gloves,
    while on skeletor the lines on fins are interrupted in the middle part.
    that been said in the back card is depicted the prototype with the outward fins and left open hand.

just for curiosity: does the removable red button fit in the hole for the gas tanks? it may be a good way to cover it when mekaneck'll
    be released.

"I checked with design and it actually was not a mistake but a deliberate way to differentiate Stinkor due to the heavy use of shared parts. Design discussed as a team and found that you could swap the gloves to create a slightly different look. They wanted to give Stinkor something extra since he is basically Mer-Manís head on Beastmanís body and Mekaneckís armor (even though we havenít done Mek yet but you know what I mean!~). Much like painting Sorceressí wings blue this was one way of making the toy pop a bit and be different on shelf. For reference, we also did this on BG Evil Lynn to much success!"

Well, it's an interesting design choice because now the fins are only visible from the side or back. Looking at Stinkor from the front, you don't see the fins at all.

Disappointing lack of paint details on the accessories aside (and I can get over this I guess... after all, Man-At-Arms' mace has no paint details and looks fine), Stinkor looks amazeballs! I guess the only accessories that look off to me unpainted are the tanks- as they are attached to armor that bears really good paint highlights. The shield and gun and mask look uniform all solid blue like that, but the tanks bug me the most because of the lack of any sort of paint apps.

Heroic Warrior
    Quite frankly... Stinkor should have 100% beast man arms, according to the cross sell art. And they could have made his feet like the art as well.

Another near-perfect figure. Fisto, Khan, Stinkor... great vintage updates with some modern accessories for those that like that look... that's how every figure shuold be!

Another great review Dan! I LOVE your story about your vintage Stinkor! That's hysterical!! Man that blue really does pop on his accessories! This really is another figure that can be mixed and matched to display anyway you'd like! I love that! It gives everyone an option! Kudos to Mattel and the 4H! Can't wait to get em!!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I can never get enough of these videos, they always help so much in getting me even more pumped for soon to be released figures!

I love this new Stinkor figure, and imagine I will be displaying him with the newer style head. One question i have though, is has anyone else noticed that the pupils of the eyes on the newer head are just plain rectangles, unlike the slits in the vintage head? I don't think they need to be identical, but rectangles don't seem to be very... "organic". Anyone else think this is odd?
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

LOVE Stinkor and plan to display him 3 different ways: vintage look (with shield and no gun or tank), 200X look, and MOC.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Alright then, cool! Interesting way to get him to be different. Good to know it was on purpose, though. Doesn't matter anyway, since the figure still works and that's all that matters.

Anyway, on the subject of highlights on the weapons: Totally agree with the choice. I'll take all the accessory options over the highlights any day.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I thought it might be a design decision. Frankly, I'm behind it. I do think they see a lot of use so some differentiation is nice, while keeping the basic lines of the figure intact.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

One of my favorite characters from anything-ever!

The toy looks fantastic and I can't wait to get a whiff of that "fun!" Here's how I see the accessories, as there seems to be some difference of opinion (which is always cool!):

-Vintage head: his "at rest" and/or scaredy-cat face
    -modern head: menacing look
    -mask: filter (as seen in MYP) (he didn't have hoses on his first adventure!)
    -tanks: oxygen, filters through his armor into the mouthpiece, which has an upgradable...
    -air filter: suitable for battle, when Stinkor really lets loose!
    -gas rifle: loaded with refillable gas canisters, Stinkor can blast his foes with concentrated jets of his odiferous stench!
    -shield: well, it's a shield.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    They should have cut the accessories altogether.
    Uh, no. Those accessories are what makes this figure cool. WIthout the extra head, tank and gas mask, he would just be Buzz-Off all over again.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Uh, no. Those accessories are what makes this figure cool. WIthout the extra head, tank and gas mask, he would just be Buzz-Off all over again.
    lol dont take SCB for real lol
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Dan, that's the greatest review you've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    In your second post, your seeing exactly what I'm talking about.

We're talking basic anatomy here, which has been consistent whoever's arm we're looking at; I only used Skeletor's forearms as an example as they show what I'm talking about the best (no wristbands makes it easier to see the full flow of the musculature). Put you arm in the that posiition, turn the hand so the back is away from the body (neutral pose for an action figure). You will notice that that the bulge of the muscle on the outside of the arm looks different than the one on the inside. On the outside the curve is a bit smoother all the way down, as opposed to the inside where it curves more sharply inward and then goes almost straight to the wrist. The biggest part of the bulge on the outside is usually a bit lower on the forearm than on the inside, as well. It's not as easy to see with the "gloves" Stinky wears, but that sharper curve inward I mentioned is there, and it's on the outside of the forearm, not the inside. It definitely looks like the forearms are on the wrong side. I seriously doubt the Fab Four intended them that way, as they could doubtless explain the specific musculature and look of the arm far better than I right of the top of their heads.
    I think this image could helps to visualize what you mean about the inner bulge

skelly_forearms.jpg

I'm kind of 'meh' about mattel's explanation of the problem, hope it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoFatato View Post
    I think this image could helps to visualize what you mean about the inner bulge

skelly_forearms.jpg

I'm kind of 'meh' about mattel's explanation of the problem, hope it's true.
    why is it a problem? it was not suppose to be just like skellys arms

I just hope Mattel isn't taking the easy way out, we've had a lot of humanoid-like figures and none of them has ever had reversed forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Quite frankly... Stinkor should have 100% beast man arms, according to the cross sell art. And they could have made his feet like the art as well.

Agreed. He appeared like this in the cross sell, card back art and mini comic!

He had the Beast Man arms complete with wrist bracelets. I think they could have used the new Kobra Khan shins to match the cross sell art...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post

no one freak out, but I agree 100% on the beastman arms

TO be totally accurate Khan shins and Stratos feet but we all know how much people love Stratos' feet... so I'd say Beast Man's feet.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Not different enough.

MAA got the mustache... Fisto got the headband... merman was a COMPLETLEY different look as was Whiplash...

This is basically 'angry stinkor' vs. 'surprised stinkor'

I'm speaking as a vintage purist here... and I'M saying the vintage head wasn't worth redoing...

MAYBE if the 200x one had the gasmask sculpted on or something it could have been justified... but ehhhh not really seeing it.

ESPECIALLY considering all the cool weapons and stuff we lost because of tooling dollars
    A bunch of items and accessories were added....not taken away...so I don't see what the big issue was. They could have gone teh same way as Stratos and give us EXACTLY what we got with the vintage figure, but instead they chose to go above and beyond and give us extra stuff that we vintage purists will just put in a tote for storage. I'm VERY happy.....he will go on display in his vintage toy form as I have done with all my other figures, including the likes of Teela, MAA and Fisto.

Heroic Warrior
    As long as the forearms fit into bicep piece...

But I'm not a fan of those "crazy" decisions of Mattel's design team. Nobody demanded this. They better keep an eye on reversed parts or inferior material instead of altering the awesome sculpt of the 4 HM...

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    http://twernt.net/wp-content/uploads...ch_of_evil.jpg
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg8/s...pg&res=landing

TO be totally accurate Khan shins and Stratos feet but we all know how much people love Stratos' feet... so I'd say Beast Man's feet.
    But Beast Man feet in black, please...
    Last edited by Berserker79; April 17, 2012 at 10:31am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hmmmm.... I think I just found a use for my spare King Carnivus forearms & feet....
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!