Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masters COMIC Cast - Podcast about 2012 MOTU Comics

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Listening right now and enjoying. Regarding the Thundarr aspect, that's something I loved and forgot all about with the Filmation influence. Years later, picking up the very first mini comic in a used bookstore, I was reintroduced to the post-apocalyptic stories which I absolutely fell in love with all over again.

The notion that some highly advanced civilization destroyed itself and the survivors have to band together to fight some evil which still wants take over is so much fun. The marriage of advanced magic and science speaks volumes.
    I love an all inclusive canon!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Listening right now and enjoying. Regarding the Thundarr aspect, that's something I loved and forgot all about with the Filmation influence. Years later, picking up the very first mini comic in a used bookstore, I was reintroduced to the post-apocalyptic stories which I absolutely fell in love with all over again.

The notion that some highly advanced civilization destroyed itself and the survivors have to band together to fight some evil which still wants take over is so much fun. The marriage of advanced magic and science speaks volumes.
    I also enjoyed the Thundarr the Barbarian aspects of the original 4 Alcala mini-comics. Everything was so desolate and there were barely any people around besides the main characters. He-Man's barbaric tribe and Man-At-Arm's technologically savy people were two examples of how people managed to survive the Great Wars. I liked the idea that MAA scavenged various devices or cobbled together machinery and got them working again as new devices such as robots, vehicles, weapons and armor.

It's such a shame that Mattel switched gears right after those first 4 mini-comics to a more medieval setting (the Texeria books) but then again, all of that stuff could co-exist. The medieval society could have been yet another way people survived the Great Wars.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I also enjoyed the Thundarr the Barbarian aspects of the original 4 Alcala mini-comics. Everything was so desolate and there were barely any people around besides the main characters. He-Man's barbaric tribe and Man-At-Arm's technologically savy people were two examples of how people managed to survive the Great Wars. I liked the idea that MAA scavenged various devices or cobbled together machinery and got them working again as new devices such as robots, vehicles, weapons and armor.

It's such a shame that Mattel switched gears right after those first 4 mini-comics to a more medieval setting (the Texeria books) but then again, all of that stuff could co-exist. The medieval society could have been yet another way people survived the Great Wars.
    Yes! During the shift in storytelling, I figured the medieval societies were starting to pop up in places that weren't as destroyed by whatever apocalypse took place. Then I figured, "Okay, this is how it is now..." And then I wondered if Adam had taken over for another He-Man... lol.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Episode 03

This time the gang are discussing Fan Mail and are down one co-host with Jukka not being able to keep the peace.

Will chaos prevail?

Direct link to Episode 03 - Fan Mail [mp3-file]

Duration: 50min
    Good times ahead! Gonna go work out and listen to it tonight!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar

Thundar the true he-man :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Yes! During the shift in storytelling, I figured the medieval societies were starting to pop up in places that weren't as destroyed by whatever apocalypse took place. Then I figured, "Okay, this is how it is now..." And then I wondered if Adam had taken over for another He-Man... lol.
    I fell in love with he-man before any cartoon was thought of and I knew a lot of kids who were like me. I guess there are a group who came after either only getting the toys after the toon or are just younger. I group up on Heavy Metal Mag and Foreign films like Fantastic Planet
    (René Laloux)

So the idea of the world coexisting in SciFi and Fantasy is just fine by me. I just have issues with Filmation "hamming it up"

Thanks to everyone who is listening and supporting us It means the world to us !
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Good work guys, I've really enjoyed listening to all the episodes so far.

Hey Rob, Orko is in the bottom two panels of the first page of the mini. He's even destroying a Horde trooper with magic in the first one.

I agree with your points on the writing of the mini, and I also thought I'd odd when He-man tells the snakemen to "keep running untill you hit the caverns of Rakash". He's only been in Pretenia 5mins and he knows that the sea of Rakash are caverns in this time? That's as strange as King Hsss mentioning the "masters" which according to the bio's MAA came up with this name 5000years later...?

Still it is really nice to have these and I'm not complaining.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE-RO View Post
    Good work guys, I've really enjoyed listening to all the episodes so far.

Hey Rob, Orko is in the bottom two panels of the first page of the mini. He's even destroying a Horde trooper with magic in the first one.

I agree with your points on the writing of the mini, and I also thought I'd odd when He-man tells the snakemen to "keep running untill you hit the caverns of Rakash". He's only been in Pretenia 5mins and he knows that the sea of Rakash are caverns in this time? That's as strange as King Hsss mentioning the "masters" which according to the bio's MAA came up with this name 5000years later...?

Still it is really nice to have these and I'm not complaining.
    He-Man must have been informed by Orko about the former state of the Sea of Rakash when the Masters had a battle with the Snake Men for the Serpents' Ring there (Unless he already knew...not sure if the Sea of Rakash being the former Caverns of Rakash is a secret). It was the time when the Masters had the underwater armor.

As far as the Masters, maybe reading up on Preternia lore is where Duncan got the name from?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Great episode guys (Ep2, not listened to Ep3 yet) and nice to hear Dan on on the show.
    Ha that chainmail in the new DC HM's furry shorts is totally to protect his goods its just what I though as Rob said it.
    I do like the new DC designs but like you guys said I'm not keen on Skeletor being so much bigger then HM. I really like Trap Jaw with that cloak and am looking forward to the series.

I love the teaser pics like they are doing with Mosquitor, I loved it when the 4HM did it with the stactions.

With the mini-comic I love the first few pages that are like a Montage/summary of evens from the bios, in fact I think their my favourite pages in the comic. One thing about those pages I find interesting is Randor disappears before SR/Adora's return and then she's standing right there when he returns and hugs Adam. She must be dying to rush off and turn back into Adora so she finally can meet her father.
    I do really like the mini-comic, the things I don't like are just nit-picks really. I think the Teela's Sorceress oufit looks terrible, she looks more like a Jedi, and He-Man's comment to her about her hair is cringe worthy, not to mention he can't even see her hair under the hooded cloak. I also agree with Rob that its odd King Hiss and the SM are just hanging in the desert, they should be in a temple or palace or something. It also doesn't make sense when Skeletor first confronts the SM he like 'I will help you defeat the Masters' then later on he's like 'Umm the Masters even in this time as well?'
    I totally did the same thing were I was reading it and thought 'how in the hell did Skeletor get into Grayskull', an org member in the mini comic talkback thread actually had to point out to me the box that says 'Late, Central Tower'.
    When Dan says he loves how Skeletor plays Hisss this made me think how smiler it is to how he plays Flogg in the NA cartoon.
    Glad they kept the Unnamed one and hope he's Horde Prime
    I really don't like that the 30th characters are going to be in parts two and three as we know they wouldn't have been in the original vintage parts two and three if we'd gotten them.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I was informed by Jukka about my mental block of Orko lol thanks so much and always thank you for listening
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

LOL Fun to now listen back on Episode 02 with discussion about Dragon Blaster Skeletor, since the confirmation of him coming as the third variant.

I am "HIGHLY" looking forward to your reactions to the new MOTU comic!

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I am "HIGHLY" looking forward to your reactions to the new MOTU comic!
    And I am "HIGHLY" waiting to give my thoughts, as are the rest of the podcast!

Episode 04 - Powers of Grayskull Mini-Comic Part 2

This time gang discuss Powers of Grayskull mini-comic part 2 for the Masters of the Universe Classics!
    With again a Special guest on the show! Danielle "Penny Dreadful" Gelehrter joins the guys to chime in with
    the discussion of He-Man's continued adventure in Preternia!

Direct link to Episode 04 [mp3-file]

Duration: 2h 04min

iTunes link

Think I'm going to hold off listening to this until my SMM arrives and I can read the comic

Wanted:

The podcast is also available on YouTube and Blip.tv, all the links are on www.alternativemindz.com
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Think I'm going to hold off listening to this until my SMM arrives and I can read the comic
    Let us know what you think afterwards!

Lot of comics coming and lot to talk about! Love it!

I subscribe thru I-Tunes!

Just heard it at work today and WOW, It's good to hear that a lot of my "issues" were felt all across the boards! Though still being positive on the fact that there is an attempt to make something happen, each of you guys touched on something dead on. One thing I didn't realize or come to think of until you guys mentioned it was the fact that Horde troopers are with him, which I was slightly in opposition of....

My belief is when Hordak was dispatched to tend to He-Ro (and a as ploy by Horde Prime) was just sent with the small squad consisting of Leech, Mantenna and Grizzlor. The reason why I would want this cause I believe HP believed He-Ro would perish due to the virus and sending Hordak off on this mission with a small unit of "New RAW and unchecked" warriors would unintentionally and possibly lead to his brother's failure removing opposition to the Horde throne. But what it actually instead did creates a unit of the most destructive individuals that become the BAD(Blanks)they are today! and my next complaint would've been, according to the BIOS.... CATRA is with them so where the HELL is She!!!!

Cool thing is while I listening I was drafting some answers to the questions asked and definitely will incorporate them into my very own 'Thumbnail Theories'!
    -Case in point: Hordak (whom I believe to be infected with the techno-virus as well) uses his magical abilities to keep the virus in check. Yet when he uses the Spell of Separation the first time (when he sends Etheria thru to Despondos ) he realizes that the spell dramatically taps into his power allowing to virus to quickly overcome him without any defense but he manages to keep it in check just enough. He sees as The Three Towers as a perfect opportunity to channel more power than ever before to not only re-use the Spell but also as a possible means to acquire the power to maintain total control of it. Now not sure if they would acknowledge the MYP story of Hordak's final days on Preternia, I would say that the last battle between him and King Grayskull he once again along with those witches uses the Spell of Separation. But due to imprisoning the Snake Men and now a showdown with Grayskull, he's pretty tapped (to an extent) and as well all know he loses and gets sent thru and at his weakened state, the virus begins to take over which he slightly turns away from magic and embraces the virus becoming the shifter we all came to know originally.....

Just my thought on how to patch up some gaps and holes

Glad to have you guys back on! BROOKLYN!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Woohoo Brooklyn's in da HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry but thanks your points are very dead on and we'd love to see this Thumb Nail Theories
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Definitely! Hope to get most of them up soon as possible! You guys gonna 'cast on the digi-comic? My I-Pod's got plenty of space...

Just recorded with Joe on the SLL digital comic. will have it ready by weekend
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Very good theories Nemisythe! I love all the thought you put into that. I would love to know what they really did have in mind with Hordak. Thanks for listening, and I hope you keep sharing your feedback and thoughts with us!

Thanks! Just really glad we have these forums and mediums in which we can hear, share and even give 'our 2 cents' amongst fellow fans! Actually listening to the cast again! 2 hrs, I feel spoiled!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Let us know what you think afterwards!
    Will do dude.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    Just recorded with Joe on the SLL digital comic. will have it ready by weekend
    Nice, I'm looking forward to that

Wanted:

Honestly, I became a big fan of your Podcast guys from day one, it's sooo refreshing and unique. It's a great mix of Rob's hilarious standup comedy like questionnaires, Joe's brilliant rants and Jukka's very cool animated robotic analysis. Having also occasional guests like Dan and Danielle will only add to the mushy mix for even a more enjoyable experience. Keep up the great work and will definitely look forward to the next ring bashing (ehm, I mean constructive critiquing) rounds...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Honestly, I became a big fan of your Podcast guys from day one, it's sooo refreshing and unique. It's a great mix of Rob's hilarious standup comedy like questionnaires, Joe's brilliant rants and Jukka's very cool animated robotic analysis. Having also occasional guests like Dan and Danielle will only add to the mushy mix for even a more enjoyable experience. Keep up the great work and will definitely look forward to the next ring bashing (ehm, I mean constructive critiquing) rounds...
    Glad you enjoy our podcast! We are definitely a well rounded group, and we gel together very nicely. Keep listening, and we hope you enjoy our next episode about the first downloadable comic featuring Sir Laser Lot! Great having you as a fan.