Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Masters COMIC Cast - Podcast about 2012 MOTU Comics

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar

thanks for all the support

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Honestly, I became a big fan of your Podcast guys from day one, it's sooo refreshing and unique. It's a great mix of Rob's hilarious standup comedy like questionnaires, Joe's brilliant rants and Jukka's very cool animated robotic analysis. Having also occasional guests like Dan and Danielle will only add to the mushy mix for even a more enjoyable experience. Keep up the great work and will definitely look forward to the next ring bashing (ehm, I mean constructive critiquing) rounds...
    We try not to bash too harshly but in truth, we are trying to make a entertaining podcast for the listeners. yet if there is something silly or right out dumb im calling bull crap on it.

icome from a comic book background (similar to Val but im no artist) so when i see written mistakes in editorial. i have to bash and bash harshly.

hope you all keep enjoying the rants and raves
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    We try not to bash too harshly but in truth, we are trying to make a entertaining podcast for the listeners. yet if there is something silly or right out dumb im calling bull crap on it.

icome from a comic book background (similar to Val but im no artist) so when i see written mistakes in editorial. i have to bash and bash harshly.

hope you all keep enjoying the rants and raves
    Actually all the issues you guys raised on the show were very valid, and that's why they sounded very entertaining rather than 'bashing'...
    When I read the two comics, I was also amazed with how hideous the story telling was, and I don't blame it on the writers and artists as much as I blame it on the directors and the stupid bios. I mean Mattel should've at least expanded the number of pages to sixteen per issue to allow more freedom for the writers/artists to explore the story a little better and allow it to make more sense. Regardless, the direction was bad from the beginning, and some of the panels shouldn't made it in the first place...
    Again, keep up the great work, and I can't wait for your DC SLL execution.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Actually all the issues you guys raised on the show were very valid, and that's why they sounded very entertaining rather than 'bashing'...
    When I read the two comics, I was also amazed with how hideous the story telling was, and I don't blame it on the writers and artists as much as I blame it on the directors and the stupid bios. I mean Mattel should've at least expanded the number of pages to sixteen per issue to allow more freedom for the writers/artists to explore the story a little better and allow it to make more sense. Regardless, the direction was bad from the beginning, and some of the panels shouldn't made it in the first place...
    Again, keep up the great work, and I can't wait for your DC SLL execution.
    I think you will really enjoy our SLL episode.

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I think you will really enjoy our SLL episode.
    You bet I will...

Hi guys, i just found your podcast and i am through the first hour of the first show, just wanted to let you know that i like it thus far and many opinion i really share, like no cloning, techno virus? no way... but mostly, the real names...

The comparison of Woody Allen and Skeletor made me really laugh.

Thanks let us know ur thoughts on all the topics. hope we entertain ;-)
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    Yeah, Rob and I share that bond.. it's a good and bad bond. We have a tendency to probably be overcritical on comics. Not intentionally, but we have a tendency to look at things most people probably don't give two poops about.

See Val feels my pain. sometimes we are jaded coming from the comics background but it boils down to if we made these same mistakes we would be canned ! don't worry one day Rob Base is working with Val Staples... once i can afford the superstar artist! mark my words people o_O
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

So, any updates on the DC MOTU comic reviews guys? It would be much appreciated to hear what you guys think.

I am editing the Sir Laser Lot one and we plan on recording the DC 1 soon ...... sooooo many comics soooo little time
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Thanks Rob, and good to know. :-)

-----------------------------------------------

• Episode 05 - DC MOTU Digital Comic #1 - "The Lost Knight"

DC Digital First(!) gets Rob, Joe and Jukka talking about Sir-Laser-Lot's story and how it connects to printed DC Comic,
    MOTUC canon and everything under the sun!

Direct link to Episode 05 [mp3-file]

Duration: 1h 46min

iTunes link

Just finished listening. And i am amazed that it not gotten torn to pieces on the level of the mini comics.

Here are my thoughts:

Funny is that Joe said "with 99 Cents you cant do much wrong". Well, you guys talked almost 2 hours about the comic and in the end, to what i made of it, it didn't do well. So, if the story is crap, the art is crap, then you can do a lot wrong in paying for something that is plain bad. Why buy something that is bad? Just to see the bad images you described? Just because Masters of the Universe is written on it? No sir, i won't. It is dissapointing, and if this thing was rushed, i can understand why some things don't look right, but that does not justify for it. I don't need to pay some company to give me crappy stuff about a thing i like a lot. If they keep producing low level stuff, they will see where that leads. People get mad and rant against the books. The sales will probably go down and that is the end of Masters comics... wich i would hate.
    So if the book was rushed i guess we can hope for better artwork in the comic 2 books because they probably might have had more time. On another forum they said, that Howard Porter had a hand injury or something, so i should not talk about bad artwork, or that lasertek is showing the finger, if you flip the image (left original, right 180 turn)

On the other hand, i did the pencilwork on a book a while back (wich still hasn't seen the light of day, and probably never will) and i got an image of the cover and man, what the hell? They inked stuff i haven't shaded, they forgot to ink lines that are clearly missing and the colors... oh gosh, the light was all over the place and i set the imag up as a nighttime image, since the story takes place at night. So the sun is shining everywhere, the people have hard shadows like the kids in lasterlots comics right in the daylight on their back but no shadow on the ground and that is just the beginning. What i try to say is, maybe it isn't all Howard Porters fault. The other two parties involved in the art might as be amateurs, don't know them.

The violence and the smashing of the face, i guess that "soundeffect" and the look of the face are supposed to be cauterized woulds. You know, like a lightsaber, cut ones hand of, he does not bleed to death because the wound get closed. And it seems a real gruesome death, melting the face into a puddle of skin. Not be able to really breath... but maybe he was dead when the ball of the mace got into the head, literally.

The strange lightshow in the panel where he tries to bash the first beast after taking it the handle out of that neat little ropething on his belt is... it is just WRRROOOONG. Man, "BEHIND" him? He must have flipped a around his z-axis to pull that stunt. That is obviously executed very poorly. There should have been an arc of that lightshow and an impact "star", and of course something like "shwoosh" or something.

To get a bit ahead, Joe said "four pages of running" he wanted to see more, and look what you get in the first Issue of the 6 part comic, again, running. And in my view, i wasn't even sure if they are more like gliding downhill the whole time. Running looks different to me. Didn't like the panels at all.

ScareglowS
    Oh, yes... very bad. But, maybe, if we follow the bio, and he got cursed after his death, to become Scareglow, maybe some other people before him got cursed, too? A curse might work more than once. And i don't know in what time to set the classic Scareglow, to me the bios matter nothing but i guess they have a little impact on the writing of the comics, so i had to read it, just to be informed (and i just don't like that bounty hunter stuff, it has to much of a moneydriven aspect to it wich just don't fit with the overall Masters Concept, you never saw anything getting sold or anyone pay for anything really, so why bountyhunter when there is nothing to get?).
    To me, Scareglow was always a single Charakter, and he was mysterious. Now he is a common Monster? It is like in Star Wars, Boba Fett, he was the cooles mysterious character, not knowing what he looks like or what his past is. Now we know and to me, is has lost something. I even got myself the Classic Scareglow because he is plain awesome. Never had him as a kid, but that figure i wanted. And after Webstor he was my second figure.

The design of Laser lot
    I read now in several Forums that people like this version better than the toy. Maybe that is his "re-design" for this canon? Also i could imagine that people would love to have a second head delivered with him now. And the read skull wich does not have to be horde prime, but maybe like a crystal skull just made in the way of the race of Hordak.

The supposed axe on the shelf
    Have a look on the panel were you see the preternia map, the shelf ends there and the axe must be behind the helmet, as it is next page, but in the panel below the preternia map panel we see that whatever it is, in front of the helmet... quick redecorated the room, the map is gone, the door is to close the the shelf, the fire moved to the wall...
    And the way they stand while he opens the door... do they all have to pee or something?

Gem forged out of a dragon heart
    How this works? Think of the movie Dragonheart. You couln't kill the snotty prince/king (professor Lupin) guy as long as the Dragon lived. Maybe it is something like that, not really sharing a heart of course, it got forged. Forge a heart, then curse it and put it into a chest? Ah.... noo... lame.
    To a fantasy world it would be nicer to have the actual heart working inside of him. Could have been an action feature like bow in the old toy line.

That you didn't understand that Laser Lot is teleportet i can't believe. You all saw Star Trek, right? Always the people glow or have an effect over them to indicate they get teleportet.

What i don't get is, where does the sword and the blood come from. I fear we never find that out. Maybe there was somebody sacrificed and only the sword remained.

Skin color
    There is enough surrounding light that is not from any fireplace or glowing objects that shows his skin tone. The smoke wich just looks aweful is grey, so no lightsource hard enough to change the skin color, the others are in normal colors, too. Look at his faceand hand, he is a black dude.

The collar looks strange with that "ball" behind it. Maybe it is full of her hair?

That Skeletor has no sign of his bat symbol anymore is lame. But now Mer Man is a great Batman fan... why give a guy, who probably lives most of the time under water, a freaking Bat symbol?
    I saw a sketch for the design of Tri-Klops and he looks just he put on a costume for World of Warcraft. Big Shoulderpads and 3 gigantic swords.

Why they can't find stuff in the present? Well, you said it yourself, they steal all the items from the past, so they can't find what's not in the timeline anymore. You guys bring up Back to the future, i say Marty couldn't have visited himself, because he was taken out of the timestream if you will, therefore he can't marry and have kids and look at his own future. Nobody in that time machine has a future. He probably should have seen his parents wich are misserable because their youngest son just vanished. If they would have left Jennifer on the drive in, he could have met her in the future, but not if they take her with them.
    So, if they "beam" the items from the past to the future they won't be found on the planet over that course of time. If you beam a 200 year old musket from the place it was just made, it will looke brand new and nobody will say "it is 200 years old".

Do the next digital comics lead in...
    I hope they work them nice into the story, maybe adam, then in his he-man form finds Battle Cat and leads into issue 2. Maybe Battle Cat saves Adam from the bad guys... who now have the order to stop Adam, even kill him.
    But i fear they are as wonky as the first one because they fixed the stories together way to fast and give the art no time...

They could have thought of the whole Comic thing way earlier.

So, that were my 2 cents, hope nobody is offended.

I like to listen to you guys. To hear what real, in my mind, hardcore Fans, have to say about it is a nice change if one does not have time to read the forums for hours.

Regards.

Thanks for some awesome comments here and No-one should be offended cause they are your opinions! The art really left a bad taste in our collective mouths and I never want to beat down on anyone one artist for a shotty job. but the proof is there, he seemed rush and you can point out any page and find a fist full of mistakes. but I don't think over all that the art was it's true downfall. cause for 99 cents it was still cool to have some little side story from the realm of the masters!
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Nice, I'll listen to this on the train to London tomorrow when I'm going to see Soundgarden!
    Haven't listened to episode 4 yet as my SMAA still hasn't arrived so I haven't been able to read the mini comic yet and the wait is killing me
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    Why they can't find stuff in the present? Well, you said it yourself, they steal all the items from the past, so they can't find what's not in the timeline anymore. You guys bring up Back to the future, i say Marty couldn't have visited himself, because he was taken out of the timestream if you will, therefore he can't marry and have kids and look at his own future. Nobody in that time machine has a future. He probably should have seen his parents wich are misserable because their youngest son just vanished. If they would have left Jennifer on the drive in, he could have met her in the future, but not if they take her with them.
    So, if they "beam" the items from the past to the future they won't be found on the planet over that course of time. If you beam a 200 year old musket from the place it was just made, it will looke brand new and nobody will say "it is 200 years old".
    With regard to BTTF, it took a week for Marty's accidentally preventing his parents from getting together in 1955 to threaten his own existence, so it stands to reason that it would similarly take time for Marty and Jennifer's leaving 1985 to ripple forward to erase their 2015 counterparts. Doc Brown intended for them to be done and back in 1985 before that could happen. The writers said that the Marty of 2015 was Marty if Doc Brown had never arrived in 1985 and taken him back to the future to help Marty Jr. In effect the older Marty who was in 2015 was never going to exist like that now because Doc Brown had already changed history by picking up Marty. If there's a glitch it's probably that Marty recovered so quickly when George and Loraine finally kissed in the original movie--but I'm just a geek not an expert. I have no idea if this particular theory of time travel accepts causality loops where something was always meant to be "changed" so there would be no temporal delay or ripple effect.

Ooh, nice, Back to the Future timetravel talk. Love it!

The writers said that the Marty of 2015 was Marty if Doc Brown had never arrived in 1985 and taken him back to the future to help Marty Jr.
    That is correct.

In effect the older Marty who was in 2015 was never going to exist like that now because Doc Brown had already changed history by picking up Marty.
    He was never going to exist AT ALL. The moment you set foot in timemachine and travel into the future, let's say 5 years, you are not living in the "timestream" anymore, you don't buy stuff, you don't work, you don't influence your neighbors, can't post your cool artwork on he-man.org or even produce any art. You can't go into the future and look at your art that you will do if you not travel. When you arrive you might have a look into the forum and see a thread "gbagok nowhere to find", you check the postings and you will learn that you just vanished for 5 years and left everything behind like if you died. If you go visit your family they probably show you your empty grave. If you have a wife or girlfriend, she might have moved on and raising your kids, or new ones for those years. You can't see your very own future. But what you can is, check out the future, see what's a good investment, go back to the time you left and see if you can get invested in the company or whatever and get some extra bucks (like in the movie with Dennis Quaid, Frequency).

The recovery or more that almost erased from existence was more for visual drama, to keep it thrilling until the climax when George punches the guy and kissed his Lorraine.
    They could have made something like that for the future, buildings vanishing, people changing before the eyes of Doc and Marty and stuff. But i am not a fan of that for that "universe".

I don't believe in that ripple effect and the events need time to change, that is not logical for me. I don't see why it has to ripple. If you take something from the timeline, it is not possible that echoes of that get kids and stuff to visit them in the future.
    And it didn't happen to doc and Marty.
    When Marty in movie one changed the history to get his parents together wich was ment to be, since he was born, he only changed that George has self esteem. And that changed his living situation and the life of Biff, who became a lacey instead of a bully, right away when he got back from 1955. He woke up and all were happy campers with good self esteem and jobs. Like George said when unpacking his box with book, "If you put your mind on it you can accomplish anything." But why it took for him so long to write that book i don't understand. Maybe college took to much time
    So why did not the time change for Biff when he stole the Delorean and came back at the same place and time and has something like a heartattack? Because Doc and Marty went back and changed the events again and nothing changed in the first place? Maybe, but in my mind, it is not possible. The moment the 2015 Biff get's in the car and to the past, gives himself the Almanach and get's rich, the events of timeline we witness (Marty and Doc hiding Jennifer in his future home) would have eradicated everything in the future and when he comes back, he should be in his own Biff-Valley, Lorraine his slave and her kids probably all dead. And Doc Brown died very early and never built the time machine. So the whole thing is a paradoxon and stumbles upon itself. It was never ment to be a trilogy. They placed the "To be continued..." at the end as a joke. But the fans and probably the studio wanted more. So they had to come up with something. Don't get me wrong, i loooove the movies, i can recite the german and the english dialogue (in many parts, not everything). When i watched it the first time, i just rewinded the tape and watched it again, and i loved the scene at the end when the Delorean lifts up and his tires turn and flies of and comes at the viewer, oh how awesome. I imediatetly thought of M.A.S.K. and i love the toyline and the show. It was just awesome.

In the end, nobody here might be sure, how timetravel really works. It is just my way of thinking of timetravel.
    Some books indicate you can only travel with your mind... because the same atoms or something can't exist in the same space and time at once, wich in my mind isn't true. I don't occupy the same space if i travel an hour back and watch me write this posting, i would stand behind myself. So all is good. Maybe the thing with touching might be dangerous but i don't know. It is just theory.
    But, i just remembered the most thrilling and awesome time travel story i read as a kid. Uncanny X-Men's "Days of Future past". There Kitty Pride's mind takes over her younger self to save the future. That was creepy when i read it back then... man, i have to get my John Burne books out again. Loved them!
    That ripple effect was even part of the old X-MEN Cartoon, when Bishop got sent back. Hmm, somehow the people only get send back... oh no, Cyclops and Jean got transported into the future to rais their son, but i am not sure if they just went with their minds. But i guess so. Long time ago...

Sorry for being off topic in a way.

LOL this is awesome, BTTF talk in a MOTU thread. It's never off topic ! All I say is that with MOTU time travel either way has NO EFFECT on anything these mini comics, Digital books and the new printed books will not be effect at all LOL maybe its all the "magic"?
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Finally got my SMAA figure on Mon so I've been able to read the mini comic and get cought up with MCC episodes.

Like you guys I liked the art and I LOVE the cover, its absolutely amazing! But the dialogue and pacing is just terrible.
    I agree with you guys on the Preternian characters calling Preternia, Preternia and not just Eternia. It just ridiculous that they missed that IMO.
    I also though where's Zodac, surely he should be there with Zodak? And like Jukka I'm personally not keen on Moss Man being around in Preternian times, I wouldn't of minded if it have been a ancestor of Moss Man's though.
    I'm not a fan of any of the new characters created to be Preternian Masters and wouldn't want figures of them. It was just totally unnecessary to even create them. The role of the Preternian Masters could have been filled by any of the pre-existing charaters from the Council of Elders or Council of Wisdom and that would have worked much better.
    That Horde character you couldn't identify is Calix.
    I think the key to the Spell of Separation being the way to the defeat the SnakeMen once and for all may lie in the SnakeMen two-pack bio revealed at SDCC: "A hybrid of three cold-blooded alien races, the Snake Men were spliced together and bred by the Unnamed One".
    It really is a shame He-ro and Eldor where not used more, like you say He-Ro was going to be a whole toy line!
    And Spector's mission, what was that all about?
    Also taking the Bionatops back to the future, what a terrible idea again. This and the use of word 'Preternia' really makes me think why didn't anybody question these during the process of creating this comic
    So with Skeletor being all hog tied at the end he must get free pretty quick in the next issue.

With the digital comic:
    I enjoyed the comic and again I love the cover. SLL's armor look sooo much better in these colours, I'd so buy him if he came in these colours and not the awful blue colour.
    Yeah I totally though Ironman, especially when he said "I cant live with out it" .
    I pretty much though the same thing about Scareglows you guys speculated on. What if Scareglows are a mythical creature that glows, say like a giant glowing river serpent or something, and this creature is just where the Scareglow we know gets his name from. I wouldn't mind that.
    "hurray before Agent Spector senses the disruption in time" arr really, I was really enjoying the comic up to this line. So wait not only can Spector travel though time but now he can also sense when others do? and I also hate the word 'agent' its just not very MOTU or Eternian.

Enjoying the podcasts guys keep em coming
    Last edited by 13977; July 19, 2012 at 03:13pm.

Wanted:

Glad you enjoyed the episodes 13977. We love doing these podcasts, and appreciate all of your opinions and feedback. And yes the dialong in the first mini comic is something that really irritated me, especially the "Preternia" reference from He-Ro and King Grayskull. We will be doing our thoughts on the DC #1 Print Comic and the Man-At-Arms Digital Comic soon!

Thank you very much for the feedback 13977!

Always awesome to hear from the listeners!

oh! missed that the 6th ep of this was up. could you add an rss feed for it jukka? or rob, or joe? hehe. whoever feels like adding one

..or is there one already? I couldn't find a link for that.

What, what, Episode 6 is up? Where? I can't see anything about in this thread or the main page?
    Last edited by 13977; August 12, 2012 at 07:01am.

Wanted:

Sorry guys. Was out-of-town and forgot to update the thread.

• Episode 06 - DC MOTU Digital Comic #2 - "Man-At-Arms" and SDCC Talk

The guys talk all the SDCC reveals and then turn their gazes on DC Digital Issue #2 with Man-At-Arms going
    up against the Knoll-Clan! Special guest on this episode is Dylan Cook (From "What the Shell" podcast) and he gives his
    views on Man-At-Arms' armor and the anatomy on Sorceress!

Episode has SDCC talk at the beginning and Digital Comic discussion starts at 1h 20min mark!

Direct link to Episode 06 [mp3-file]

Duration: 3h 21min

iTunes link

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    [*]Rob places bets for DC Comics story being in MOTUC canon
    It's somewhat misleading that all the individual threads for the new DC comics are in this MOTUC Forum - the comics contradict the 'continuity' of Classics bios and the character designs aren't Classics either. It's a new continuity.