Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 113 of 113

Thread: Masters COMIC Cast - Podcast about 2012 MOTU Comics

  1. #101
    #1 Meteorb Fan! Joe Amato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    What, what, Episode 6 is up? Where? I can't see anything about in this thread or the main page?
    Here is the link if you have not heard it yet. Can't wait to hear what you think of this episode.

    http://media.alternativemindz.com/mp3/MCC/MCC-006.mp3

  2. #102
    Scrolls Reviewer Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,778
    Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    Here is the link if you have not heard it yet. Can't wait to hear what you think of this episode.
    And like stated earlier, you can skip to 1h20min mark to go to the comic-talk.

    It's brilliant simply for the fact of Joe acting out the sound-effects and everything!

  3. #103
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,309
    Good episode guys. This one was really long, lasted me all week at the gym.

    Loved the sound effects!

    The schematics are a good idea but I'd rather they give us a book of them that would have schematics of all the MOTU vehicles similar to what other brand have. The Star Wars Increasable Cross-Sections are really good but I'd even be happy with something simpler like the Star Wars Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.
    I'd like to get at least one more map and it be of Primus, with smaller pictures of Denebria and Nordor at either side of it just like the Subternia map has a compass and moon either side of it.

    I agree with Rob that Fangman's head just looks way too cartoony for Classics, I hope future Filmation figures are more Classicized.

    I totally think the Grayskull eyes are whats going going to be used to correct time in the main series. If one of the eyes can control Space and the other Time, and Skeletor has changed time somehow (presumably with the Skull) then I think this is too much of a coincidence not to be worked in somehow.

    When MAA says excuse me I have a date with a bath of ice, I wonder does he need a bath of ice because he's sore from the fight or is its really because the Sorceress new outfit has got him all hot and bothered!
    It also gave me a mental image of back at MAA's workshop, Frosta using her powers to fill up a bath tub for him

    Overall I'm really enjoying the comic series so far. One thing that does really annoy me though is when you go to buy the issue on Comixology the thumbnail for the issue in the shop has the full cover, but when you buy the issue and read it only has a cropped version of the cover! This was especially strange in the first issue as in the cropped cover you couldn't even see the skull. Is this the case for all digital DC comics or just this MOTU seres?

    I think the problem most people had with the SLL issue was that it was #1 and featured a new character that casual MOTU fans wont know. I wonder if that issue had been sold as #0 of the main series would people of had the same problem?
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  4. #104
    Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    150
    SLL should be a #0 issue
    www.alternativemindz.com

    Abstract the Perspective
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  5. #105
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,309
    Great to see a new episode up guys, I'm looking forward to listening to it
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  6. #106
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    891
    Just listend to the battle cat episode, great stuff , Jukka not sure but I think the word your after, is snout or muzzle, and the direlyx name is like saying dire wolf ( the larger prehistoric ancestor to today's wolf ) but with a lyx,.... But I suppose it should be 'Direpanther' really ,

    Cheers great show

  7. #107
    Heroic Warrior MAXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Frelling Germany
    Posts
    742
    Nice a new comic cast.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I like your podcast and can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about the other comics. No special wishes or anything for the next shows, there are enough comics out at the moment to talk about.
    Keep it up and a Happy new year to you guys.

    That said, probably nobody will care, but here are my 2 cents on the comic. I wrote it while listening and checking the pages you were talking about:

    The Issue with the white page, i agree it looks as if there is something missing.
    Also the page is not really white, you can see the texture of the paper there, same goes for the evil lyn and Orko comic. But how real it is i cannot say. When browsing through the Orko book it stays the same, just with occasionally dirt in it, wich i hate, so i would guess it is put in there afterwards.

    The thing with the not so clear view of what is going on, it might be supposed to show the confusion of a battle... everything goes wild and stuff. But what i can make out, they seem to be on that Kraken thing, not a ship

    I agree with the sword, and to me she is She-Ra. What i don't get is, why did they use a blond Teela, there are already two blond heroes, why not differentiate her and let her be a red head. The Jem in the sword, not only a girl thing, Mer-Man's lackey has one in his trident. Yes, to me it is not Mer-Man, i am not a fan of those redesigns and i think it was a mistake!
    On the same page, the colorist could not identify what is fur and what is the armor of battle cat, due the sloppy drawing in that region.

    Next page, why is He-Man hitting the fish guy with the flat side of the sword. If i would have drawn that image, i would have given the sword an angle that clearly shows that the sharp side is cutting into the staff of Mer Mans little friend, wich i really like designwise. Just not as Mer Man himself.
    The Filmation Ghostbusters gun is funny, never sah it that way. I just though, wow, they are on the ocean and he shoots more water out of his gun... amazing.

    Tigor Panthor battle page. I like it, it is good page, if you don't care for light and shadow.
    The 3 circles in the sky are two moons and a sun for me. Even if the Sun is more in the setting mood of what the backgroundcolor shows me, but it is a memory so be it...
    What bugs me more is that one Tigor has 4 fangs in his upper jaw.

    The panel where cringer runs towards his dad would be okay if that sitting tigor wasn't there, because of the speedlines we get the suggestion we are racing towards them, but him/her sitting there makes no sense.
    Funny is that his dad has even purple stripes on his face. They way they are colored, with that texture gives me the impression as if they are like a tear in the fabric of space and time and this yellow/read clouds are moving, if it would be a cartoon. This watercolor texture doesn't do the trick for me. Especially below the dad's jaw, it is almost the same color like the background, like he has holes in him.

    The Panthors attack. Well, evil guys attract bad weather. If we think of the lion king, when scar was the boss, all color went from the land and it was a misty cloudy time, even the gras was gone, when he was destroyed, all of a sudden sunshine and everything got color, even the grass grew back. Here is it rain and lighting.
    I personally find those tails too big.
    The panthor on the left in the killing of the dad panel, well, some artists draw humans that way, especially the arms.

    The page with Cringers eyes ... man, those eyes are just wrong. Fantasy this or that, this set of eyes are humanoid. A Tiger and most every other animals eyes are like a full iris and a pupil. They whole eye of an animal is completely the iris what we see, only humans have those eyeballs that have a small iris and an even smaller pupil.
    And a tiger has beautiful round eyes with nice round pupils. At least the artist gave them eyes slits for pupils.


    That this hunt is supposed to go on for days is to me not good, like you guys said, there is no indication of a change of daytime. And that is for a comic that you should read and understand even without reading the text should show you the change of a daytime.
    And even in a fantasy world there should be some realism to help the foundation, so this cub would be dead by exhaustion after one day or so.
    The reason why cringer looks like a stuffed animal in that birds view panel is, that those comics are not drawn in a very big way. I mean they are not for print, so they don't have to use a gigantic format that they scan and reduce to hide sloppy things, no, here and all the other digitial comics, you see how ugly a page could look like. My guess is, that those images are drawn very loose on a paper that might be the size of an actual comic. Why? To save time and probably money. Problem is, you can't work in details on a small scale, like the mini cringer. He doen't even have stripes... the colorist could have helped here a little.

    He-Man appears... well, he looks like some really ugly male parts are dangling between his legs...
    I guess it is a style desicion but i can't get over it, that the lightning that comes and goes to and from his sword to zapp Cringer is made of light and he is in total darkness... I am a fan of lighting, and lightning, and i know, when the lightning strikes direclty in front of you, you don't absorb the light, no, you may be over exposed. I would have made him not black, i would have given him that blue shine at least for the outline on some parts to show a contour.
    That might have worked on the rocks as well, because only the panthors and cringer have the lightreflection on ther bodies. And with that lightning, all should be in a blue color, as should all the night scene, because everything is affected by the night light, but not the cats, no wonder they found the tigors.

    Little Cringer becoming the big guy... meh... there you are right, it makes no sense.

    Battle Cat going for the panthose. Well, those neck muscles of the guy on the lower left are just aweful and that strange ball on the lower right, what is that?

    For the boatcreature. As far as i take it, this helm thing was put there by fishguy and it went beserk, the few masters just wanted to make a little boattrip and made a fishy catch afterwars.
    There is good stuff for magic that either turns a nice gentle creature into a living hell or use the magic to change the normal boat into a creature of the sea to trap/capture or as it seems the new DC way, kill the other party.

    I like the panel at the end, when we see the fishguy hanging at that mast. He-Man looks stupid, don't like is outfit one bit. Now he has to watch out for rusting chainlinks and stuff...
    And that belt... man he is now a pro wrestler? He will never sneak up on somebody with that metal clanking here and there
    You meantioned the anatomical problems, but i have beaf with the helmet of Battle Cat. The helmet is going inside like a turtle and the sattle goes even in front of it on the shoulder of he-man.

    To personalities discussion. Yes, sounds like the german audioplay Cringer/Battle Cat Totally shizophrenic. And with He-Man, too. In that one episode He-Man want to find out a riddle and he talks with man-at-arms, and they come to the conclusion that he should be able to solve that riddle when he is Adam. So He-Man is a dumbdumb and Adam is a brainiac, as he did show in one of the UK Comics.

    What i don't like on the new DC Cringer is, that he is sooo big. I know his dad was also big but that leads again to that discussion to that he-man und adam looked alike and the myp cartoon made it correct and i agree.

    And man, again, what is that "thing" on the stairs behind Te-Ra? check it out, the black silhouette.
    Same panel, again a light thing for me... it is night, there are torches lit and the hardest of shadows is right below the torch. The light would have killed the shadow. The "good thing" is, that the torch itself, the holding thing, throws now shadow yay magic.
    And the bodysuit is just in that first panel, in the second, she kneels down to cringer and oh that is that... skin color leg or something else because she is happy to see him? Also her lower arm with the hand touching Cringer is waay to long.

    What i don't like is the claws, they are always showing.

    Didn't notice the battle cat engraving, Joe, that could be something!
    And i am with Joe there, he can remeber the stuff that happened before but he can't tell anyone, so why bother taking his memories.

    But i really like the last page a lot. There could have been more eastereggs but the amount of detail and designs are very nice. The shadows could be longer because of the fire but what the heck...
    In my comic will be "some" eastereggs as well, just for the fans to find.

    Ohboy, so much text for a comic that i even think as one of the better ones of the whole dc lot.
    I liked the way it was told.

    And congratulations if you got though my text Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MAXX; January 4, 2013 at 04:57pm.

  8. #108
    Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    Nice a new comic cast.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I like your podcast and can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about the other comics. No special wishes or anything for the next shows, there are enough comics out at the moment to talk about.
    Keep it up and a Happy new year to you guys.

    That said, probably nobody will care, but here are my 2 cents on the comic. I wrote it while listening and checking the pages you were talking about:

    The Issue with the white page, i agree it looks as if there is something missing.
    Also the page is not really white, you can see the texture of the paper there, same goes for the evil lyn and Orko comic. But how real it is i cannot say. When browsing through the Orko book it stays the same, just with occasionally dirt in it, wich i hate, so i would guess it is put in there afterwards.

    The thing with the not so clear view of what is going on, it might be supposed to show the confusion of a battle... everything goes wild and stuff. But what i can make out, they seem to be on that Kraken thing, not a ship

    I agree with the sword, and to me she is She-Ra. What i don't get is, why did they use a blond Teela, there are already two blond heroes, why not differentiate her and let her be a red head. The Jem in the sword, not only a girl thing, Mer-Man's lackey has one in his trident. Yes, to me it is not Mer-Man, i am not a fan of those redesigns and i think it was a mistake!
    On the same page, the colorist could not identify what is fur and what is the armor of battle cat, due the sloppy drawing in that region.

    Next page, why is He-Man hitting the fish guy with the flat side of the sword. If i would have drawn that image, i would have given the sword an angle that clearly shows that the sharp side is cutting into the staff of Mer Mans little friend, wich i really like designwise. Just not as Mer Man himself.
    The Filmation Ghostbusters gun is funny, never sah it that way. I just though, wow, they are on the ocean and he shoots more water out of his gun... amazing.

    Tigor Panthor battle page. I like it, it is good page, if you don't care for light and shadow.
    The 3 circles in the sky are two moons and a sun for me. Even if the Sun is more in the setting mood of what the backgroundcolor shows me, but it is a memory so be it...
    What bugs me more is that one Tigor has 4 fangs in his upper jaw.

    The panel where cringer runs towards his dad would be okay if that sitting tigor wasn't there, because of the speedlines we get the suggestion we are racing towards them, but him/her sitting there makes no sense.
    Funny is that his dad has even purple stripes on his face. They way they are colored, with that texture gives me the impression as if they are like a tear in the fabric of space and time and this yellow/read clouds are moving, if it would be a cartoon. This watercolor texture doesn't do the trick for me. Especially below the dad's jaw, it is almost the same color like the background, like he has holes in him.

    The Panthors attack. Well, evil guys attract bad weather. If we think of the lion king, when scar was the boss, all color went from the land and it was a misty cloudy time, even the gras was gone, when he was destroyed, all of a sudden sunshine and everything got color, even the grass grew back. Here is it rain and lighting.
    I personally find those tails too big.
    The panthor on the left in the killing of the dad panel, well, some artists draw humans that way, especially the arms.

    The page with Cringers eyes ... man, those eyes are just wrong. Fantasy this or that, this set of eyes are humanoid. A Tiger and most every other animals eyes are like a full iris and a pupil. They whole eye of an animal is completely the iris what we see, only humans have those eyeballs that have a small iris and an even smaller pupil.
    And a tiger has beautiful round eyes with nice round pupils. At least the artist gave them eyes slits for pupils.


    That this hunt is supposed to go on for days is to me not good, like you guys said, there is no indication of a change of daytime. And that is for a comic that you should read and understand even without reading the text should show you the change of a daytime.
    And even in a fantasy world there should be some realism to help the foundation, so this cub would be dead by exhaustion after one day or so.
    The reason why cringer looks like a stuffed animal in that birds view panel is, that those comics are not drawn in a very big way. I mean they are not for print, so they don't have to use a gigantic format that they scan and reduce to hide sloppy things, no, here and all the other digitial comics, you see how ugly a page could look like. My guess is, that those images are drawn very loose on a paper that might be the size of an actual comic. Why? To save time and probably money. Problem is, you can't work in details on a small scale, like the mini cringer. He doen't even have stripes... the colorist could have helped here a little.

    He-Man appears... well, he looks like some really ugly male parts are dangling between his legs...
    I guess it is a style desicion but i can't get over it, that the lightning that comes and goes to and from his sword to zapp Cringer is made of light and he is in total darkness... I am a fan of lighting, and lightning, and i know, when the lightning strikes direclty in front of you, you don't absorb the light, no, you may be over exposed. I would have made him not black, i would have given him that blue shine at least for the outline on some parts to show a contour.
    That might have worked on the rocks as well, because only the panthors and cringer have the lightreflection on ther bodies. And with that lightning, all should be in a blue color, as should all the night scene, because everything is affected by the night light, but not the cats, no wonder they found the tigors.

    Little Cringer becoming the big guy... meh... there you are right, it makes no sense.

    Battle Cat going for the panthose. Well, those neck muscles of the guy on the lower left are just aweful and that strange ball on the lower right, what is that?

    For the boatcreature. As far as i take it, this helm thing was put there by fishguy and it went beserk, the few masters just wanted to make a little boattrip and made a fishy catch afterwars.
    There is good stuff for magic that either turns a nice gentle creature into a living hell or use the magic to change the normal boat into a creature of the sea to trap/capture or as it seems the new DC way, kill the other party.

    I like the panel at the end, when we see the fishguy hanging at that mast. He-Man looks stupid, don't like is outfit one bit. Now he has to watch out for rusting chainlinks and stuff...
    And that belt... man he is now a pro wrestler? He will never sneak up on somebody with that metal clanking here and there
    You meantioned the anatomical problems, but i have beaf with the helmet of Battle Cat. The helmet is going inside like a turtle and the sattle goes even in front of it on the shoulder of he-man.

    To personalities discussion. Yes, sounds like the german audioplay Cringer/Battle Cat Totally shizophrenic. And with He-Man, too. In that one episode He-Man want to find out a riddle and he talks with man-at-arms, and they come to the conclusion that he should be able to solve that riddle when he is Adam. So He-Man is a dumbdumb and Adam is a brainiac, as he did show in one of the UK Comics.

    What i don't like on the new DC Cringer is, that he is sooo big. I know his dad was also big but that leads again to that discussion to that he-man und adam looked alike and the myp cartoon made it correct and i agree.

    And man, again, what is that "thing" on the stairs behind Te-Ra? check it out, the black silhouette.
    Same panel, again a light thing for me... it is night, there are torches lit and the hardest of shadows is right below the torch. The light would have killed the shadow. The "good thing" is, that the torch itself, the holding thing, throws now shadow yay magic.
    And the bodysuit is just in that first panel, in the second, she kneels down to cringer and oh that is that... skin color leg or something else because she is happy to see him? Also her lower arm with the hand touching Cringer is waay to long.

    What i don't like is the claws, they are always showing.

    Didn't notice the battle cat engraving, Joe, that could be something!
    And i am with Joe there, he can remeber the stuff that happened before but he can't tell anyone, so why bother taking his memories.

    But i really like the last page a lot. There could have been more eastereggs but the amount of detail and designs are very nice. The shadows could be longer because of the fire but what the heck...
    In my comic will be "some" eastereggs as well, just for the fans to find.

    Ohboy, so much text for a comic that i even think as one of the better ones of the whole dc lot.
    I liked the way it was told.

    And congratulations if you got though my text Thanks for reading.

    thanks for listening and being awesome !!
    www.alternativemindz.com

    Abstract the Perspective

  9. #109
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,309
    With the the lack of dialogue in this issue it must have been hard to do a page by page review but you guys pulled off

    This was my favourite issue so far out of the first three issues and is still one of my favourite.

    I really don't get why some people take the use of a blonde hair Teela as such a slap in the face, I mean it's not like it's anything new, lots of vintage sources had her blonde. I just don't get why some people see it as taking something away from She-Ra. Same goes for her sword and you guys picked up one this, that NOT the Sword of Protection, it Teela's sword, she's had it since 2003 when her 200x figure came out with it, and her Classics figure also has it. If anything I'm glad they used this sword as it shows they are actually doing a little research.

    I agree in some of the panels its a little hard to tell whats going off, and that last picture of He-Man is so bad, he just looks fat, in fact his body shape reminds me of Krang's android body from the TMNT

    Looking forward to the next episode guys.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  10. #110
    Heroic Warrior MAXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Frelling Germany
    Posts
    742
    It is simple. The new designs are totally unneccessary.
    Like i said, there are enough blondes running around and to change Teela into a blonde is not good. Fans would have known imideately when they saw this battle Scene "That's Teela". Now it is all confusion. Also like i said on the Global Masters podcast, new fans to the series will discover there are Toys and maybe want the comic characters as Toys, but they won't get them because they have a different design... too bad. Now Mattel is bound to bring those designs in toyform, i don't hope it will happen... but we will see.
    See, if you pick up the first printed issue of Masters there is a He-Man we all know and like. Inside ... not so much. And with the new comic we see that the clothing will not change with the return of the memories... And i think a lot more people might be happier with the comics if the look would support the classic line because that might help sell more toys. So i think the new designs and all that strange styles are a bad decision.
    But who am i, right?

  11. #111
    Scrolls Reviewer Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,778
    Update

    A new episode has been recorded and will most likely be available to listen next week (currently in editing-phase).

  12. #112
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Update

    A new episode has been recorded and will most likely be available to listen next week (currently in editing-phase).
    Excellent - many thanks; I shall look forward to that!

  13. #113
    Heroic Warrior MAXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Frelling Germany
    Posts
    742
    cool and Jukka, the Avatar looks awesome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •