View Poll Results: MORTAL KOMBAT VS STREET FIGHTER

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

12 52.17%
  • STREET FIGHTER!!!

11 47.83%

Thread: PopCultureMania #9 (Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter)

PopCultureMania #9 (Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter)

MORTAL KOMBAT

VS

STREET FIGHTER

LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Mortal Kombat gets my vote easily.

I enjoyed the first 2 Street Fighter games, but once Mortal Kombat came around with the Fatalities, Street Fighter took a backseat for me.

Not to mention that the last few MK games were quite spectacular and the latest Street Fighter 4 game was horrible, IMO. I honestly enjoy the Capcom VS games more than Street Fighter at this point.

All hail Reptile!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

GET OVER HERE!!! I realize Street Fighter is more of a "gamer's fighting game", but I've always been a button masher. I like the mythology behind Mortal Kombat more than the loosely related characters of Street Fighter. I also prefer its movies more as well(although that's faint praise indeed). Mortal Kombat by far!

JOIN THE GROUP...

I love the bright cartooniness of Street Fighter, but I love the fighting styles, weapons, characters of Mortal Kombat more. Winner, Mortal Kombat.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Street Fighter...Sonny Chiba is the man! Oh, wait. This is about video games. Well, I still choose you, Street Fighter! I like Mortal Kombat. I like the blood. I like the violence. I like the fatalities. But the level of combos, strategy and trying to impart parity among characters are all in the favor of Street Fighter.

I like Scorpion. I like Shang Tsung. However, Street Fighter gave me my video game counterpart...Vega!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter. Never really had any interest in SF.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Street Fighter easy. I recognized immediately that if it wasn't for the blood in the first game Mortal Kombat would not have been popular. Oh and their use of digitized images that somehow people thought were better graphics.

I got banned from playing people in Mortal Kombat in high school, specifically MKII when I was exploiting the character moves to lock down other players. First it was I wasn't allowed to play a certain one, then certain ones, then not at all. The exception being to help them beat Shao Kahn.

I haven't played either in years though, I have heard MK has gotten better in the field of playing.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Game aside, id go for Mortal Kombat if it were all out street brawl.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Mortal Kombat should be replaced with King of Fighters in this poll. Mortal Kombat can't even touch Street Fighter. All Mortal Kombat had was cheap thrills, I'd rather play Time Killers!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Quote Originally Posted by a-star View Post
    Mortal Kombat should be replaced with King of Fighters in this poll. Mortal Kombat can't even touch Street Fighter. All Mortal Kombat had was cheap thrills, I'd rather play Time Killers!
    Sure, kids were drawn to Mortal Kombat initially due to the gore, but I feel it had a cool mythology to it that neither King Of Fighters nor Time Killers had.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Mortal Kombat can't even touch Street Fighter.
    Most gamers and sales of each of their last respective games would disagree with that.

All Mortal Kombat had was cheap thrills
    And cool interesting characters, environments and story lines. And fatalities!!

Mortal Kombat should be replaced with King of Fighters in this poll.
    If anything, Tekken should replace Street Fighter. I actually prefer Street Fighter to Tekken, but Tekken's popularity has surpassed Street Fighter's by far and is only rivaled by Mortal Kombat. I think the only place Street Fighter is still the most popular fighting game is in Japan.
    Last edited by dedset13; May 9, 2012 at 01:43pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I voted Mortal Kombat for one reason...

Last edited by Replikor; May 9, 2012 at 02:08pm.

Mortal Kombat

Superior mythos
    Superior characters
    Superior level designs
    Superior Visuals
    Superior Special Moves

Plus it has fatalaties and a live action movie that was actually respectful to the source material unlike the Street Fighter film

To me this is so far from close it isn't even funny. I have played Street Fighter games since the first one (yes shockingly Street Fighter 2 was not the first...the 2 in the title is the clue) and despite playing, 1, 2, 2 Turbo, 2 Championship Edition, New Challengers, 3, 4 and EX I can't tell you a single thing about the supposed story or really anything about any of the characters other then Ryu and Ken trained together and Blanka is really called Jimmy
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Sure, kids were drawn to Mortal Kombat initially due to the gore, but I feel it had a cool mythology to it that neither King Of Fighters nor Time Killers had.
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Most gamers and sales of each of their last respective games would disagree with that.

And cool interesting characters, environments and story lines. And fatalities!!

If anything, Tekken should replace Street Fighter. I actually prefer Street Fighter to Tekken, but Tekken's popularity has surpassed Street Fighter's by far and is only rivaled by Mortal Kombat. I think the only place Street Fighter is still the most popular fighting game is in Japan.
    Fatalities are the main reason Mortal Kombat sell any games at all. I must admit I don't consider the storyline or mythos whatsoever. I look at it purely from the point of game mechanics. If you look at this poll from the perspective of a competitive fighting game player there is no comparison, Mortal Combat doesn't even register. Its a novelty.

Tekken has merit, but it's more of a memorization game than anything. But its also the kind of game where there is an entire algorythm devoted to brest jiggle and males dont even have nipples I don't really bother with 3D fighters either, so I'm totally biased.

SNK forever!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I like both, but I like Street Fighter's characters and gameplay better. Once you get over the shock value of the MK games, see all the endings and unlock all the stuff in the Krypt, that's pretty much it.

Mortal Kombat gets major points for focusing on it's best characters, creating a mythology around them and dumping a bunch of those later extraneous 3D game characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)