Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone besides me prefer 80's-90's figures to today's?

HD figures on youtube

Anyone besides me prefer 80's-90's figures to today's?

I'm guessing that's a big no. But, I figured I would ask, just to kind of get a feel for the community. For me, as I explain in the video below, hate over-articulated figures. Most LOVE super articulation, but there's nothing about it I like really. Yeah, it MIGHT be nostalgia getting in the way, I won't argue with anyone who says that's the case.

But for me, the Marvel figures I prefer are the Toy-Biz figures, the WWF figures I like best are the Hasbro & Jakks BCA versions, TMNT the original line, and so far. I like the cartoony appearance 80's & 90's toys have, and the bright vivid colors.

I will ALWAYS be a toy collector, so now instead of buying modern toys I'm really not happy with, I'm going to track down all those 80's & 90's figures I love. I'm still into SOME modern stuff, like the Trash Pack, but hey, that's kind of a throw back to my childhood also.

So, am I completely alone here? I might just be, but hey, I'm use to being different. But if you do prefer those old toys, speak up!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    You're not alone. My Marvel collection (Superhero Squad not withstanding) is made up of the various animated lines from the '90s. Since Spidey and the X-Men are my favorite parts of Marvel, those collections are pretty darn thorough.

I do wish they had made more characters from the Captain America/Thor books, but since they didn't have cartoon tie-ins, it makes sense.

They're colorful, eye-catching, display well together, and there's some great character selection.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

HD figures on youtube
    You're not alone. My Marvel collection (Superhero Squad not withstanding) is made up of the various animated lines from the '90s. Since Spidey and the X-Men are my favorite parts of Marvel, those collections are pretty darn thorough.

I do wish they had made more characters from the Captain America/Thor books, but since they didn't have cartoon tie-ins, it makes sense.

They're colorful, eye-catching, display well together, and there's some great character selection.
    Thought I might be alone, & within seconds there you are! I totally agree with everything you said. I was HOOKED on the Toy-Biz stuff. Remember the hotline you could call? They would name off the available & upcoming waves, and even had a voice mail for you to tell them which characters you wanted made.

I called them weekly.

The first MOTU toy line was really special. They captured lightning in a bottle- the theme, marketing, incredible packaging artwork, minicomics and the toys themselves. I think the sculpting on the first MOTU toys holds up even today. G.I. Joe was a well made toy in the 80s too. G.I. Joe was amazing for itís time with the sculpts, paint, and articulation. There may have been some that are slightly better or equal, but I can only think of MOTU that can compare favorably. I enjoyed Thundercats.

I place a greater value on sculpts/paint than I do articulation.
    For the price point MOTUC is decent. I would like to buy Hot Toys, Sideshoe, 3A, etc. etc. I just canít pay that much right now.

I was able to pick this Banpresto Kinnikuman Buffaloman from Play Asia a few weeks ago with shipping for less than I can get figures through MattyCollector or my local toy store. The articulation is nil. It goes with the rest of my collection.

buffaloman.jpg

I thought the firing winch on the Wind Raider was neat and I'm glad the emphasis is on sculpt over articulation/action features.
    My collecting is going to continue in both eras. Iím excited what awaits us for the rest of this year and 2013.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    When it comes to toy shopping, I find it so much more fun to go to toy shows and flea markets and hunt down 80's and 90's toys. MOTUC and a few other things here and there are all I collect mdoern-wise. "Vintage" is much more fun for me!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Thought I might be alone, & within seconds there you are! I totally agree with everything you said. I was HOOKED on the Toy-Biz stuff. Remember the hotline you could call? They would name off the available & upcoming waves, and even had a voice mail for you to tell them which characters you wanted made.

I called them weekly.
    OK, that I didn't know about! Though I do miss going to TRU or KB and actually having my pick of new waves.

I particularly love the Spidey set. I recently redid mine (I use those glass IKEA cabinets), and drilled a few hooks into the top, and used women's clear plastic hair bands to suspend Green Goblin et al overhead.

I've been trying for a while to track down a Molten Man, actually - he was one of, if not the first, Toyfare exclusives.

HD figures on youtube
    I was able to pick this Banpresto Kinnikuman Buffaloman from Play Asia a few weeks ago with shipping for less than I can get figures through MattyCollector or my local toy store. The articulation is nil. It goes with the rest of my collection.
    That thing is AWESOME!

When it comes to toy shopping, I find it so much more fun to go to toy shows and flea markets and hunt down 80's and 90's toys. MOTUC and a few other things here and there are all I collect mdoern-wise. "Vintage" is much more fun for me!
    Woot! Man, I never see good toys at flea markets sadly. It's usually dolls. But hey, I don't mind ebay. I love MOTUC, but sadly had too many paint problems, missing items, and broken feet.

I particularly love the Spidey set. I recently redid mine (I use those glass IKEA cabinets), and drilled a few hooks into the top, and used women's clear plastic hair bands to suspend Green Goblin et al overhead.

I've been trying for a while to track down a Molten Man, actually - he was one of, if not the first, Toyfare exclusives.
    I would love to see your display!! Do you have a website or maybe a channel? Sounds like you have a great collection. I remember I was sooooo happy when they released that Spidey Famous Couples 2-pack with MJ, and Spidey with a swappable PP head. I gotta get that again!

I absolutely prefer 80ís toys over current toys. But Iím probably seeing things through nostalgia tinted glasses.

Not only do I prefer 80ís toys over their current counterparts in regards to lines like Transformers, Star Wars, GI*JOE, etc., I also prefer the 80ís exclusive lines such as M.A.S.K., Centurions, Silverhawks, etc. over any new 90ís and up toy lines.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Master of New Adventures!
    Just to cross reference from the Your Favorite TV Show Tunes thread, yes, I definitely prefer Victoria Prinicipal's 80's figure on DALLAS to anything I see today.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 3, 2012 at 08:05pm.

I'm guessing that's a big no. But, I figured I would ask, just to kind of get a feel for the community. For me, as I explain in the video below, hate over-articulated figures. Most LOVE super articulation, but there's nothing about it I like really. Yeah, it MIGHT be nostalgia getting in the way, I won't argue with anyone who says that's the case.

But for me, the Marvel figures I prefer are the Toy-Biz figures, the WWF figures I like best are the Hasbro & Jakks BCA versions, TMNT the original line, and so far. I like the cartoony appearance 80's & 90's toys have, and the bright vivid colors.

I will ALWAYS be a toy collector, so now instead of buying modern toys I'm really not happy with, I'm going to track down all those 80's & 90's figures I love. I'm still into SOME modern stuff, like the Trash Pack, but hey, that's kind of a throw back to my childhood also.

So, am I completely alone here? I might just be, but hey, I'm use to being different. But if you do prefer those old toys, speak up!
    I'm with you 100% My son got a new Lion-O and even he prefers the old style. Too much articulation means easier to break/more parts to lose/ (swapable hands for kids?!?!) Give me 80's style anyday. - seemed to last longer too!

I would love to see your display!! Do you have a website or maybe a channel? Sounds like you have a great collection. I remember I was sooooo happy when they released that Spidey Famous Couples 2-pack with MJ, and Spidey with a swappable PP head. I gotta get that again!
    I took a quick pic just now so you can get the idea of the setup. There are a number of other characters I'd like to track down, eventually.
    Toy Biz Marvel Figures.jpg

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Yes, I so prefer bricks with stickers that peel off compared to highly detailed toys with multiple points of articulation.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

HD figures on youtube
    Not only do I prefer 80’s toys over their current counterparts in regards to lines like Transformers, Star Wars, GI*JOE, etc., I also prefer the 80’s exclusive lines such as M.A.S.K., Centurions, Silverhawks, etc. over any new 90’s and up toy lines.
    I was never into Joe, but it was a groundbreaking line no doubt! The other lines you mentioned, oh heck yeah!

Just to cross reference from the Your Favorite TV Show Tunes thread, yes, I definitely prefer Victoria Prinicipal's 80's figure on DALLAS to anything I see today.
    Totally agree Jack!!!! She was, is, and will ALWAYS be one of the sexiest Women God put on this Earth! Can't go wrong with that kind of figure, & the more articulation the better.

I'm with you 100% My son got a new Lion-O and even he prefers the old style. Too much articulation means easier to break/more parts to lose/ (swapable hands for kids?!?!) Give me 80's style anyday. - seemed to last longer too!
    Right on!! Yeah, don't want to make anyone mad, but that new Lion-O looks awful do to all those ugly articulation points.

I took a quick pic just now so you can get the idea of the setup. There are a number of other characters I'd like to track down, eventually.
    Dude that's awesome!!! I love your display! Great to find someone who don't just collect these things, but proudly displays them! My hats off to ya. And even **** Tracy by Playmates?? Ok, I'm coming over!

Nah, figures today are just far superior in almost every way. Are you sure it’s not just down to having fond memories and warm nostalgic feelings?

The toys from the 80s etc were more durable and were great for play, but limited in posing but we still had pretty strong imaginations back then. How many of us used our parents styrofoam inserts from their new electronics as based for our toys?

Stylistically and the ability to pose a figure today figures win out, of course they often need stands to stand up (but so did most 80s and 90s toys).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Dude that's awesome!!! I love your display! Great to find someone who don't just collect these things, but proudly displays them! My hats off to ya. And even **** Tracy by Playmates?? Ok, I'm coming over!
    Heh - thanks. Dk. Tracy has always been a huge thing for me, but action figure marketing has been limited. It took me years to finally track down The Blank.

I love those IKEA cases too - I have four of them, two on either side of my bookshelves. One is filled with MOTU (vintage and NA), one with G.I. Joe: ARAH, and then the two in the pic above. The bookshelf is reserved for the two current lines I actively collect - MOTUC and DCUC (and G1 Transformers at the bottom.)

Everybody has their own preferences, and yes - many modern action figures are made better than those of yore (though not all) - but I have my favorites. I have little to no connection to a lot of modern lines...it really comes down to the property for me.

I was never into Joe, but it was a groundbreaking line no doubt! The other lines you mentioned, oh heck yeah!

Totally agree Jack!!!! She was, is, and will ALWAYS be one of the sexiest Women God put on this Earth! Can't go wrong with that kind of figure, & the more articulation the better.

Right on!! Yeah, don't want to make anyone mad, but that new Lion-O looks awful do to all those ugly articulation points.

I was going to make the articulation comment, but I figured I'd be pressing my luck. So thanks for that.

HD figures on youtube
    I was going to make the articulation comment, but I figured I'd be pressing my luck. So thanks for that.
    Haha, yeah, hopefully Val will go easy on me with the ban hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I think that's my problem with the articulation too....it just looks like crap a lot of times and kids don't care about posing things THAT much....its for the "adult collectors" but most are still toys meant for kids to play with! MOTUC is for adult collectors, says it on the box, makes sense to be articulated.....but not EVERY line needs/benefits from it. Sometimes simple is just better. I'll take "bricks with stickers that come off" as opposed to "highly detailed toys with multiple points of articulation" that break when you look at them or have 50 pieces to keep track of or lose anyday!

Haha, yeah, hopefully Val will go easy on me with the ban hammer!
    It's Thatman you have to worry about. He's the new Val.

HD figures on youtube

That's news to me, I had no idea!

Good thing I complimented him on his collection then!

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I absolutely prefer 80’s toys over current toys. But I’m probably seeing things through nostalgia tinted glasses.

Not only do I prefer 80’s toys over their current counterparts in regards to lines like Transformers, Star Wars, GI*JOE, etc., I also prefer the 80’s exclusive lines such as M.A.S.K., Centurions, Silverhawks, etc. over any new 90’s and up toy lines.
    Me too but I agree "nostalgia" is greatly influencing my preference I love the old rubber WWF LJN's from the 80s I think im the only one
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sportsandstuff777 View Post
    Me too but I agree "nostalgia" is greatly influencing my preference I love the old rubber WWF LJN's from the 80s I think im the only one
    I FORGOT about those....they were awesome! I had a Hulk Hogan and a Rowdy Roddy Piper....No Articulation but they had some epic matches, lol

HD figures on youtube

Heck no your not! I love the LJN wrestlers! I keep begging a guy I know to sell me his MOC Hogan, but he won't budge. I had a blast with those things as a kid. Imagination is all you need with those bad boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    That's news to me, I had no idea!

Good thing I complimented him on his collection then!
    First time I've been compared to Val. I'm flattered.