Thread: A question for Mint on Card collectors

A question for Mint on Card collectors

Hi guys,

I’m quite new around here and searched for this topic to see if it’s been discussed already so apologies if this is a redundant point/query but I was curious to know how other MOC collectors felt about the packaging of their figures?

In my experience, they often arrive from Matty in less than perfect condition. (My subscription Slush Head wasn’t in the best of shape).

I’m not referring to the actual toys themselves as I rarely open mine (although I am conscious of the below standard paintjobs and loose joints from reading many of your posts) but rather the condition of the bubble and cardboard itself. I’m specifically making reference to creases, tears and misshapen plastic.

The reason I bring this up is because I’m an anal perfectionist to the point that I’m often buying duplicates, if only because I’m striving to build a collection of perfectly packaged figures. I even have three or four of some characters (I’m embarrassed to say) especially when I’ve desperately sought after that absolutely perfect bubble and card.

It’s bad enough when I get them off eBay, in less than desirable condition. Of course I never complain and always give positive feedback, as I just see it as par for the course at this stage. However I do issue an exasperated sigh once in a while, when a seller describes a ‘perfectly conditioned’ item and I’m sitting there looking at a bent and creased card.

But when Mattel are guilty of the same thing (especially with reissues - I guess cos they've been knocked around in the warehouses for so long) I find myself wondering if I should really care anymore?

Is there any point in worrying so much and agonizing over this stuff when the toy manufacturer clearly can’t meet the (supposedly) lofty expectations of an adult collector? At least one who places such an emphasis on packaging. I have a few cases from Zoloworld but what’s the point in preserving items I already view as less than immaculate?

I can’t tell if I’m expecting too much from this line and if I should stop buying doubles, triples and quadruples of the same character. Storage is becoming a serious issue and if I hadn’t of cared so much about the quality of the cards, I would already own all of the figures. I need about three or four more to be up to date and have been aggressively purchasing them every month, since I started collecting a year ago.

I take no real satisfaction out of ripping these toys out and playing with them, so I don’t feel I’m missing out, but if I did open them all, at least I wouldn’t have to care so much about the bubbles etc.

On the rare occasion where I do open some, it’s because the packaging is so bad, that I’m just cutting my losses at that stage. Don’t get me wrong, it’s kinda cool posing a figure loosely on my shelf, but these are exceptions to the rule.

It’s not my agenda to bash Toyguru, because I take no satisfaction in that. I love Masters of the Universe, and I’ll collect this line to the bitter end, either way.

I guess I’m just curious about how the rest of you feel as the opinions of my fellow org. members (especially Mint on Card collectors) can help to influence my outlook and give me better perspective.

I didn’t care so much initially, but it feels a bit irrational to just continue this way, especially as the size of the line continues to grow. I’m starting to feel that it’s wiser in the long run just to tolerate the imperfections and not care so much. But I guess there is no right or wrong answer.

Thanks for reading and apologies again if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Regards,

Jamie
    Last edited by Nephilim; June 23, 2012 at 10:37am.

I have no real issues getting my in good shape but then again mine are not going on a 2nd over seas trip. Also Mattle uses the term adult collector very less.

MINT - 100% perfect does NOT exist in this line your fooling yourself if you think it does. They have a hard time keeping things in NM shape right from shipping. (99%-85%) Honestly people should be collecting this line for the simple pleasure of nostalgia alone. The collector market is really a smoke screen in the modern collecting world. There is litterally 5,000 plus items of every single figure released right now. Name more than 5 MOTUC that GET consistently more than 2X their original asking price. Simply put ask yourself if you get any real joy from having them rather than the prospect of turning a profit on them. I count my collection as a financial loss BUT a huge personal gain cause theyre so damn cool...
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    MINT - 100% perfect does NOT exist in this line your fooling yourself if you think it does. They have a hard time keeping things in NM shape right from shipping. (99%-85%) Honestly people should be collecting this line for the simple pleasure of nostalgia alone. The collector market is really a smoke screen in the modern collecting world. There is litterally 5,000 plus items of every single figure released right now. Name more than 5 MOTUC that GET consistently more than 2X their original asking price. Simply put ask yourself if you get any real joy from having them rather than the prospect of turning a profit on them. I count my collection as a financial loss BUT a huge personal gain cause theyre so damn cool...
    Not everybody keep their collections MOC because they plan to sell them later.
    All my collections (motu, saint seyia, portrait of pirates, final fantasy, street figher, etc etc) stay MOC because i like them more that way..it's like having a huge toy shop in the house with everything you could want inside!

Of course that's also the reason I can't find a satisfying toy shop wherever i go anymore ..

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    it's like having a huge toy shop in the house with everything you could want inside!
    That's my same idea!
    I want to do a large MOTUC column with all the boxes!
    The last great waste of money will be a large amount of Zolo World Cases!
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; June 24, 2012 at 05:51am.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Like I said, I freely admit that I’m an anal perfectionist so it’s simply out of a willingness to own a collection befitting of my expectations. Not because I plan to sell them on for profit. I could never part with them as I’m fanatical about Masters of the Universe, which of course harkens from an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and adoration of the franchise. I’d rather go homeless and hungry than put my stuff up for sale!!

It’s a gigantic financial loss, but much like yourself, I think Classics are fantastic so will keep buying them.

I’m just questioning if there is any point stressing over creases on the card and imperfections to the bubble. I keep them in the packaging out of personal preference as I prefer to display them that way. And to put this in context, the good majority of my figures are in excellent condition, but I've often had to purchase duplicates in order to accomplish this. However considering the financial obligation to buy every figure until the line ends, it no longer feels logical to strive for that absolutely highest level of perfection I had originally hoped for. In an ideal world, parting with my money once should have been enough. Not paying for something and hoping I get it in a satisfying state.

Principle alone dictates that if Mattel are not consistent in keeping up their end of the bargain by providing me with immaculately packaged figures, perhaps collecting them in that condition shouldn't be a priority either?

I may have just answered my own question.

Appreciate the feedback so far!

- - - Updated - - -

it's like having a huge toy shop in the house with everything you could want inside!
    EXACTLY.

Every time I look at my display I feel like I'm in a toy shop and am seven years old again. I can't describe how great that feels. I still recall the wonder and fascination in which I used to stand in the toy aisle utterly transfixed. Agonising over which figure to choose cos my mother would only buy me one a week. Saturday never came too soon.
    Last edited by Nephilim; June 23, 2012 at 02:18pm.

To be honest, only 2 of mine have come with less than perfect cards or bubbles....and then it's only a slight crease in the card or a bubble that has a few creases....I have never recieved something that looks like a bull went toe to toe with it. I have only gotten one from Ebay, an original Mer-Man that came without a mailer, and what little damage the card had was that is was slightly separating from the bubble taking the paper with it, but was an easy fix with glue, and you can't really tell without looking at it really closely.

Other than that even others from Ebay have been really nice and damage free....I don't look for C10, or even C9 from anything mailed to me, C10 will never happen in a retail environment at all, not even from retail figures sent from factory to online retailers....even though I would grade most I have gotten C9, but at least C8 or better let's put it that way....to me I have gotten almost flawless packages, but there are some scrapes and bruises, that don't even bother me, or are even that noticeable without a really close up look.

First off, why does everyone think MOSC collectors are trying to turn a profit on toys? Doesn't anyone think we can get enjoyment from looking at our collection carded & boxed? You're fooling yourself, if you think MOSC collectors can't get the same amount of joy that the loose collectors get.... I for one do, I collect MOSC, because I for one was really hard on my toys, and when I get something I can't leave it alone....even now, and I prefer to have a few of my favorites as loose extras, and still have a MOSC of that figure too, I have 6 loose figures, one is a TRU Stratos, because I paid half the asking price and I did not want Hawkman....same with my Mo-Larr Skeletor....I did not want Mo-Larr, and I paid half.

I am not collecting MOSC for an investment, and I really doubt many others are either. I prefer to collect that way, and that's all there is too it.

And I miss the way toy aisles were when I was a kid, so with me as well, I like seeing MOSC toys, because it reminds me of those days I miss so much.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    And I miss the way toy aisles were when I was a kid, so with me as well, I like seeing MOSC toys, because it reminds me of those days I miss so much.
    Me too dude. When I take my kids out to the toy stores here in England, I see nothing that even closely resembles Masters of the Universe which is disappointing. I can't help but feel my little boys are missing out. Though quite recently I was pleasantly surprised to come across an awesome Thundercats display from the new cartoon. I was standing in the toy aisle for ages looking at the figures, vehicles and the big plastic sword. It almost felt like I was a kid again. In the end, my girlfriend ended up spending about £100 ($155) on almost everything they were selling, except for the Thundertank. So for about 45 minutes I thought she was the coolest chick in the world.

But then she led me to the store across the street and persuaded me to buy her an iPad.

Next time I'll buy my own toys.

Not everybody keep their collections MOC because they plan to sell them later.
    All my collections (motu, saint seyia, portrait of pirates, final fantasy, street figher, etc etc) stay MOC because i like them more that way..it's like having a huge toy shop in the house with everything you could want inside!

Of course that's also the reason I can't find a satisfying toy shop wherever i go anymore ..
    With me it's the USE of the term MINT. I have a fairly descent collection up in my SECRET LAIR (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...et-lair-photos ) I'm not looking to turn a profit but THAT is the main reason grading exists ( my toys are better than yours) I have 2 subs the better box goes on the wall Unless the figure is going to be displayed loose in which case the butchered paint job gets opened up first so I can repaint any flaws that I cant live with.
    Last edited by smanomega; June 27, 2012 at 10:44am. Reason: adding link
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

With me it's the USE of the term MINT. I have a fairly descent collection up in my SECRET LAIR ( use the search feature you'll find the thread in the customs section) I'm not looking to turn a profit but THAT is the main reason grading exists ( my toys are better than yours) I have 2 subs the better box goes on the wall Unless the figure is going to be displayed loose in which case the butchered paint job gets opened up first so I can repaint any flaws that I cant live with.
    The term also means that the figure is fresh from the factory, untouched by hands since it was packaged....therefore the figure can be considered mint condition, the term was originated by coin collectors....If you think about it it's a generic term for everything else to mean factory fresh.

Most collectors basically use it just to say, hey it's never been touched, because the condition it was packaged in, arrived in, and now sits on my shelf....is the way is will be until someone decides to open it. The figure will remain tight jointed, no pieces will be lost, regardless if the figure has flaws, they are flaws from the factory, not caused by me or anyone else.

So the term Mint, means that the figure is that particular figure, is in it's best possible condition, from the factory, untouched by hands once packaged. People say Mint for loose figures, and to me, that will never be the case, because everyone messes with the figure, and begins to loosen the joints just by moving it one time, therefore it is no longer factory fresh, or mint condition because by handling it, you already caused deterioration in it's condition.

Now for collector cards, it means something completely different....A Mint Card, is an opened, loose card, with perfect edges, no creases, just like it was cut from the sheet....so really the term is kind of generic for everything except coins, or anything that actually comes from a MINT.

That's like calling every brand of transparent tape, Scotch tape, it's a generic term.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I’m quite new around here and searched for this topic to see if it’s been discussed already so apologies if this is a redundant point/query but I was curious to know how other MOC collectors felt about the packaging of their figures?

In my experience, they often arrive from Matty in less than perfect condition. (My subscription Slush Head wasn’t in the best of shape).

I’m not referring to the actual toys themselves as I rarely open mine (although I am conscious of the below standard paintjobs and loose joints from reading many of your posts) but rather the condition of the bubble and cardboard itself. I’m specifically making reference to creases, tears and misshapen plastic.
    This is something that annoys me as well. It happens very often that the sides of the card (the top in particular) are shafed or have small dents and creases. I guess this is partially due to the new mailer boxes which are way too tight. But I'm quite picky about my carded figures so I probably don't speak for the majority.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I am both a loose and MOC collector and there is no such thing as 100% mint in ANY toy line. Whether the card is bent in shipping, dinged up when it is put onto a peg hook, dropped by a customer looking at it, tossed around on its way to warehouses, or manufactured wrong, etc. There is always going to be something that keeps the card from being in pristine shape. Out of any line, I would say the highest score I have ever seen a card in mint condition was 90%, so usually, I just worry more about the figure with the best paint job (after all, you don't want a bad paint job for a figure in the package) and then try to get the best possible condition of the package from there.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I too collect MOC. Althought I must say that 90% of what I get is pretty good in terms of package condition - I do occasionally get one that has a crease or a bubble scuff. My Horde Prime's inner bubble that holds the figure has a crushed corner up top, this is obviously done at the factory since the outer bubble is perfect, but even that doesn't bother me. I guess what I look for is not perfection, I just don't want something that is compromising to the view of the figure. Recently I have started to use zolo cases and every figure looks stellar even though they may not be, and I love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Hemotoggy View Post
    I too collect MOC. Althought I must say that 90% of what I get is pretty good in terms of package condition - I do occasionally get one that has a crease or a bubble scuff. My Horde Prime's inner bubble that holds the figure has a crushed corner up top, this is obviously done at the factory since the outer bubble is perfect, but even that doesn't bother me. I guess what I look for is not perfection, I just don't want something that is compromising to the view of the figure. Recently I have started to use zolo cases and every figure looks stellar even though they may not be, and I love that!
    I love those cases, I have been using then since the first month I collected, back in August '11, and i love what they do for the figures, they give them a much more Collector feel, and keep the cards and bubbles in pristine shape, and they also allow you to open a figure, so long as you leave the bubble attached at the bottom flap, they will still look sealed. I had my original Demo Man opened because I wasn't going to keep him, only the head, but he grew on me really fast, so for a few months until March when he went on sale again, I had him in the ZW case like that, and he still looked factory sealed, even though he wasn't.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Personally I collect them and display them mint on card because I like them better that way. From an investment point of view, it doesn't really affect my decision one way or the other. I don't want to open them cause they get dusty, and i don't want to lose their accessories. You could suggest a large display case, and that works in theory but I have neither the space, time, or money to do all that. About the creases in the cards I don't really care as I'm not planning on selling them. So I wouldn't sweat it. If you're not going to sell them it shouldn't matter, unless you're ocd. Then I suggest therapy to combat that problem. Just sayin. I went to therapy for my ocd I was one of those ones who washed their hands 60 times a day. Now I wash them when they're dirty.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Appreciate the feedback guys, (both in this thread and privately in my inbox) your posts have been really insightful. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed some of the issues I've mentioned but at the same time I can tell that my desire for a collection of pristinely packaged and immaculately bubbled toys is somewhat unrealistic. As some of you have rightly pointed out, if I don't plan to sell these figures, a few creases and imperfections here and there shouldn't matter. Which is actually a relief. Even so, it'll be hard to break old habits overnight and I'll likely still pick up doubles now and again, but for the most part I'm just going to be happy with what I've got and appreciate my figures as they are. And as previously mentioned, most of them do look awesome -even under intense scrutiny- but for those that fall slightly short, I'll remember that it's the figures inside that ultimately count. In fact, I'm in a great position to begin a loose collection with the extras I've purchased.

And in response to a previous poster, there is every likelihood that I may be a little ocd (at least when it comes to MOTU) but I have a feeling that I wouldn't be the first. Especially around here!

Thanks again guys!

You've likely saved me a fortune.

I just have to decide what to spend my money on now I'm close to owning every figure, as I barely notice the cost of the sub. Mostly because my job pays me monthly, the 15th of every month to be precise, which is certainly convenient for this line.

Heroic Warrior
    In my opinion DON'T go to Matty for perfect pristine carded figures. That's got to be a sign of clinical insanity!!!

1) MOSC collector's are a mystery to me ANYWAY... the idea that all the enjoyment of an awesome toy can be lost due to a ding or crease on the box is just a completly different way of thinking to me...

but... REGARDLESS...

If you want 100% perfect, Order off E-bay. Get pictures of the item you want to buy. Matty's whole philosophy of 'sight unseen' CAN'T be the best way to do it... You may pay more off Ebay.... but it'll be cheaper then buying 3-4 copies sight unseen and STILL being unhappy.

That said... MOST people aren't as picky as you are (by your own addmission). If you have 3 or 4 extra figures lying around the house that you deem unworthy of your collection....

SELL THEM!!!!

This line is continually sold out. You can easily make back your lost money... AND free up some valuable space.

Regardless, nobody here can tell you whether you should or should not 'care' about the card... That's your call. My only advice would be not to put yourself in the poorhouse buying things you don't actually want. If you don't care about the card... don't buy 4. If you don't want 4... don't buy 4, or sell the extras!

Matty's online philosophy isn't the greatest fit for every collector. You definitely sound like someone who should see what he's paying for before you order.

I personally don't mind slight problems, of course I would like them to come as good as possible, but if there are small problems it does not really matter.

I collect both loose and MOC and like the MOC so I can use them like wallpaper, covering every square inch of wall space

As for the vintage toys, I think small defects,creases, scuffs ect adds to their character and age. Also if I can get a good deal on an item just cause it has some
    light creases or problems even better!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/