Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

Well I can't help myself... when I learned that the final Stinkor is different from the prototype I watched Dan's video again. I have to say, that I love him this way it makes him different from other figures and I think that it's great that not every figure looks the same. However, I don't like the lack of paint details on the accessories.

Take a closer look at him in the video and then tell me if you are with me!

Not every change in a figure is the end of the world, be open for it!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    They don't bother me much, I'll judge once I have Stinkor in hand. But I don't want this type of thing happening again though - if it's supposed to be different - make sure you tell the 4HM to sculpt it differently.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Left is the Proto.

Still looks awesome?

Comparison image by Slayer from the Pixel Dan review thread
    Last edited by Smashtoys; April 20, 2012 at 07:18am.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Now it looks like he's wearing long rubber gloves, like he's going to wash dishes or do surgery. I don't like it at all.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Well I can't help myself... when I learned that the final Stinkor is different from the prototype I watched Dan's video again. I have to say, that I love him this way it makes him different from other figures and I think that it's great that not every figure looks the same. However, I don't like the lack of paint details on the accessories.

Take a closer look at him in the video and then tell me if you are with me!

Not every change in a figure is the end of the world, be open for it!
    There's always at least one.

I like him this way as well...he really pops.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

honestly i'd have to see it in hand. I'm not very anal when it comes to these things, but somethings I can't let slide. well I can but it annoys me a bit.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

For me this is such a non-issue that I could barely bring myself to care enough to even write this post.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    You said it!

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    In 20 minutes I made this to help everybody to understand.
    As you can see the problems are not the fins. Yeah, I prefer the classic fins pointin' outside but finally who cares if they are pointin' outside or inside.
    The problem is that they are swapped and you can see those Eternian Tumors™ that ruin every forearms!

Last edited by JoeyCruel; April 20, 2012 at 06:50pm.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    In 20 minutes I made this to help everybody to understand.
    As you can see the problems are not the fins. Yeah, I prefer the classic fins pointin' outside but finally who cares if they are pointin' outside or inside.
    The problem is that they are swapped and you can see those Eternian Tumors™ that ruin every forearms!

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2...frontation.jpg
    The fixed image barely looks any different. I don't get the fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The fixed image barely looks any different. I don't get the fuss.
    Take a look at the right forearm in the picture linked below. Note that the big lump on the outside of the right forearm looks a bit "off". That is what's called the belly of the forearm. Stinkor's right arm is the worst of the two, since the two sculpts are not mirror images. To me it looks like one of those "muscle suits" that look riduculous, and are worn on Halloween. That or it looks like he's wearing spanxs filled with potatoes. It looks bad.

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/04/first-l...nkor/stinkor-4

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    This whole situation just reeks (how appropriate) of Scott trying to cover up yet another mistake. We are expected to buy that the design team actually discussed this and came up with this idea? Rubbish.

For me personally, Mattel has now screwed up two of the figures that I loved as a kid the most and was anticipating when I heard about this line, Roboto and now Stinkor.. I remember commenting to a friend that if they find a way to screw up Stinkor, I'm done. It's sad but I'm ready to throw in the towel.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    Stinkor is my fav motu fig of all time... I cannot believe the negativity surrounding such a minor and insignificant configuration of what has gone unnoticed until now.

I often avoid the .org for the abundance of negativity over what is an awesome line that brings back nostalgia and a new look that mist if us here love.

Stinkor is one awesome MOTUC figure. Please don't Kill the spirit of getting such a great figure iver something so small and trivial.

Enjoy it!!! Just like we all did ad a kid

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtowells View Post
    Stinkor is my fav motu fig of all time... I cannot believe the negativity surrounding such a minor and insignificant configuration of what has gone unnoticed until now.

I often avoid the .org for the abundance of negativity over what is an awesome line that brings back nostalgia and a new look that mist if us here love.

Stinkor is one awesome MOTUC figure. Please don't Kill the spirit of getting such a great figure iver something so small and trivial.

Enjoy it!!! Just like we all did ad a kid
    You have to understand something very important.

The passion you've just expressed, over the joy of the character and what it means to you is absolutely no different than the passion and disappointment many of us feel.

I am an amature artist and sculptor in my free time and as such can absolutely not ignore these problems - they literally ruin the figure for me.

Many here can claim the same, are just more observant, or are just tired of flawed figures and, they to, can not reconcile this issue.

Please understand; I am not calling you out. But for a lot of us, this isn't a minor issue and it does detract, if not outright ruin, this figure for us.

If you can enjoy Stinkor in spite of this problem, then that's really great. But again, no disrespect intended, but we are not beholden to censor our feeling as not to bring the mood down for others.

Australian MOTU Fanatic! Aussie Stinkor's Avatar
    Everyone is entitled to share their opinion and expression about any disappointments.. Everyone is passionate about the line just like me..

I was just expressing my general disappointment with 'negativity' about the line in general. Posts like 'the lines coming to an end' and 'i hope mattel loses subscribers' really keep me away from the org and can suck all the excitement over figures.

This particular matter (stinkors arms) may or may not be intentional but it has zero impact on me loving the figure.

I LOVE to show off my collection to both motu fans and non motu fans.. People don't look at my collection and say 'gee look at the arms on that skunk guy - the fins go a different way to the green guy' or 'gee look at the veins on the legs of that white horse.. Some of them run down one part if his legs and diff on the other'

Yeah people here have the right to express their disappointment over aspects of the line and thats what democracy is all about... But step back and look at your display once in a while and just see how frickin awesome this line is..

See my video link below for an example of that

Long live MOTUC

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Part of me wishes I was going to SDCC to address these issues during the Q&A. While some people would see this as being a kill joy over all the new, shiny things that Mattel has put in front of us (hoping we will forget the missteps over the last 3 years), I really think its time that the message be delivered in a different way, as it's apparent that trying to address issues through forums have garnered negligible results at best. Maybe some the higher ups attend the biggest convention of the year and perhaps it's the best opportunity to make our concerns heard.

And before anyone jumps all over me saying that I'm suggesting a lynch mob, that's not what I'm saying at all. I think there is a assertive, direct, and professional way to communicate our dissatisfaction with the issues without having to resort to torches and pitchforks.
    Last edited by Mr_Yuck; April 24, 2012 at 07:43pm.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

Huh what did Mattel change in the dc sub?
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Huh what did Mattel change in the dc sub?
    atrocticus.

but changes to dc figs from proto to final are typically done, probably due to cost cutting measures. it's not the same types of changes we see in motuc.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    atrocticus.

but changes to dc figs from proto to final are typically done, probably due to cost cutting measures. it's not the same types of changes we see in motuc.
    I thought the changes to Atrocitus (using the PE legs) were to try to please fans by making him "taller" with taller legs. Of course, that backfired.

i'll be curious to see if when customizors get stinkor if the forearms have the correct R/L symbols on them - meaning the one marked R is on the Right arm vs the the R is on the Left arm. If it's the latter, then the mistake (if there was one) was made at the factory. and if that's the case, why wouldn't matty force them to fix their mistake.
    I feel like this has been covered (maybe in the PD review thread?) but this probably won't matter. When they were molded, they were surely molded with the "correct" symbols to show the original intention as 4H designed it and as we saw in the test shot. If an intentional decision was made to reverse the forearms, this would surely have been made after the mold was done and I doubt they went through the trouble of changing the mold to reflect the new configuration. I mean, thinking back I do think small mold changes like that might be possible in some fashion. I seem to recall that happening at work. But it might not be conclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I thought the changes to Atrocitus (using the PE legs) were to try to please fans by making him "taller" with taller legs. Of course, that backfired.
    i'd have to look again, but it looked like they went from sculpted boots to non-sculpted boots.

i'd have to look again, but it looked like they went from sculpted boots to non-sculpted boots.
    yes they went from sculpted to non sculpted PE shins to try and give him some more height, so Mattel was trying to do something the fans asked for. Just like Mirror Master is now showing up no ebay with 2 open hands vs 1 open hand shown at Toy Fair.

People act like Mattel is just out to mess things up for fun (not meaning you Eldest)

The make mistakes, but sometimes believe or it not they get it right and generally do not get the credit for
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Wow what an uproar...I feel everyone here! As usual I won't take a position on who is to blame and concentrate on a solution for everyone.

will see once I have Stinkor in my hands. The elbows should be labeled correctly with R and L respectively.

Switching elbows, legs, etc etc is the simplest part of customizing/repairing a motuc figure -trust me I make a living out of it- That will be no problem and if needed i will make a video for it, what worries me are 2 things:

-the patterns on the paint will be mismatched and you will have to repaint them
    -If the pachuli used was applied like a sort of oil, the parts will have to be washed, so the paint sticks, thus loosing the scent.

Of course its such a small piece that I do not think that it will even make a difference, but to those who like to "boil and pop" your figures I have one for you: Your stinkor will loose the scent if you boil and pop the thing. So ready your hairdryers! Unless of course if you want to submerge just the arm, risking to burn yourself, making a mess etc be my guest. In my line of work time is money so I just see the easiest, fastest way where everyone can choose to fix your figure, or leave it just as it is.

All in all, is not a big deal to repair, (unlike a reversed shoulder) I suggest everyone who wants to do a swap, getting a hold of flat black and flat white from model masters acryl and a thin brush (preferably made of camel hair) and ready your skills!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Knight View Post
    Wow what an uproar...I feel everyone here! As usual I won't take a position on who is to blame and concentrate on a solution for everyone.

will see once I have Stinkor in my hands. The elbows should be labeled correctly with R and L respectively.

Switching elbows, legs, etc etc is the simplest part of customizing/repairing a motuc figure -trust me I make a living out of it- That will be no problem and if needed i will make a video for it, what worries me are 2 things:

-If the pachuli used was applied like a sort of oil, the parts will have to be washed, so the paint sticks, thus loosing the scent.

Of course its such a small piece that I do not think that it will even make a difference, but to those who like to "boil and pop" your figures I have one for you: Your stinkor will loose the scent if you boil and pop the thing. So ready your hairdryers! Unless of course if you want to submerge just the arm, risking to burn yourself, making a mess etc be my guest. In my line of work time is money so I just see the easiest, fastest way where everyone can choose to fix your figure, or leave it just as it is.

All in all, is not a big deal to repair, (unlike a reversed shoulder) I suggest everyone who wants to do a swap, getting a hold of flat black and flat white from model masters acryl and a thin brush (preferably made of camel hair) and ready your skills!!
    Hunter Knight, would you be kind and post of video of how to switch Stinkor's forearms - once you have him? I am sure I am not the only one here who would benefit greatly from such video and be grateful at the same time
    Evil Master of Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Knight View Post

If I remember correctly they mixed the the pachuli oil in with the plastic when the figures were tooled and manufactured so it's part of the plastic figure and shouldn't wash off.