Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior

Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

Well I can't help myself... when I learned that the final Stinkor is different from the prototype I watched Dan's video again. I have to say, that I love him this way it makes him different from other figures and I think that it's great that not every figure looks the same. However, I don't like the lack of paint details on the accessories.

Take a closer look at him in the video and then tell me if you are with me!

Not every change in a figure is the end of the world, be open for it!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Personal preference aside, the anatomy is wrong.

Muscles don't flow that way, and since the majority of the anatomy is based on human musculature, this will always be wrong and out of place.

If they wanted the fins pointing in a different direction they should have greenlit the production of a new forearm.

The mere notion that this was a good idea, when reversed pieces have been so vehemently opposed within the community (and not just here), is borderline inconceivable.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Personal preference aside, the anatomy is wrong.

Muscles don't flow that way, and since the majority of the anatomy is based on human musculature, this will always be wrong and out of place.

If they wanted the fins pointing in a different direction they should have greenlit the production of a new forearm.

The mere notion that this was a good idea, when reversed pieces have been so vehemently opposed within the community (and not just here), is borderline inconceivable.
    As the forearms are based on the Beast Man body and furry... aren't they NEW pieces?!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    They don't bother me much, I'll judge once I have Stinkor in hand. But I don't want this type of thing happening again though - if it's supposed to be different - make sure you tell the 4HM to sculpt it differently.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Left is the Proto.

Still looks awesome?

Comparison image by Slayer from the Pixel Dan review thread
    Last edited by Smashtoys; April 20, 2012 at 07:18am.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Now it looks like he's wearing long rubber gloves, like he's going to wash dishes or do surgery. I don't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    As the forearms are based on the Beast Man body and furry... aren't they NEW pieces?!
    Yes, the Four Horsemen sculpted new forearms just for Stinkor. That doesn't change the fact that they are assembled incorrectly.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I find it kinda odd that they'd waste time sculpting new parts such as this, where - whilst I'm all for as many new parts as possible - existing parts woulda easily worked here; yet on other occasions, when something is crying out for a new or unique part, they don't seem to bother.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Yes, the Four Horsemen sculpted new forearms just for Stinkor. That doesn't change the fact that they are assembled incorrectly.
    Well, I just can't help myself but on the picture the muscles look okay for me, nothing wrong... it's also not that the fins are now on the inside where they have been on the outside before... they are in a totally different position so I cannot see what was assembles wrong... the picture on the right shows that. If they really are assembled wrong they should be seen pointing towards the body but they are not.

If they want to differentiate figures that are basic molds, then do something more creative. For instance, give Clamp Champ the long loincloth (think about it).
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Semantics.

The fact of the matter is that after the prototyping faze was already completed, be it error or deliberately, this change was instituted and lauded as a triumph.

Creating something in error and calling it stylistic expression does not make it so. Would that excuse hold in a school or proffesional graphic design setting? But of course, those standards don't apply to this niche market.

Just because some are less discriminating than others here does not excuse mistakes.

What's next - reversed torsos to break up the monotony of everyone having similar upper-bodies? Extreme example? Truly, but it ultimately is the exact same point and argument.

I agree while it's not overly bad, it looked better before, and to act like they did it for aesthetics is stupid, the figure should be assembled correctly, and put together the way the 4H intended.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Well I can't help myself... when I learned that the final Stinkor is different from the prototype I watched Dan's video again. I have to say, that I love him this way it makes him different from other figures and I think that it's great that not every figure looks the same. However, I don't like the lack of paint details on the accessories.

Take a closer look at him in the video and then tell me if you are with me!

Not every change in a figure is the end of the world, be open for it!
    There's always at least one.

Wow...those forearms look horrible. Not the sculpt, but this one actually looks like it's assembled wrong. The reversed shoulders looked wrong but they didn't jump out at you...this is horrible!

Heroic Warrior
    He looks like he broke his arms and now they're bent at an unnatural position. I'll be taking on the biggest figure painting project I've ever done and will be attempting to fix this problem once he arrives. Shame that my most wanted MOTU figure gets this kind of treatment.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Do his forearms pop off? Or do we have to do something different to change them?
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    How are they assembled wrong? Sorry, but I fail to see how they are wrong.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Do his forearms pop off? Or do we have to do something different to change them?
    yeah, this is what i want to know. how easy is it to switch them. reversed shoulders looked kinda complicated and they didn't bother me THAT much. but this is just aesthetically displeasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    How are they assembled wrong? Sorry, but I fail to see how they are wrong.
    Same with me. I have been straining my eyes at the pictures ever since forearmgate arose, and I fail to see anything wrong. Can any of you post that side by side picture with the details you are seeing wrong circled and marked? Thanks!

That being said, I won't have any problems with it. It's a strange reason to alter a toy. It doesn't "pop" for me. But I love my Hsss, so I am sure I will love my Stinkor.

The difference: The "belly" of the forarm, that's the rounded bulk of the inside of the forearm, is now a huge tumor on the outside of his forearm. Since the 2 pieces are not perfect mirror images, they differ slightly, Stinkor's right arm is the most dramatic of the two. You will be able to tell when you get him in hand. I'll be putting his shield on his right arm because of this. His left arm is almost passable, and if it weren't for the anatomical problems that this creates, it would almost look decent, though still not neccessary in the slightest.

The Swap: As for swapping the forearms, it's difficult. The pins are one of the more difficult joints to re-assemble, though not terribly difficult to dis-assemble. The hands are very easy to swap. But you will then have white stripes on the inside of his forearms, and no stripe on the outside where they belong, meaning that not only do you have to deal with a difficult proccess to switch them, you also have to deal with repainting the figure. If you've never painted a figure before, just wait until you try painting white over those black forearms, and when you see the sloppy white spikes of the stripe that you paint, contrasted to the perfect lines of the factory stripes, you'll really be thanking Mottel. Also, the paints you use will almost certainly age differently than the ones used by the factory, meaning that one will fade or yellow faster, leaving them two-toned. : ) This is so much more than a simple swap, and it will be almost impossible to get a good job done, thanks to the nature of the paint apps. Thanks Mottel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mound View Post
    Same with me. I have been straining my eyes at the pictures ever since forearmgate arose, and I fail to see anything wrong. Can any of you post that side by side picture with the details you are seeing wrong circled and marked? Thanks!

That being said, I won't have any problems with it. It's a strange reason to alter a toy. It doesn't "pop" for me. But I love my Hsss, so I am sure I will love my Stinkor.
    in one picture the fins of his gloves point outward. in the other, you cant see the fins because they are pointing to his booty.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    yeah, this is what i want to know. how easy is it to switch them. reversed shoulders looked kinda complicated and they didn't bother me THAT much. but this is just aesthetically displeasing.
    Just a matter of heating the elbow joint, prying the pin out and swapping the elbows. A very easy procedure, but the white lines down his arms would be swapped, so a repaint would be needed as well

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Just a matter of heating the elbow joint, prying the pin out and swapping the elbows. A very easy procedure, but the white lines down his arms would be swapped, so a repaint would be needed as well

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Please see post #20.

I know Mattel stated that they changed them on purpose for a new look, but they just look weird to me. And as a HUGE Stinkor fan I had hoped to have a perfect figure representation
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.