Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

Something that people who say "So what?" need to consider is this; The outrage of fans over this will almost certainly mean a dramatic drop in 2013 subs, meaning the good chance of the line dying. I'm not a defeatist, I think Mattel can fix this at little to no cost, but if they let this one alone, they will definately suffer a loss of subs next year. Whether that loss is enough to kill the line remains to be seen. Have some foresight people, and stop looking at the one tree because there's a forest fire just behind it.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I don't know if everyone saw these pictures that I added...
    I think to repost again for the new comers....

If this post is useless or redundant please delete it, I don't want to hurt anybody.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Week 5, polls 17 vote for
    Colonel Blast

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    If they were using the Skeletor forarm you might have a point but these are brand new forarms with scupted fur at the elbow so even though mattel design made a choice to swap the forarms to give the figure a better look in their opinion it's still a new sculpted part and might not look so bad in hand. Pixel Dan saw Stinkor at Toy Fair Never noticed the forarms and they were already like what we are getting now, then Dan gets him in hand and reviews him and NEVER said a thing about the arms. So it probably isn't such a big deal.
    They were designed after Skeletor's so the look is identical, except Stinkor has fur above the gloves....so they should have been left alone....if they wanted to reverse the gloves, then that should have been done in the sculpting phase by the 4H, but it wasn't. They say they leave design and colors up to them, but they do this to one of their designs?

I can tell by the review pics they don't look right, I could tell something was off when I saw the reviews, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I llok at my Skeletor all the time, and to have Stinkor next to him when and if, I get him....I will seriously be able to tell there is something way off, because I for one actually like the looks of the fins, and being behind the arms will look like crap.

So in hand or not, I don't like it....I can tell all I need to know from the pics, it's not a color difference or something minor that wouldn't be reflected in pics, it's an intentional design flaw, and you can seriously tell it's wrong, especially once you know what is off about the figure.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; April 23, 2012 at 02:10pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    So because one person didn't notice right away, [toyfair having a table full of new characters, Stinkor being an old reveal, and I believe his shield was covering the really bad looking right arm] then we should just eat it up?
    Dude I said I'm ok with it. I know they are not going to change the forarms since the figures are produced, packaged and on a boat from China to Mattel already. I can deal with it like an adult because from the reviews and pictures it isn't that noticable unless it was pointed out. If you can't deal with it then thats your issue, buy Stinkor or don't but stop trying to make me come around to your way of thinking.
    Last edited by mjw41; April 23, 2012 at 04:07pm.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Its the first time that Mattel screwed something up and im getting angrier every day. I canīt deny it has something to do with: " pretty cool, huh!"
    Maybe that was the final straw

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    They were designed after Skeletor's so the look is identical, except Stinkor has fur above the gloves....so they should have been left alone....if they wanted to reverse the gloves, then that should have been done in the sculpting phase by the 4H, but it wasn't. They say they leave design and colors up to them, but they do this to one of their designs?
    Look I'm not saying that I agree with what Mattel Design did to the Horsemens Stinkor sculpt when it came time for production, what I'm saying it whats done is done. It's already on it's way from china and can't be changed I have already paid for it with my Subscription so after seeing some pictures although I agree they shouldn't have been swapped thay still seem to work for the figure and if it was never pointed out to me I might not have noticed it at all so all I'm saying is I can deal with it.
    Last edited by mjw41; April 23, 2012 at 04:08pm.

are these "healthy" forearm images photoshopped to look correct to illustrate the point or did you manage to find pictures of Stinkor in the exact same pose...?

On another note, just to clarify for myself, is the forearm piece everyone is referring to INCLUDE the gauntlets? or is it just the small piece between the gauntlet and the elbow...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    I don't know if everyone saw these pictures that I added...
    I think to repost again for the new comers....
    http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7...rontation2.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6...orproblem3.jpg

If this post is useless or redundant please delete it, I don't want to hurt anybody.

Doesn't bother me at all.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Um, seriously, I am trying to see the problem. I guess I am not looking at the right things because I don't see a problem with his arms.

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    Doesn't bother me at all.
    i completely agree ...

i'm more bothered about other people getting so irked by it! ...

why can't we just accept that this is how mattel wanted it? (reference; TG's comments that the arms are how they should be) ...

if it was something like a complete paint application error, or the wrong head, or 2 left feet or whatever crazy-error else then yeah, i could understand ... but it's not going to affect my enjoyment of this awesome awesome figure ... and heck, is it even an ''error'' in the first place?!

but when i get my stinkor i'm going to be getting high off his patchlouli!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

*IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN*

I think the point that most of the "i'm okay with this" people are missing is that we are getting more and more reversed parts!

Stinkor may not look that bad, but he is another in a long list of figures (as listed above) that have had reversed or inferior parts, something Mattel keeps saying they will address and will improve.

In fact they have said that they have reviewed process in place to prevent this, but again we face the same issue, something has to change or this line will peter out due to a lack of sales, this is all bad publicity and it will stop sales of subs.

whether you think stinkors arms are a problem or not, we need to collectively tell mattel that we won't accept these continued problems with quality control

Heroic Warrior
    We can't accept it because Mattel wanted it the way he appears on the back of it's card, as sculpted by the 4HM who should always have (like TG likes to state) the last opinion in sculpting a figure for this line. Notice I said sculpting and not toy engeneering.

And swapped forearms is exactly the same error as two of the same feet. It's anatomy. This is the same error as King Hsss, Roboto, Swift Wind and all those other swapped part figures, except that it now happened on the forearm. Wake up people!! Read Sallah's blog and see how he points out every little reason why this should not be tolerated.

tmc1984: Let's just hope we don't get a Blade with swapped upper legs. That would be pretty cool, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post
    I think the point that most of the "i'm okay with this" people are missing is that we are getting more and more reversed parts!

Stinkor may not look that bad, but he is another in a long list of figures (as listed above) that have had reversed or inferior parts, something Mattel keeps saying they will address and will improve.

In fact they have said that they have reviewed process in place to prevent this, but again we face the same issue, something has to change or this line will peter out due to a lack of sales, this is all bad publicity and it will stop sales of subs.

whether you think stinkors arms are a problem or not, we need to collectively tell mattel that we won't accept these continued problems with quality control
    great post - but mattel have said it's been done on purpose ... and whilst mattel have had many problems previously, we simply can't label every ''difference'' on figures as a catastrophic error ...

Quote Originally Posted by nuno View Post
    tmc1984: Let's just hope we don't get a Blade with swapped upper legs. That would be pretty cool, huh?
    okay, now i'm going to have nightmares!

but seriously, i get your point i just don't see why all the uproar has happened - it just shows that folks really don't trust mattel/TG - which i find pretty sad ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; April 23, 2012 at 03:04pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

*IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN*

It's not just the "tumors," it's that when his arms are extended, the profile of the arm is wonky now. He looks like his bone is broken giving his arms a weird bulge and a weird angle.

Also, to those who are saying they're ok with it, would you be ok if it was a legitimate screwup? Because I'd bet my life savings it's an error and their story is a bs cover. "Pretty neat huh?" was annoying too.

I find it hard to believe that people are accepting Mattel's story that the arms were swapped on purpose. Seriously...if they did this to make the arms "pop" and thought it was so cool, Scott would have been touting the change back at Toyfair. Why wouldn't he say anything when he's always told us about changes like this in the past? Instead, no comment was made until Scott was specifically asked about it.

What response do you think would garner less criticism? Admitting to yet another error or saying Mattel purposely did this? I suppose if Mattel said the sky was green, there would be people who agreed.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Heroic Warrior
    The uproar has happened this way because some of us just don't want to see these kind of issues anymore. I'm not thinking about myself more than I'm thinking about people like you who surely would want a flawless Blade figure. I don't care about Blade as a character I can tell you that, but I'd surely be ****** off if Mattel would screw him the same way they would screw with any of my favourite figures. Because in the end this just means that people will start droping off and in the end many figures will not be released due to the lack of interest.

That's reality and not some made up story to justify Stinkor's swaped forearms like some users like to come up with.

If we're going to accept anything then Mattel can just build any crap of figure, put it in a blister card and write any name and there you have your MOTUC figure. Again, I know this is an extreme example, but any flaw is a flaw and that's just the way it is.
    Last edited by nuno; April 23, 2012 at 03:17pm.

personally, i'm tempted to believe the story that the swap was done intentionally; it is a sign of monumental ego...

let's allow some designer (you've never heard of) to take the work of the most prominent artists (you admire and respect) in the field today and improve upon it. this isn't rounding off the edges for child safety concerns, this is reworking aesthetic design of the sculpt because the original artists didn't do it "right."

i bet these same designers would love to improve upon the the ceiling of the sistine chapel, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post

Don't get me wrong (one of the "I'm ok with this" people) - I'm still not going to renew my sub next year but that is due to DR's absolutely horrifying customer service and not Stinkor's forearms.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    great post - but mattel have said it's been done on purpose ... and whilst mattel have had many problems previously, we simply can't label every ''difference'' on figures as a catastrophic error ...
    True but if Mattel Design chose to alter the 4Horsemen's design to have differently orientated gloves, they obviously mocked it up with the forearms incorrectly. It was sculpted so the brachioradial muscles were directed towards stinkors body (like skeltors forearms from which they are based),which is the correct position (based on human anatomy).

so say they wanted the fins behind the arm and slightly away from the body, so with the right arm the fin should be behind and slightly to the right, with the muscles more directed towards the body. However it looks like they got the left forearm thinking it was the right fore arm and made this change. so now the right forearm has the fin behind and towards the body, but the right fore arm is attached to the left bicep "correcting" this mistake. I can see how this went unnoticed, but no matter what it was somewhere down the line it was assembled incorrectly during this process as its just anatomically incorrect

I'm discussing Stinkor again as if he's a major issue, and he isn't its hardly noticable! my problem is that Mattel (despite statements saying they are improving) are not getting better with these faults, they consistently keep coming and that i can't stand.

on its own this issue is minor, but its added to a long list (starting in 2008) of errors

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    Don't get me wrong (one of the "I'm ok with this" people) - I'm still not going to renew my sub next year but that is due to DR's absolutely horrifying customer service and not Stinkor's forearms.
    Same here! stinkors arms form part of the second biggest issue with the line, and one i could overlook to an extent. The fact DR are incompetent and i still don't have my February order is whats making me not renew next year
    Last edited by Agent Gibbs; April 23, 2012 at 04:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by baron ironblood View Post
    personally, i'm tempted to believe the story that the swap was done intentionally; it is a sign of monumental ego...

let's allow some designer (you've never heard of) to take the work of the most prominent artists (you admire and respect) in the field today and improve upon it. this isn't rounding off the edges for child safety concerns, this is reworking aesthetic design of the sculpt because the original artists didn't do it "right."

i bet these same designers would love to improve upon the the ceiling of the sistine chapel, too...
    but...but we have never had ego in this line b4....

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    I find it hard to believe that people are accepting Mattel's story that the arms were swapped on purpose. Seriously...if they did this to make the arms "pop" and thought it was so cool, Scott would have been touting the change back at Toyfair. Why wouldn't he say anything when he's always told us about changes like this in the past? Instead, no comment was made until Scott was specifically asked about it.

What response do you think would garner less criticism? Admitting to yet another error or saying Mattel purposely did this? I suppose if Mattel said the sky was green, there would be people who agreed.
    TOTALLY agreed. I was just saying the same to a friend of mine earlier today.

If this was indeed a change made to make the figure "pop" (which I don't buy for a second), Scott would have probably gone out of his way to highlight it at Toy Fair... just like he did with the TOD Sorceress feet. No offense meant here, but Scott isn't the type to shy away from pointing out things they do to "improve" a figure. If they did this as an improvement, it would have been mentioned.

But since it is obviously NOT an improvement, there just isn't much to back up his claim of it being done intentionally. I am not going to reiterate all the reasons I stated on my blog... I just have a REALLY hard time seeing this as anything other than an easy means to avoid admitting they missed an error yet again.

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    when i get my stinkor i'm going to be getting high off his patchlouli!
    It would be funny if they sold tiny cloths pins so the other figures could have them over their noses

Totally agree. I can understand that Mattel's design team has to make changes to figures when they don't translate to production or don't comply with Mattel's safety standards, but they should really leave the artistic decisions in the hands of the Four Horsemen and when possible, allow the fans to have their input (Man-E-Face's skin, Griffin's wings).

I'm usually not bothered by things like the reversed shoulders since it's barely noticeable,
    but this, it does look awful....
    it looks weird, doesn't work and there's no way in hell it was on purpose...
    I will be swapping mine when it arrives, and use some paint to make it work...
    Sucks...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Snappy Threader
    At first, I didn't think it to be too big of a deal. But I saw the column James wrote on MOTUCFigures.com and I can now better see the difference. Seeing the original proto and the final copy side by side shows me that the final product looks just darn rediculous compared to what it could have been. I think when they said they wanted to give the look variety was a cover up for "Hey, we screwed up again". Normally I am not negative about the line, but this is something they should indeed fix, he looked awesome...why mess with it?
    Last edited by iron_pride; April 23, 2012 at 05:32pm.