Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stinkor's Forearms Discussion Thread

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    How would swapping the forearms do anything though?

Here is what I am seeing, the glove points are basically turned so they are pointing behind his arms and not to the side. How are those reversed? They are turned on purpose, so swapping the forewards will only make them point out in front of the arm, and then you will have backwards forearms.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Once again, please see post #20.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Once again, please see post #20.
    I read post 20, but that is not telling me how you figure the arms are reversed. What they did was turn the glove mold 90 degrees without actually resculpting them and creating a new mold. Swapping the arms is not going to fix that. You would have to cut the gloves off the forearms entirely and then glue them on turned back to their original position.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    If they did do this intensionally, and I would prefer to think they didn't because Mattel sucks... Then the reasons for doing it are as follows...

Vintage Mer-Man and Stinkor were basically the same exact figure only repainted. Mattel figured since they were going to use the Beast-Man arms and legs, and will have to modify them, why not sculpt a different looking gauntlet to seperate him even more from the Skeletor body. However, as to why they didn't take it even further to modify his boots or at least use the Kobra Khan boot, is beyond me. Plus they probably justified no using higlights on the weapons because they invested that money in the new forarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I read post 20, but that is not telling me how you figure the arms are reversed. What they did was turn the glove mold 90 degrees without actually resculpting them and creating a new mold. Swapping the arms is not going to fix that. You would have to cut the gloves off the forearms entirely and then glue them on turned back to their original position.
    No, swapping would fix the anatomy problem, but it would leave a paint problem in it's wake. The mold is exactly the same as any other finned arm in the line, except fur detailing was added. The swap was done afterward. The original look is shown on the cross-sell art on the back of the card, and the arms are correct.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I would think the arms and legs are new molds... The forearm is new... the beastman leg is probably the same but modified to accomidate an articulated boot.

He's saying that the forearms are reversed, left one is on the right, right is on the left... he's not saying that you need to remove them and turn them around... the fin point will still be pointed to the back.

The re-paint will be tricky... best recomendation would be to repaint all the black parts so they match.

The white stripes will be a series of coats of white paint... that's gonna suck.
    Last edited by mekaneckpain; April 20, 2012 at 11:23am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What do you do for re-assembly of the pins? The only one that I've tried was basically impossible without alteration to the heads of the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain
    the beastman leg is probably the same but modified to accomidate an articulated boot.
    I'm thinking they probably used the lower leg/calf part from Chief Carnivus.

Heroic Warrior
    If the plastic is soft enough from the heat applied to it, The elbow peg should pop in and out with very little force. I can't remember what kind of tool I used, but I would use an awl and a pair of needle nose pliers... maybe have a flat head screwdriver handy.

[QUOTE=VENENOR;3004021]
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain
    the beastman leg is probably the same but modified to accomidate an articulated boot./QUOTE]

I'm thinking they probably used the lower leg/calf part from Chief Carnivus.
    True! ... I don't have him so that never accured to me.
    Last edited by mekaneckpain; April 20, 2012 at 11:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The white paint might not be that bad, it all depends on what kind of paints you use. I do a lot of Warhammer 40k paint which requires painting white over black, and I have found that using the alternative to the Citadel paints (the name escapes me) goes on much smoother and richer meaning less coats

The hard part will be to layer it like the factory job, but its such a small piece I think with some time you could do it

Whats more annoying is having to do it, but I don't think the act itself is going to require some expertise in painting just patience
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The white paint might not be that bad, it all depends on what kind of paints you use. I do a lot of Warhammer 40k paint which requires painting white over black, and I have found that using the alternative to the Citadel paints (the name escapes me) goes on much smoother and richer meaning less coats

The hard part will be to layer it like the factory job, but its such a small piece I think with some time you could do it

Whats more annoying is having to do it, but I don't think the act itself is going to require some expertise in painting just patience
    Maybe I can do it then. I will try. I will buy an extra Stinkor just in case.

If you think of the name of the paints you use please let us know.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Also, if popping out the peg, use the tool (ie. flat head screwdriver) to push on the inner "head" of the peg since the "outer" head is the one that's more visible. Using a tool can scratch the peg so those not wanting a big visible scratch should push it from the inside of the forearm out.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Maybe I can do it then. I will try. I will buy an extra Stinkor just in case.

If you think of the name of the paints you use please let us know.
    I can check when I get home, they are in my paint draw and you can usually find them at any comic shop that sells Warhammer items because they are like $1-3 cheaper than the GW Citadel Paints
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    also, if the plastic peg is soft enough, it won't leave a tool mark --- or at least not one that is too obtrusive. But definitly attack it from the inside like venenor said.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    in one picture the fins of his gloves point outward. in the other, you cant see the fins because they are pointing to his booty.
    Thanks for the explanation. I did see the difference in the gloves, but I assumed that it was more due to the typical detail variations between original sculpts and production versions more than anything else. From the pictures, it still doesn't bother me. It doesn't make it "pop" for me, but it doesn't bother me, either. I guess I will just have to wait until I get it in my hands next month to see for sure. But I am not the type of person who gets bothered by this sort of thing. Those of you who do, more power to you! Good luck with your boycott, or whatever. :-)

Now it's time to go check to see if my April subs have arrived yet!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I can check when I get home, they are in my paint draw and you can usually find them at any comic shop that sells Warhammer items because they are like $1-3 cheaper than the GW Citadel Paints
    I don't know much about paints...that is why I am taking your word for it.

I don't even think we have a comic book shop in my area.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Personal preference aside, the anatomy is wrong.

Muscles don't flow that way, and since the majority of the anatomy is based on human musculature, this will always be wrong and out of place.
    Who's to say the anatomy is wrong... for a human, yes this isn't the way muscles would be expected to be built. But we're talking about a walking, talking skunk, by Jove. Take this design choice out of something as well-known as MOTU and throw it onto some random alien toyline, and nobody would notice or care... "Oh, that's not a human being, so it's ok for their musculature to be different from ours."

We have a walking skeleton (Scareglow), a man with only a skull floating over his shoulders and nothing physical holding it there (Skeletor), an eyeball walking around in a robotic suit of armor (Optikk), a man who was given the cybernetic head of an elephant (Snout Spout)... and because the forearm muscles of a humanoid, but not human, character differ slightly from actual human musculature, we're going to pitch a fit.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Who's to say the anatomy is wrong... for a human, yes this isn't the way muscles would be expected to be built. But we're talking about a walking, talking skunk, by Jove. Take this design choice out of something as well-known as MOTU and throw it onto some random alien toyline, and nobody would notice or care... "Oh, that's not a human being, so it's ok for their musculature to be different from ours."

We have a walking skeleton (Scareglow), a man with only a skull floating over his shoulders and nothing physical holding it there (Skeletor), an eyeball walking around in a robotic suit of armor (Optikk), a man who was given the cybernetic head of an elephant (Snout Spout)... and because the forearm muscles of a humanoid, but not human, character differ slightly from actual human musculature, we're going to pitch a fit.
    Sounds like a way to rationalize a defect in a MOTUC figure to me...

It's wrong because every single other male figure has the belly of the forearms pointing in towards the body, not outwards. And vintage Stinkor is the same.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar

I'm going to say it's wrong.

The entire body is based entirely on human musculature and has a particular anatomy it follows.

If you want to use mental gymnastics to try and rationalize why a reversed limb works for this character, even though it doesn't match the rest of his body, by all means please do.

But it's wrong, and discussing that is not pitching a fit.

Who's to say the anatomy is wrong...
    the picture on the cardback...where his forearms are correct.

I wish a mod would change the title to this thread to something like "Stinkor forearms discussion. Are you for or against?"

The current title leads others (those that aren't actually coming into and reading the thread) to believe everyone is in favor of the "new" forearms.

I honestly don't know what to think of this whole fiasco. On one hand I think it sucks that they messed up again, on the other hand I don't think it looks that bad. My biggest disappointment so far out of all the blunders is the Goddess. Her figure is so brittle it doesn't even stay together. At least we can still play and pose Stinkor without him breaking. I do think that it's unfortunate everytime this happens and it upsets me to see what kind of affect it will have on the future of this line.

Super minor. If it's intentional or not, doesn't matter to me.

Exactly. He's not only a bipedal skunk man, but a one-of-a-kind mutant, at that. There is no correct anatomy.
    If this might cause an issue with the elbow joints, then I find it problematic. If it doesn't, then this literally means nothing to me and I can't believe the venom being spewed in the other thread - 'over-the-top' would be an understatement.