Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're a tiny tiny line in a gigantic Mattel universe

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar

We're a tiny tiny line in a gigantic Mattel universe

After looking at the following scientific comparisons below between our Sun and larger objects/stars in the universe, I thought maybe this would be a great way to compare Masters of the Universe Classics to all the "big" stars of Mattel. As you know, MOTUC is a tiny tiny line. While it's somewhat visible to Mattel, it's not as big as we think it is. In our hearts and eyes, MOTUC is as bright and important as our Sun.

Note: I have absolutely no artistic talent, but I did my best to make this look presentable.

Enjoy!

Our Sun compared to larger objects/stars in the universe:

MOTUC compared to larger toylines in the Mattel universe:

Heroic Warrior
    lol, poor Ghostbusters.

Very funny and accurate model (although I'd switch WWE and Monster High. Monster High might be pretty big, but WWE is such a HUGE cash cow)

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    lol, poor Ghostbusters.
    Yeah, I literally lol at the Ghostbusters.

I'd say this is fairly accurate depiction of the sad state of affairs facing all of He-Manity these days.

But all hope may not be lost - turn the MOTU star into a singularity . . . With any luck, it'll suck up the rest of Mattel's brands.

He-Man wins.

in terms of budget profits etc the scale should be observed and honoured, in terms of Mattel's treatment of the lines and its customers all should be nearly equal. any licensed line should be a bit smaller (only because mattel doesn't have to invest in entertainment to help promote those brands) and IMO extra effort should be put into their smaller lines so that the budget and profit scale starts equalizing
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    "It's a great big universe and we're all really puny, we're just tiny little specks, about the size of Mickey Rooney..."
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    "It's a great big universe and we're all really puny, we're just tiny little specks, about the size of Mickey Rooney..."
    Jiminy Jillickers! That's tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Yeah, I literally lol at the Ghostbusters.

I'd say this is fairly accurate depiction of the sad state of affairs facing all of He-Manity these days.

But all hope may not be lost - turn the MOTU star into a singularity . . . With any luck, it'll suck up the rest of Mattel's brands.

He-Man wins.
    The good thing about smaller stars, they typically live longer than the monster ones. Then again, I guess MOTU went supernova in 1987.

If monster high is this large or close, I am very happy. I dont own any of these but I'm telling you, I see myself going back and picking these up someday. Just glad they exist and hope little girls (or big girls, or boys) like them this much.

Perhaps we should organize a boycott to force Mattel to give us a better scale model of our importance to their company. I, for one, am sick of my favorite toyline being treated like a fragile specialty line that depends on the passionate support of its core fans for longevity and survival.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I'm glad you presented this because it affirms my thinking about why Mattel sucks: they don't know the first thing about story. Aside from the properties listed above that they don't own (WWE, Ghostbusters..) do any of those properties have a history of strong storytelling? MOTU's story hasn't progressed much since Filmation ended, and without a strong story to support the brand, it just isn't going to grow. Barbie and Hot Wheels are different kinds of toys - cars and dolls don't need story. Neither do balls and hulu hoops. But action figures do.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    One pixel, thats hilarious. We should be happy to have that one pixel! It is interesting how small this line is considering how giant it was in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I'm glad you presented this because it affirms my thinking about why Mattel sucks: they don't know the first thing about story. Aside from the properties listed above that they don't own (WWE, Ghostbusters..) do any of those properties have a history of strong storytelling? MOTU's story hasn't progressed much since Filmation ended, and without a strong story to support the brand, it just isn't going to grow. Barbie and Hot Wheels are different kinds of toys - cars and dolls don't need story. Neither do balls and hulu hoops. But action figures do.
    Wow, I have to say I really agree with you. I've often wondered why Mattel hasn't commissioned short novels for children (or for adults) of the MOTU story. I mean, they own the property. Paying writers is actually pretty affordable. I mean, when the line ended way back when, all they had to do was go back to the roots and continue to inspire imaginations in their fans (or consumers, as Mattel would refer to them.) What a terrific response, Jibernish!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Transitive Property:
    if MOTUC = Pixel, then PixelDan = MOTUCDan

Math is FUN!
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    We're a tiny tiny line in a gigantic Mattel universe
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    Loving the reference, may Yakko be with you.

As for MOTUC, this is an accurate picture, especially of how Mattel views things, and that is why nothing changes. The Super Nova missing here is vision, the thing Mattel lost a couple decades ago. Here's why:

Right now MOTUC and all the other collector lines are small potatoes and get little attention from the big wigs, and that's a big mistake. The most attention goes to Barbie and Hot Wheels, which, while their biggest sellers, are also a shrinking market. It feeds short term profits, which seems Mattel's ONLY concern, but it leaves tomorrow up for grabs. Mattycollector was a visionary move, something that had been tried before by others, but likely too soon (the market wasn't really ready). The thing is, the window for kids toys is shrinking, and shows no signs of a reversal. Look at the last few years in the action figure market, and you see not growth, but a slow dwindling. Movie properties that once dominated the pegs over summer now leave pegwarmers galore, even with perennial cash cows like Transformers. TF 3 had to cancel the final waves due to lack of retailer orders. Even Cars, the one Pixar cash cow, ran into problems last year with a new movie out. The traditional routes for selling action figures (and toys in general) are not growing. The places Mattel is putting the most money are also the places where they will see the least long term growth. The collector's market is one place mostly ignored by a lot of toy makers, but it is one area where some significant growth can actually occur. MOTUC is a perfect example of this, a market that was no being tapped that suddenly expanded significantly as more product was made. Now, by itself, MOTUC is small beans, but the idea here is to think forward, what can be, not what is right now. Matty ran into trouble not necessarily because the market isn't there to support it, but because of bad decisions on some of the lines they offered. DCUC went a bit too obscure in character choice, JLU was a bit overpriced, Ghostbuster waned thanks to Smash Blade syndrome (too many Buster variants, not enough else), etc. And the disaster that is DR undermines even their one success, MOTUC, on a daily basis. The idea was sound, but the execution, as is usual with Mattel, was poor.

Bottom line is, the collector lines are small potatoes, but they are one of the few areas where Mattel can actually see growth in the future. As such, they should not be treated as orphaned sons and daughters, but as an investment. A little care and a little extra money now could bring much bigger profits tomorrow. It's a risk with no guarantee, of course, but that's business. But if Mattel just keeps going the way they are, there's little chance of anything but decline. They need to sustain the big money makers, yes, but they need to also nurture the areas which might fill in the money holes those big money makers leave as sales drop...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

what are these based on? i only ask because it seems WWE is bigger than MH.

Heroic Warrior
    Personally I don't care how big the line is, as long as I get my figures. After Classics I'm almost done with MOTU as a hobby, it's not fun to have all this problems and being told all those promises.

I'll stick to LEGO where switched parts aren't a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    what are these based on? i only ask because it seems WWE is bigger than MH.
    I just made it up - no scientific research on Mattel's brands, just what we always hear (Barbie and Hot Wheels rule). I thought this might bring some perpective and laughs on the subject. Sorry to any Ghostbusters fans (I'm one too)

A lot of good points and opinions on here, I must say. scott metzger makes a sound argument about the growth potential of MOTU and adult collector's in general. I also wonder if Mattel does research on the effects on children of collector's. It seems like a lot of orgers here also have intoduced MOTU to their kids, and they seem to be an avenue for new fans. Collectors may be the best hope for future generations.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar

Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I just made it up - no scientific research on Mattel's brands, just what we always hear (Barbie and Hot Wheels rule). I thought this might bring some perpective and laughs on the subject. Sorry to any Ghostbusters fans (I'm one too)

A lot of good points and opinions on here, I must say. scott metzger makes a sound argument about the growth potential of MOTU and adult collector's in general. I also wonder if Mattel does research on the effects on children of collector's. It seems like a lot of orgers here also have intoduced MOTU to their kids, and they seem to be an avenue for new fans. Collectors may be the best hope for future generations.
    I agree with your point about collectors introducing their kids to the line. I personally gave my kids a bunch of the vintage stuff and they love it! I also sell vintage figures and a ton of my buyers are picking them up for their kids as well. Much easier to hand over a $4 vintage figure than a $30 classics one
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    I agree with your point about collectors introducing their kids to the line. I personally gave my kids a bunch of the vintage stuff and they love it! I also sell vintage figures and a ton of my buyers are picking them up for their kids as well. Much easier to hand over a $4 vintage figure than a $30 classics one
    And sadly, the $4, 25 year old figure will probably last longer than the $30 Classics one...

But, seriously, they are cool, colorful toys. That always has an appeal to kids (I've always felt one of Mattel's big mistakes in the 2002 line was muting and darkening the colors to a noticeable extent).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Podcaster
    Scott, your argument above is one of the most well-reasoned, well-written and passionate things I have ever read on the INTERNET, much less on this site alone.

Well done, sir. Well done.

Now I want to see this solar system mock-up done to represent Mattel's priorities in 1985.
    Angella - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - FLUTTERINA! - Flying Fists He-Man - GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MERMISTA! - MultiBot - NINJOR! - Peekablue - Perfuma - RIO BLAST! - Rotar
    Saurod - SPINNERELLA! - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - TUNG LASHOR! - Twistoid

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I prefer a visit from the Nigh-Omnipotus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its time for Electroid Love---ARAMESH in 2014!