Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to scale back the MOTUC line due to continuing quality control issues?

Is it time to scale back the MOTUC line due to continuing quality control issues?

I mean, I hate to even pose this question or idea, as a solution to the continuing QC issues, but I'm honestly beginning to feel like it may be the best solution.

And this is coming from a fan who recently expressed the opposite, with 'this' idea for expanding the line:

MOTUC 30th Line CONTINUED as Annual MOTUC 5-Figure+1 'Obscure Characters' Line...?

So I'm honestly thinking that holding off on expanding the line may be the best way to reign in the amount of QC issues that are continually plaguing this line.

I do want more MOTUC, but not at the expense of the line's overall quality.

So have these recurring QC issues made you change your mind on expanding the line, as well?

Do you think 'stopping the growth' or 'scaling back' the line would even help this issue?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Neutro; April 24, 2012 at 11:13pm.
    – No comment.

I don't think it'd help at all.

All the problems (besides delays possibly) are due to poor decisions or human error, not due to overloading the factory.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post

All the problems (besides delays possibly) are due to poor decisions or human error, not due to overloading the factory.
    I agree. The QC issues have nothing to do with how expansive the line is. So, no, MOTUC should not be scaled back.
    If you have a Queen Marlena cardback to sell, please let me know.

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100
    MOTUC for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212096
    200x for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=213585
    I have a huge lot of Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) cards I'm also selling. PM me.

I don't reckon that would make a difference. Look how small the Ghostbusters line is, and it's had QC problems too.

Ok, but maybe there'd be less 'poor decisions' made if those responsible for making those decisions had less on their plates to worry about?

I dunno. I gotta wonder if the MOTUC line has 'outgrown' the 'team' responsible for these poor decisions.

Human error I get. We're all human. But it does seem like the 'chance' of 'poor decisions' and 'human errors at the factory' would be lessened if the decision makers had less to worry about, and the factories had less quotas to worry about meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I don't reckon that would make a difference. Look how small the Ghostbusters line is, and it's had QC problems too.
    I don't collect that line, so I didn't realize that it too had continuing QC issues.

And isn't that line also ran by this same team behind the MOTUC line? Or at least partially? I don't quite recall.
    Last edited by Neutro; April 24, 2012 at 11:28pm.
    – No comment.

I think they should scale back the line, but not for those reasons. The QC is a factory/materials problem, and even if they were given only 1 item to make it would likely still suffer.

I will say I think the expanse of the 2012 line has caught Mattel unprepared which is why figures were delayed starting in December. They seem to have gotten that on schedule but as always with a higher amount of skus you run the risk of hitting a snag and having the schedule fall apart.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I have other Mattel brands, kids toys, learning toys for my 2 year old son, and out of the box they were crap, a Fisher Price laptop for one where the screen won't even stay up so he can see it, so loose it flops if you breath too hard. Hot Wheels where the vac metal flakes off just by looking at them. And one of my nieces (8 years old) has a Barbie, just got her at Christmas, and the rubbery skin cracked at the knee.

So scaling back MOTUC will not solve the QC issues, Mattel as a company needs to work them out, and that is very unlikely to ever happen.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think they should scale back the line, but not for those reasons. The QC is a factory/materials problem, and even if they were given only 1 item to make it would likely still suffer.
    I respect your opinion, but I find this really hard to believe.

For example:

If ONE person were responsible for the control of quality of 100 skus, I could forgive a few errors that, as TG would say, "slip through the cracks."

BUT, if that same ONE person were instead, only responsible for ONE sku, I'm sorry, but I could not excuse it "slipping through the cracks."

Do I make my point?
    – No comment.

I've come to the conclusion all the QC issues are just random. It really is just a luck of the draw scenario. A few months ago I had so many bad figures in a row I had decided to call it quits with the line, and then wouldn't you know it, my Photog, Sorceress, Fisto, Shadow Weaver, Kobra Khan, Draego Man, and Thunder Punch He-Man have all been absolutely perfect. Joints, paint, you name it. I also don't have a cracked Roboto or Snout Spout, but my Star Sisters, BG Evil Lyn, Wind Raiders and Swift Wind were all screwed up.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    It sounds like they need some new QC inspectors sent to China....

Would not make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Would not make a difference.
    I have to agree, it seems kind of random with these quality control issues. I think the best thing that we can do is support the product and hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I have to agree, it seems kind of random with these quality control issues. I think the best thing that we can do is support the product and hope for the best!
    And I think that could possibly be the worst thing to do.

But in all honestly, that is simply how I 'feel' as I do not not know for 'fact' one way or the other, what would be the best solution.
    – No comment.

My thoughts on this run counter to popular opinion. I would like to see Mattel lengthen the amount of time from when figures are initially sculpted and then produced; and involve a small panel of fans in the process. I think we would get a better product and have far less errors which affect an entire production run (e.g., reversed parts, deteriorating trunks, and cracked torsos).

MOTUC is supposed to be a collectors' line, but that's not what fans are receiving. MOTUC is actually just a mass retail quality, action figure line being sold solely online instead of in-stores. I would love to see Mattel plus up the figures and include multiple interchangeable hands, lots more accessories, and extra heads with every figure. Switching to collector friendly packaging would also be great. The price point would obviously have to rise but I would gladly pay approximately $35-$40 per figure for a true collector line even if it meant slowing down the pace to a figure every other month instead of monthly.
    Last edited by Hosed Ovor; April 25, 2012 at 12:23am.

I would like for things to remain as they are.... 12 monthly figures, 4 variants, 4 oversized items, and con exclusives. The only change I would make would be to add castle facades and vehicles.

The line is terrific as is. I don't think things are as bad as they are made out to be much of the time. Just my opinion, not trying to insult anyone.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Nope! Leave the sub the way it is, They will correct the shipments arrivals by july like Scott said in December.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    I would like for things to remain as they are.... 12 monthly figures, 4 variants, 4 oversized items, and con exclusives. The only change I would make would be to add castle facades and vehicles.
    I would agree. I don't think the solution is to downsize. I would like the releases to stay as they are. Partly because having more figures in a month to get at once helps lessen the pain of higher shipping costs.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Im glad your not in charge

Yep, I'd like to see them scale back ànd change vendors.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

I have to agree here, as well. The mistakes are carelessness on the part of the folks at Mattel who are supposed to watch over the process; the factories are basically doing what they are told with the materials they are told. The delays are likely due to Dark Knight Rises merchandise and Mattel's usual inability to produce product to meet retail orders without major complications.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'd put QC issues down to human error more than anything rather than the expanding number of figures per year.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Time to scale down MOTUC on the account of it butt-hurting our wallets...
    Odds, Bobs, Hammer and Tongs!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Maybe they have to scale it back after more sub losses in 2013?
    I would prefer just 12 to 15 figures a year anyway. Better a view with good quality and punctual shipment as a lot of crap after month of wait.

It's a factory's job to mass produce items. It's what they're made for. This line isn't even that big. It's for a niche customer base. Making 12 figures per year wouldn't change anything. The line is already small compared to what factories normally produce.
    Last edited by SCB; April 26, 2012 at 01:58am.