Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the Official Powers of Grayskull (Part 1) Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior

the Official Powers of Grayskull (Part 1) Discussion Thread

Now that everyone is starting to receive their Thunder Punch He-Man figures, I thought it was time to start a thread to talk about the included 1st of 3 part Powers of Grayskull mini-comic. So, after reading it what did everyone think?

Heroic Classics Warrior Gerrit127's Avatar

New Mini Comics

I am sure we all are looking forward to the new 3 part mini comics !!
    The fact that it will finally close some gaps and bring together so much new bios have me excited all over again!!
    Have you read part one ? What do think ?

Definitely needed a thread for this. I really enjoyed the comic overall (especially with what they were trying to do in only eight pages). The art was good and I was completely fine with the adjustments to the story (from the original 80's version). I like teela's sorceress design (what we could see of it at least). Kind of looks like that concept sorceress art but with the hood up. I also liked the awkwardness between Sorceress Teela and He-Man in the initial scenes. Seeing the characters that don't have figures produced yet really made me want them now. I would love a King Miro, Clamp Champ, Rattlor and Tung Lashor within the year or so. We certainly have most of the parts for them. I can't wait to see the next mini comic!

I gotta go back and read it when I get home so I can comment some more.
    Last edited by phnx75; April 25, 2012 at 04:29pm.

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    It was a great read and I'm looking forward to getting parts 2 and 3.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I like the comic, the art is okay, it really helps flesh the bios out and I hope the next 2 are as good as this is.

A very cool idea for a thread! I know there were some threads before about the concept of the comics and the fact the comics were coming, but I think a dedicated review/discussion thread now that they are out for all to enjoy is a good idea.

Though I had gotten a copy at PowerCon, it was cool to go back and read it again.

Cover-wise, I think the idea of taking the old mini cover and updating it was a cool one. I like the painted look. I'm just not totally sure about the proportion of the characters. He-man's head looks huge and he looks a bit stumpy. Skeletor is the same way. I like the piece overall, but there is a slightly rushed quality to it.

Art-wise, I really like it. The characters look great and I like the overall style. Compared to some of the latter mini-comics in the vintage series, we have it pretty good. One thing that does kind of annoy me is that it's obvious these were drawn at a much larger size. Art usually is, but this looks like it might have been drawn on standard comic paper for a standard-sized comic. This is less problematic if they release a full-size, collected edition one day. If that's the plan, then cool. But as it is I think some of the impact of the linework is a bit lost because it's reduced so much versus if it had been created with this size in mind. The text is a bit tiny too, though I know part of that is probably just fitting in the text. There is a lot of story here.

Story-wise, it's hard to do much in 8 pages but they sure do try! It basically follows the vintage comic in some of the more basic ways so I'll focus on the new parts. The interaction between Teela and He-man has come under some fire by people saying she's too aloof. But I don't think so. I think she's probably just struggling with her new role some. I would love to know if she knows Adam and He-man are one and the same now, though. I though Miro being there was pretty cool, and I must admit I want a figure of him sooner than later. I thought he looked very cool in the MYP series.

Two little things that bugged me:
    Teela's Sorceress outfit. I didn't hate it, but I did wish it was a bit more thought out. The Sorceress details seemed to have been added as an afterthought during coloring. I like to think this is just a intermediate costume between BG Teela and a more fully realized Sorceress form for Teela that we might get as a figure some day.

Bionatops's robot legs! This really bothered me. I just didn't like how he had shiny silver robot legs. It was just an odd choice and not on-model with the vintage toy.

Other than that, I feel like the juiciest/coolest stuff might be yet to come, but it's just great to have a new mini-comic.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    It was decent, but it crammed way too much information into one little comic. Obviously being a mini-comic, that is going to happen, but I felt it was overkill. I have more questions than answers just based on the first two pages. The artwork was all right, but it is hard to tell if it is good or not at that size. My biggest gripe is they are trying to conceal He-Ro, and we know it is He-Ro, no need to make him a shadow.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Simple, but effective. I like Teela's little Sorceress hoodie, though! (okay, robe). It's like she picked it up at the gift shop in Greyskull since she didn't have time to make a full costume, yet. They need to sell an actual hoodie with that design.

Anyway, most awesome thing: Robotic dinosaurs that pop-out random guns when they're under stress. I mean...can't you just imagine a five year old blurting that out in a string of things-that-would-be-so-cool? That is the best idea ever.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I think the top circled one is Robocop.
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

Heroic Warrior
    Here'S a question. Why would He-Man have to go to the past to learn how to defeat the Snake Men qhen at that time, Hordak was the main tyrant in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    Here'S a question. Why would He-Man have to go to the past to learn how to defeat the Snake Men qhen at that time, Hordak was the main tyrant in charge.
    A better question is why did He-Man have to disguise himself when the only possible problem would be Hordak and King Hsss seeing him in the present and saying "OH MY GODS you were there in the past too! You...you're a sneaky one."
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Very nice to have minicomics back...and this one was awesome.

I liked the storyline, characters, and art.

Two things I didn't like:
    1- Characters art was heavily based on the MOTUC toys. I couldn't feel the artist own style, it felt like as if someone was looking at a toy all the time while he was drawing. (At some point I stopped and looked to see if King Hsss has the reversed shoulders on him in the comic as well )

2- Comic paper was hard for a small comic strip, felt like a cardboard. It didn't have the feel of a comic book or the original 80s MOTU comics.

Overall, very happy with the return of the comics.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    I love having the mini comics back. I wish there would be more.

As far as the story, it seemed rushed but in eight pages I guess it has to be.

I can't wait for the next two and hopefully a reprint of the original mini comics.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Who are these characters in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by scar1321 View Post
    I think the top circled one is Robocop.
    And the one with the "????" is Shredder.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I really enjoyed the mini comic as well. I'm glad the story is moving forward and i appreciated the nod that it seems every one knows now that Adam and he-man are one in the same. it would have stretched credibility that that plot aspect would be carried over into such extreme circumstances.

Heroic Warrior
    After reading the mini-comic, I just wonder if the following figures will come next in MOTUC :

- Clamp Champ
    - Rattlor
    - Tung Lashor
    - King Miro
    - Horde Trooper
    - Sssqueeze
    - "Sorceress Teela"
    - Bionatops
    - Tyrantisaurus Rex

I also wonder if there's a possibility that we may get the "giant snake mount" as a MOTUC figure...

Oh, and did you notice ? Snakeface is the ONLY snakeman that didn't appear yet !

I just plain don't like Teela being the new sorceress. I mind Man-at-arms predicament much less than hers. Was that in the original? I assumed it was added to bridge continuity gaps from the bio's. Can the original be read online?

Teela was not the Sorceress during the original mini-comic. You can read it here (although for whatever reason the pages are all scrambled in order):

http://he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1065

I actually love that we got to see Teela take up the mantle. Which is one of the reasons I made a mini-comic about her doing just that. But I hope she gets a really cool costume at some point.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    I must say that Sorceress Teela is not a concept that I'm keen on getting... and her look in the mini-comic is not great either, IMO. So this is clearly a figure I wouldn't get.

Heroic Warrior
    I actually like Teela'S Sorceress look. I guess if we got her in toy form, she would turn ouit similar to Shadow Weaver with the Sorceress motif painted on.

Snappy Threader
    The story was cool. Print way to small, number of pages disappointed me, but I'm real glad we got it. I only wish it could have been expanded more to hold more pages. That being said, I can't wait for 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I just plain don't like Teela being the new sorceress. I mind Man-at-arms predicament much less than hers. Was that in the original? I assumed it was added to bridge continuity gaps from the bio's. Can the original be read online?
    It's just been released. The only way you can read it online is illegally, and we wouldn't want that. It's easier to just buy this great figure and get the comic for free!

Please, everyone, remember that we do not allow discussion of violating copyrights and illegally obtaining copies of this comic. We respect the rights of creators since tons of our members are creators themselves. Therefore, infractions will be given.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I think I must be one of the only ones that really likes Teela's Sorceress outfit
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think I must be one of the only ones that really likes Teela's Sorceress outfit
    Nope...I think people will come around to this costume. Its just not what folks are used to, as we get the next mini-comics and this look stays around, I think more people will come around.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!