Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What will be the future of Masters of the Universe post-classics?

Heroic Warrior

What will be the future of Masters of the Universe post-classics?

It seems pretty obvious at this point that Classics is on its last legs. While I will be disappointed if the line will soon end without getting certain characters I'm happy the line lasted as long as it did and a lot of the characters we did get. But what will happen with Masters of the Universe once this thing ends?

The only thing that will garner new toys at this point is really a live action movie. And the movie has been in a perpetual state of development hell for almost a decade.

I think it could also go back to a similar state that it was between 200x and Classics. Maybe we will see some collectible statues and busts and things of that nature but not anything as dramatic as the stactions. So basically it will be in a state similar to what Thundercats is now in again now that the new Thundercats line is dead along with the new cartoon. So Thundercats will only be getting the token collectible items that come out here or there. Maybe we will see some Kubricks or Minimates of the main MOTU cast at least.

Another relaunch? A new cartoon? The problem is action-adventure cartoons are becoming less and less prevalent these days. They are costly to make and take a lot longer when the economy is bad and companies want to own all their properties and do them in house. It will be tough getting He-Man back on the air since everyone wants to do their own stuff themselves now and Mattel isn't starting their own TV network like Hasbro did. The other thing is that 6" toy lines are also becoming less prevalent as most companies are switching to the GI JOE scale or 3 3/4".

Just not sure where MOTU will go next once classics is all said and done.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Heroic Warrior
    If Mattel gives licences to Sideshow, I'll stay as a customer.

Heroic Warrior
    What will be the future of Masters of the Universe post-classics ?
    As far as I'm personally concerned, there will be nothing MOTU after Masters of the Universe Classics. This is the ultimate MOTU collection to me, and I won't buy MOTU items after MOTUC's demise.

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    If the will kept to release black plastic molded figure I will quit soon!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    MOTU will probably return at some point with some new gimmick or angle. Possibly even a new television show. It could be even more barbaric MOTU characters, futuristic MOTU characters in battle armor, teenage MOTU characters, etc. Or perhaps the scale would be different next time, like a 4" scale endeavor.

Unless the new designs are really exceptional pieces of work, I'll have the Classics figures to enjoy. The sheer number of characters from all over the mythos and the 4H sculpts at the 6" scale can't be beat.

I hope Mattel continues keeping MOTU out there if there's no toyline, to keep the brand visible like Hasbro does with Transformers and G.I. Joe. There are no RAH or G1 toylines on the shelves, yet Hasbro continues to license comics and novels with them.

Mattycollector might as well shut down after the final Classics figure sells out.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Probelm is, I don't think Mattel knows, either. They seem content waiting for someone else to move forward with a movie rather than taking the lead themselves. Not sure how the Hub is doing, but Hasbro had a plan to promote their products (and always seems to have a new way of keeping their properties in the spotlight). Mattel is far more passive on almost every count, and seems to only move when someone kicks them in the corporate hind end (I know I've been critical of TG, but I do credit him with the kick that got Classics going).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I hope Mattel continues keeping MOTU out there if there's no toyline, to keep the brand visible like Hasbro does with Transformers and G.I. Joe. There are no RAH or G1 toylines on the shelves, yet Hasbro continues to license comics and novels with them.
    This is exactly what I hope for. And since I'm a MOTU fan before anything else, I will gladly buy anything MOTU released as long as I really like it. I'm cool with statues, busts, comics, etc etc. I just want to see the brand still out there even if there is no major toyline at the moment.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    If the will kept to release black plastic molded figure I will quit soon!
    I agree Black plastic is really silly but Mekaneck, Snakemen 2 pack, Frosta & Rattlor are all in coloured plastic.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    What will be the future of Masters of the Universe post-classics?
    Pretty dark and dim...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

It seems pretty obvious at this point that Classics is on its last legs.
    I REFUSE to believe that!
    We still have an year and an half of figures we'll get for sure, and things can well change during such a long period.
    One of the reasons for sluggish 2013 subscription sales could very well be the fact that 2012 was overcrowded with releases; now that the line is probably going to be scaled down to the original 12 figure per year, I'm sure it has the numbers to last for many more years.
    I don't even wanna hear about the future of MOTU after MOTUC ends, as it would mean to assume the line is dying, while there's still an year and half worth of figures coming!!

Comics.

Fan-fiction.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Whatever the future is, I don't see much retro stuff fueling it. Our only realistic shot at getting updated versions of our childhood toys is supporting this line. I hope Mattel finally improves customer service and quality control so we can all get what we want before it's too late. Things can always get better, I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic.

We’ll see. I think the movie is really starting to heat up, with numerous interviews and little things like the press-release, which dates from the 31st July, announcing Devon Franklin’s promotion to Senior Vice President of Production for Columbia Pictures mentioning Masters of the Universe as an upcoming project, to the producer of the film stating that, all being well, shooting should begin next year. Before anyone says it, we never had these kinds of stories when the rights for MOTU were at Fox and Warner Bros. All we had was the initial story saying that those studios had acquired the rights, then nothing else. There is movement this time, and it seems to be for the better.

So, in answer to your question, the future lies in the movie which will probably be a reality within the next three years (if they begin shooting next year). Also, the Classics isn't dead yet. I wouldn't even say it’s on its deathbed yet. It is ill, though.

If the movie doesn’t happen and the Classics line does die, I wouldn’t be happy with a few statues, pencil sharpeners and MOTU bed sheets here and there. Maybe I am being slightly biased by saying this, but MOTU is bigger than that and it deserves better (it really does). Unfortunately, I can see Mattel allowing it to befall that fate.....again.

But yeah, you have to be an optimist when MOTU is concerned, with the way Mattel treat the brand. Hopefully my last paragraph won't become a reality.
    Last edited by Krueger; September 10, 2012 at 05:11pm.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    MOTU will probably return at some point with some new gimmick or angle. Possibly even a new television show. It could be even more barbaric MOTU characters, futuristic MOTU characters in battle armor, teenage MOTU characters, etc. Or perhaps the scale would be different next time, like a 4" scale endeavor.

Unless the new designs are really exceptional pieces of work, I'll have the Classics figures to enjoy. The sheer number of characters from all over the mythos and the 4H sculpts at the 6" scale can't be beat.

Mattycollector might as well shut down after the final Classics figure sells out.
    Yes, but honestly, all of the comics and licenses have sucked. I finished the Classic GI Joe series the other day and started reading their "continuation" series IDW is doing with Hama, and it is utter garbage. It feels more like they decided ot turn Renegades into a comic and just give the characters the classic look over actually being a continuation. I hate the fact that I bought the first three volumes without reading the series at all. Transformers hasn't had anything good happen to it since Animated was prematurely canceled. In fact, G1 Transformers is terrible when you take off the nostalgia goggles.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

When MOTUC dies...whenever that may be....we wont be seeing much if anything for a least a few years. I really don't think we will ever see another all encompassing motu line again, which is sad, but at the same time I'm not really sure I would want to spend thousands of dollars on getting all these characters again anyway. Hopefully the movie does happen, but in this day and age I'm sure they will find some way to ruin the movie, I hope it comes out and is amazing, which would bring a ton of new and old fans back into the mix and possibly extend motuc or bring about a new line. I do think it is a little early to be wondering about this, we do have at least another year ahead of us which will hoepfully be full of incredible figures that will make the 2014 subs sell well.
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I kind of want to laugh at all those guys who are here and saying that they will be gone once the classics line goes. You guys will bounce back as soon as something new is coming.

I think eventually we will see a return to retail with a new cartoon series. Possibly in the "Movie Year" that everybody keeps talking about. The sad thing to me is that we will never see the retro designs again. They are going to redesign them all like how DC Comics did. I also think the figures will be smaller
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    This is exactly what I hope for. And since I'm a MOTU fan before anything else, I will gladly buy anything MOTU released as long as I really like it. I'm cool with statues, busts, comics, etc etc. I just want to see the brand still out there even if there is no major toyline at the moment.
    We Dan at least you are getting Mosquitor before Classics ends

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I kind of want to laugh at all those guys who are here and saying that they will be gone once the classics line goes. You guys will bounce back as soon as something new is coming.
    Laugh if you want, but I'm in that boat - I can't see myself sticking around after the Classics line wraps up and they decide to go in a different direction with the property. I learned my lesson about 'supporting the line' no matter what when I supported the G.I. Joe line through the first movie's awful figures, only to be rewarded with... a second movie, with more awful figures. I also have no interest in a MOTU movie that'll turn a profit at the box office, because it'll invariably strip all the elements I enjoy about MOTU from the property to increase its mainstream appeal. Heck, I sat out the past 20 years of MOTU toys prior to Classics and the Stactions because I didn't care for the look of the figures that were out there in the interim. I'll give a new non-movie MOTU comic a chance, if for no other reason than I was (and still am) a comic collector before I was a MOTU collector, and it's easier to take a flyer on a $3.99 comic, but that's about it.

Heroic Warrior
    Krueger what you are talking about is not a press release. There's been no press release about a new movie from July. That was just an article on Deadline which is an entertainment industry news blog. And it really doesn't mean anything until there is a greenlight and a budget and the movie goes in front of the camers. When the movie was at WB they said it was going to be John Stevenson that didn't pan out either.

At this point I think a new movie is the only way we see new toys again.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I can't say until that time comes. I'm pretty happy with Classics though, and have no interest in other non-figure items. If a new line happens, be it a movie line or new show or whatever, it would depend on how well they fit in with Classics. I have no desire to start over again that's for sure. I would probably cherry pick heavily on a new line as well, because unless the designs just wow me, I don't need movie variants of figures.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Lots of interesting thoughts and theories.

Obviously, something will happen. MATTEL is not going to just let this long lasting property die. But I really don't know what direction they will go in. Movie... new cartoon... new comic... it's hard to tell. Since being a teenager is the new, hip thing, I could imagine a new vision where most of them are angsty, brooding teens. But I could also imagine a more 'savage' version of them, too. Who knows??

It may disappear for a while, but there's still money to be made. What about cheaper, plastic stactions? Possibly a smaller 4" line? I'm sure there will be something, but it might be a while.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

I think there will always be some motuc figures, probably a comic-con exclusive. I am glad it will still be around just wish we would continue getting vehicles.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

It seems pretty obvious at this point that Classics is on its last legs.
    Why is so obvious to tou?
    I really hope that the MOTUC line will last for other 2-3 years to complete at least the vintage figures and the core POP/NA/FILMATION.
    I also hope that at the Mattel have learned something from this mess up year, so the line can be continued in some capacity. If it's not the case, will be maybe the end for MOTUC but not for the MOTU.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Krueger what you are talking about is not a press release. There's been no press release about a new movie from July. That was just an article on Deadline which is an entertainment industry news blog. And it really doesn't mean anything until there is a greenlight and a budget and the movie goes in front of the camers. When the movie was at WB they said it was going to be John Stevenson that didn't pan out either.

At this point I think a new movie is the only way we see new toys again.
    Fact of the matter is, MOTU was mentioned. This is the quote in question:

Franklin will continue to work on Columbia Pictures franchise titles such as The Karate Kid, Masters of the Universe and After Earth.
    They must have got that information from somewhere. As I’m sure you’re aware, Deadline Hollywood isn’t just your run-of-the-mill movie news website.

I mean, yes, you’re right, until a studio gives any film the green-light, anything can happen. So yeah, it is far from a done deal as of now. Fact of the matter, though, is that it’s clearly not “dead”, so that’s something.

And yes, you’re last point is correct. I really do believe that the future of the entire MOTU brand lies on the big-screen. I also think it will happen. As I said before, with the way Mattel treat MOTU, you have to be optimistic when MOTU is concerned. Being the opposite is just soooooo easy, thanks to Mattel.
    Last edited by Krueger; September 10, 2012 at 07:21pm.

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

Yes, but honestly, all of the comics and licenses have sucked. I finished the Classic GI Joe series the other day and started reading their "continuation" series IDW is doing with Hama, and it is utter garbage. It feels more like they decided ot turn Renegades into a comic and just give the characters the classic look over actually being a continuation. I hate the fact that I bought the first three volumes without reading the series at all. Transformers hasn't had anything good happen to it since Animated was prematurely canceled. In fact, G1 Transformers is terrible when you take off the nostalgia goggles.
    Ya cause Animated was so much better than Tformers Prime and G1 was better than Animated with that stupid little Sari
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app