Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Slush Head's Dome Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Did you try and ask in the NA section of the forum?
    I think I did, at any rate, I combed the NA forums and didnt come across anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He Man 12 View Post
    Yeah, that sounds great. Would love some pics. I am not sure what to do yet. I gotta admit I'm a bit afraid of hurting the figure paint. These figs are expensive...And don't want to have to buy a replacement. Although I am not a big NA fan...I want my MOTUC complete!
    What's funny here is that I am broke as.... well very broke. But I can still (Barely) Afford this, and I have no doubt that if I have to purchase a replacement (in what a couple years at worst case scenario) that it'll be easy enough.

As it is I've missed figures here and there, and always been able to pick it up later. Still can get any figure released.

So I dont understand about this fear of "ruining" a figure, in as much as if it happens, and if it even happens as quickly as a number of years, it'll bee fine to replace, and you'll have learned not to do it again. I'll make him cool for a few years and get another one if I have too. Even when I pay 30 dollars for a figure, I blow 30 dollars at a bar now and again (most in the past )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    I'll be using a pipette to fill some mineral oil in there.
    It bears the least risk of doing any damage.
    It'll take him a few more weeks to arrive though...
    after all my reading, I'm doing it. Mineral oil is very cheap, at walmart (among other places) and Slushhead needs his Slush I havent had a problem with the faucet in putting water in his dome, but I guess I will need to be...careful when putting in the oil in his dome.

Thing is going to be getting just the right amount in there. I want to just fill it up but then, there has to be a little room above the eyes to slosh (slush?) around.

Here he is...you can tell how much dye is in the water by looking at his eyes and teeth.

SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I put water in my Slush Head for a few hours (just to see how it looked) and then I took it back out for fear of future issues that may arise.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I'd really like to...but considering the track record for things that could possibly go wrong; paint coming off the face, spontaneous leaking, mold growing inside...I will not.

I want to fill the dome, it'll make him look way cooler!!

I'm going to see about using mineral oil but in the meantime, I've submerged my toothless skelly in extra virgen olive oil to experiment if it'll cause any damagem, I like the color of it and its consistency..

Day 3 today and still looks good, keeping him submerged all of June to see if its good to use on Slushy
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    This is fun . Just fill him dome with water.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    I want to fill the dome, it'll make him look way cooler!!

I'm going to see about using mineral oil but in the meantime, I've submerged my toothless skelly in extra virgen olive oil to experiment if it'll cause any damagem, I like the color of it and its consistency..

Day 3 today and still looks good, keeping him submerged all of June to see if its good to use on Slushy
    I highly strongly suggest not doing olive oil. It is organic, it will rot or spoil.

Mineral Oil is ..well whatever "not going to rot" is called.

So for the record I did Mineral Oil. I looks great, I poured it in (because I poked a small hole in the foil to make a small pour area) and I have no doubts it's fine.

Even if the paint peels, and I cant quite get the helmet off and repaint it, ect whatever, it's so good, as I said above, it's worth it to have him right for some years even if it means getting another eventually.

But again, my roomate's origianl Slush head didnt have any issues still to this day. I dont see why Mattel's track record is as bad as all this. Sure, I hear alot (of the same) people complain about quality issues, but with a very small and easily fixible (for the most part) exception, I've had no real problems with my figures.

Heck, my beastman got some "Shading" from being in direct light too long before I realized it. So he has a bit of a lighter "fur" and darker "fur" where the shadows were in the sunlight. It's actually kinda cool. But was that some "flaw" in the paint ect? Nope. Things happen. These are made to be enjoyed, and loss is a part of experiencing things.

But I will keep posted with anything that happens, if anything.

And I'll come back with pics, if I can get them to post.

Well, yet again I cannot post pics directly. So...I'll upload them to a hosting site and link back here.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3.../100_02951.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/100_0296.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/100_0297.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/100_0301.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/100_0304.jpg
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/100_0305.jpg

all pics not totally clear (I tried) but the first 2 and the 4th which should be the back.

So gooey, so clean, so clear. So right. His magnified head really filles out that dome. Maybe I can get some daylight pics later.

Oh, postscript: Just realized looking at that beautiful first pic again that he looks an aweful lot like the Kraken, from the Harry Hamlin CLash of the Titans. You know, the good one?

I'm certain that has been observed before, possibly by myself (heh) but at any rate, anyone else notice that. He is totally the Kraken.
    Last edited by baronterror; June 2, 2012 at 04:06am.

I managed to buy just the head and armor from the marketplace to;

1) Fill with water
    2) Do Alexx' "break mod" to give him the ability to turn his head

Slush Head isn't Slush Head without the slush.

Thanks for the heads up baronterror, much appreciated.... I'll be using mineral oil then and nix the experiment with evoo & save poor skelly

Would like to see those pics as well and I'll take a pic of mine too (really want a bit of color added - maybe a drop of food coloring/additive)
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Well, yet again I cannot post pics directly.
    Here you go;

you just need to change the [U R L][/U R L] to [I M G][/I M G] (without the spaces )
    Last edited by TheFallen; June 2, 2012 at 04:50am.

I like most am waiting, I was not sure rather to use plain water, bottled water or distilled water. I was worried it would start yellowing the dome over time. Besides he is already in my display case locked away, mixed in with everyone else, it is hard for me to focus on just Slush Head and his waterless dome when he is next to so many other colorful characters.

4-Wheeled Heroic Warrior Wheelor's Avatar

Has anybody filled slush head's head long term?

I'm tempted to fill it for display and I was wondering if anyone left it filled long term and if there were any effects from it on the paint.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

I've had mine filled since day one, but i've had to refill it multiple times due to evaporation under my lights in my detolf cases. No problems other than that.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    I filled it the day I got it with the full intention of draining it. I was unable to drain it out afterwards.

I've had mine filled up since Day 1 as well. No issues have developed with the paint so far, though the water seems to slowly evaporate over time.

I filled mine with mineral oil (very very cheap) based on this being most likely what was in the original one.

He's doing fine, been in there since I got him, and let me tell you, the look if filled to just above his eyes (not all the way full) is just PERFECT

Anyone try clear resin epoxy?

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    I definitely won't put water or anything else inside as mine already has cracks in it, from just standing on the shelf
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Colored water in Slush-Head's dome?

Hi all,
    I'm considering filling up Slush-Head's dome up with water lightly colored with green or blue water (with food coloring).
    Do you think this will stain him in any way?
    Don't wanna ruin the guy, but I think this will be a cool effect.
    Anyone else try this? Photos?
    Thanks!
    Whoops- got moved! Sorry, excellent info, thanks, y'all!
    Last edited by MLHumble; February 15, 2013 at 12:00pm.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

Sorry to report we have a dome down. Oh, he was so young & full of life, and now his insides are all over the shelf.

I cannot find where it came from. The whole figure was covered. FYI- mineral oil is not fun to clean up. Looks like he lost about half. I have the armor dry and am just waiting to see if I can fix it once I find the leak. Ol' Slushy is my favorite mutant, so we can't have this. I'm gonna silicone, glue or whatever.

Glad they removed the domes articulation to prevent leaks. Zing. I just can't let it completely slide, can I?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I've had water in mine since I got him. No probs here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

i didn't want the daft water feature i wanted to be able to mix and match parts
    he should come with a sealed water feature head, a dome and a normal head (i'm aware this would've cost more)
    Last edited by Coptur; February 22, 2013 at 06:19am.

I used water tinted with a bit of brown watercolor paint. Looks great. Stinky swamp water. About a month in, and he still looks great. I'm actually hoping the water gets a bit funky and mucky cause, c'mon its supposed to be swamp water.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

I'd forgotten: I had water in there and emptied it, plsnning to get some mineral oil! Looks like its time to make good on my word.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    Sorry to report we have a dome down. Oh, he was so young & full of life, and now his insides are all over the shelf.

I cannot find where it came from. The whole figure was covered. FYI- mineral oil is not fun to clean up. Looks like he lost about half. I have the armor dry and am just waiting to see if I can fix it once I find the leak. Ol' Slushy is my favorite mutant, so we can't have this. I'm gonna silicone, glue or whatever.

Glad they removed the domes articulation to prevent leaks. Zing. I just can't let it completely slide, can I?
    Is it possible the mineral oil ate away at the glue seal??
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app