Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slush Head's Dome Discussion

I might give it a shot to see how it looks and if I like it --- but more than likely no.
    Odds, Bobs, Hammer and Tongs!

No I wont be filling mine.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

With the excellent and guaranteed solid QC we're getting in these figures, I'd rather leave Slushy alone...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

If you want a gel you could use that thickener powder stuff that hospitals give to patients that are not allowed full liquids. Its a tasteless powder that will thicken water into a light gel. That would eliminate the alcohol issue with the hand sanitizer

As for me, I will probably just leave it empty. Knowing my luck the dome will leak and destroy my display LOL

not keeping mine. still trying to find a home for him
    But we mustn't dwell. No, not today. We Can't! Not on Rex Manning Day!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Like a lot of folks here, I have no faith in the cheap materials Mattel uses these days. THere's not a single figure with translucent/transparent plastic that hasn't had widespread problems, so I have zero faith that the helmet will actually hold water long term, or that any substitute might damage the paint on the head.

The sanitizing gel does sound like a really cool alternative to the water, and I might try it if the figure wasn't made by Mattel. I really wish they had simply bubbled up the interior surface of the helmet like they did with Chemo from DCUC (anyone with Chemo notice any cracking problems in the translucent plastic? Mine seems fine so far).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

As of this moment I have no plans to keep Slush Head but that could change come Pixel Dan's review and when I have the figure in hand. If I do decided to keep him I think I might add the water at least to see how he looks. I everyone who does something other than water will post a pic so we all can see what each "liquid" looks like.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    The original was filled with your average, run of the mill mineral-oil.

Seems like a sound choice, and it contains no additives which might speed up degradation of paint.

But, that is assuming the dome won't be faulty, of course.

I'm probably not going to buy him, even though I really like the character; but if I did - I definitely would not fill it. Mattel's QC can not be trusted.

I think I'll stick to keeping it empty. Too many risks for me.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Keepin mine empty, I kinda hopes for some injected resin, but I can see how you can't perfectly duplicate it. Maybe a customizer will come up with a way.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I will probably fill mine with water at least once just to see what it looks like.

If i decide to keep him ( I also await PD's review to see him up close and on hand) if i do, I'll try water once just to see how it looks and then keep his dome liquid free and (hopefully) damage free.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Because of the calcium which I know for certain that will ruin the dome... Empty for me
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Heroic Warrior
    Filling up Slushead's dome with water !? Hell no ! I'd be way too scared that the paint would begin to flake off, given the poor QC. If Slushead is anatomically correct, with no loose limbs or other flaws, I'll be very happy. I won't risk ruining this figure because of some water.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Probably going to put SmartWater in the dome... Slushhead could definitely use it.
    Best Idea Ever. But I'm not filling mine with anything. I'm worried something will happen to him.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    The original was filled with your average, run of the mill mineral-oil.

Seems like a sound choice, and it contains no additives which might speed up degradation of paint.

But, that is assuming the dome won't be faulty, of course.

I'm probably not going to buy him, even though I really like the character; but if I did - I definitely would not fill it. Mattel's QC can not be trusted.
    not that I dont trust you but can you verify that?

LIke most people are saying, and I'll wager that everyone who opens him, we'll all put water in it at least once for a moment, just to see.

I never had (and still have never seen) a slush head in real life, so i dont know what he looked like with the water in it, as static photos dont really recreate that. But i've had other water toys like that and it always had a cool magnified look to it.

so to get a toy accurate version, for his face and head to really look right, you'd need a liquid if only for the distortion magnification properties. That I'd definately like to see.

Of coruse the cartoon one's head just looked like his head, because they didnt try to do any water distortion on his face. I dont blame them. So as is, he actually is a pretty good cartoon version.

All that being said, of course I want to keep it filled. I am very glad we have the option, and I for one want to use it.

I have not had any cracking issues with any of my figures, so I am not worried about that. I am worried about discolouration, degredation.

Any tests we run ultimately dont account for much, because frankly the kind of term I'm thinking about is what would it look like 10 years from now, and I cant know that without just doing it. But research is important.

For instance I dont think water would really hurt anything, I'd wager a distilled water would be the best. It would evaporate eventually.

Of course I would think that awesome idea of the hand sanitizer is great but that it would evaporate faster, as the alchohol. Plus I would think that would degrade the plastic head even moreso than the paint.

If mineral oil is what was used on the original, anyone still have one and know if he looks ok inside? I could do that.

Ultimately I basically would want a back up head and dome and we dont even know exactly how this is going to work. I almost believe the head is going to be a part of the armour with a screw thread built into the rim that holds the dome, with the dome having a thread at the bottom as well. I dont think he'll have a neck.

Thinking Man-E-Faces here.

I have my childhood Mutagen Man from TMNT and I always filled him with green dish soap. It looked so cool. Viscous, green, and full of airbubbles. Discovered I had left some in it recently going through figures. It left a residue (which washed out) and I must say it was slightly discoloured. Not a biggie but...

I'd love to water down some green dish soap a bit and put that in there. May try it just to see it.

But ultimately yes, I'm playing around with him when I get him, but on display, he'll probably be empty unless i can score an extra head, if his head even detaches, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkslipx84 View Post
    not keeping mine. still trying to find a home for him
    Did you try to offer him to Mike Bock? He may take it just to give him a good home.
    Last edited by baronterror; April 27, 2012 at 01:36pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd love to put something in there. But if I do the odds of my slushead figure leaking or paint flaking etc is just too high. Mattel products remain questionable!
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Definitely not. Not with Mattel's QC issues.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I'll fill it for pics, then keep it dry rest of the time. Options are nice.

I really wonder if some kind of clear oil might work alot better if used in place of water in the dome... as the oil would coat the head as you put it into the dome... so water touching the paint layer would be minimal... but I am guessing here.

Thoughts on this idea anyone/everyone?

You don't know how it would react over time with Mattel's plastic and paint.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Thoughts on this idea anyone/everyone?
    I got a bad feeling about this...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Oh hell no....that would be an action feature and those are prohibited in this line.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I might insert a small piece of translucent plastic to represent liquid, similar to "Super Fright Features Janine Melnitz" from The Real Ghostbusters toyline.

Do you plan on filling your Slushhead's dome?
    The title of this thread has Rule 34 written all over it.

I want a SLUSHHEAD lava lamp.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com