Thread: my life through a message board...

my life through a message board...

Every now and then, for one reason or another, I've felt the need to leave a message board. either it had stopped being fun.....or I had just lost interest in it. lots of message boards have just become less fun (don't worry, won't name names..but you've probably been on a few of them!)....but a few i've lost interest on....like the robot building site I no longer have a need for, as my robots are done, and the home theater site which just became less active when they condensed.

I was thinking of finally leaving here as well.....until I started going back and deleting older threads I Started just to clean the slate. I went back 8 years. My god.....it's like having a journal of your life all on a message board.

I kind of wish latest threads would go all the way back so I could see the first thing I posted way back in October 2000.....that seems so far back now, it's like an alternate timeline. dog was still alive, I was 3 years fresh out of high school....and had just survived a bad investment in a one year college that went so bad the class was thinking of a lawsuit for false advertisment. after that, we went through two weddings, one nephew birth.....about 5 family deaths (old age). one parent divorce that nearly ended me in depression.....the start of the miracle that is the mp3 player.....the start of iphones. cablevision being the savior from dialup/dsl with the start of high speed internet. hell, I even started on here long before I got my first flat screen TV.
    even the gameboy color and SNES was still well in operation back then..although the N64 had started to take over.

so, I've decided to limit my visits a little rather than outright quitting. it's still fun enough on occasion.

but just curious...have you ever gone back and looked at older posts? and have you ever been on a message board as long as 15 years?

Not 15 but almost that long I've been here since 2002(13? wowsers uncle gadgt!) and I have been known to search for an old post(though that's rare)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm glad to hear you're not leaving, Shredder as I think you add to the board on multiple levels. A word on "limiting visits" from someone that tried to do that, however. A few months back I decided I was spending too much time on the board and elected to only appear a few days before and after a holiday. So I did that on Memorial Day and Fourth of July. Before long I started making up holidays as an excuse to come to the board -- my children's birthday, Kim's birthday, my Yorkshire terrier's birthday. Before I know it I was back to being here all the time.

Imo, it's kind of like quitting drinking or smoking or drugs. There's no tapering off, no smoking three cigarettes a day. You either quit completely or not at all.

For me, I'm glad I'm back all the time, although I'm not sure everyone's happy about that. I find he-man.org to be a mostly civil oasis in a world pretty much gone mad. Sure, people strongly hold opinions and sometimes it gets pretty passionate and heated. But what family isn't like that? And that's the thing. I know it's an overused concept, but I do like to think we're kind of a family, with sisters and brothers and crazy uncles. That's the charm of this board. And it is charming and I feel privileged to be a part of it, and I'm glad you're not leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Every now and then, for one reason or another, I've felt the need to leave a message board. either it had stopped being fun.....or I had just lost interest in it. lots of message boards have just become less fun (don't worry, won't name names..but you've probably been on a few of them!)....but a few i've lost interest on....like the robot building site I no longer have a need for, as my robots are done, and the home theater site which just became less active when they condensed.

I was thinking of finally leaving here as well.....until I started going back and deleting older threads I Started just to clean the slate. I went back 8 years. My god.....it's like having a journal of your life all on a message board.

I kind of wish latest threads would go all the way back so I could see the first thing I posted way back in October 2000.....that seems so far back now, it's like an alternate timeline. dog was still alive, I was 3 years fresh out of high school....and had just survived a bad investment in a one year college that went so bad the class was thinking of a lawsuit for false advertisment. after that, we went through two weddings, one nephew birth.....about 5 family deaths (old age). one parent divorce that nearly ended me in depression.....the start of the miracle that is the mp3 player.....the start of iphones. cablevision being the savior from dialup/dsl with the start of high speed internet. hell, I even started on here long before I got my first flat screen TV.
    even the gameboy color and SNES was still well in operation back then..although the N64 had started to take over.

so, I've decided to limit my visits a little rather than outright quitting. it's still fun enough on occasion.

but just curious...have you ever gone back and looked at older posts? and have you ever been on a message board as long as 15 years?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 26, 2015 at 08:10pm.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Shredder, I don't participate in most of your discussions, but I always appreciate them! Heck, half the .org was rooting for you with that office gal situation. You definitely bring a unique perspective and that's a good thing. As Arnold said in Predator, "Stick around!"

As for the .org, it's the first forum I ever really participated in. I had no desire to, especially when you see most forums (Ex. IMDB which always seems to end in a race or religion argument). Been visiting this site for information since the late 90's, but rarely the forums until MOTUC started up. You had to use a paid email account, and I recall the few times I'd check the forums, folks would get heated on 200x issues. But, as I became more and more interested in MOTUC news, I got stuck on here. And conversed with some awesome people. It's like a digital home. Or maybe more like that hangout you see in sitcoms (Ex. restaurant in Seinfeld).

As for Mr. Olesker, he's such a good guy. It makes it hard to hate New Adventures anymore. Glad you're back!

I'm glad you decided to stick around after visiting your old threads, Shred-Head. It's as though the Mod who sent you to "delete" them knew what he was doing...

Master of New Adventures!
    Awwwwwww... That's awfully sweet. You make me smile. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Shredder, I don't participate in most of your discussions, but I always appreciate them! Heck, half the .org was rooting for you with that office gal situation. You definitely bring a unique perspective and that's a good thing. As Arnold said in Predator, "Stick around!"

As for the .org, it's the first forum I ever really participated in. I had no desire to, especially when you see most forums (Ex. IMDB which always seems to end in a race or religion argument). Been visiting this site for information since the late 90's, but rarely the forums until MOTUC started up. You had to use a paid email account, and I recall the few times I'd check the forums, folks would get heated on 200x issues. But, as I became more and more interested in MOTUC news, I got stuck on here. And conversed with some awesome people. It's like a digital home. Or maybe more like that hangout you see in sitcoms (Ex. restaurant in Seinfeld).

As for Mr. Olesker, he's such a good guy. It makes it hard to hate New Adventures anymore. Glad you're back!

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    I am, relatively speaking, new to these boards, but every thread that I've posted in alongside you (admittedly not many) has been enlightening, entertaining, and educational.

I'm just getting to know you, so you are not allowed to leave these boards completely... that's an order!

Plus, you have taken the name of one of the greatest Villains in all of pop-culture - and in an environment so full of "heroic warriors", the .org needs you!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Glad you decided to stay. Sometimes I also feel like leaving some online communities I participate in. I've just came back a few days ago from being away from the .org for a couple of years or so... well, not really away, since I kept reading the boards often (I love this place, I'd never leave for good), but I stopped participating and hadn't logged in again all this time. I left for personal reasons that had nothing to do with the .org nor it's members, I just didn't feel like participating.

I do check old posts every once in a while (not necessarily made by me), some for nostalgia, some for curiosity, some looking for information, links, pics, or media I can't find anywhere else. I used to do that more often in another message board, from a classical music website (music-scores.com) but sadly that forum was closed a few years ago because during its last few years activity declined greatly; I was a moderator there and made many great friends all over the world which remain good friends to this day, so it was very sad when it closed its doors. I joined music-scores' forum the same year you joined the .org, so that would have been the one forum I stayed for as long as 15 years, lol, but since it was closed, I think He-Man.org is the place I've stayed around the longer (I started reading the forums daily since 2002, but I couldn't join because the .org didn't accept my Hotmail account and I didn't have a valid e-mail account until the year I joined).
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're not leaving, Shredder as I think you add to the board on multiple levels. A word on "limiting visits" from someone that tried to do that, however. A few months back I decided I was spending too much time on the board and elected to only appear a few days before and after a holiday. So I did that on Memorial Day and Fourth of July. Before long I started making up holidays as an excuse to come to the board -- my children's birthday, Kim's birthday, my Yorkshire terrier's birthday. Before I know it I was back to being here all the time.

Imo, it's kind of like quitting drinking or smoking or drugs. There's no tapering off, no smoking three cigarettes a day. You either quit completely or not at all.
    I understand what you mean. i've been trying to limit visits....and when you have only one message board left you regularly visit due to participation, you kind of miss the others you no longer visit... even ones you quit ten years ago like the home theater forum that just started getting less visitors. even the ones I left under bad circumstances I still occasionally glance at...and then reminded why I left when every thread winds up an argument in under three posts ;o). one nice thing about he-man.org is it has remained one of the more intelligent forums i've ever visited..! and that's one reason not to quit cold turkey even if interest in things like motuc and he-man in general has started to dwindle due to it winding down.

..thanks folks, we'll see what happens over the next few months . I'll still be around .

But it was kind of shocking reminding myself how much the world and myself have changed since I signed up all those years ago ;o).

This is an okay forum but I dont feel any sense of community here . Have 3 or 4 friends here i never really talked to once. No clue why they wanted to be friends . There is awesome collectors and experts here but i wont call this home . I really enjoy the HeMan nostalgia and the "ID this toy please threads ."

I am a mod / village clown of another forum and well it feels like one big happy redneck family indulging in creative writing and sketching and a little poetry . I want to make something for them or i feel guilty . I have a relationship with admin and users I never found anywhere else.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold