Thread: Netflix to reboot Voltron

Netflix to reboot Voltron

As part of an expanded new, multi-year deal between the production partners, Netflix will launch several new series from DreamWorks Animation, including a reimagining of Voltron.

In its original mid-198os incarnation, the animated adventure series followed a team of astronauts who pilot the titular giant super-robot. Later offshoots included Voltron: The Third Dimension (in 1988) and NickToons’ Voltron Force (in 2011).

Also in the animated pipeline is Trollhunters, from Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth, The Strain) and set in a fantastical world where two best friends make a startling discovery beneath their hometown.
    via TV Line
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Hmmm...third time is the charm?

How come Voltron gets so many chances at a comeback?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Technically 4th, original, 3rd dimension, Voltron Force, and now this.

I think it gets so many chances because WEP keeps actively pursuing outlets for the characters. I wish Mattel was as ambitious.
    Is not not licking toads

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Because a super giant robot consisting of giant robot lions killing monsters with a huge sword is always cool.

A near naked tremendously strong guy in furry shorts letting his enemies live to fight another day...not so much.

So I'm thinking entertainment outlets are more keen to give Voltron multiple shots at new shows.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; January 5, 2016 at 04:56pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Voltron is even back in the comic stores again. Though the story seems to involve a future 200 years after Voltron fell in battle. There are flashbacks scenes, but Haggar is the only original character to return so far. I'm not sure how interested I am in this new batch of Voltron pilots. I feel that the MOTU and Jem comics are doing a much better job with these properties.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I'm kind of surprised Voltron is getting another reboot already after the last one failed (I did actually like Voltron Force, though). At least in the U.S., it doesn't seem like Voltron has ever come close to matching the popularity that MOTU has had in the past.

Trailers up!

I'm not sure, but have they (for now) switched Keith and Sven? It looks like maybe the uniform colors are going to match the lion colors--but the characters will still wear the same colors as before, making Sven the leader instead of Keith! I'm betting Sven will still go down, only now more like Ned Stark.

Not sure I like Zarkon's look, but it's not hideous.

I don't know who the anime girl is who greets them, but it doesn't look like how I'd want Allura to look (and where's Coran?).

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to this more now!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Trailers up!

I'm not sure, but have they (for now) switched Keith and Sven? It looks like maybe the uniform colors are going to match the lion colors--but the characters will still wear the same colors as before, making Sven the leader instead of Keith! I'm betting Sven will still go down, only now more like Ned Stark.
    It's possible; I believe one of the comic series that came out a few years ago (probably Voltron Year One, which didn't actually have Voltron in it, IIRC) had Sven as the original leader of the team, and he wound up stepping down after bungling a mission.

This is going to be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    It's possible; I believe one of the comic series that came out a few years ago (probably Voltron Year One, which didn't actually have Voltron in it, IIRC) had Sven as the original leader of the team, and he wound up stepping down after bungling a mission.
    I seem to recall that as well, however, I believe it involved drugs use as the main reason he stepped down as leader. Sven is also no longer his name, he's Shiro, which takes it back to his Japanese GoLion name.

While the uniform colors are all the same for each character (Hunk's was actually orange in the original cartoon) and they do seem to have Sven/Shiro front and center, is he actually piloting Black Lion? He flew the Blue Lion before he was grievously wounded in the original's episode 6, (killed in GoLion) and then Allura took her place in Blue.

I'm sad that they didn't bring the original VA's back for the show, other than Lennie Weinrib (Hunk/Lotor) who passed away in 2006) all of them are still active voicing. Neil Ross (Keith/Pidge), Michael Bell (Lance/Sven), BJ Ward (Allura/Haggar/Nanny), Peter Cullen (Coran), Jack Angel (Zarkon/Yurak), Tress MacNeille (Queen Merla). Listening to the new trailer, none of the space explorers have very distinctive voices, Hunk, Lance, Sven/Shiro, even Pidge, (who's voiced by a woman) sound alike.

Anyone finish this? I felt thelast episode of the season sort of ended abruptly. Is season 2 coming sooner than later?

I haven't finished it yet, probably will tonight. So far I'm enjoying it, my only gripe is Allura's character design, why does she look like a dark elf from Lodoss War? I especially love the voice actor they got for Pidge
    A PONY!!!

"I think it's time to admit the truth, I never grew out of wanting to be a vampire slayer... and probably never will"

MattyCollector, innovators in redefining honestly and transparency since 2015
    I really really hate BS Hordak

Finished season 1 yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The fight scenes were well choreographed and I the designs of the robeasts (can't remember if the call them this still) were pretty cool.

The characters are well done, each having a bit of, for lack of a better word, mystery about them. The uniform and lion designs are cool. Shiro and Allura are my favorites. Loving the castle of lions.

Overall the show kept me really engaged, I found myself getting goosebumps when the team would form Voltron, and it even made me get all treaty eyes a couple times. It's a really well done show, loved the build up of learning about the characters and the world. I hope we get a season 2, especially with how season 1 ends.

And spoiler alert below! Had to talk about a couple things:

Where does Kieth's Anger come from? Pidge is a girl!! Was Zarkon the first black lion paladin? What else can Allura do? I am wondering if she will be able to heal the other planets the Galra have stolen the quintessence from?

You look pretty pumped for somebody without a pulse

Break a leg, break 'em both

Don't Cleopatronize me

Because Voltron is not owned by Mattel.

Anyhow this series was extremely well done and faithful to the original series. Netflix Voltron is much better than other failed 1980s reboots. This very well could be a springboard for a future Voltron movie. The future looks bright for Voltron.

If only they would do this for He-Man. If Only...

So far, I like what I see. However, I'm definitely not keen on the "Coran is the comic relief" nor some of the other cosmetic changes. I also feel nothing when the lions form Voltron, as there it nothing iconic about the music that goes with it. I also don't care for the ridiculous anime, big eyes, tears, etc facial expressions ala Last Airbender.

All I can say is that there had best be a season 2
    A PONY!!!

"I think it's time to admit the truth, I never grew out of wanting to be a vampire slayer... and probably never will"

MattyCollector, innovators in redefining honestly and transparency since 2015
    I really really hate BS Hordak

Watched 3 or 4 so far, I'm really enjoying it! Can't wait for some new figures!

Just finished the series earlier this evening. If you haven't, you should check it out, it's excellent!!!
    Last edited by NorthCoast; June 19, 2016 at 12:22am.
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

I loved it! I hope they make more!!
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Great series. Voltron Force is best forgotten.
    Power flows to the one who knows. G1 Megatron

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I'm about five episodes in, and I'm loving it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I'm definitely not keen on the "Coran is the comic relief" nor some of the other cosmetic changes. I also feel nothing when the lions form Voltron, as there it nothing iconic about the music that goes with it. I also don't care for the ridiculous anime, big eyes, tears, etc facial expressions ala Last Airbender.
    I kind of like comic relief Coran. He's nothing like the original for sure, but I didn't think original Coran brought much to the table in the first place. The anime stuff doesn't really bother me either.

I definitely agree about the formation of Voltron, though. I think the epicness of the original's formation sequence alone is a big part of why the series endured in the hearts of the fans. However, there is nothing special about the new version's sequence whatsoever.

I was interested to see if there would be any toys coming out to go along with this series. I googled it and saw Playmates got the license. Unfortunately, the toys aren't coming until Spring 2017. It seems bizarre to me in this day and age to try to push a toy line (based on a netflix cartoon) a whole year after it comes out.

I watched it all in about a week, week-ana-half.

I liked it alot. I liked that it took it's time unlike most cartoons. I like that if it is successful at this pace they can tell a really deep varied story. American style version, but with Japanese style stakes.

I also liked that Pidge is a girl. I loved hearing Finn the Human. Surprised how much I liked that Kiwi comedian in it.

Had to look up that the japanese black paladin was where they got the name for Sven. It's probably better than Sven. Since I never liked Pidge or Hunk's name it was fine, but it was a neat idea. He going to die eventually? That will be some....stuff.

My thoughts. I liked it and even though the sword was just sword like and not iconic weirdly designed Voltron sword, it was far more practical looking, so it surprisingly didnt bother me.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror
    I also liked that Pidge is a girl.
    Gee, thanks for the spoiler...

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Heroic Warrior
    I like it. I thought that Voltron was formed a bit too quickly and easily and that they rely on Voltron too much instead of showcasing the capabilities of the individual lions. The Voltron transformation sequence is also very underwhelming for me (which may contribute towards my lack of excitement at seeing them form Voltron).

Also, some of Allura's abilities seemed to be very convenient (i.e. only raised / mentioned when required by the plot). Maybe they hinted at them early on and I just missed the hints, but there were some pretty big reveals which seemed to come out of nowhere (and made me question how her people / planet were conquered / destroyed).

Everything else worked pretty well. I hope we learn more about Zoltar, Haggar, etc in season 2.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    This show is incredible.

This is how you reboot an existing property.... many companies should take notes... (MotU 200X almost had the right formula, but missed it by this much.)

The redesigned lions look incredible, and Voltron looks better than he has in years. I'm just really sad that Toynami holds the license to the figures... hopefully a company like Infinity Gokin will produce a set based on the new-look Voltron.
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!