Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2013 sub-line with corrected versions of previous figures. Would you buy it?

New 2013 sub-line with corrected versions of previous figures. Would you buy it?

The number of figures with major issues that have never been fixed is growing steadily. The Stinkor debacle is the latest addition. Mattel has unfortunately made it very clear that we will not get a second run of figures like the Sorceress, King Hiss, Roboto and Stinkor, as this would require an additional SKU.
    So I was thinking maybe a new sub-line that we can subscribe to would be a good solution. It should work exactly like the 30th anniversary sub line but this time with fixed versions of previously released figures.

Here's the advantages that I see:
    • Mattel could make it a subscription-only toy line so that they would know the exact number of figures that need be produced and would have no risk of losing money in the process
    • If they offer this subscription and not enough people sign up, nobody has lost anything as this line is totally unrelated to the normal MOTUC subscription
    • The figures would be cheap to produce as minimal new tooling would be necessary.
    • We would get corrected versions of old figures but these figures would not take up a slot that was supposed to be for a new character
    • As this would be an additional subscription, nobody would be forced to buy it. It would not affect the main MOTUC line in any way

I'm thinking of the following 6 figures for 2013
    • Stratos with corrected wings, and a hand that can actually hold weapons. He could come with a Filmation-accurate Staff of Avion
    • Hordak with full body armor (like Fisto)
    • Roboto with corrected shoulders and 200x head
    • King Hiss with corrected shoulders
    • The Sorceress with a new engineering for her wings that works without the ugly drums and makes full arm movement possible
    • and of course Stinkor with correct forearms and paint apps for his accessories

I know it's stupid that we would have to pay for Mattel's mistakes and buy all these figures again but I'd prefer this solution over not having decent versions of these great characters at all.

So, what do you all think? Is this realistic? Can you see Mattel actually doing this?
    And would you buy this subscription?

Discuss!
    Awesome sticker included!

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    No, i wouldn't buy it for that. I've already bought those figures, i don't want them again. You can't see the drums on the Sorceress from the front, I've fixed Roboto and King Hiss' shoulders, Hordak doesn't need armour like Fisto and I'm not really bothered about Stratos' hands being unable to hold anything. Regarding Stinkor, I wouldn't have noticed if someone hadn't pointed it out, so I'm not really that bothered by that either.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I'm not really bothered by Hordak and Stratos,but the Goddess would definitely need to be included. If the set included the Goddess, a fixed Sorceress, Snout Spout with a normal trunk, I might bite.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I proposed a similar kind of "Fix previous releases" sub-line that I think would be great for new collectors wanting to get onboard.

Did some crappy Photoshop mock-ups to give an idea, thread can be seen HERE.

As the line progresses, it's just a fact of the matter that you'll have fewer buyers for Blast Attak than you would for a revised Beast Man offered to new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I'm thinking of the following 6 figures for 2013
    • Stratos with corrected wings, and a hand that can actually hold weapons. He could come with a Filmation-accurate Staff of Avion
    • Hordak with full body armor (like Fisto)
    • Roboto with corrected shoulders and 200x head
    • King Hiss with corrected shoulders
    • The Sorceress with a new engineering for her wings that works without the ugly drums and makes full arm movement possible
    • and of course Stinkor with correct forearms and paint apps for his accessories

I know it's stupid that we would have to pay for Mattel's mistakes and buy all these figures again but I'd prefer this solution over not having decent versions of these great characters at all.
    I don't know. I really want a Stratos with unglued wings and Beastman feet. I would buy a Sorceress with Emiliano's proposed wing design in a heartbeat. I'd get a Stinkor as well and wouldn't be opposed to Hisss, but he should have better and non-bendable snakes too.
    Don't care too much about Roboto or Hordak, though.

Also, I don't want to send the signal to Mattel that they can produce flawed figures on purpose to sell us corrected versions later on.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I've been in for the sub and the 30th sub so far, but I'd rather not get a sub for modified or "fixed" figures. I don't feel the need to get most of the ones you mentioned fixed. If they found some way to give Sorceress full motion on her arms without the wings going with them, I might buy that figure, but otherwise I'm good with what I have, especially at $30 a pop shipped.

NO!
    Previous released figures from past subscriptions Have no place in the 2013 subscription which has to be 12 all new characters, 4 quarterly varients and 4 Beast/ multi pack Skues. Period!

No... You can discuss all you want for fun and something to do, but the fact remains that Mattel will not do this.

Think about your job... Would you go to your boss and ask for permission to re-do stuff that the consumer "perceived" as incorrect?
    It's simply bad PR for Mattel and the line.

The only true "mistakes" the OP lists above are the shoulders on Hsss & Roboto.
    The other items are personal preferences for how you feel the figures should have been.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

NO way would i buy into this!..im completely happy with the figures i have ...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

No, I would not buy this. The mistakes don't bother me.

Yes i would buy it.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    A lot of "NOs" but I honestly think that people aren't really sure they want something or not until they actually see it.

I just think people immediately bristle at the notion that what they own is somehow inferior and needs to be replaced.

It's natural . . .

Unless they were sold at very reduced prices to the subscriber's who already bought these figures (the logistics would make DR implode), there is no way I would support something like this.

No, mine are fine

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Nope! I'd rather have a sub line with six secondary characters from various media (Filmation, Jetlag, minicomics...)

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Not at all. I think they'll find a way to work a new Goddess into the main line and that's the only one I'm really interested in.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Unless they were sold at very reduced prices to the subscriber's who already bought these figures (the logistics would make DR implode), there is no way I would support something like this.
    Well I don't think it should only be subscribers who got offered them at a lower price. I don't have a sub and have bought both King Hiss & Roboto directly from Matty, does that mean I shouldn't be offered it at a reduced rate purely due to the fact that I don't have a sub? Hardly fair. I even spent more on a defective figure than someone who has a sub did.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I would buy a corrected (Filmation) Sorceress, so yes.

No, because I have already spent my money on those figures. I don't want to shuck out even more money just to get the same figures that Mattel should have made correct the first time.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Heroic Warrior
    From the figures you're talking about only Hsss, Roboto and Stinkor would make sense to be re-released in a sub like that.

Though the Sorceress is not cool and I really hate those drums, she was intended to be that way and it's not a mistake. It may be a poor decision for lack of trying but it's not a mistake. Also the same for Stratos and Hordak. And yes I'd love to have a new version of the Sorceress with better wings.

Now Hsss, Roboto and Stinkor are defective figures, and I'd be in for having them release properly assembled. I would not be buying them again because I never bought Hsss and Roboto. I don't take crap from anyone.

Be it a sub, and I'd be fine with that, but only for defective figures in this case. For figures that were target of poor decisions design wise I'd have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    No, because I have already spent my money on those figures. I don't want to shuck out even more money just to get the same figures that Mattel should have made correct the first time.
    PLUS, who's to say they would get it right this time? You could end up spending even more money and STILL not get the figures made correctly.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

No, I think this just gives Mattel a license to screw up more figures as they know people will just buy a corrected version of the figure later. No thank you. Do it right the first time or make up for your mistakes on your own dime, not mine.

Nope. As much as I want to have corrected figures, I already paid for the incorrect ones.

I kinda wish that with the next incorrect figure and the statement "This is what you get, deal with it", the customer would be able to pay for this incorrect figure with Monopoly money and tell Mattel "Well, incorrect money for incorrect figures. Deal with it".
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    No, I think this just gives Mattel a license to screw up more figures as they know people will just buy a corrected version of the figure later. No thank you. Do it right the first time or make up for your mistakes on your own dime, not mine.
    My sentiment exactly, if Mattel wants to re-release the defective figures with corrected ones, they should offer them to us at face value, if not for free. I'm willing to pay for shipping, but not much more than that.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    My sentiment exactly, if Mattel wants to re-release the defective figures with corrected ones, they should offer them to us at face value, if not for free. I'm willing to pay for shipping, but not much more than that.
    I agree that is how it should be done but let's face it: this is never gonna happen. Mattel will never do that. The idea of this thread is to come up with a realistic solution that both sides (Matty and us) could benefit from.
    Awesome sticker included!