The number of figures with major issues that have never been fixed is growing steadily. The Stinkor debacle is the latest addition. Mattel has unfortunately made it very clear that we will not get a second run of figures like the Sorceress, King Hiss, Roboto and Stinkor, as this would require an additional SKU.
So I was thinking maybe a new sub-line that we can subscribe to would be a good solution. It should work exactly like the 30th anniversary sub line but this time with fixed versions of previously released figures.
Here's the advantages that I see:
- Mattel could make it a subscription-only toy line so that they would know the exact number of figures that need be produced and would have no risk of losing money in the process
- If they offer this subscription and not enough people sign up, nobody has lost anything as this line is totally unrelated to the normal MOTUC subscription
- The figures would be cheap to produce as minimal new tooling would be necessary.
- We would get corrected versions of old figures but these figures would not take up a slot that was supposed to be for a new character
- As this would be an additional subscription, nobody would be forced to buy it. It would not affect the main MOTUC line in any way
I'm thinking of the following 6 figures for 2013
- Stratos with corrected wings, and a hand that can actually hold weapons. He could come with a Filmation-accurate Staff of Avion
- Hordak with full body armor (like Fisto)
- Roboto with corrected shoulders and 200x head
- King Hiss with corrected shoulders
- The Sorceress with a new engineering for her wings that works without the ugly drums and makes full arm movement possible
- and of course Stinkor with correct forearms and paint apps for his accessories
I know it's stupid that we would have to pay for Mattel's mistakes and buy all these figures again but I'd prefer this solution over not having decent versions of these great characters at all.
So, what do you all think? Is this realistic? Can you see Mattel actually doing this?
And would you buy this subscription?